HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101873
08/24/08 10:58 PM
08/24/08 10:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
When the New Jerusalem is planted on earth, can the wicked exercise his free will in a more significant way than choosing the "one possible thing that can happen"? Is he really "choosing" his destiny at this point, or has he already made his choice long before this time?

From GC 542, 543:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb?

No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late.

A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God.

This looks to me to be a description of reality, as opposed to something imposed upon the wicked. I believe none in the second resurrection will be saved because, and only because, they don't want to be. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves. If they wanted heaven, they could have it. But they don't want it, so God allows them to exercize their free will, just like always.

Quote:
And as far as each sinner making his final choice, do you agree with me that some of them make the choice to die, not necessarily knowing clearly how it is going to play out and that their death is fundamentally caused by the lack of a connection with the Life?

I'm sure that those who choose to be lost are not fully aware of the implications of this decision, if that's what you're asking. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned, and by choosing not to be spiritural, they are of necessity making choices that they cannot possibly understand fully.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101874
08/24/08 11:18 PM
08/24/08 11:18 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death.

Then you do not agree with me or Maxwell. We say God could have, but refused to. You say God could not. That is a significant disagreement. Good thing I brought it up again, so we can clarify that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101875
08/24/08 11:25 PM
08/24/08 11:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If they wanted heaven, they could have it.

That's another point of disagreement. You believe that sinners have the option of going to heaven if they want; I don't. For me, the soul that sins shall die; no other option.

It seems the differences in our views can be summed up this way: You believe God was constrained to do what He did, and sinners have the option to choose whatever they want. I believe God can choose whatever He wants, and sinners are constrained to live in God's world.

Does that sound about right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101884
08/25/08 12:38 AM
08/25/08 12:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(Tom)I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death.

(Arnold)Then you do not agree with me or Maxwell. We say God could have, but refused to.

Really? You are sure Maxwell believes God could have linked sin to life, or righteousness to death if he wanted to?

This is most not the impression I have of Maxwell's theology. Indeed, Maxwell has been a significant influence to my theology. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion here?

Of course, Maxwell has recorded much more on tapes than in books, but I recall his tapes emphasizing that God wants us to do that which is right not because God tells us to, but because we have a convinction ourselves that it is right. Now if right is right only because God says so, I fail to see any logic to Maxwell's assertion.

It seems to me that Maxwell argues over and over again against the arbitrary scenario you are suggesting.

Here is something from "Servants and Friends"

Quote:
If you should find it necessary to keep some potent poison at your house, where would you put it? Where the children could readily find it? Or on the highest shelf in the garage?

“You absolutely must not touch that poison,” you warn the children. “Don’t even go near that shelf. If you disobey me, you’ll be severely punished.”

Some time later you hear an ominous crash. You rush out to the garage, and there on the floor is your son, the broken bottle beside him.

What would you do to your dying child? He has disobeyed you. Would it occur to you even for a moment that he should be put to death for his sin? He’s dying already.

You know that the poison works quickly. You don’t have much time. Would you waste precious moments scolding him for his disobedience? Would you insist that he repent and tell you he’s sorry. Would forgiveness keep him from dying?

You run to fetch the antidote. But your son refuses to take it, and you sadly watch him die.

What caused his death? You loved him. You forgave him. You offered him the antidote. But he still died.

Friends don’t see sin as a legal problem. They see it as working like poison. And they understand the plan of salvation as God’s offer of the antidote.

But what if we refuse the antidote? What happens to those who turn down the offer of salvation?

He compares sin to poison. This is what I've been saying.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101887
08/25/08 01:21 AM
08/25/08 01:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(T)If they wanted heaven, they could have it.

(A)That's another point of disagreement. You believe that sinners have the option of going to heaven if they want; I don't.

I had a whole thing typed out and ready to send, and then poof! gone! I don't know how, or where it went. So, take two.

First of all, I said nothing at all about options. The existence of an option is a different concept.

What I said was if the wicked wanted heaven, they could have it. How is this different than saying that the exclusion of the wicked from heaven is voluntary with themselves? The point is simply that God does not force the wicked from heaven against their will. He simply gives them what they choose. God at no point violates their freedom of choice.

Quote:
For me, the soul that sins shall die; no other option.

Again, I said nothing about options. Regarding that the soul that sins shall die, this is just another way of saying that death is the inevitable result of sin, which I've been saying all along. So your adding "for me" is superfluous.

Quote:
It seems the differences in our views can be summed up this way: You believe God was constrained to do what He did, and sinners have the option to choose whatever they want.

Regarding God's being constrained, I said He is constrained by His character. Do you disagree with this?

Regarding sinners, I said nothing about their having an option.

Quote:
I believe God can choose whatever He wants

I affirmed this several times, right?

Quote:
and sinners are constrained to live in God's world.

It doesn't seem to me that this world can in any fair sense be called "God's world." Jesus taught us to pray "Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven." If God's will were done here, it could be fairly called His world.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101888
08/25/08 04:24 AM
08/25/08 04:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
(Tom)I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death.

(Arnold)Then you do not agree with me or Maxwell. We say God could have, but refused to.

Really? You are sure Maxwell believes God could have linked sin to life, or righteousness to death if he wanted to?

