HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 71 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 70 71
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100929
07/15/08 11:47 PM
07/15/08 11:47 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
By MM: Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking?

Here's a quote of hers:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. Circumstances alter conditions. Circumstances change the relation of things. (3SM 217)

What a great quote! I've been saying this for a long time now. I didn't know there was an EGW quote to say it!

In regards to your question, all one needs to do to know that she evolved in her thinking is to read her works and, as she advises, use some common sense!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100957
07/18/08 01:03 PM
07/18/08 01:03 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
 Originally Posted By: scott
 Quote:
By scott: Does your theology allow her to make mistakes or change her mind as things grew clearer? If not you might want to consider rethinking your position.

By MM: Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking? Where does she admit to having a harsh view of God's justice? Where does she admit to having a tainted view of penal atonement? It would mean more to me to hear it from her.

She changed her mind about the "closed door theory" that she got swept into early in the Advent movement. She quoted medical journals that were wrong. She edited her books and made changes which show that her first views needed revising. And she expressed the same idea, but with a lot less hell fire and brimstone. But most of all she talks about how Jesus changed her and she said that she was not infallible.

If you believe that every word in her writings and/or in the Bible are God’s words and infallible then, by every definition, you are a fundamentalist. Ellen didn’t teach “word inspiration”, but in “thought inspiration.” This simply means that God is not represented in the words, but that He impressed men and inspired them to write things down in their own words. The words are God's impressions in men’s words mixed with men’s thoughts about what God meant in the vision or dream. The written word is an expression of God given by inspired men, but the word made flesh, Jesus, is the perfect word of God and His exact expression.

scott

Without going into details at this time, suffice it to say that I have done some extensive work (as in job-related) with Ellen White's writings. In doing this, I have many times run across statements which I did not know existed. It's been fun to learn new things about her.

Scott, in your above quote, I see you as missing the mark slightly. What you have said is partly correct, and partly incorrect. Mrs. White explains much regarding the changes that were made in her writings from time to time, such as with the Great Controversy. These changes were not necessarily due to her perspective having changed, but were frequently due to the fact that the book was being republished with a view to a different audience.

The Great Controversy was first published for the edification of the church. Later editions removed certain portions to make it more acceptable for door-to-door colporteur work among non-members. It is simultaneously true, however, that at times Mrs. White took advantage of the opportunity to correct things which had been clarified in her mind from the time of the original publication.

Sorry to not include them already, but I will try to find some quotes to demonstrate this. (It's often difficult, in view of such a broad database of publications, to remember where I've seen something, or what key words I might recall it by...but I will try.)

Meanwhile, Scott, I quite agree with your statements regarding "thought inspiration" in Ellen White's writings. I do wonder, however, how you feel Paul is any different? Personally, I can make a strong case to say that Paul's words are over-analyzed in today's theological circles, when Paul himself was not focused so much on the words as upon the thoughts...e.g. the word "law."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #100959
07/18/08 01:51 PM
07/18/08 01:51 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here are some of the quotes. These are not the best ones that I remember reading, but they are sufficient to show why some of the later publications were "softened," especially the last two quotes. My apologies in advance for those last two being in caps--that's just copy/pasted from the original, and it means those are the words of the publishers, and not of Mrs. White herself.

Originally Posted By: Mrs. White's books

Chapter on Time of Trouble.--We have just read the matter in regard to the time of trouble. Brother Smith thinks that chapter by no means should be left out of Volume 4. He says there is not a sentence in it that is not essentially needed. This seemed to make a very deep impression upon his mind and I thought I would write to you in reference to this matter. I have read it and it has just a thrilling power with it. I see nothing that will exclude it from the book for general sale among unbelievers. [THE BOOK WAS PUBLISHED BY THE PACIFIC PRESS IN LATE SEPTEMBER, 1884, AND GAINED FAVORABLE NOTICE: "THE GREAT CONTROVERSY, VOL. IV: THIS VOLUME, SO LONG LOOKED FOR, IS NOW OUT. AND WE ARE CONFIDENT THAT IT WILL MORE THAN MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THOSE WHO HAVE ANXIOUSLY WAITED FOR IT. WE JUDGE FROM OUR OWN READING OF IT; WE FOUND THE CONTENTS OF DEEPER INTEREST THAN OUR IMAGINATION COULD HAVE REACHED."--SIGNS OF THE TIMES, OCT. 2, 1884,--COMPILERS.] --Letter 59, 1884. {3SM 111.1}

