HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 55 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100002
06/15/08 10:23 PM
06/15/08 10:23 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, have you been reading the thread?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100017
06/16/08 02:59 PM
06/16/08 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes. Why do you ask?

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Originally Posted By: Tom
4. It is not evil or a sin to have more than one wife at a time in accordance with the Law of Moses.

TE: You say I haven't proved this, but it's easily seen from this statement that polygamy is "contrary to God's will" and has not been sanctioned by Him "in a single instance" (this means it wasn't sanctioned in the law of Moses, since "not in a single instance" means "not ever").

Do you agree polygamy was permitted in the Law of Moses?

PS – I’m having trouble applying your thoughts on "permit versus sanctioned" as they relate to the Law of Moses in regard to polygamy. The man who refused to “perform the duty” toward his deceased brother's wife was shamefully branded – “The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.” See Deut 25:5-10. She also "spit in his face".

You wrote, “There was never a time when God approved of polygamy. It is a violation of the law of God, a sin. It is an evil Jesus came to correct.” And yet you believe God permitted it in the Law of Moses. In my mind, you are implying, if not outright saying, God permitted sinning in the Law of Moses. This doesn’t make sense to me, Tom.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100064
06/18/08 01:33 AM
06/18/08 01:33 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM, have you been reading the thread?

Yes. Why do you ask?

Because you asked me, "Do you agree polygamy was permitted in the Law of Moses?" If you've been reading what I said, you have no reason to ask this question.

Quote:
PS – I’m having trouble applying your thoughts on "permit versus sanctioned" as they relate to the Law of Moses in regard to polygamy.

As I've explained a number of times, God made accommodations to the Israelites because of the hardness of their hearts. Jesus refers to this in regards to divorce. To permit something means to allow for it to happen. To sanction something means to approve of it. God never approved of polygamy, in a single instance. This is what EGW means when she says, "God has not sanctioned polygamy in a single instance."

Sanction means "formal and explicit approval."

Quote:
The man who refused to “perform the duty” toward his deceased brother's wife was shamefully branded – “The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.” See Deut 25:5-10. She also "spit in his face".

You wrote, “There was never a time when God approved of polygamy. It is a violation of the law of God, a sin. It is an evil Jesus came to correct.” And yet you believe God permitted it in the Law of Moses. In my mind, you are implying, if not outright saying, God permitted sinning in the Law of Moses. This doesn’t make sense to me, Tom.

Actually Ellen White said that there was a never a time when God approved of polygamy. I just repeated what she said.

Jesus spoke of divorce being permitted because of the hardness of man's heart. Divorce is a sin, unless the person's partner had committed adultery. Do you disagree?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100082
06/18/08 04:26 PM
06/18/08 04:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: As I've explained a number of times, God made accommodations to the Israelites because of the hardness of their hearts.

MM: Are you saying God permitted them to sin because they were hardened by sinning? That's a weird way to help them cease sinning, isn't it?

---

TE: Actually Ellen White said that there was a never a time when God approved of polygamy. I just repeated what she said.

MM: Did she also say, as you do, that God permitted them to sin by giving them a law which permitted polygamy under specific circumstances?

---

TE: Divorce is a sin, unless the person's partner had committed adultery. Do you disagree?

MM: Yes, I agree. So divorce is not a sin under certain circumstances, right? And under those circumstances it is not permitted because of the hardness of the offended spouse's heart, right?

---

MM: The man who refused to “perform the duty” toward his deceased brother's wife was shamefully branded – “The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.” See Deut 25:5-10. She also "spit in his face".

The Law of Moses concerning those circumstances where polygamy is "permitted" (if you please) is not worded in such a way that leads me to conclude as you have. How do you explain Deut 25:5-10?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100087
06/18/08 05:45 PM
06/18/08 05:45 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: As I've explained a number of times, God made accommodations to the Israelites because of the hardness of their hearts.

MM: Are you saying God permitted them to sin because they were hardened by sinning? That's a weird way to help them cease sinning, isn't it?

Jesus said that Moses permitted them divorce because of the hardness of their hearts.

Quote:
He said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so."(Matt. 19:8)

---

Quote:
TE: Actually Ellen White said that there was a never a time when God approved of polygamy. I just repeated what she said.

MM: Did she also say, as you do, that God permitted them to sin by giving them a law which permitted polygamy under specific circumstances?

I didn't say this. You're question is extremely poorly phrased. I think you'd be better off quoting something I said, and ask me about that. Basically I just quoted her and said what she said. I don't recall doing anything other than that. If you think I did, please quote what I said. Please don't rephrase it as something you know I didn't say.
---

Quote:

TE: Divorce is a sin, unless the person's partner had committed adultery. Do you disagree?

