HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 55 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 54 55
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100201
06/25/08 09:38 PM
06/25/08 09:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, just think a bit. Do you really think God wanted women's hands to be cut off?

Yes, of course, otherwise He would not have included it in the Law of Moses. I have a question for you - Do you really think God intended for Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death? Or, was Moses too hardhearted and stiff-necked for God to command him to what He really wanted to do (i.e. let the guy off the hook)?

Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: None of the insights outlined herein support Tom's assertions that the Law of Moses does not illustrate God's will.

TE: It's amazing to me how often you misquote me! You're batting average must be something like 1 in a 100. I never said this. Please quote me. Please quote me. Please quote me.

Here’s what you posted: “I don't believe the law of Moses by any means represents God's ideal will. It was an accommodation made for a backward and stiffnecked people. God's ideal will was perfectly revealed by Jesus Christ.” How did I misstate your position?

Green Cochoa already addressed the problem with your case. In addition to what he wrote, please consider the following points you have made:

Roy Gane: “However, we see in Scripture that God did not initiate these institutions and did not like them. He undermined them by teaching the value of each human being, and regulated them to mitigate their worst effects in an age when completely abolishing them would have resulted in starvation for debt-servants and for rejected women.”

TE: I think Gane is on the right track here. It looks to agree with the statements we've seen that polygamy is contrary to God's will, a sin, and never sanctioned by Him in a single instance.

a. God did not sanction (this means "approve") polygamy in a single instance (this means ever; i.e. God never, even once, approved of polyamy).

b. Polygamy is contrary to God's will.

c. Polyagmy became so common that it ceased to be regarding as a sin, but that didn't make it any less a violation of the law of God.

GC: Polygamy may not be sanctioned, but it MAY be permitted and/or commanded.

TE: I agree it could be permitted, but not commanded as the term is ordinarily understood. If you command someone to do something, then you become morally responsible for that command being executed. If polygamy is a violation of God's law and contrary to His will, then God would be morally responsible for the violation of His own law. I don't see the sense in that.

In light of the case you have made, it seems rather obvious you believe God cannot, in good conscience, permit polygamy in the Law of Moses. It would mean, according to you, that God would be morally responsible for someone sinning if they acted in harmony with the Law of Moses as it pertains to polygamy. How can anyone conclude differently?

But, Sister White is clear:

1. “That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments.”

2. “These laws were to be recorded by Moses, and carefully treasured as the foundation of the national law, and, with the ten precepts which they were given to illustrate, the condition of the fulfillment of God's promises to Israel.”

These insights make it clear that the Law of Moses represented the ideal will of God for Israel. Obedience to them was one of the conditions upon which God was willing to bless them and make of them a great nation.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100202
06/25/08 09:46 PM
06/25/08 09:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Scott: Don't you think that the safest place to live for eternity is with individuals who wouldn't sin against me even if God told them too?

MM: God commanded the loyal angels to forcibly drive the evil angels out of heaven, to cast them down to earth. They obeyed God's command and "there was war in heaven".

God has also promised, "Affliction shall not rise up the second time." Thus, we know God will never ask us to war against someone in heaven or in the new earth.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100208
06/25/08 10:43 PM
06/25/08 10:43 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM, just think a bit. Do you really think God wanted women's hands to be cut off?

Yes, of course, otherwise He would not have included it in the Law of Moses.

You really think God wanted women's hands to be cut off? Forget about the fact that it's in the law of Moses. Please explain to me how you can think that God wanted women's hands to be cut off.

Quote:
I have a question for you - Do you really think God intended for Moses to stone the Sabbath-breaker to death? Or, was Moses too hardhearted and stiff-necked for God to command him to what He really wanted to do (i.e. let the guy off the hook)?

I'll defer to Scott on this, as I agree with his points, and he's dealing with this very subject.

Quote:

MM: None of the insights outlined herein support Tom's assertions that the Law of Moses does not illustrate God's will.

TE: It's amazing to me how often you misquote me! You're batting average must be something like 1 in a 100. I never said this. Please quote me. Please quote me. Please quote me.

Here’s what you posted: “I don't believe the law of Moses by any means represents God's ideal will. It was an accommodation made for a backward and stiffnecked people. God's ideal will was perfectly revealed by Jesus Christ.” How did I misstate your position?

