HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 55 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100163
06/24/08 11:31 PM
06/24/08 11:31 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott
If I command someone under my control to do something immoral then I am responsible, but what if I command a free moral agent to do something immoral? Is it still my fault if they do it? Does it say anything about me if they do it or is it an indictment on the one who does it?

God seemingly told Israel to do a lot of thing, but in reality what they choose to do was indicative of the sin in their hearts. God told them to commit genocide, but they are the ones who willingly chose to do it, they are the ones responsible for doing it, and they are the ones with murder in their hearts.

We have the example of God telling Moses that He would kill Israel and make a nation from his seed. Moses refused and was called a man after God’s own heart. Had Moses agreed to God’s suggestion would he have reflected what was in God’s heart or his own?

scott

So, Scott, when GOD tells you to do something, you're going to just know that God didn't really mean for you to do it, since God doesn't mean what He says. You will know that you are supposed to use your own human judgment and wisdom in order to refuse the orders and deliberately disobey GOD. You will, in fact, be HONORING GOD BY DISOBEYING HIM.

Abraham should never have ascended Mount Moriah.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100164
06/24/08 11:45 PM
06/24/08 11:45 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Scott has committed the logical fallacy of starting with a false premise. The false premise he has used is this: "God may command us to do something immoral." I would invite anyone here to show me from Scripture even one instance of God doing this.

And Abraham is in God's Hall of Fame...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100167
06/25/08 05:47 AM
06/25/08 05:47 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, how would it possible to show anything from Scripture where God commands one to do something immoral? Wouldn't you just automatically define anything recorded as a command as being OK?

Do the Scriptures record God as commanding:
a.genocide
b.cutting of a woman's hand as punishment for her getting involved in a fight between two men, one of them her husband
c.polygamy
d.taking any woman seen as attractive as one's own woman, after killing her husband

Are these moral acts?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100168
06/25/08 06:08 AM
06/25/08 06:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
GC, how would it possible to show anything from Scripture where God commands one to do something immoral? Wouldn't you just automatically define anything recorded as a command as being OK?

Do the Scriptures record God as commanding:
a.genocide
b.cutting of a woman's hand as punishment for her getting involved in a fight between two men, one of them her husband
c.polygamy
d.taking any woman seen as attractive as one's own woman, after killing her husband

Are these moral acts?

Tom,

That's certainly a fair question. May I reply with a question?

What is "moral" about any of the following divine commands?

a. Commanding to stone a Sabbath-breaker
b. Killing an innocent lamb
c. Choosing a national punishment for one's personal sin (resulted in God slaying 70,000 in Israel)
d. Cursing the ground with thorns
e. Cursing women with labor pains in childbirth
f. Sending God Himself to a criminal's death!

Sin is a very drastic problem, requiring equally drastic measures of dealing with it. I don't believe in anything even close to what you have called "God's ideal will" applies to ANY of the methods of dealing with sin. Back to the fallacy of "false premise." Anything that claims to be "God's ideal will", and deals with treatment of sin and/or sinners, implies that sin must exist within the realm of "God's ideal will."

I am not God. I tremble to suggest what may or may not be His ideal will. But I choose to believe that "God's ideal will" NEVER held any place for sin. It was a perfect universe. Ideally, it would have always remained so.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100172
06/25/08 04:32 PM
06/25/08 04:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
GC, you wrote:

Quote:
(false premise)"God may command us to do something immoral." I would invite anyone here to show me from Scripture even one instance of God doing this.

I mentioned 4 such instances, and you added even more. I'm a bit confused as to what your point is. Please explain.

Thanks.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100189
06/25/08 06:18 PM
06/25/08 06:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here is what it says in the SOP about the status of the Law of Moses:

Quote:
The minds of the people, blinded and debased by slavery and heathenism, were not prepared to appreciate fully the far-reaching principles of God's ten precepts. That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. These laws were called judgments, both because they were framed in infinite wisdom and equity and because the magistrates were to give judgment according to them. Unlike the Ten Commandments, they were delivered privately to Moses, who was to communicate them to the people. {PP 310.1}

The first of these laws related to servants. In ancient times criminals were sometimes sold into slavery by the judges; in some cases, debtors were sold by their creditors; and poverty even led persons to sell themselves or their children. But a Hebrew could not be sold as a slave for life. His term of service was limited to six years; on the seventh he was to be set at liberty. Manstealing, deliberate murder, and rebellion against parental authority were to be punished with death. The holding of slaves not of Israelitish birth was permitted, but their life and person were strictly guarded. The murderer of a slave was to be punished; an injury inflicted upon one by his master, though no more than the loss of a tooth, entitled him to his freedom. {PP 310.2}

The Israelites had lately been servants themselves, and now that they were to have servants under them, they were to beware of indulging the spirit of cruelty and exaction from which they had suffered under their Egyptian taskmasters. The memory of their own bitter servitude should enable them to put themselves in the servant's place, leading them to be kind and compassionate, to deal with others as they would wish to be dealt with. {PP 310.3}

