HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 36 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101456
08/10/08 01:20 AM
08/10/08 01:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thanks Rosangela. Your last post is what I was wanting to get at.

What I think happens is the wicked cannot handle the revelation of their sins. That is what destroys them. EGW says that the light of the glory of God destroys the wicked. She also says that fire destroys them. She also says that the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous. Putting this altogether, it's clear that that which consumes the wicked cannot be literal fire.

Also such an interpretation would not make sense in context. She says that Christ was not consumed because of His innocence. If one were consumed by literal fire, being innocent wouldn't help. Many innocent people have been consumed by fire. However if being consumed has to do with the conscience, then not being consumed because of one's innocence makes perfect sense.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101457
08/10/08 03:54 AM
08/10/08 03:54 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
 Originally Posted By: Tom
So what you meant to say is that we can do anything Christ did, by the grace of God, except for the things He did which we can't do. Is that right?

Exactly. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out the nuances of "do."

Quote:
Christ's divinity, review the DA commentary on the raising of Lazarus. That miracle was proof of Christ's divinity, not God's divinity working in Him. However, Paul's raising of Eutychus was not proof of Paul's divinity.

So the raising of the dead is proof of divinity of a divine being does it, but not if a non-divine being does it.

That's what EGW said.

Quote:
The result of the eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is manifest in every man's experience. There is in his nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, he cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in his inmost soul he accepts as alone worthy, he can find help in but one power. That power is Christ. {Ed 29.1}

This describes how we are to overcome. But it does not describe how Jesus overcame.

It does!

If so, then this should work:
The result of the eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil is manifest in Christ's experience. There is in Christ's nature a bent to evil, a force which, unaided, Christ cannot resist. To withstand this force, to attain that ideal which in Christ's inmost soul Christ accepts as alone worthy, Christ can find help in but one power. That power is Christ.

I hope I don't have to explain how silly that new version is. And if you have to modify it to make it fit, then what I said holds.

It seems to me that making Christ too human has the same problems as making Him too divine. He was unique, but suffered like us in every way. He was not born lost believing God to be His enemy, but born "born again" with a close connection to the Father. How many of us can say that? He never experienced our lost-ness from birth, nor the final lost-ness of the unrepentant wicked, until the cross.

Just as we are not exactly like Him in His divinity, but taste His divinity in dwelling with His Spirit, so He was not exactly like us in our humanity, but tasted our death and suffered our dilemma. In the ways that are important and necessary for our comfort and salvation Jesus was exactly like us. In other ways His divinity was a liability in that His choices were much different than ours.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101458
08/10/08 04:08 AM
08/10/08 04:08 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Thanks Rosangela. Your last post is what I was wanting to get at.

What I think happens is the wicked cannot handle the revelation of their sins. That is what destroys them. EGW says that the light of the glory of God destroys the wicked. She also says that fire destroys them. She also says that the light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous. Putting this altogether, it's clear that that which consumes the wicked cannot be literal fire.

Also such an interpretation would not make sense in context. She says that Christ was not consumed because of His innocence. If one were consumed by literal fire, being innocent wouldn't help. Many innocent people have been consumed by fire. However if being consumed has to do with the conscience, then not being consumed because of one's innocence makes perfect sense.

This nails if for me, Tom! The literal flames that are cast down on the earth to melt it into the earth made new are said to devour the stubble. Stubble is not alive, but what is left after the harvest (judgment). The judgment finishes with a great battle that ends in the destruction of the wicked. This is depicted as a symbolic fire and I think that fire is the complete and unaltered truth about every man. Just like it was for Jesus at the cross, it is the faith in God’s graciousness that keeps the righteous safe and prepares them for translation. It is intimately knowing God!

But for the wicked that same revelation of truth causes so much mental anguish that they become dangerous animals in their fervor to hide from God’s consuming fire. Murder, suicide, and the heart stopping from fear are the lot of the wicked when God shows up. But, OTOH, the righteous have already faced this fire, know God’s love, and long to be healed. They trust Him.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101463
08/10/08 03:41 PM
08/10/08 03:41 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
So I think we will have two kinds of fire – the internal and the external. How exactly they will act (simultaneously? one after the other?) I don’t know.

