HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 55 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #100991
07/19/08 04:19 AM
07/19/08 04:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Actually, I believe people are born with all of the traits of character (traits, not character) common to mankind. As they grow and mature, they cultivate some of the traits they inherited thereby converting them into character. They naturally, instinctively cultivate sinful character.

Collectively these cultivated traits are called the "old man". They also constitute a driving force within people which compels them to sin again and again. The rest of the traits they inherited at birth lay dormant within them, uncultivated, and as such do not count as character. Jesus was also born with all of the traits of character common to mankind.

I mostly agree with this. The disagreement is that the "old man" includes what you suggest, in my view, but is not limited to that. (I'll discuss this in more detail below)

Quote:
During the process of conversion, before people experience rebirth, the Holy Spirit shows them, for the first time, their sinful, cultivated traits of character in light of the cross. This new revelation causes them to love Jesus and to hate sin; thus, they are motivated from on High to confess and crucify their old man.

Jesus never cultivated sinful traits of character, therefore, He never had to confess or crucify them.

I disagree with this. Of course, the first part of the sentence is true, but the second part isn't. Jesus said for us to take up our cross and *follow* Him. If He had nothing to crucify, then we have nothing to follow. Please don't forget that Christ bore our sins in fallen flesh His whole life. The Spirit of Prophecy says that it was our sins He was bearing that made His temptations in the wilderness so difficult.

Quote:
Consequently, neither did He have the sinful propensities associated with cultivated sinful traits of character.

The old man dies the moment people experience the miracle of rebirth. The sinful propensities associated with sinful character also dies. God implants within them all of His righteous attributes of character, all of the fruits of the Spirit.

It seems to me that the old man includes our memories, and as such, does not die the moment of rebirth. I've heard it said that every morning the old man reappears in a new suit. Also our sinful propensities remain to tempt us. They are not instantly gone. For example, many converted smokers or alcoholics still feel the urge to smoke or drink. The sinful propensity is dead only so far as the temptations which come from these propensities are denied, or crucified, to use your term. This crucification is not need just once, when one is born again.

Quote:
As born again believers abide in Jesus, as they walk in the Spirit and mind of the new man, as they partake of the divine nature - they grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit, they cultivate sinless traits of character. Jesus, of course, only cultivated sinless traits of character.

Regarding tendencies. At birth people also inherit all of the sinful tendencies, inclinations, propensities common to mankind. This aspect of human nature differs from hereditary traits of character in that it compels people to cultivate inherited traits of character in a sinful manner. It is called "sinful flesh".

Could you clarify this please? I understand the sentence beginning with "At birth," but the following two sentences are not clear to me.

Quote:
Born again believers retain this aspect of human nature after they experience the miracle of rebirth. It will continue to war against them, against the Spirit and mind of the new man, until the day Jesus arrives and replaces it with a sinless flesh. Jesus, I believe, inherited the same sinful flesh at His incarnation.

I agree with this, but don't think it goes far enough. Born again believers also retain their memories, and these memories also have an impact on one, contributing to temptations.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #101043
07/21/08 01:18 AM
07/21/08 01:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, I don't see the distinction in your thought between justification, sanctification, and perfection of character. Is there any? It seems you believe that one must have a perfect character in order to be justified.

Justification cannot occur if a person retains even the least offensive cultivated sinful trait of character. To renounce self, to crucify the old man, people must first see their cultivated sinful traits of character in light of the cross; then they must repent of them; then they must receive the divinely implanted mind of the new man, the righteous attributes of God's character; then they must choose daily to abide in Jesus, to grow in grace, to partake of the divine nature.

Although they are born again morally complete in Christ (perfect, sinless, without spot or blame) they are not, however, born again morally mature, as if they have no more room to grow in grace or to mature in the fruits of the Spirit. In the same way Jesus grew and matured from childhood to manhood, so too they will grow and mature (so long as they continually choose to abide in Jesus). Like Jesus, they begin perfect (with all of the righteous attributes of God's character; but they are babes, immature) and they become perfect (they cultivate sinless traits of character, perfecting holiness, which continues throughout eternity).

Believers begin the process of sanctification (growing and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit) the instant they receive the gift of justification. They retain the glorious benefits of justification by perfecting holiness, by daily advancing from one stage of perfection to another. It has nothing to do with becoming less and less sinful. And, it has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit gradually, gingerly, gently making them aware of their sins of ignorance, their mental imperfections, as I like to call them (e.g. not knowing the truth about Sabbath-keeping as opposed to supposedly not knowing it is a sin to be impatient with little Johnny when he keeps asking "annoying" questions).

