HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 55 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101689
08/16/08 11:14 PM
08/16/08 11:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - I'm going to be away again for awhile. See ya when I get back.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101963
08/26/08 06:24 PM
08/26/08 06:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you seem to be saying Paul did not understand the 10th commandment before his conversion. As a learned Pharisee, what did he think it meant? It's hard to believe he was totally clueless. What changed just before he was converted? Certainly he was aware of the law before his conversion. The question is - At what point was he cognizant of it, namely, aware that covetousness is debilitating?

The following passages reiterate the idea I've been espousing, that people are born with a moral knowledge of what is right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments:

"God has written His law upon every nerve and muscle, every fiber and function of the human body. {Ev 265.4}

"His law is written by His own finger upon every nerve, every muscle, every fiber of our being, upon every faculty which has been entrusted to man. {OHC 266.2}

"As through Christ every human being has life, so also through Him every soul receives some ray of divine light. Not only intellectual but spiritual power, a perception of right, a desire for goodness, exists in every heart. (RC 106)

"The human mind is endowed with power to discriminate between right and wrong. (DA 458)

"Every careless, inattentive action, any abuse put upon the Lord's wonderful mechanism, by disregarding His specified laws in the human habitation, is a violation of God's law. wonderful. {CD 17.2}

Paul would have been aware of the sinfulness of selfish, sinful desires. No one is ignorant of the fact such desires are destructive and counterproductive. From a very early age people are able to put two and two together, realizing that coveting the things other people have, knowing they cannot have it without taking it by force, makes them feel lousy.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's." {PP 309.4}

"The tenth commandment strikes at the very root of all sins, prohibiting the selfish desire, from which springs the sinful act. He who in obedience to God's law refrains from indulging even a sinful desire for that which belongs to another will not be guilty of an act of wrong toward his fellow creatures. {PP 309.5}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #101971
08/26/08 06:57 PM
08/26/08 06:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, Paul said he would not have not known covetousness if it weren't for the commandment which said, "Thou shalt not covet." How do get from this the idea that Paul didn't understand the 10th commandment before his conversion?

Quote:
The following passages reiterate the idea I've been espousing, that people are born with a moral knowledge of what is right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments:

"God has written His law upon every nerve and muscle, every fiber and function of the human body. {Ev 265.4}

This one doesn't. It is no way distinguishes between the first 4 and last 6 commandments.

Quote:
"As through Christ every human being has life, so also through Him every soul receives some ray of divine light. Not only intellectual but spiritual power, a perception of right, a desire for goodness, exists in every heart. (RC 106)

Nor this one, for the same reason. Ditto for the next 2.

Quote:
Paul would have been aware of the sinfulness of selfish, sinful desires. No one is ignorant of the fact such desires are destructive and counterproductive. From a very early age people are able to put two and two together, realizing that coveting the things other people have, knowing they cannot have it without taking it by force, makes them feel lousy.

This may be your opinion, MM, but it doesn't agree with what Paul actually said himself, right? Paul said:

Quote:
On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”(Romans 7:7)

This is pretty much the exact opposite of your idea, isn't it?

I don't know why you quoted PP 309.

Anyway, none of the statements you quoted in any way supports your assertion that the last 6 commandments are instinctive and the first 4 ones aren't, right? Take this one, for example:

Quote:
"His law is written by His own finger upon every nerve, every muscle, every fiber of our being, upon every faculty which has been entrusted to man. {OHC 266.2}

Wouldn't you have to interpret "His law" as "the last table of His law" in order to agree with your idea?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102001
08/27/08 03:36 PM
08/27/08 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, my question to you is - At what point in Paul's life was he aware of the debilitating affects of covetousness?

Also, I agree with you that the quotes I posted do not differentiate between the two tables of the law. But they do clearly teach that the law of God is written within us from birth. Reality teaches us which commandments are known from birth without having to read them in the Bible.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102004
08/27/08 04:00 PM
08/27/08 04:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, my question to you is - At what point in Paul's life was he aware of the debilitating affects of covetousness?

"debilitating affects of covetousness". What is this?

Paul said he would not have known covetousness if not for the law. Isn't this the direct opposite of what you've been saying?

Quote:
Also, I agree with you that the quotes I posted do not differentiate between the two tables of the law. But they do clearly teach that the law of God is written within us from birth. Reality teaches us which commandments are known from birth without having to read them in the Bible.

This hasn't been disputed. What's under dispute is your theory that the first 4 commandments are not instinctive but the last 6 are. Indeed, the quotes you presented, as well as your comments here, are further evidence against your theory.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102079
08/29/08 02:13 PM
08/29/08 02:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
People who covet things they can't have are miserable, it is debilitating. When did Paul realize coveting things he couldn't have was one of the sources of his debilitating unrest and unhappiness? When did he put two-and-two together, that is, when did he see in the law the relationship between coveting and feeling miserable? Was it before he became a Pharisee? Before he became an adult? Before he become a youth? Did he know it instinctively from birth? When?