You wrote:

Quote:
None of the insights outlined herein support Tom's assertions that the Law of Moses does not illustrate God's will.

What I wrote is very clear. I'm saying the law of Moses does not represent God's ideal will, and that Jesus Christ does. What you wrote makes it sound like I don't think the law of Moses illustrates God's will in any way. Can't you see the difference? If you can't, please just play it safe and quote me.

Quote:
Green Cochoa already addressed the problem with your case. In addition to what he wrote, please consider the following points you have made:

Roy Gane: “However, we see in Scripture that God did not initiate these institutions and did not like them. He undermined them by teaching the value of each human being, and regulated them to mitigate their worst effects in an age when completely abolishing them would have resulted in starvation for debt-servants and for rejected women.”

TE: I think Gane is on the right track here. It looks to agree with the statements we've seen that polygamy is contrary to God's will, a sin, and never sanctioned by Him in a single instance.

a. God did not sanction (this means "approve") polygamy in a single instance (this means ever; i.e. God never, even once, approved of polyamy).

b. Polygamy is contrary to God's will.

c. Polyagmy became so common that it ceased to be regarding as a sin, but that didn't make it any less a violation of the law of God.

GC: Polygamy may not be sanctioned, but it MAY be permitted and/or commanded.

TE: I agree it could be permitted, but not commanded as the term is ordinarily understood. If you command someone to do something, then you become morally responsible for that command being executed. If polygamy is a violation of God's law and contrary to His will, then God would be morally responsible for the violation of His own law. I don't see the sense in that.

In light of the case you have made, it seems rather obvious you believe God cannot, in good conscience, permit polygamy in the Law of Moses. It would mean, according to you, that God would be morally responsible for someone sinning if they acted in harmony with the Law of Moses as it pertains to polygamy. How can anyone conclude differently?

Permitting something is not the same as commanding it. I addressed my comments to God's commanding it. I also was careful to point out that I was speaking of commanding as we ordinarily understand the term to mean.

That God permits certain things in times of ignorance is in harmony with His character, and directly stated in Scripture, as well as there being countless examples of His so doing.

Quote:

But, Sister White is clear:

1. “That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments.”

2. “These laws were to be recorded by Moses, and carefully treasured as the foundation of the national law, and, with the ten precepts which they were given to illustrate, the condition of the fulfillment of God's promises to Israel.”

I agree with this.

Quote:
These insights make it clear that the Law of Moses represented the ideal will of God for Israel.

Not at all! Jesus Christ represented the ideal will of God. She is clear about that, as is Scripture. John, for example, says that the law came through Moses but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. What do you think he meant by that?

Quote:
Obedience to them was one of the conditions upon which God was willing to bless them and make of them a great nation.

Obedience to the 10 commandments are the conditions of blessing, and that's not an arbitrary rule, but just a description of reality. As we live in harmony with the principles of God's character, principles of agape, blessings will follow. The law of Moses was an accommodation for a backward and stiffnecked people. It was the best directions God could give to these people, in the condition in which they found themselves. However, it's clear that these instructions are different than what Jesus revealed in the Sermon on the Mount. Why the difference? Because Jesus was neither backward nor stiffnecked. Jesus understood the love of God, and knew His ideal will, which He perfectly revealed.

How do you explain the difference between the law of Moses and Jesus' teaching? If the law of Moses was God's ideal will, then there should be no difference between it and what Jesus taught.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Mountain Man] #100212
06/25/08 11:41 PM
06/25/08 11:41 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Scott: Don't you think that the safest place to live for eternity is with individuals who wouldn't sin against me even if God told them too?

MM: God commanded the loyal angels to forcibly drive the evil angels out of heaven, to cast them down to earth. They obeyed God's command and "there was war in heaven".

God has also promised, "Affliction shall not rise up the second time." Thus, we know God will never ask us to war against someone in heaven or in the new earth.

Hi MM,

You seem to be under the impression that God's government is a dictatorship. If that be the case then why does God desire to change our hearts and minds? Why not just command and kill all those who don't obey?

