HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 36 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101734
08/18/08 08:04 PM
08/18/08 08:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I never said sin would destroy itself. I've been quoting DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This doesn't say "sin will destroy itself." It says that death is "the inevitable result of sin." This is what I have said. Not once have I said "sin will destroy itself." Many, many times I've said "death is the inevitable result of sin."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101741
08/19/08 01:36 PM
08/19/08 01:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
You haven't said this in the present discussion, but you said it in previous discussions. In the thread "The Atonement" you said it in post #75920 and subsequent posts.

Quote:
Here we see that sin is destructive in its tendencies. To whom is sin destructive? To the one practicing it. It is destructive to the one, or self, who is practicing it, and hence is self destructive. It destroys the one who does it.

It seems to me you still defend this.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101746
08/19/08 05:06 PM
08/19/08 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(Tom)Here we see that sin is destructive in its tendencies. To whom is sin destructive? To the one practicing it. It is destructive to the one, or self, who is practicing it, and hence is self destructive. It destroys the one who does it.

"Self" is referring to the one practicing it. This says, " It is destructive to the one, or self, who is practicing it." The "self" here is referring to the person, not the sin. Again this says, "It destroys the one who does it." It doesn't say, "It destroys itself."

Sinners destroy themselves by insisting to cling to sin.

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them....The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 107, 108)

The problem is clearly sin. Sin causes the revelation of the character of God to result in death for one group of people, while for another, the same revelation results in life.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101748
08/19/08 07:39 PM
08/19/08 07:39 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Why are we talking like sin is some kind of an entity in itself? Sin is rebellion against God. Sin happens in the minds of sinners (that's all of us). Sins are what people do who are in rebellion against God. How could sin destroy itself? Sinners destroy themselves all the time! That is a given! And when they die their sin, as far as they are concerned, is over and dead.

All God needs to do to wipe out sin is to remove all His holy influence and leave sinners to their own demise. I would call it releasing the four winds of strife, the end of probation, or the destruction of the wicked.

The real question is not whether or not sinners could survive a world run by Satan with none of God’s influence present, but how long would it take for them to destroy the whole earth including themselves!

The resurrection and final death of the wicked seems to be an answer to several questions that no one is asking. What would a world be like without the influence of God? Is there life outside of God? Can beings survive without God? If the answer to these questions is “no” then it is very obvious that Satan’s rebellion had no foundation in the first place and he is a liar from the beginning.

scott

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101752
08/19/08 10:08 PM
08/19/08 10:08 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Again this says, "It destroys the one who does it." It doesn't say, "It destroys itself."

Tom, I said "and subsequent posts."

#75923 "If sin destroys a person's life, it destroys itself, because sin cannot exist apart from one's life."

#75927 "Sin is not a sentient being which can do anything. When we speak of sin, just as in the case of the law, doing something, this is a metaphor. Sin causes the one who sins to irrationally choose death, which is how it 'destroys itself.'"

However, in your post #75929 you said this: "Saying that sin destroys itself is an unclear way of putting things. I'm quite sure I've never said that."

Now I'm confused. Which is your position?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101755
08/19/08 10:48 PM
08/19/08 10:48 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
By the way, when I re-read part of that discussion, I remembered Ecclesiastes 1:9 - "What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun." What we are discussing is what we have already discussed...

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101758
08/19/08 11:17 PM
08/19/08 11:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I said "and subsequent posts."

#75923 "If sin destroys a person's life, it destroys itself, because sin cannot exist apart from one's life."

#75927 "Sin is not a sentient being which can do anything. When we speak of sin, just as in the case of the law, doing something, this is a metaphor. Sin causes the one who sins to irrationally choose death, which is how it 'destroys itself.'"

However, in your post #75929 you said this: "Saying that sin destroys itself is an unclear way of putting things. I'm quite sure I've never said that."

It should be clear than whenever words like "sin" or "law" are used in ways indicating volition, that a metaphor is intended.

Regarding this quote:

Quote:
If sin destroys a person's life, it destroys itself, because sin cannot exist apart from one's life.

This is true, isn't it? I mean, don't even you agree with it?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101796
08/22/08 08:33 PM
08/22/08 08:33 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
Of course a switch operator has responsibility. No one would argue this, would they?

However, I don't see this as being a good analogy, because God, in real life (as I perceive things) is not performing an analogous act in choosing not to prevent one to exercise a choice, done with the knowledge of the consequences involved.