Scenes Presented Anew While Writing.--While writing the manuscript of "Great Controversy," I was often conscious of the presence of the angels of God. And many times the scenes about which I was writing were presented to me anew in visions of the night, so that they were fresh and vivid in my mind.--Letter 56, 1911. {3SM 112.1}

CONSIDER FOR A FEW MOMENTS THE CHAPTER IN THE FIRST EDITION OF GREAT CONTROVERSY, VOLUME IV, PUBLISHED BY PACIFIC PRESS IN 1884. IN CHAPTER XXVII, "THE SNARES OF SATAN," YOU FIND THAT ABOUT FOUR PAGES IN THE LATTER PART OF THE CHAPTER WERE OMITTED FROM THE LATER EDITIONS OF GREAT CONTROVERSY. THESE FOUR PAGES ARE TO BE FOUND IN TESTIMONIES TO MINISTERS, PAGES 472 TO 475. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THESE FOUR PAGES IS VERY VALUABLE TO SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS AND WAS VERY APPROPRIATELY INCLUDED IN THE FIRST EDITION OF GREAT CONTROVERSY, VOLUME IV, WHICH WHEN IT WAS PUBLISHED WAS LIKE THE OTHER VOLUMES CONSIDERED TO BE A MESSAGE ESPECIALLY TO SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS, AND TO [ALL] CHRISTIAN PEOPLE SYMPATHIZING WITH THEM IN BELIEFS AND AIMS. {3SM 452.6} [Selected Messages Book 3 (1980)]

IN GREAT CONTROVERSY, VOLUME IV, PUBLISHED IN 1885, IN THE CHAPTER "SNARES OF SATAN," THERE ARE THREE PAGES OR MORE OF MATTER THAT WAS NOT USED IN THE LATER EDITIONS, WHICH WERE PREPARED TO BE SOLD TO THE MULTITUDES BY OUR CANVASSERS. IT IS MOST EXCELLENT AND INTERESTING READING FOR SABBATHKEEPERS, AS IT POINTS OUT THE WORK THAT SATAN WILL DO IN PERSUADING POPULAR MINISTERS AND CHURCH MEMBERS TO ELEVATE THE SUNDAY SABBATH, AND TO PERSECUTE SABBATHKEEPERS. [CURRENTLY FOUND IN TESTIMONIES TO MINISTERS, PP. 472-475.] {3SM 443.4}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100981
07/19/08 01:12 AM
07/19/08 01:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The debt we owe to sin is death. Sin is transgression of the law therefore one could say that our debt is owed to the broken law. I agree with this statement, but it means something much different to me that it does to you.

Scott, it would be helpful if you included inspired quotes to back up your assertions. Otherwise, I have no idea if you are telling the truth. Since the “wages of sin is death”, how can we say, We owe sin ... (anything)? Sin owes sinners, not the other way around, right?

Justice is reconciliation by biblical terms therefore it is justice for God to forgive as well as allow men to destroy themselves.