The reason sin doesn't rise again is because the hearts of the saved agree with God and the evidence of God's love and freedom make them worship Him crying, "Holy, Holy, Holy". They actually admire and adore His character and fully agree with the way He does things. This type of adoration doesn't come by force or command. That would be impossible!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Tom] #100218
06/26/08 01:20 AM
06/26/08 01:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
GC, you wrote:

Quote:
(false premise)"God may command us to do something immoral." I would invite anyone here to show me from Scripture even one instance of God doing this.

I mentioned 4 such instances, and you added even more. I'm a bit confused as to what your point is. Please explain.

Thanks.

I recognize that we may be straying some from a direct conversation about polygamy, but I feel that we are getting deeper to the core of the issue, whereas polygamy is just a surface issue. Therefore, this discussion is getting the more interesting.

My point is that your interpretation of "moral" may be just your own opinion. Was it immoral of David to kill Goliath? In other words, I don't believe that any of the those was immoral. If God commands, we must obey, and to obey is the ONLY morally-correct choice we can make, for God does not lie, nor deceive.

Originally Posted By: THE HOLY BIBLE

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man. James 1:13

When we do things FOR GOD'S HONOR, in obedience to His voice, we cannot go wrong, no matter what our fallible human reasoning may try to tell us. We can be thankful that Abraham did not spoil the lesson for future generations by reasoning that surely God did not mean what He said in telling him to kill his only son, the child of promise!

To answer an earlier question, yes, I believe God commanded genocide. To interpret any other way is rather difficult when the Bible expressly gives us this historical record. Again, the reason behind it is of paramount importance. God was merely using the children of Israel to execute judgment on those who had filled their cup with iniquities.

Tom, I understand that you believe God never destroys anyone. You believe that they are destroyed by the devil, or that they have self-destructed by their own sins. You feel that God merely "allows" this. Your view of God may change one day, but whether or not it does, I cannot accept this view--for it is unbiblical.

Do you know who was the very first being to kill?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100220
06/26/08 01:30 AM
06/26/08 01:30 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
If I command someone under my control to do something immoral then I am responsible, but what if I command a free moral agent to do something immoral? Is it still my fault if they do it? Does it say anything about me if they do it or is it an indictment on the one who does it?

God seemingly told Israel to do a lot of thing, but in reality what they choose to do was indicative of the sin in their hearts. God told them to commit genocide, but they are the ones who willingly chose to do it, they are the ones responsible for doing it, and they are the ones with murder in their hearts.

We have the example of God telling Moses that He would kill Israel and make a nation from his seed. Moses refused and was called a man after God’s own heart. Had Moses agreed to God’s suggestion would he have reflected what was in God’s heart or his own?

scott

So, Scott, when GOD tells you to do something, you're going to just know that God didn't really mean for you to do it, since God doesn't mean what He says. You will know that you are supposed to use your own human judgment and wisdom in order to refuse the orders and deliberately disobey GOD. You will, in fact, be HONORING GOD BY DISOBEYING HIM.

Abraham should never have ascended Mount Moriah.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

I think that is a fair question.

My answer is that if God asked me to do something immoral I would absolutly tell Him NO! And I would use the authority of the law to back up my decision.

Simply put if God told me to kill you I would refuse. He would have to kill me instead!

scott

By so saying, you have also told us that you would never have passed the Abraham test. You would never have so much as begun a journey to kill your own son, even though you recognized God's voice as giving you that command.

Again, your view of God is flawed. You have elected to pass God's words and commands through a filter of your own reasoning to determine whether or not you can trust them. That is a very unsafe and unsound position to adhere to, and I wish I had eloquence enough to alert you to the danger, but I'm afraid I do not. Because anyone so confident as to trust his or her own reasoning above a "thus saith the Lord" will also be so strong-minded as to not be able to see light in another's presentation of the truth. I am not God, and even if I were, you would trust your own judgment above God's!!!

This scripture bears repeating:

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." James 1:13

Blessings,

Green Cochoa

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100221
06/26/08 01:33 AM
06/26/08 01:33 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi GC,

It seems like the only reason you can't accept Tom's view of God is two fold.

First it is because you have a fundamentalist view of the scriptures.

Second is that you don't accept Christ's authority over the scriptures. You have developed a picture of God through the prophets of the OT and then you try to add the revelation of God through Christ to your already developed view.