The kid playing on the tracks is not making a conscious choice to die, like someone jumping off a building would be doing in the analogy I suggested.

Let's start from the bottom.

Do sinners choose to sin because they are consciously choosing the Lake of Fire? Do they stand there holding the skin mag thinking, "I think I'd like to so damage myself that God's glory will be a consuming fire to me"? Unless your experience is drastically different from mine, we both know that is not how it works. We are tempted to sin because sin is presented as something pleasing, not something that will result in misery, agony, and eternal death. So while some sinners are represented by someone knowingly jumping off the building, most are better represented by the kid playing on the tracks, and growing to love playing on the tracks so much that they will eventually prefer to stay there even if the train is coming.

So when God finally sighs, "Well, if that's how you want it...." and lets the train run over the sinner, even though He is fully able to make the train go on another track as He has done for so long and for so many, do you believe that God has some responsibility for how things turn out? Consider also that He made the train, the tracks, the switch, and the sinner.

And in your analogy, God made the building, the ground, gravity, the electromagnetic force, and the jumper.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101804
08/22/08 11:43 PM
08/22/08 11:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
During our life here, yes, people are not aware of the consequences of what they are doing, but in the judgment they are. GC 543 tells us that the choice of the wicked is voluntary to themselves. DA 764 tells us that the destruction of the wicked is *not* due to a discretionary choice on the part of God, but due to the choice of the wicked.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101814
08/23/08 03:43 AM
08/23/08 03:43 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
During our life here, yes, people are not aware of the consequences of what they are doing, but in the judgment they are.

But when is the irrevocable decision made that dooms the lost to destruction? It is made "during our life here." In the judgment, when things are crystal clear to all, there is no opportunity to make a new decision. So the choice to be lost is often made before one clearly sees how it will play out; all he has to go by is "the wages of sin is death," without necessarily knowing all the reasons why.

That's why the "kid on the tracks" analogy is much more accurate in general than the "jumping off a building" analogy. Few people choose sin knowing fully and clearly that it will end badly. Most people choose sin thinking that it will be more fun than the alternative, while ignoring wise counsel.

For a long time, God switches the train to the other tracks to keep the sinner alive, and to continue giving wise counsel. Someday, God will let the train run over the sinner. It will be fully the sinner's fault, but I can't say that God had nothing to do with it.

GC 543 tells us that the choice of the wicked is voluntary to themselves. DA 764 tells us that the destruction of the wicked is *not* due to a discretionary choice on the part of God, but due to the choice of the wicked.

Yes, the sinner is fully responsible for being on the tracks. God did not put him there. In fact, God kept telling him to get off the tracks. God even went so far as to send His Son to die on the tracks, so we could see clearly how nasty things can get for people on the tracks. But the sinner loves playing on the tracks so much that even when he sees clearly the train is coming, he'll prefer to stay on the tracks.

So, yes, it is the sinner's choice that determines the outcome.

However, God, not the sinner, made the train and the tracks. God made things run the way they do. Could He have made them a different way? Yes. Could He have set things up so that the sinner does not die? Yes.

Here's how Graham Maxwell put it (with my emphasis):
 Quote:
Interviewer:Is there any way in which God could have made it so that everybody could have had free choice, free to go their own way, and free to disobey him and go on living?

Maxwell:Yes.

Interviewer:What would have happened?

Maxwell:The Universe would have eventually become a vast penitentiary, with everybody in solitary confinement so as not to bother anybody else, and God and the angels would have become prison wardens. So I see God appealing to Universe: “Look, I could keep you alive forever. I kept the Devil alive all these years: I could, I could. But I refuse to be a prison warden, and I refuse to ask all you to become prison guards.”

And we say, that’s all right. We agree that the only alternative is to let these people reap the consequences—and you know what’s going to happen. You say, how do we know? Go to Gethsemane, go to the cross: that’s what’s going to happen. They will die.

He could have, but He refused to. That is discretionary choice on the part of God.

Sinners die because they choose to be sinners. They could have chosen to obey and live, but they refused. That's their decision.

There are only two option: 1) obey and live, 2) disobey and die. There is no option to disobey and live. Or in Maxwell's illustration, there is no possibility of everlasting life imprisonment. That was a decision God made long ago.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Page 25 of 36 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!