Mercy and justice are in tension. They are not synonymous. I like how she explains it in the following quotes:

Quote:
Christ came to give to the world an example of what perfect humanity might be when united with divinity. He presented to the world a new phase of greatness in His exhibition of mercy, compassion, and love. He gave to men a new interpretation of God. As head of humanity, He taught men lessons in the science of divine government, whereby He revealed the righteousness of the reconciliation of mercy and justice. {1SM 260.2}

The reconciliation of mercy and justice did not involve any compromise with sin, or ignore any claim of justice; but by giving to each divine attribute its ordained place, mercy could be exercised in the punishment of sinful, impenitent man without destroying its clemency or forfeiting its compassionate character, and justice could be exercised in forgiving the repenting transgressor without violating its integrity. {1SM 260.2}

All this could be, because Christ laid hold of the nature of man, and partook of the divine attributes, and planted His cross between humanity and divinity, bridging the gulf that separated the sinner from God. {1SM 261.1}

The rainbow of promise encircling the throne on high is an everlasting testimony that "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). It testifies to the universe that God will never forsake His people in their struggle with evil. It is an assurance to us of strength and protection as long as the throne itself shall endure. {AG 70.2}

As the bow in the cloud is formed by the union of the sunlight and the shower, so the rainbow encircling the throne represents the combined power of mercy and justice. It is not justice alone that is to be maintained; for this would eclipse the glory of the rainbow of promise above the throne; man could see only the penalty of the law. Were there no justice, no penalty, there would be no stability to the government of God. {AG 70.3}

It is the mingling of judgment and mercy that makes salvation full and complete. It is the blending of the two that leads us, as we view the world's Redeemer and the law of Jehovah, to exclaim, "Thy gentleness hath made me great" (2 Sam. 22:36). We know that the gospel is a perfect and complete system, revealing the immutability of the law of God. . . . Mercy invites us to enter through the gates into the city of God, and justice is sacrificed to accord to every obedient soul full privileges as a member of the royal family, a child of the heavenly King. {AG 70.4}

By faith let us look upon the rainbow round about the throne, the cloud of sins confessed behind it. The rainbow of promise is an assurance to every humble, contrite, believing soul, that his life is one with Christ, and that Christ is one with God. The wrath of God will not fall upon one soul that seeks refuge in Him. God Himself has declared, "When I see the blood, I will pass over you." "The bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant" (Ex. 12:13; Gen. 9:16). {AG 70.5}

I like how she explains the difference between mercy and justice in the context of Jesus’ life and death – both of which were required by law for God to earn the legal right to offer penitent sinners mercy, pardon, and salvation. Jesus had to die because law and justice demand death for sin. Otherwise, sinners would have to die for their own sins. In reality, the human race would have ended with the immediate death of Adam and Eve if Jesus had not volunteered to be the “Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.”

The integrity of God's law is only as good as God's character since the law is a transcript of God's character. How could a sinner affect the integrity of God's character unless the sinner could provoke God to do something out of character like murder? Love and law are identical since all of the law can be expressed in "love" and "God is love" and the law is a "transcript of God's character."

The law cannot pardon; it can only condemn. Nor can the law save us. God, of course, is not like the law in these ways.

Do you really believe that God threatening us will safeguard future rebellion? Do you believe that a violent act from God, so that we all know exactly how vicious He can be against sin, will make us trust Him more? I prefer to think of love overcoming violence rather than becoming violent itself to survive.

Your questions assume God is violent and that He threatens sinners. Neither assumption is true; therefore, your questions cannot be answered. God has never been violent, nor has He ever threatened anyone.

Satan invented death and everyone who follows him will die. The question is if God has to kill them or is sin lethal enough to finish the job.

Satan did not invent sin or death. Neither one were possible until after God created FMAs. True, Satan was the first FMA to sin, but he did not invent it. If sin kills sinners, why hasn’t it killed Satan yet? Why doesn’t it kill us the moment we sin? Why did God have to bar access to the tree of life if sin kills sinners?

EW 51
I was pointed to Adam and Eve in Eden. They partook of the forbidden tree and were driven from the garden, and then the flaming sword was placed around the tree of life, lest they should partake of its fruit and be immortal sinners. The tree of life was to perpetuate immortality. I heard an angel ask, "Who of the family of Adam have passed the flaming sword and have partaken of the tree of life?" I heard another angel answer, "Not one of Adam's family has passed that flaming sword and partaken of that tree; therefore there is not an immortal sinner. The soul that sinneth it shall die an everlasting death--a death that will last forever, from which there will be no hope of a resurrection; and then the wrath of God will be appeased. {EW 51.2}

God gave us the cure for sin's folly in Jesus; a cure for death. Some refuse to take it. Does a doctor have to kill his patient who refuses to take the only medicine that will cure them?