This is a good summary of my view at this point. While the figurative fire is certainly true, and will probably cause the most pain, I do not discount the possibility of a literal fire, especially in light of the SOP describing it as literal.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101466
08/10/08 06:23 PM
08/10/08 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think there will be a literal fire, but for cleansing, not punishment (which would be torture).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101469
08/11/08 02:38 PM
08/11/08 02:38 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Obviously, Jesus didn't suffer the literal fire. But did He suffer the figurative fire? If so, was it just a natural consequence of what His condition, or was it something imposed on Him?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101473
08/11/08 03:27 PM
08/11/08 03:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Obviously, Jesus didn't suffer the literal fire. But did He suffer the figurative fire? If so, was it just a natural consequence of what His condition, or was it something imposed on Him?

Yes, He suffered figurative fire. What He suffered was the natural consequence of that which was imposed upon Him, as well as that which He willingly took upon Himself.

What was imposed?

Quote:
2Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: (Acts 2)

What did He willingly take upon Him? Our sins. How did this work? I believe it was similar to this:

Quote:
It was not only because of the scene before Him that Christ wept. The weight of the grief of ages was upon Him. He saw the terrible effects of the transgression of God's law. He saw that in the history of the world, beginning with the death of Abel, the conflict between good and evil had been unceasing. Looking down the years to come, He saw the suffering and sorrow, tears and death, that were to be the lot of men. His heart was pierced with the pain of the human family of all ages and in all lands. The woes of the sinful race were heavy upon His soul, and the fountain of His tears was broken up as He longed to relieve all their distress.(DA 534)

Christ suffered both as victim (one sinned against unjustly) and sinner (He was numbered among the transgressors). This last part is more difficult to understand. That Christ suffered as a victim, a willing victim, is easy to see. How our iniquity was laid upon Him is more difficult to see. I think it was by way of empathy, along the lines detailed in the DA quote cited above. As the "weight of the grief of the ages" at Lazarus' funeral, so the "weight of the sins of the ages" was upon Him on the cross.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101474
08/11/08 03:44 PM
08/11/08 03:44 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Quote:
By Tom: Christ suffered both as victim (one sinned against unjustly) and sinner (He was numbered among the transgressors). This last part is more difficult to understand. That Christ suffered as a victim, a willing victim, is easy to see. How our iniquity was laid upon Him is more difficult to see. I think it was by way of empathy, along the lines detailed in the DA quote cited above. As the "weight of the grief of the ages" at Lazarus' funeral, so the "weight of the sins of the ages" was upon Him on the cross.

Hebrews says that Jesus was compassionate to our suffering. This wasn’t some passing feeling of empathy! It was really unconditional agape love that He had for the suffering children of Adam. The weight of our predicament is like we feel when our children are suffering because of the choices they made. I remember when my oldest daughter rebelled, left home, went to work in a bar, and started on a really bad journey. Oh, how my wife and I suffered and prayed for her. It broke our heart!

She is now the leader of the children’s division in our local church so we have a happy ending, but Jesus, looking on humanity, wept for our misunderstandings that would keep us from accepting His offering. The weight of the world was upon Him and it was His infinite love for us that caused His emotional and mental pain.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101475
08/11/08 04:06 PM
08/11/08 04:06 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
That Christ suffered as a victim, a willing victim, is easy to see.

Whose victim? If the figurative fire is a consequence of being incongruent with God's character, how can Jesus - God's express image - suffer it?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101477
08/11/08 04:38 PM
08/11/08 04:38 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
That Christ suffered as a victim, a willing victim, is easy to see.

Whose victim? If the figurative fire is a consequence of being incongruent with God's character, how can Jesus - God's express image - suffer it?

Sin is just as dangerous to the innocent as it is to the guilty. Sin is selfishness! Sinners are dangerous. Selfish people victimize others. Jesus suffered the consequences of God not intervening and letting sin play out. Jesus was the victim of sin! God simply didn't rescue Him as He had during His whole life.

scott

Page 18 of 36 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!