HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 36 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101423
08/08/08 11:18 PM
08/08/08 11:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Christ died the equivalent to the second death on the cross but, because of His innocence, wasn't consumed as the wicked will be.

What does this mean? Especially the consumed part. That is, what happens to the wicked that did not happen to Christ?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101425
08/08/08 11:50 PM
08/08/08 11:50 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
You say that Christ sometimes allowed His own divinity to flash through humanity, and Christ did nothing we cannot do by God's grace. Given this (allowing His own divinity to flash through humanity) is not a contradiction, either this is something Christ didn't do, or it's something we can do.

You're parsing my writing like a compiler parses code. Human communication doesn't work that way. \:\) It could, if English was as precise as Pascal or even C, but it's not.

When I said that Jesus didn't do anything we can't, the "do" was not meant to be understood as you did. IOW, I did not intend to include manifesting His own divinity as one of the things that we can do. However, the work that He accomplished by manifesting His divinity we can also do by manisting His divinity.

So if Christ did nothing different than we can do, it was not His own divinity that flashed through His humanity, but God's. Unless you were thinking that Christ's divinity is the same as God's, so you used the term "His own divinity" interchangeably with "God's divinity". Is this what you had in mind?

Divinity is divinity, whether it is the Father, Son, or Holy Ghost. That's why we can say there is one God.

But what I have in mind is that Jesus could manifest divinity that was inherently His. Any divinity flashing through us is only passing through us, and does not originate with us.

Re: Christ's divinity, review the DA commentary on the raising of Lazarus. That miracle was proof of Christ's divinity, not God's divinity working in Him. However, Paul's raising of Eutychus was not proof of Paul's divinity.

Quote:
Now, as to how He did these things, we might not be able to do it through the same method.

How would the method be different?

Note this:
 Quote:
The result of the eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is manifest in every man's experience. There is in his nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, he cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in his inmost soul he accepts as alone worthy, he can find help in but one power. That power is Christ. {Ed 29.1}

This describes how we are to overcome. But it does not describe how Jesus overcame.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101426
08/08/08 11:58 PM
08/08/08 11:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
What does this mean? Especially the consumed part. That is, what happens to the wicked that did not happen to Christ?

It seems to me that it refers to the complete destruction of the person as it will happen in hell.

"To sin, wherever found, God is a consuming fire. If you choose sin, and refuse to separate from it, the presence of God, which consumes sin, must consume you." {MB 62.1}

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101428
08/09/08 12:18 AM
08/09/08 12:18 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Glad you joined the party. ;\) And thanks for the quote.

It's good to be back after some days away from home. \:\)

Quote:
Efficacious throughout eternity. Does that mean that we will be under the "umbrella" of His sacrifice forever? How does this impact the "living without a Mediator" concept? Just thinking through my keyboard.

Being a sinner, it's difficult for me to imagine not being under the "umbrella" of His sacrifice. I understand that "living without a Mediator," in this case, just means not having someone to intercede for you in case you sin.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101430
08/09/08 01:00 AM
08/09/08 01:00 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, everlasting righteousness primarily qualifies us for eternal life; living without a mediator is strictly an earthly experience of faith which comes after Christ has fitted us for heavenly society which is also successful - thus completed - mediation. We are filled by the Spirit from this day to that and on throughout eternity: the Spirit of Jesus is only withdrawn from unbelievers at that or any time.:-)

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Colin] #101434
08/09/08 03:31 AM
08/09/08 03:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
When I said that Jesus didn't do anything we can't, the "do" was not meant to be understood as you did.

Ok, I understood "do" to refer to things which Christ did. I'm not sure how else one would understand this.

Quote:
IOW, I did not intend to include manifesting His own divinity as one of the things that we can do.

So what you meant to say is that we can do anything Christ did, by the grace of God, except for the things He did which we can't do. Is that right?

Quote:
However, the work that He accomplished by manifesting His divinity we can also do by manifesting His divinity...

But what I have in mind is that Jesus could manifest divinity that was inherently His. Any divinity flashing through us is only passing through us, and does not originate with us.

This is what I thought you meant, which is why I pointed out you were contradicting yourself, because you said this, and then said He didn't do anything we can't do, by the grace of God.

Quote:
Christ's divinity, review the DA commentary on the raising of Lazarus. That miracle was proof of Christ's divinity, not God's divinity working in Him. However, Paul's raising of Eutychus was not proof of Paul's divinity.