The rights of widows and orphans were especially guarded, and a tender regard for their helpless condition was enjoined. "If thou afflict them in any wise," the Lord declared, "and they cry at all unto Me, I will surely hear their cry; and My wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless." Aliens who united themselves with Israel were to be protected from wrong or oppression. "Thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt." {PP 310.4}

The taking of usury from the poor was forbidden. A poor man's raiment or blanket taken as a pledge, must be restored to him at nightfall. He who was guilty of theft was required to restore double. Respect for magistrates and rulers was enjoined, and judges were warned against perverting judgment, aiding a false cause, or receiving bribes. Calumny and slander were prohibited, and acts of kindness enjoined, even toward personal enemies. {PP 311.1}

Again the people were reminded of the sacred obligation of the Sabbath. Yearly feasts were appointed, at which all the men of the nation were to assemble before the Lord, bringing to Him their offerings of gratitude and the first fruits of His bounties. The object of all these regulations was stated: they proceeded from no exercise of mere arbitrary sovereignty; all were given for the good of Israel. The Lord said, "Ye shall be holy men unto Me"--worthy to be acknowledged by a holy God. {PP 311.2}

These laws were to be recorded by Moses, and carefully treasured as the foundation of the national law, and, with the ten precepts which they were given to illustrate, the condition of the fulfillment of God's promises to Israel. {PP 311.3}

She is clear:

1. That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments.

2. These laws were to be recorded by Moses, and carefully treasured as the foundation of the national law, and, with the ten precepts which they were given to illustrate, the condition of the fulfillment of God's promises to Israel.

None of the insights outlined herein support Tom's assertions that the Law of Moses does not illustrate God's will.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100191
06/25/08 06:38 PM
06/25/08 06:38 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, just think a bit. Do you really think God wanted women's hands to be cut off?

You wrote:

Quote:
None of the insights outlined herein support Tom's assertions that the Law of Moses does not illustrate God's will.

It's amazing to me how often you misquote me! You're batting average must be something like 1 in a 100. I never said this. Please quote me. Please quote me. Please quote me.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100194
06/25/08 06:51 PM
06/25/08 06:51 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
 Originally Posted By: scott
If I command someone under my control to do something immoral then I am responsible, but what if I command a free moral agent to do something immoral? Is it still my fault if they do it? Does it say anything about me if they do it or is it an indictment on the one who does it?

God seemingly told Israel to do a lot of thing, but in reality what they choose to do was indicative of the sin in their hearts. God told them to commit genocide, but they are the ones who willingly chose to do it, they are the ones responsible for doing it, and they are the ones with murder in their hearts.

We have the example of God telling Moses that He would kill Israel and make a nation from his seed. Moses refused and was called a man after God’s own heart. Had Moses agreed to God’s suggestion would he have reflected what was in God’s heart or his own?

scott

So, Scott, when GOD tells you to do something, you're going to just know that God didn't really mean for you to do it, since God doesn't mean what He says. You will know that you are supposed to use your own human judgment and wisdom in order to refuse the orders and deliberately disobey GOD. You will, in fact, be HONORING GOD BY DISOBEYING HIM.

Abraham should never have ascended Mount Moriah.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

I think that is a fair question.

My answer is that if God asked me to do something immoral I would absolutly tell Him NO! And I would use the authority of the law to back up my decision.

Simply put if God told me to kill you I would refuse. He would have to kill me instead!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100195
06/25/08 07:07 PM
06/25/08 07:07 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Scott has committed the logical fallacy of starting with a false premise. The false premise he has used is this: "God may command us to do something immoral." I would invite anyone here to show me from Scripture even one instance of God doing this.

And Abraham is in God's Hall of Fame...

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

I always thought that morality was defined by the law? Does God position and power place Him outside the law or is the law a transcript of His character? Therefore when the law says "Thou shalt not murder it is a simply statement saying, "It isn't in God's character to murder! God doesn't murder!"

Hi GC,

I believe the false premise is yours. If God created you a free moral agent and tells you to jump off a cliff then the jumping is your fault, not His! Maybe He will suspend gravity or not, but that's up to Him.

Coming to God is not a voluntary revocation of our freedom, but a restoration of our freedom. The best way for God to show us the deepest sin in our hearts is to give us permission to act immorally and believe that we are carrying out God's will while all the time acting according to our own desire. The truth is a two edged sword that exposes the sin in our lives.

Don't you think that the safest place to live for eternity is with individuals who wouldn't sin against me even if God told them too?

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100197
06/25/08 07:44 PM
06/25/08 07:44 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The best way for God to show us the deepest sin in our hearts is to give us permission to act immorally and believe that we are carrying out God's will while all the time acting according to our own desire. The truth is a two edged sword that exposes the sin in our lives.

This is an interesting observation. Please flesh this out.

Page 21 of 55 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!