MM: Yes, I agree.

Good.

Quote:
So divorce is not a sin under certain circumstances, right?

For at least one of the two individuals involved, divorce is the result of sin.

Quote:
And under those circumstances it is not permitted because of the hardness of the offended spouse's heart, right?

This is a poorly phrased question. You are speaking of a circumstance where divorce is permitted, and asking a question which has as a part of its premise "it is not permitted ..." What sense does that make?

Here's an analogy. In the state of California, on sunny days it is permitted to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet because of people's laziness. Question: Under these circumstances, it is not permitted because of people's laziness, right?

Hopefully you see the problem with asking a question like this.
---

Quote:
MM: The man who refused to “perform the duty” toward his deceased brother's wife was shamefully branded – “The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.” See Deut 25:5-10. She also "spit in his face".

The Law of Moses concerning those circumstances where polygamy is "permitted" (if you please) is not worded in such a way that leads me to conclude as you have. How do you explain Deut 25:5-10?

Roy Gane wrote:

Quote:
3. I agree that divine revelation is progressive. God is continually leading his people to a higher standard (e.g., Isaiah; Matt 5). Examples could fill several volumes....

4. I agree with Larson that we need to trace the trajectory of Scripture in order to follow the direction it is leading, even when this means moving beyond (but never contrary to, I would add) explicit statements of Scripture. For example, in the Bible there are no explicit divine commands prohibiting everyone from practicing all forms of slavery or polygamy under all circumstances. However, we see in Scripture that God did not initiate these institutions and did not like them. He undermined them by teaching the value of each human being, and regulated them to mitigate their worst effects in an age when completely abolishing them would have resulted in starvation for debt-servants and for rejected women. We correctly deduce that in harmony with the biblical message, Christians must never practice slavery or polygamy. (http://spectrummagazine.typepad.com/the_spectrum_blog/2006/09/reply_to_scrive.html)

Please note especially the underlined portion. I think Gane is on the right track here. It looks to agree with the statements we've seen that polygamy is contrary to God's will, a sin, and never sanctioned by Him in a single instance.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100095
06/19/08 02:21 PM
06/19/08 02:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, by "permitting" polygamy in the Law of Moses did God permit sinning? Or, are there certain, specific circumstances under which polygamy is not a sin?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100118
06/20/08 04:42 AM
06/20/08 04:42 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I've repeatedly cited the SOP quotes which state that

a.God did not sanction (this means "approve") polygamy in a single instance (this means ever; i.e. God never, even once, approved of polyamy).

b.Polygamy is contrary to God's will.

c.Polyagmy became so common that it ceased to be regarding as a sin, but that didn't make it any less a violation of the law of God.

How can you read these things and not know the answer to your question? In particular, how is the statement that God did not sanction polygamy in a single instance not understood.

What is it you think constitutes a sin? How is it even possible that something which is contrary to God's will, contrary to His law, could sometimes be a sin and sometimes not?

Does this apply to other commandments as well? For example, the first commandment. Are there times when having some other god before God is not a sin?

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100148
06/24/08 06:22 AM
06/24/08 06:22 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, I've repeatedly cited the SOP quotes which state that

a.God did not sanction (this means "approve") polygamy in a single instance (this means ever; i.e. God never, even once, approved of polyamy).

b.Polygamy is contrary to God's will.

c.Polyagmy became so common that it ceased to be regarding as a sin, but that didn't make it any less a violation of the law of God.

How can you read these things and not know the answer to your question? In particular, how is the statement that God did not sanction polygamy in a single instance not understood.

What is it you think constitutes a sin? How is it even possible that something which is contrary to God's will, contrary to His law, could sometimes be a sin and sometimes not?

Does this apply to other commandments as well? For example, the first commandment. Are there times when having some other god before God is not a sin?

Tom, your above (quoted) statement would be too clear to dodge if it were to be submitted in a court of law. It is quite clear that you are saying, without phrasing it thus, that:

ALL POLYGAMY IS SIN.

Particularly, point C stands out--for you have explicitly stated that polygamy is "a violation of the law of God." Few of us would ever misunderstand you to think that you are NOT equating polygamy with sin.

Now, here's the contradiction...you seem to misunderstand the question, and try to dodge the "bullet points" by throwing back at MM that, quote: "I didn't say this. You're question is extremely poorly phrased. I think you'd be better off quoting something I said, and ask me about that."

To be fair, perhaps you hadn't said exactly what MM had summarized, but the data was there for those who put a simple two and two together.

Now, let's assume for a moment, Tom, that you are correct in the following:

1) All polygamy is sin.
2) God never sanctioned polygamy (from EGW quote).
3) Divorce was "permitted" because of "the hardness of your hearts" (quoting Jesus).