6BC 1072
Many commit the error of trying to define minutely the fine points of distinction between justification and sanctification. Into the definitions of these two terms they often bring their own ideas and speculations. Why try to be more minute than is Inspiration on the vital question of righteousness by faith? Why try to work out every minute point, as if the salvation of the soul depended upon all having exactly your understanding of this matter? All cannot see in the same line of vision (MS 21, 1891). {6BC 1072.4}

FW 100
But while God can be just, and yet justify the sinner through the merits of Christ, no man can cover his soul with the garments of Christ's righteousness while practicing known sins or neglecting known duties. God requires the entire surrender of the heart, before justification can take place; and in order for man to retain justification, there must be continual obedience, through active, living faith that works by love and purifies the soul. {FW 100.1}

1SM 213
There is no safety nor repose nor justification in transgression of the law. Man cannot hope to stand innocent before God, and at peace with Him through the merits of Christ, while he continues in sin. He must cease to transgress, and become loyal and true. As the sinner looks into the great moral looking glass, he sees his defects of character. He sees himself just as he is, spotted, defiled, and condemned. But he knows that the law cannot in any way remove the guilt or pardon the transgressor. He must go farther than this. The law is but the schoolmaster to bring him to Christ. He must look to his sin-bearing Saviour. And as Christ is revealed to him upon the cross of Calvary, dying beneath the weight of the sins of the whole world, the Holy Spirit shows him the attitude of God to all who repent of their transgressions. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). {1SM 213.2}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101045
07/21/08 02:12 AM
07/21/08 02:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: Jesus never cultivated sinful traits of character, therefore, He never had to confess or crucify them. Consequently, neither did He have the sinful propensities associated with cultivated sinful traits of character.

TE: I disagree with this. Of course, the first part of the sentence is true, but the second part isn't. Jesus said for us to take up our cross and *follow* Him. If He had nothing to crucify, then we have nothing to follow. Please don't forget that Christ bore our sins in fallen flesh His whole life. The Spirit of Prophecy says that it was our sins He was bearing that made His temptations in the wilderness so difficult.

Yes, of course, Jesus was born with the sins of the world upon Him, within His sinful flesh. And, yes, His sinful flesh warred against Him in the same way and for the reasons it wars against born again believers. What I meant above is Jesus never had to confess or crucify a sinful trait of character He Himself cultivated. Therefore, He never developed the propensities associated with cultivating sinful traits of character. Instead, He was born with the propensities associated with inheriting sinful flesh, which is an altogether different type or source of internal foe (tendency, propensity).

MM: The old man dies the moment people experience the miracle of rebirth. The sinful propensities associated with sinful character also dies. God implants within them all of His righteous attributes of character, all of the fruits of the Spirit.

TE: It seems to me that the old man includes our memories, and as such, does not die the moment of rebirth. I've heard it said that every morning the old man reappears in a new suit. Also our sinful propensities remain to tempt us. They are not instantly gone. For example, many converted smokers or alcoholics still feel the urge to smoke or drink. The sinful propensity is dead only so far as the temptations which come from these propensities are denied, or crucified, to use your term. This crucification is not need just once, when one is born again.

Yes, our memories of sinning in the past remain to haunt and harass us after we crucify the old man and experience the miracle of rebirth. But this fact only serves to convince me they are not part of the old man; otherwise, they would have been blotted out with the death and burial of the old man. You believe we will retain these memories in heaven, right? If so, then wouldn’t that mean we will take our old man to heaven with us?

I believe the source of internal temptation, the origin of latent carnal cravings, such as drinking and smoking, in the case of born again believers who are abiding in Jesus is sinful flesh – not sinful character. As people cultivate sinful traits of character, corresponding tendencies in sinful flesh are fortified and strengthened. It is these very fortified sinful flesh tendencies that account for the fact they are tempted from within with the same intensity, with the same veracity as before they were born again.

The cultivated evil propensities associated with sinful character are eliminated when our old man is crucified. “We need not retain one sinful propensity.” (7BC 943) “The religion of Christ is to take possession of the whole being, and give force and power to all our faculties, renovating, cleansing, and refining.” (SD 100)

But the inherited evil propensities associated with sinful flesh are not eliminated until Jesus returns. “Evil propensities are to be controlled.” (CG 42) “He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him”. (AA 476)

MM: Regarding tendencies. At birth people also inherit all of the sinful tendencies, inclinations, propensities common to mankind. This aspect of human nature differs from hereditary traits of character in that it compels people to cultivate inherited traits of character in a sinful manner. It is called "sinful flesh".