So the raising of the dead is proof of divinity of a divine being does it, but not if a non-divine being does it.

Quote:
The result of the eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is manifest in every man's experience. There is in his nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, he cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in his inmost soul he accepts as alone worthy, he can find help in but one power. That power is Christ. {Ed 29.1}

This describes how we are to overcome. But it does not describe how Jesus overcame.

It does! Jesus said:

Quote:
be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

How did He overcome the world? By faith.

He also said:

Quote:
He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.(Rev. 3:21)

From EGW:

Quote:
As the Son of God lived by faith in the Father, so are we to live by faith in Christ. So fully was Jesus surrendered to the will of God that the Father alone appeared in His life. Although tempted in all points like as we are, He stood before the world untainted by the evil that surrounded Him. Thus we also are to overcome as Christ overcame.(DA 389)

Quote:
Will man take hold of divine power, and with determination and perseverance resist Satan, as Christ has given him example in His conflict with the foe in the wilderness of temptation? ... In short, man must overcome as Christ overcame. (Sons and Daughters of God 156)

There are many of these. I know of no quote in either Scripture nor the SOP which supports your assertion that Christ overcame one way but we overcome another.

The quote you cited applied to Christ. Christ took our sinful human nature, which, apart from divine assistance, cannot overcome. Christ depended upon His Father, and overcame, by faith, just as we must. Everything Christ did in His battle against sin (including the battle against self) we can do by the grace of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101435
08/09/08 03:48 AM
08/09/08 03:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE:What does this mean? Especially the consumed part. That is, what happens to the wicked that did not happen to Christ?

R:It seems to me that it refers to the complete destruction of the person as it will happen in hell.

What does that mean? Here you are using "complete destruction" as a synonym for "consume," but I still don't know what this means to you. Does it means consumed by literal fire? Or does it mean something else?

Quote:
"To sin, wherever found, God is a consuming fire. If you choose sin, and refuse to separate from it, the presence of God, which consumes sin, must consume you." {MB 62.1}

You answered my question by first using "complete destruction" as a synonym for "consumed." Here are you simply using "consumed" as an explanation of what "consumed" means. What I'm asking is what happens to the wicked that did not happen to Christ. This is an interesting question, I think.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101448
08/09/08 02:24 PM
08/09/08 02:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
So what you meant to say is that we can do anything Christ did, by the grace of God, except for the things He did which we can't do. Is that right?

Exactly. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out the nuances of "do."

Quote:
Christ's divinity, review the DA commentary on the raising of Lazarus. That miracle was proof of Christ's divinity, not God's divinity working in Him. However, Paul's raising of Eutychus was not proof of Paul's divinity.

So the raising of the dead is proof of divinity of a divine being does it, but not if a non-divine being does it.

That's what EGW said.

Quote:

It does!

If so, then this should work:
The result of the eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is manifest in Christ's experience. There is in Christ's nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, Christ cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in Christ's inmost soul Christ accepts as alone worthy, Christ can find help in but one power. That power is Christ.

I hope I don't have to explain how silly that new version is. And if you have to modify it to make it fit, then what I said holds.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101451
08/09/08 06:36 PM
08/09/08 06:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Here you are using "complete destruction" as a synonym for "consume," but I still don't know what this means to you. Does it means consumed by literal fire? Or does it mean something else?

Tom,

I don’t know exactly. We know, of course, that there will be literal fire in the lake of fire. But Ellen White also speaks of a figurative fire:

“Against every evildoer God's law utters condemnation. He may disregard that voice, he may seek to drown its warning, but in vain. It follows him. It makes itself heard. It destroys his peace. If unheeded, it pursues him to the grave. It bears witness against him at the judgement. A quenchless fire, it consumes at last soul and body.” {Ed 144.5}

So I think we will have two kinds of fire – the internal and the external. How exactly they will act (simultaneously? one after the other?) I don’t know.

Quote:
You answered my question by first using "complete destruction" as a synonym for "consumed." Here are you simply using "consumed" as an explanation of what "consumed" means. What I'm asking is what happens to the wicked that did not happen to Christ. This is an interesting question, I think.

Christ obviously wasn’t completely destroyed. Ellen White says He wasn’t consumed. Does this refer only to His soul, or to His soul and His body? It’s difficult to determine exactly what “consumed” means.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101452
08/09/08 06:39 PM
08/09/08 06:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Arnold,

I would like to know your opinion about the points discussed in my post just above.

Page 17 of 36 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!