You might want to consider that in order to be fair to all the scriptures Jesus, in the NT, claims authority over the scriptures. And the very thing that Christ came to do was to reveal the character of the Father to those who memorized the scriptures, kept the Sabbath, and were very health conscience.

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100222
06/26/08 01:48 AM
06/26/08 01:48 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi GC,

Quote:
by GC: By so saying, you have also told us that you would never have passed the Abraham test. You would never have so much as begun a journey to kill your own son, even though you recognized God's voice as giving you that command.

Had I Abraham’s view of God I probably would have done the same as he. The difference is that I’ve seen the Messiah who was sent to reveal God. The life and words of Christ are my moral standard. Abraham was raised in a time when it was common for the gods to require child sacrifice. Abraham didn’t wrestle with the moral implications of killing his son. His only problem was the fact that he loved his son and it was a hard thing to do to kill him. Abraham actually believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead or I doubt he would have done it anyway.

Anyway God didn’t want Abraham to kill his son. He wanted Abraham to experience what it was like to give up his son. Abraham was given a view into the heart and love of God. And the result was the end of human sacrifice for the children of Abraham. God changed Abraham’s paradigm from “I’ll appease God with the sacrifice of my Son” to “God will provide His Son to appease our need to experience His love”!

You talk as though we’ve never seen Christ and experienced God’s grace. Had Abraham known Christ the whole demonstration with Isaac wouldn’t have been necessary!

scott

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: scott] #100223
06/26/08 04:17 AM
06/26/08 04:17 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Hi GC,

Quote:
by GC: By so saying, you have also told us that you would never have passed the Abraham test. You would never have so much as begun a journey to kill your own son, even though you recognized God's voice as giving you that command.

Had I Abraham’s view of God I probably would have done the same as he. The difference is that I’ve seen the Messiah who was sent to reveal God. The life and words of Christ are my moral standard. Abraham was raised in a time when it was common for the gods to require child sacrifice. Abraham didn’t wrestle with the moral implications of killing his son. His only problem was the fact that he loved his son and it was a hard thing to do to kill him. Abraham actually believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead or I doubt he would have done it anyway.

Anyway God didn’t want Abraham to kill his son. He wanted Abraham to experience what it was like to give up his son. Abraham was given a view into the heart and love of God. And the result was the end of human sacrifice for the children of Abraham. God changed Abraham’s paradigm from “I’ll appease God with the sacrifice of my Son” to “God will provide His Son to appease our need to experience His love”!

You talk as though we’ve never seen Christ and experienced God’s grace. Had Abraham known Christ the whole demonstration with Isaac wouldn’t have been necessary!

scott

On the contrary, had Abraham NOT known Christ, he would never have passed the test. Clearly, it was a test. The New Testament which you seem to prefer over the Old, says God does not tempt. Therefore, God was NOT tempting Abraham...do we agree on that point? Once again, your New Testament says: "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?...Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God."

Abraham did not wrestle with the morality of it, because he had a strong faith in God, and a REAL relationship with Him. To know God is to love Him, and to love Him is to obey Him.

To NOT know God is to doubt Him, and to disobey Him.

It matters not to me how you choose to label me. You label me as a "fundamentalist." I'm not sure even what is meant by this term, except that you imply that you have a superior perspective or position. I don't personally hold to any particular view of scriptures which you are likely to be able to put a label upon. My interpretations of scriptures are based only upon the scriptures themselves, and not upon traditional interpretations of them. I would go so far, in fact, as to decry the use of the term "exegesis," for I have found that this term is frequently used to limit one's view to an understanding of God's Word to a very narrow scope. God is not so easily reined in, and His Word is rich beyond our finite imaginations. It can speak simply, at a child's level; and it can speak deep, fathomless mysteries, which scholars may study for eternity.