The point of this thread is to address the question - Are we born again with uncrucified, cultivated sinful habits?

I'm not talking about sins of ignorance. In other words, I'm not talking about the fact many sincere believers are born again ignorant of the truth about Sabbath-keeping. Nobody knows from birth, nobody knows instinctively that the Son of God died on the cross to impress and empower believers to keep holy the Sabbath day, to avoid taking His name in vain, to avoid fashioning icons to represent Him.

However, everyone able person of sound mind and body knows instinctively from birth not to murder, not to steal, not to lie, not to commit adultery, not to dishonor their parents, and not to covet. These aspects of the law were written on every fiber of their being at conception.

True, not everyone can articulate this fact until after they see it in the Bible, nevertheless, they know they feel miserable when they violate anyone of them. That is, before they see it in the Bible they would not be able to say, "The reason I feel miserable when I do this or that is because it is forbidden in the law of God, because we were not designed to sin, to break the law of God."

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102106
08/29/08 04:22 PM
08/29/08 04:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't understand why you are asking all these questions about when Paul knew what regarding covetousness. My point was simply that Paul said that he would not have known covetousness if not for the law, which is directly contrary to what you've been saying, which is that he instinctively knew about it, since it's one of the last six commandments.

Quote:
However, everyone able person of sound mind and body knows instinctively from birth not to murder, not to steal, not to lie, not to commit adultery, not to dishonor their parents, and not to covet.

Not Paul!

Quote:
On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” (Romans 7:7)

The biggest flaw I perceive in your theory is the separation you make between the first 4 commandments and the last 6. For example, the quote you presented from EGW speaking of the law being in every fiber of our being makes no such distinction.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102189
08/31/08 02:47 PM
08/31/08 02:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
You are assuming Paul did not have the 10th commandment written on his heart and mind at conception and that that is why he knew the law forbade coveting. Paul was a Jew, thus, he knew about the 10th commandment from very early on.

Even if people cannot explain coveting violates the 10th commandment, they are, nevertheless, cognizant of the fact coveting makes them miserable. People are wired from conception to feel miserable when they covet, when they break any one of the 10Cs.

There is a difference, though, between the first 4 and last 6 commandments so far as people knowing instinctively what makes them miserable. IOW, they are not able to identify breaking the 4th commandment as a source of what makes them miserable. OTOH, they are instinctively aware coveting makes them miserable, even though they do not know why, even though they do not understand it's because they are violating one of God's commandments.

God designed us to feel bad and miserable whenever we violate one of His commandments. It matters not that people do not understand breaking the law is what makes them miserable.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #102194
08/31/08 05:52 PM
08/31/08 05:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You are assuming Paul did not have the 10th commandment written on his heart and mind at conception and that that is why he knew the law forbade coveting. Paul was a Jew, thus, he knew about the 10th commandment from very early on.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just taking Paul at his word. He said he would not have known coveting if not for the law.

This is diametrically opposed to your theory, right?

The rest of your post you simply reassert your ideas, but don't offer any proof. Why do you distinguish between the first 4 commandments and the last 6? The EGW quote you cited earlier includes all 10.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #102302
09/03/08 02:27 PM
09/03/08 02:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I, too, am taking Paul at his word. You seem to think, though, that he's not talking about knowing it instinctively, knowing by experience that coveting somehow breaks one of the commandments of life and living. You seem to think he's only referring to when he learned about it sometime later on in life, when he learned about it from his mother and father as a child.

I'm saying people realize coveting makes them miserable early on in life, before they learn about it through Bible study and prayer. True, they wouldn't know it except for the fact the law was written in every nerve and fiber of their physical and emotional being at conception and birth. Paul speaks of the law written in our flesh in the following passages:

"Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God." Rom 6:13. "I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness." Verse 19.

"For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death." Rom 7:5. "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members." Verse 23. "So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." Verse 25.

I am also saying this fact is true of each one of the ten commandments - not just the last six. God designed us to feel bad and miserable whenever we violate one of His commandments. It matters not that people do not understand breaking the law of God is what makes them miserable.

In the case of feeling miserable because they are breaking the first half of the law, they are incapable of identifying the cause of their misery before learning about it through Bible study and prayer. But when they break the last half of the law, they are able to identify and articulate the behaviors that make them feel miserable. The shelves are full of secular books on the subject.

For example, people know naturally that dishonoring their parents makes them feel weird and miserable. People know instinctively that murder, adultery, stealing, lying, and coveting are wrong and leave them feeling miserable when they fail to resist committing them. There is no shortage of worldly books and therapists to verify these findings and observations.

Page 25 of 55 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!