HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101697
08/17/08 06:12 PM
08/17/08 06:12 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
So also, God leaving sinners to reap death in consequence of their sin can be seen as God "doing something" to cause the death, because He refused to prevent it.

Yes, like a person who jumps off a building. God refuses to do something about this every time He allows this to happen. Again, this seems to me to be an odd way of looking at it.

Would you consider that train track switch operator as having no responsibility in the outcome?

For 6000 years, God has prevented the result of sin from being fully realized. If He suddenly changes His course of action such that all the sinners who ever lived reap the consequences within a short time of each other, don't you think that can rightly be called "doing something"?

BTW, a localized modification in the values of G (F=GMm/r^2) and/or k (F=kQq/r^2) would prevent harm to the silly jumper. No angelic intervention required.

Last edited by asygo; 08/17/08 06:23 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101700
08/17/08 07:11 PM
08/17/08 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Would you consider that train track switch operator as having no responsibility in the outcome?

Yes. I don't see this has any relation to our discussion though.

Quote:
For 6000 years, God has prevented the result of sin from being fully realized. If He suddenly changes His course of action such that all the sinners who ever lived reap the consequences within a short time of each other, don't you think that can rightly be called "doing something"?

I think it would be similar to the analogy I gave. That is, for 6,000 years, God sends an angel to prevent a person's jumping off a building from being fatal, or, to use Scott's illustration, He miraculously replaces the solid ground with a swimming pool. So God would be "doing something" in the sense of not miraculously putting in a pool.

This can't really be characterized as God's doing something so much as people becoming accustomed to God's doing something, and expecting Him to continue doing the same thing.

Quote:
BTW, a localized modification in the values of G (F=GMm/r^2) and/or k (F=kQq/r^2) would prevent harm to the silly jumper. No angelic intervention required.

Or God could put in a pool. Or miraculously put a giant pogo stick in the hands of the one falling. I agree; lots of ways to save the jumper without using angels.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101702
08/17/08 07:48 PM
08/17/08 07:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

I was thinking more about this. This could have some bad side effects.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101704
08/17/08 07:50 PM
08/17/08 07:50 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:

Yes. I don't see this has any relation to our discussion though.

Wait, that was ambiguous. Let's try that again.

Does the train track switch operator have any responsibility if he allows the kid to be crushed by the train?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101706
08/17/08 10:02 PM
08/17/08 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Of course a switch operator has responsibility. No one would argue this, would they?

However, I don't see this as being a good analogy, because God, in real life (as I perceive things) is not performing an analogous act in choosing not to prevent one to exercise a choice, done with the knowledge of the consequences involved.

The kid playing on the tracks is not making a conscious choice to die, like someone jumping off a building would be doing in the analogy I suggested.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101707
08/17/08 10:07 PM
08/17/08 10:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Perhaps a good thing to do, to help us communicate, is to explain what we think is happening in the judgment. From the GC 543 quote, it seems to me what happens is the wicked simply do not want to live if living means being with God, abiding by the principles of love, being around those who love God, etc. The conscious choice of sin/self over love/God results in the destruction of their character, which ruin ends in their voluntary exclusion from heaven.

Boy, that was briefer than I thought it was going to be! I'll stop here.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101708
08/17/08 10:19 PM
08/17/08 10:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
In our previous discussions I presented this argument to you many times, Tom - that God cannot be exempted from responsibility when He lets people die by removing His grace. As I said in the thread "The Atonement," God's act of removing His grace would be equivalent to removing the net from bellow the person who jumped from the building and then saying that the person died because of his/her own choice. This is only partly true, like in the case of the switch operator.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101710
08/17/08 10:41 PM
08/17/08 10:41 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The conscious choice of sin/self over love/God results in the destruction of their character, which ruin ends in their voluntary exclusion from heaven.

This choice is made before the judgment - during the life of the person. At the judgment the person just understands the sinfulness of his/her sins and the value of the salvation he/she refused to accept. It's this that will cause agony to the person and kill him/her.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101713
08/17/08 11:37 PM
08/17/08 11:37 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
The conscious choice of sin/self over love/God results in the destruction of their character, which ruin ends in their voluntary exclusion from heaven.

This choice is made before the judgment - during the life of the person. At the judgment the person just understands the sinfulness of his/her sins and the value of the salvation he/she refused to accept. It's this that will cause agony to the person and kill him/her.

Yes, I agree with. Such is the balance between man's inalienable free will and God's sovereign choice.

As for Rosangela's previous post, the end of the wicked is actually by God's discretion, for he rules over all eventualities whatsover - and rules JUSTLY & is HOLY throughout!

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Colin] #101716
08/18/08 01:33 AM
08/18/08 01:33 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In our previous discussions I presented this argument to you many times, Tom - that God cannot be exempted from responsibility when He lets people die by removing His grace.

I don't recall this. The idea that God is responsible seems to be Satan's argument. From DA 764:

Quote:
his is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

This seems to exempt God from responsibility and place it upon the wicked, which, IMO, is where it belongs.

Quote:
As I said in the thread "The Atonement," God's act of removing His grace would be equivalent to removing the net from bellow the person who jumped from the building and then saying that the person died because of his/her own choice. This is only partly true, like in the case of the switch operator.

It's more like God's not miraculously placing a net in place, as opposed to His removing it. It's like if you take poison, and God provides a remedy so you don't die, so you have time to decide if you really want the poison or not. You decided you want the poison, and God says, "Ok, if that's your choice, I'll respect it."

I really don't see how God can be help responsible for the wickeds' choice of sin. It seems to me the only way God could be responsible would be if sin were innocuous.

Page 23 of 36 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!