Your analogy overlooks an important aspect of the picture. It pertains only to the first death. Can a doctor resurrect sinners and judge them, and then punish them in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness? Can sin do it?

Re: The Covenants [Re: scott] #100982
07/19/08 01:35 AM
07/19/08 01:35 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
By scott: Does your theology allow her to make mistakes or change her mind as things grew clearer? If not you might want to consider rethinking your position.

By MM: Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking? Where does she admit to having a harsh view of God's justice? Where does she admit to having a tainted view of penal atonement? It would mean more to me to hear it from her.

She changed her mind about the "closed door theory" that she got swept into early in the Advent movement. She quoted medical journals that were wrong. She edited her books and made changes which show that her first views needed revising. And she expressed the same idea, but with a lot less hell fire and brimstone. But most of all she talks about how Jesus changed her and she said that she was not infallible.

What about when she quotes holy angels in vision? Is there any evidence to support the idea angels compromised to meet her where she was, that what they told her in vision reflects her tainted theological views at the time? For example:

EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. {EW 295.1}

If you believe that every word in her writings and/or in the Bible are God’s words and infallible then, by every definition, you are a fundamentalist. Ellen didn’t teach “word inspiration”, but in “thought inspiration.” This simply means that God is not represented in the words, but that He impressed men and inspired them to write things down in their own words. The words are God's impressions in men’s words mixed with men’s thoughts about what God meant in the vision or dream.

Are you suggesting we cannot take God at His word? Do you aagree with the following insight:

GC V.4
The Ten Commandments were spoken by God Himself, and were written by His own hand. They are of divine, and not of human composition. But the Bible, with its God-given truths expressed in the language of men, presents a union of the divine and the human. Such a union existed in the nature of Christ, who was the Son of God and the Son of man. Thus it is true of the Bible, as it was of Christ, that "the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us." John 1:14. {GC v.4}

And, do you agree with these insights:

GC VI.1
Written in different ages, by men who differed widely in rank and occupation, and in mental and spiritual endowments, the books of the Bible present a wide contrast in style, as well as a diversity in the nature of the subjects unfolded. Different forms of expression are employed by different writers; often the same truth is more strikingly presented by one than by another. And as several writers present a subject under varied aspects and relations, there may appear, to the superficial, careless, or prejudiced reader, to be discrepancy or contradiction, where the thoughtful, reverent student, with clearer insight, discerns the underlying harmony. {GC vi.1}

The written word is an expression of God given by inspired men, but the word made flesh, Jesus, is the perfect word of God and His exact expression.

Where does your description of Jesus come from? Did God write it Himself? Did He dictate it? Or, was it written by men? If so, how can you trust it any more than the OT? Can it be that the entire Bible, in spite of its inspired discrepancies, is the infallible word of God? Shouldn't we build it up, encourage confidence in it?

3SM 306
There are men who think they have made wonderful discoveries in science. They quote the opinions of learned men as though they considered them infallible and teach the deductions of science as truths that cannot be controverted. And the Word of God, which is given as a lamp to the feet of the world-weary traveler, is judged by this standard, and pronounced wanting. {3SM 306.2}

SR 368
Some who professed to be zealous believers in the message rejected the Word of God as the one infallible guide, and, claiming to be led by the Spirit, gave themselves up to the control of their own feelings, impressions, and imaginations. There were some who manifested a blind and bigoted zeal, denouncing all who would not sanction their course. Their fanatical ideas and exercises met with no sympathy from the great body of Adventists; yet they served to bring reproach upon the cause of truth. {SR 368.1}