TE: Could you clarify this please? I understand the sentence beginning with "At birth," but the following two sentences are not clear to me.

I’m referring to the fact there are two sources of tendencies, propensities – inherited and cultivated. People are born with the one, cultivate the other, and are born again without the latter. Jesus was born with the one, and never cultivated the other.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101046
07/21/08 03:35 AM
07/21/08 03:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, our memories of sinning in the past remain to haunt and harass us after we crucify the old man and experience the miracle of rebirth. But this fact only serves to convince me they are not part of the old man; otherwise, they would have been blotted out with the death and burial of the old man. You believe we will retain these memories in heaven, right? If so, then wouldn’t that mean we will take our old man to heaven with us?

No, this doesn't follow. If A is a part of B, and we will not take B to us with heaven, it doesn't follow from this that we will not take A to use with heaven, which is how you're reasoning.

Quote:
I believe the source of internal temptation, the origin of latent carnal cravings, such as drinking and smoking, in the case of born again believers who are abiding in Jesus is sinful flesh – not sinful character.

The memories also play a part.

Quote:
As people cultivate sinful traits of character, corresponding tendencies in sinful flesh are fortified and strengthened. It is these very fortified sinful flesh tendencies that account for the fact they are tempted from within with the same intensity, with the same veracity as before they were born again. I’m referring to the fact there are two sources of tendencies, propensities – inherited and cultivated. People are born with the one, cultivate the other, and are born again without the latter.

Born again without sinful tendencies? Sinful tendencies do not go away in an instant. How could they?

Habits are formed by repeated actions, which are the results of choices made by wills which may or may not be sanctified. When one becomes born again, the will is sanctified, but the habits don't just disappear. One may choose not to do them, but these sinful tendencies remain, being embedded in the nervous system. It takes time to form new neurological pathways. Perhaps you would recharacterize these as "sinful flesh," but I think the heart of the matter is the idea you have that there is no difference between being born again, sanctified, or perfect (unless I've misunderstood you; you do think these are all synonymous, don't you?)

Quote:
Jesus was born with the one, and never cultivated the other.

This is true.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #101127
07/23/08 02:54 PM
07/23/08 02:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Yes, our memories of sinning in the past remain to haunt and harass us after we crucify the old man and experience the miracle of rebirth. But this fact only serves to convince me they are not part of the old man; otherwise, they would have been blotted out with the death and burial of the old man. You believe we will retain these memories in heaven, right? If so, then wouldn’t that mean we will take our old man to heaven with us?

TE: No, this doesn't follow. If A is a part of B, and we will not take B to us with heaven, it doesn't follow from this that we will not take A to use with heaven, which is how you're reasoning.

Paul says people crucify their old man the moment they experience the miracle of rebirth, which happens before they go to heaven. Their "old man is crucified" the instant they die to self and are born again. They die and are resurrected, as it were, without the old man. The old man remains buried in the grave. Then they rise with the implanted mind and heart of the new man, they rise to newness of life.

Romans
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

So, the question is - What constitutes the old man? What does it consist of, what is it made up of? Paul has this to say about it:

Ephesians
4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

He went on to say the following (the contrast between the old man and the new man is insightful):

Quote:
Colossians
3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
3:6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
3:10 And have put on the new [man], which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all.
3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye.
3:14 And above all these things [put on] charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Ephesians
2:1 And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins:
2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:
2:7 That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
4:3 For the time past of [our] life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
4:4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with [them] to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of [you]:
4:5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Sister White took all these things into account when wrote this about the old man (please note she is speaking specifically about newborn babes in Christ, newly baptized members of the Church):

Great responsibility comes to those who have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Strive to understand the meaning of the words, "Ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." In the new life upon which you have entered, you are pledged to represent the life of Christ. Having put on the new man, "which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him," "put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things, put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful." {SD 300.2}

The old sinful life is dead; the new life entered into with Christ by the pledge of baptism. Practise the virtues of the Saviour's character. Let His wisdom dwell in you richly in all wisdom; "teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." . . . The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

She also says the following about the old man:

Quote:
You have clothed yourself with a self-righteous garment to cover up the deformity of sin; but this is not the remedy. You know not what true conversion is. The old man is not dead in you. You have a form of godliness, but not the cleansing power of God. You can and do talk and write smoothly, and as far as your words go, they may possibly be correct; but the true language of the heart is not spoken. You are enough acquainted with yourself to know this. Your case is perilous; yet God pities you, and will save you if you fall all broken at His feet, feeling your impurity and vileness, your rottenness of soul, without the transforming power of God. {2T 322.2}

You have not felt the positive necessity of training your mind, nor of crucifying in yourself the old man with the affections and lusts. {3T 240.4}

Through the merits of Christ you may part with that which scars and deforms the soul, and which develops a misshapen character. You must put away the old man with his errors and take the new man, Christ Jesus. Adopt His life as your guide then your talents and intellect will be devoted to God's service. {4T 92.1}

"Put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." Once they were corrupt, degraded, enslaved by lustful passions; they were drugged by worldly opiates, blinded, bewildered, and betrayed by Satan's devices. Now that they had been taught the truth as it is in Jesus, there must be a decided change in their life and character. {5T 172.1}

In order for you to do good you must live a new life that is in harmony with God. Your perverse nature has not been transformed. You are not at peace with God or with yourself. You are in bondage to the great adversary of souls, in subjection to the old man of sin. You are not a free man in Christ. There is needed a spiritual change in you before God can work with you. You may argue that you have success as you labor. So do many who are at war with God have a measure of success. If some do embrace the truth while the arguments you use are so convincing, it is no evidence you are in a state of even acceptance with God. {TSB 170.3}

Provision has been made whereby every soul that is struggling under sinful practices may be made free from sin. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29). The Christian is not to retain his sinful habits and cherish his defects of character, but he is to be renewed in the spirit of his mind after the divine similitude. Whatever may be the nature of your defects, the Spirit of the Lord will enable you to discern them, and grace will be given you whereby they may be overcome. Through the merits of the blood of Christ you may be a conqueror--yes, more than a conqueror. . . . {TMK 237.2}

Ask the Lord to reveal to you yourself; place your life under His searching eye, and when He lays hold upon your case you will see that you have made grievous mistakes, and what you supposed was of little importance was offensive in the sight of Heaven. You will see that there is a decided need of thorough transformation of character. You will realize that you must put away the evil of your doings, and cooperate with God and heavenly angels who are sent to minister unto those who shall be heirs of salvation. . . . {TMK 237.3}

Self must die. Every practice, every habit, that has a harmful tendency, however innocent it may be regarded by the world, must be battled with until overcome, that the human agent may perfect a character after the divine Pattern. . . . {TMK 237.4}

Between the Bible and the SOP it seems clear to me that the "old man" represents the former life of sinning, the sinful habits and practices people cultivated before they experienced the miracle of rebirth - true, genuine rebirth. Dozens of specific sinful habits and practices were named, each one being confessed and crucified upon being born again.

There is no evidence, however, that their memories were purged or crucified, which leads me to conclude memories are not part of the old man. That which dies with the crucifixion and burial of the old man are the former cultivated sinful habits and practices. Of course, sinful flesh remains to tempt and harass them, but these internal foes should not be confused with the dead and buried old man. Sinful flesh and sinful character (the old man) are two entirely separate aspects of human nature - at rebirth, the one remains while the other is removed, it ceases to exist, to function.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101128
07/23/08 03:09 PM
07/23/08 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: As people cultivate sinful traits of character, corresponding tendencies in sinful flesh are fortified and strengthened. It is these very fortified sinful flesh tendencies that account for the fact they are tempted from within with the same intensity, with the same veracity as before they were born again. I’m referring to the fact there are two sources of tendencies, propensities – inherited and cultivated. People are born with the one, cultivate the other, and are born again without the latter.

TE: Born again without sinful tendencies? Sinful tendencies do not go away in an instant. How could they? Habits are formed by repeated actions, which are the results of choices made by wills which may or may not be sanctified. When one becomes born again, the will is sanctified, but the habits don't just disappear. One may choose not to do them, but these sinful tendencies remain, being embedded in the nervous system. It takes time to form new neurological pathways. Perhaps you would recharacterize these as "sinful flesh," but I think the heart of the matter is the idea you have that there is no difference between being born again, sanctified, or perfect (unless I've misunderstood you; you do think these are all synonymous, don't you?)

Yes, I agree, the tendencies, propensities, the momentum that results from cultivating sinful habits and practices through repetition do not go away right away. They remain to tempt people. Certain propensities die off right away while others linger and die off slowly; some never do completely die off. But these particular propensities cannot be a part of the old man. Why? Because Paul tells us that the old man is crucified and buried when people are born again. So the propensities associated with the old man die off right away.