I would like to ask you, as MM did, what is your interpretation of those "Levitical" laws regarding treatment of additional wives?

From your previous statements in this discussion to date, Tom, I, being an imperfect interpreter, would be forced to the conclusion that the only way you could logically hold to your expressed view, without contradicting yourself, would be for you to somehow undermine the "Mosaic" laws as not having been given by God Himself. For example, Exodus 21, where God is speaking from Mt. Sinai...must have been a work of fiction by Moses. Did Moses sin in writing these "fictional" laws?

God cannot be understood by our own finite wisdom and logic. Ellen White may very well be 100% accurate in her statements regarding God "sanctioning" polygamy. But, I tend to believe that God never exactly "sanctioned" meat-eating either. God was angry when He yielded to the request of the children of Israel for flesh in giving them quail to eat. Does it mean that, since God gave them the quail, we should all be eating quail? Does it mean that God sanctions the eating of quail? Of course not! The same is true here.

Polygamy may not be sanctioned, but it MAY be permitted and/or commanded. God commanded Saul to kill the Amalekites. Was Samuel lying when he told Saul "And the LORD sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed." (1 Samuel 15:18, KJV) Of course not. Then does God command all of us to do the same? Again, of course not. Did God "sanction" genocide? Of course not! But did He command it?

This distinction between "command" and "sanction" should be clear. To command is not always to sanction and to sanction is not always to command. The two are NOT synonymous.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100152
06/24/08 05:11 PM
06/24/08 05:11 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God was angry when He yielded to the request of the children of Israel for flesh in giving them quail to eat.

Angry how? Like we get angry? Ticked off? Became impatient?

Quote:
Does it mean that, since God gave them the quail, we should all be eating quail? Does it mean that God sanctions the eating of quail? Of course not! The same is true here.

I think divorce and polygamy would make a better comparison. It looks to me like your point is that while God did not sanction the eating of meat, he permitted it, as He did with polygamy. If this is your point, I agree with that.

Quote:
Polygamy may not be sanctioned, but it MAY be permitted and/or commanded.

I agree it could be permitted, but not commanded as the term is ordinarily understood. If you command someone to do something, then you become morally responsible for that command being executed. If polygamy is a violation of God's law and contrary to His will, then God would be moral responsible for the violation of His own law. I don't see the sense in that.

Quote:
God commanded Saul to kill the Amalekites. Was Samuel lying when he told Saul "And the LORD sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed." (1 Samuel 15:18, KJV) Of course not. Then does God command all of us to do the same? Again, of course not. Did God "sanction" genocide? Of course not! But did He command it?

I would say no, not in the sense that we commonly understand the word "command." Again, if He did, He would be morally responsible for genocide. He would be sanctioning it.

It's the same as if you command your child to eat pork. You are morally responsible for the action your child undertakes. I don't see how in such an instance you could argue that you were not sanctioning your child's eating pork.

Quote:
This distinction between "command" and "sanction" should be clear. To command is not always to sanction and to sanction is not always to command. The two are NOT synonymous.

I agree they are not synonyms. Commanding someone to do something is stronger than merely sanctioning some action. You can sanction something without commanding it. To sanction is to formally approve of something. I don't see how you can command someone to do something, as we understand "command," without sanctioning it. For example, in the hypothetical case where you command you child to eat pork, how are you not sanctioning the eating of pork?

Regarding your questions about the law of Moses, I don't believe the law of Moses by any means represents God's ideal will. It was an accommodation made for a backward and stiffnecked people. God's ideal will was perfectly revealed by Jesus Christ.

For example, from Jesus Christ we learn that divorce was given as an accommodation due to the hardness of men's hearts. Surely no one would argue that the law of Moses demonstrates God's idea will in terms of how women should be treated. From Jesus Christ we learn that it is not "eye for eye" and "tooth for tooth" that is God's ideal will, but "turn your other cheek," "walk the second mile," and "love your enemy."

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100155
06/24/08 06:03 PM
06/24/08 06:03 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
If I command someone under my control to do something immoral then I am responsible, but what if I command a free moral agent to do something immoral? Is it still my fault if they do it? Does it say anything about me if they do it or is it an indictment on the one who does it?

God seemingly told Israel to do a lot of thing, but in reality what they choose to do was indicative of the sin in their hearts. God told them to commit genocide, but they are the ones who willingly chose to do it, they are the ones responsible for doing it, and they are the ones with murder in their hearts.

We have the example of God telling Moses that He would kill Israel and make a nation from his seed. Moses refused and was called a man after God’s own heart. Had Moses agreed to God’s suggestion would he have reflected what was in God’s heart or his own?

scott

Page 20 of 55 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!