You have implied that God tested Abraham to cause Abraham to know Him. However, it appears to have been a test to see whether or not Abraham would obey Him.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

Abraham did not stop to question how God's promises could be fulfilled if Isaac were slain. He did not stay to reason with his aching heart, but carried out the divine command to the very letter, till, just as the knife was about to be plunged into the quivering flesh of the child, the word came: "Lay not thine hand upon the lad;" "for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." {CC 56.4}

Having passed this test, Abraham confirmed his place in God's Hall of Fame. Again, Mrs. White speaks of him:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

The Lord knew that there would be on the part of Abraham no betraying of sacred trusts; but that he would worship the Lord, and him only would he serve. He knew that his faithful servant would lead his household forward and upward, and influence them to keep the statutes of Jehovah. Abraham did not cherish a blind affection for his family; but by the combined influence of affection and authority, he ruled his home. God's will was made paramount. He feared the Lord with all his house. {CE 230.2}

What concerns me most about the views you and Tom are expressing here, is that someone who is not well-grounded in the truth might feel that God is not to be supremely trusted. That sometimes God tells us to do things which are not best for us, or are not a part of His "ideal will." Perhaps they might be led to reject the veracity of the Old Testament, for each of you have implied the New Testament is superior. To me, the Testaments BOTH reveal God to a lost and dying world. I do not accept your interpretation of Paul's writings to mean that the New Testament is in any way superior in this regard.

Light is truth. The Old Testament is a light. The New Testament is a light. The New Testament may have brighter light in some areas. But even a brighter light does not turn another light into darkness. Light shining upon light can only add to each other, and never subtract.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Does polygame violate the 7th commandment? [Re: Green Cochoa] #100228
06/26/08 04:53 AM
06/26/08 04:53 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I recognize that we may be straying some from a direct conversation about polygamy, but I feel that we are getting deeper to the core of the issue, whereas polygamy is just a surface issue. Therefore, this discussion is getting the more interesting.

My point is that your interpretation of "moral" may be just your own opinion.

My interpretation of "moral" is that morality is defined by the law of God (10 commandments, the moral law). I'm pretty sure this is not just my own opinion.

Another interpretation of "moral" I would accept is that "moral" is how Christ lived. I'm also pretty sure this is not just my own opinion.

When I think of what is moral and what isn't, I think in these terms. What does the moral law say? What did Christ say? How did Christ live?

Quote:
Was it immoral of David to kill Goliath? In other words, I don't believe that any of the those was immoral. If God commands, we must obey, and to obey is the ONLY morally-correct choice we can make, for God does not lie, nor deceive.

This was Scott's point. God commanded Moses to allow Him to destroy Israel and make him (Moses) the leader of a new nation. But Moses disobeyed. Was Moses being immoral? It seems by what you're saying here, Moses acted immorally in persuading God not to destroy Israel. Yet it seems clear to me that Moses acted in harmony with how Christ would have acted.

Quote:
When we do things FOR GOD'S HONOR, in obedience to His voice, we cannot go wrong, no matter what our fallible human reasoning may try to tell us.

Sure we can go wrong. Catholics tortured and burned heretics for God's honor, and to save the souls of the one's they were torturing. They erred because they did not understand God's character nor His principles.

Quote:
We can be thankful that Abraham did not spoil the lesson for future generations by reasoning that surely God did not mean what He said in telling him to kill his only son, the child of promise!

To answer an earlier question, yes, I believe God commanded genocide.

This isn't really what I was asking. I asked if the things I cited were moral acts.

Quote:
To interpret any other way is rather difficult when the Bible expressly gives us this historical record. Again, the reason behind it is of paramount importance. God was merely using the children of Israel to execute judgment on those who had filled their cup with iniquities.

How do you explain God acting so differently than Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ said we should love our enemies, but you see God as killing them instead.

How do you see the destruction of Jerusalem? Did God use the Romans to execute judgment upon them because they had filled their cup with iniquities?

Quote:
Tom, I understand that you believe God never destroys anyone.

Not just me!

Quote:
God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest.(COL 84)

Quote:
Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer. (Christ Triumphant 239)

Quote:
You believe that they are destroyed by the devil, or that they have self-destructed by their own sins. You feel that God merely "allows" this. Your view of God may change one day, but whether or not it does, I cannot accept this view--for it is unbiblical.

It depends upon how one interprets Scripture. According to Scripture, Jesus was the perfect manifestation of God's character. According to EGW, the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God. If we accept these principles, it's not difficult to see how God's judgment operates. There are tons of examples of this principle in Scripture. I've already asked you about one, the destruction of Jerusalem. Another example would be when God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites to destroy them. What happened here?

Quote:
Do you know who was the very first being to kill?

Yes. Satan.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 22 of 55 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!