I believe the source of internal temptation, the origin of latent carnal cravings, such as drinking and smoking (in the case of born again believers who are abiding in Jesus) is sinful flesh – not sinful character (the old man).

The cultivated evil propensities associated with sinful character are eliminated when our old man is crucified. “We need not retain one sinful propensity.” (7BC 943) “The religion of Christ is to take possession of the whole being, and give force and power to all our faculties, renovating, cleansing, and refining.” (SD 100)

But the inherited evil propensities associated with sinful flesh are not eliminated until Jesus returns. “Evil propensities are to be controlled.” (CG 42) “He who has determined to enter the spiritual kingdom will find that all the powers and passions of unregenerate nature, backed by the forces of the kingdom of darkness, are arrayed against him”. (AA 476)

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101129
07/23/08 03:18 PM
07/23/08 03:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I think the heart of the matter is the idea you have that there is no difference between being born again, sanctified, or perfect (unless I've misunderstood you; you do think these are all synonymous, don't you?)

People who experience the miracle of rebirth have, in light of the cross, confessed their old man habits and practices of sin, and they have crucified and buried the old man. They receive the implanted mind of the new man, which comes complete with all the righteous attributes of God's character, with all the fruits of the Spirit. The moment they are born again they are sanctified and perfect. They begin at rebirth where Jesus began at birth. Like Jesus, they begin perfect (complete) and they become perfect (mature). As babes in Christ, they grow in grace and mature in the fruits of the Spirit "more and more unto the perfect day". They advance from one stage of perfection to another, perfecting holiness unto the honor and glory of God our Father.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101140
07/23/08 06:58 PM
07/23/08 06:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think I agree with the words you wrote, although it's a bit difficult to decipher. However, I think you mean something different by them than I would. For example, I think you think that a born again person commits no sins. Not just known sins, but unknown sins as well, except for things you call "mental," the only example of which I know is the Sabbath.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101143
07/23/08 10:39 PM
07/23/08 10:39 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: No, I don’t think God is waiting to reveal it to them until a more appropriate time. Rather, I think that it’s their mind that is not able to apprehend, at the same time, everything God is trying to communicate.
MM: What do you mean by "apprehend"? Do you mean grasp, understand, comprehend? Is God trying to reveal to them all of their sinful habits and traits at the same time before they are born again?

Yes. God reveals our sins to us through the light of His Word. But we are not able to grasp all this light at once. Of course it’s easy to see immediately the most obvious sins: killing, stealing, lying, blasphemy, adultery, etc. But there are more subtle sins that we may not notice immediately.

Quote:
R: Sinful traits, to me, are synonymous with sinful tendencies. Do you agree with this?
MM: A trait is a characteristic; whereas, a tendency is a propensity. We develop traits and resist tendencies.

But "traits" refer not only to what is developed, but also to that which we are born with.
Ellen White uses these terms interchangeably. It’s clear they are synonyms. The only possible distinction might be that the tendencies are that which is inside you, while traits might refer to the outward manifestation of these tendencies.

“Each soul inherits certain un-Christlike traits of character. It is the grand and noble work of a lifetime to keep under control these tendencies to wrong.” {HP 231.2}

“Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected. . . .” {RC 298.2}

“Every day hereditary tendencies to wrong will strive for the mastery. Every day you are to war against your objectionable traits of character, until there are left in you none of those things which need to be separated from you.”{6MR 84.3}

“No one can be omnipotent, but all can cleanse themselves from filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of the Lord. God requires every soul to be pure and holy. We have hereditary tendencies to wrong. This is a part of self that no one need carry about. It is a weakness of humanity to pet selfishness, because it is a natural trait of character. But unless all selfishness is put away, unless self is crucified, we can never be holy as God is holy. There is in humanity a tendency to suspicious imagining, which circumstances quicken into lively growth. If this trait is indulged, it spoils the character and ruins the soul.” {FLB 140.4}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Rosangela] #101145
07/24/08 12:08 AM
07/24/08 12:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But "traits" refer not only to what is developed, but also to that which we are born with.
Ellen White uses these terms interchangeably. It’s clear they are synonyms.

Quote:
a distinguishing characteristic or quality, esp. of one's personal nature: bad traits of character.

Quote:
an inclination, bent, or predisposition to something:

The first is a definition for "trait," the second for "tendency."

Page 23 of 55 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!