UL 37
We need a more firm reliance upon a "Thus saith the Lord." If we have this, we shall not trust to feeling, and be ruled by feeling. God asks us to rest in His love. It is our privilege to know the Word of God as a sure and tried guide, an infallible assurance. Let us work on the faith side of the question. Let us believe and trust, and talk faith and hope and courage. Let the praise of God be in our hearts and on our lips oftener than it is. "Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me" (Ps. 50:23). Keep the mind stayed upon God, and know the love of Christ as the Word of God reveals it. This Word is life. Talk of Christ; call others to behold Him as your Redeemer. {UL 37.4}

4T 312
Said Christ: "Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of Me." The Bible is an unerring guide. It demands perfect purity in word, in thought, and in action. Only virtuous and spotless characters will be permitted to enter the presence of a pure and holy God. The word of God, if studied and obeyed, would lead the children of men, as the Israelites were led by a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of cloud by day. The Bible is God's will expressed to man. It is the only perfect standard of character, and marks out the duty of man in every circumstance of life. There are many responsibilities resting upon us in this life, a neglect of which will not only cause suffering to ourselves, but others will sustain loss in consequence. {4T 312.2}

Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #100984
07/19/08 01:40 AM
07/19/08 01:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

Here's a quote of hers:

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. Circumstances alter conditions. Circumstances change the relation of things. (3SM 217)

What a great quote! I've been saying this for a long time now. I didn't know there was an EGW quote to say it!

In regards to your question, all one needs to do to know that she evolved in her thinking is to read her works and, as she advises, use some common sense!

Tom, you seem to be implying that although she doesn't admit to having a harsh view of God's character earlier in her writings, it is obvious as one compares her earlier works with her more recent works. But doesn't this rely on opinion rather than inspiration? So, it would mean more to me to hear it from her. Where does she say such a thing?

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #100992
07/19/08 04:28 AM
07/19/08 04:28 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, you seem to be implying that although she doesn't admit to having a harsh view of God's character earlier in her writings,it is obvious as one compares her earlier works with her more recent works.

You asked, "Where does she admit to growing and changing her thinking?"

I was responding to this question when I said:

Quote:
all one needs to do to know that she evolved in her thinking is to read her works and, as she advises, use some common sense!

Quote:
But doesn't this rely on opinion rather than inspiration?

No! I quoted her in saying we should use common sense. So inspiration agrees!

Quote:
So, it would mean more to me to hear it from her. Where does she say such a thing?

I quoted it right above my what I said! In fact, it's in the part you quoted that I'm responding to.

Ellen White was a teenager when she started her prophetic ministry, and quite an elderly lady when she end it. Do you know anybody whose thinking did not change in the course of 70 years? Indeed, wouldn't it be very sad it if it didn't?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Covenants [Re: Tom] #101048
07/21/08 12:34 PM
07/21/08 12:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I addressed these questions to Scott. They were asked in a specific context, which had to with Sister White evolving from a harsh view of God to a kinder, gentler view. I would like to know from either you or Scott where she admits to such a thing. Did she ever admit that she grew in such a way.

That is, did she ever say, Earlier in my ministry I wrote stuff that reflected a harsh view of God, but I was young and ill informed, nowadays my views are more accurate, they represent the truth about God, about His love and mercy and compassion. I no longer believe He directly or personally punishes or destroys impenitent sinners. Instead, I have come to realize and believe He reluctantly withdraws His loving protection and either commands holy angels to allow man and nature to unleash their pent up power, or He gives evil angels permission to manipulate man and nature to cause destruction proportionate to the sinfulness of the person or people who have resisted and rejected His loving entreaties and protection.

Re: The Covenants [Re: Green Cochoa] #101050
07/21/08 02:47 PM
07/21/08 02:47 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
 Quote:

If you believe that every word in her writings and/or in the Bible are God’s words and infallible then, by every definition, you are a fundamentalist. Ellen didn’t teach “word inspiration”, but in “thought inspiration.” This simply means that God is not represented in the words, but that He impressed men and inspired them to write things down in their own words. The words are God's impressions in men’s words mixed with men’s thoughts about what God meant in the vision or dream. The written word is an expression of God given by inspired men, but the word made flesh, Jesus, is the perfect word of God and His exact expression.

scott

Without going into details at this time, suffice it to say that I have done some extensive work (as in job-related) with Ellen White's writings. In doing this, I have many times run across statements which I did not know existed. It's been fun to learn new things about her.

Scott, in your above quote, I see you as missing the mark slightly. What you have said is partly correct, and partly incorrect. Mrs. White explains much regarding the changes that were made in her writings from time to time, such as with the Great Controversy. These changes were not necessarily due to her perspective having changed, but were frequently due to the fact that the book was being republished with a view to a different audience.

The Great Controversy was first published for the edification of the church. Later editions removed certain portions to make it more acceptable for door-to-door colporteur work among non-members. It is simultaneously true, however, that at times Mrs. White took advantage of the opportunity to correct things which had been clarified in her mind from the time of the original publication.

Sorry to not include them already, but I will try to find some quotes to demonstrate this. (It's often difficult, in view of such a broad database of publications, to remember where I've seen something, or what key words I might recall it by...but I will try.)

Meanwhile, Scott, I quite agree with your statements regarding "thought inspiration" in Ellen White's writings. I do wonder, however, how you feel Paul is any different? Personally, I can make a strong case to say that Paul's words are over-analyzed in today's theological circles, when Paul himself was not focused so much on the words as upon the thoughts...e.g. the word "law."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Hi GC,

Why mention just Paul? Couldn't we also say the same thing about John, James, or Peter? Or is it Paul that disagrees with your interpretation of "law" therefore you choose to pit him against James rather than find them in agreement?

I see the Bible writers of the OT as dynamically different than those writing the NT simply because of Pentecost. At Pentecost the Holy Spirit made the Apostles understand how Jesus was the fulfillment of the whole Jewish economy. Their writings are not to be added to the OT writings, but are an exegesis of the OT. In other words the NT is an explanation of the OT, not an addition to it.

If I want to know what the OT meant I need to go to the source, the NT, to see. This is where God revealed it! To go back to the OT to discover "new doctrine" over and above the writings of the NT is reject the apostolic authority in which the church of Christ is built. This is and has been the reason there is so much division in the NT church and especially in rogue Adventist circles. If we could all agree on what the Apostles taught, the gospel of Jesus, there would be no schism in the church. Denominationalism is the sin of the church that stands in direct disobedience of Jesus' command to love one another and that we are to be one in Him exactly like He is One with the Father.

Where do you get the authority to disagree with Paul's interpretation of the OT? It isn't from God!

scott

Re: The Covenants [Re: Mountain Man] #101051
07/21/08 03:15 PM
07/21/08 03:15 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
by scott:
The debt we owe to sin is death. Sin is transgression of the law therefore one could say that our debt is owed to the broken law. I agree with this statement, but it means something much different to me that it does to you.

by MM:
Scott, it would be helpful if you included inspired quotes to back up your assertions. Otherwise, I have no idea if you are telling the truth. Since the “wages of sin is death”, how can we say, We owe sin ... (anything)? Sin owes sinners, not the other way around, right?

Hi MM,

That is exactly right! Sin owes sinners death. We sin, we die! The debt we owe to God is gratitude for salvation. Even those who reject His salvation owe praise to Him! And, MM, if you haven’t noticed, I don’t play the “inspired quote” game. I have the right to think for myself and put things in my own words. I’m not a parrot believing that the parrot that knows the most quotes is right. To be a Rabbi one had to memorize the entire five books of Moses by the age of 12 and the entire OT by the age of 30. The ones who crucified Jesus knew their “inspired quote(s)” much better than you and I. What they failed to do was to internalize them and understand them and to put them in their own words.

scott

Page 20 of 71 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 70 71

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!