This is, again, the Maxwell interview that you supplied (emphasis mine):
 Quote:
Interviewer:Is there any way in which God could have made it so that everybody could have had free choice, free to go their own way, and free to disobey him and go on living?

Maxwell:Yes.

Interviewer:What would have happened?

Maxwell:The Universe would have eventually become a vast penitentiary, with everybody in solitary confinement so as not to bother anybody else, and God and the angels would have become prison wardens. So I see God appealing to Universe: “Look, I could keep you alive forever. I kept the Devil alive all these years: I could, I could. But I refuse to be a prison warden, and I refuse to ask all you to become prison guards.”

And we say, that’s all right. We agree that the only alternative is to let these people reap the consequences—and you know what’s going to happen. You say, how do we know? Go to Gethsemane, go to the cross: that’s what’s going to happen. They will die.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101889
08/25/08 04:46 AM
08/25/08 04:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The interview said nothing about linking sin to life or righteousness to death. Also, you didn't address my points, namely this one:

Quote:
Of course, Maxwell has recorded much more on tapes than in books, but I recall his tapes emphasizing that God wants us to do that which is right not because God tells us to, but because we have a convinction ourselves that it is right. Now if right is right only because God says so, I fail to see any logic to Maxwell's assertion.

nor the quote I provided from "Servants or Friends" where Maxwell equates sin with poison.

Regarding prisons, I said that God could have allowed the wicked to continue to live in the same sense that He could sin or lie. You said you agreed with this. I would say this is equivalent to saying that He does not do so because He is so constrained by His character. Why do you disagree with this?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101890
08/25/08 06:26 AM
08/25/08 06:26 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The interview said nothing about linking sin to life or righteousness to death.

Read the quote again:
 Quote:
Interviewer:Is there any way in which God could have made it so that everybody could have had free choice, free to go their own way, and free to disobey him and go on living?

Maxwell:Yes.

What more do you want? The guy asks, "Is there any way in which God could have made it so that everybody could ... disobey him and go on living?"

disobey = sin
go on living = life

Maxwell's answer is Yes. My answer is Yes. What is your answer to the question?

Also, you didn't address my points, namely this one:

Quote:

nor the quote I provided from "Servants or Friends" where Maxwell equates sin with poison.

I ignored them for now, until I have time to explain my view on that.

Regarding prisons, I said that God could have allowed the wicked to continue to live in the same sense that He could sin or lie. You said you agreed with this. I would say this is equivalent to saying that He does not do so because He is so constrained by His character. Why do you disagree with this?

I agree with what you said there. I believe God was constrained by Himself - His character - to do what He did.

Our disagreement lies in that you don't see that as God choosing. OTC, I see that as God exercising His will - a choice.

Consider this. Why do sinners prefer death over life? Why can't they just decide to live with God, instead of burning? It is because God is the anti-thesis of their characters. Their characters constrain them to choose death rather than life with God. Do you agree?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101891
08/25/08 12:48 PM
08/25/08 12:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.Regarding Maxwell and prison, it seems to me you've broken a cardinal law of Maxwell. Maxwell speaks of asking two questions when reading someone.
a.What did the person actually say?
b.What did the person mean when they said what they said?

Regarding the prisons, Maxwell's point was that God had the physical ability to keep people alive indefinitely. However, this is not something God would actually do, because of His character.

Maxwell is not saying that God could have set things up so that sin leads to life, and righteousenss to death. You're completely misreading his intent if this is the conclusion you come to. For one thing, there's more to eternal life (the context of righteous => life is eternal life) than simply continuing to physically exist and for another, there were two parts to the equation, the second being that righteousness leads to death. So you have to establish that Maxwell believed that too if you want to assert that he taught that God could have set things up so that sin=> life and righteousness => death.

I've equated God's choice here, in regards to prison, with His choice not to sin or lie. I've pointed out that Scripture says "God cannot lie." In the same sense one could say "God cannot set up prisons for the wicked." I'm sure Maxwell would agree with this. Why not? It's in perfect harmony with the intent of his comment.

In the same way God chooses not to lie and refuses to lie, He chooses not to set up prisons and refuses to do so. As God "cannot lie," He cannot set up prisons.

2.Since we agree that God is constrained by His character, we need to throw out your previous statement:

Quote:
You believe God was constrained to do what He did, and sinners have the option to choose whatever they want. I believe God can choose whatever He wants, and sinners are constrained to live in God's world.

I've never said that God cannot choose to do what He wants, and you agree with me regarding God's being constrained about His character, so once again I ask, what are you disagreeing with?

3.We've both agreed that God has freedom of choice and makes choices. I don't know why you keep insinuating that I don't see God as choosing. You have agreed that God is constrained by His character. Where am I saying something different than what you believe?

Quote:
Consider this. Why do sinners prefer death over life?

The quotes I cited in GC 543 and DA 764, also DA 107,108 speak directly to this.

Quote:
Why can't they just decide to live with God, instead of burning? It is because God is the anti-thesis of their characters. Their characters constrain them to choose death rather than life with God. Do you agree?

Yes. God is constrained by His character, and the wicked are constrained by theirs.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101899
08/25/08 05:24 PM
08/25/08 05:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Why can't they just decide to live with God, instead of burning? It is because God is the anti-thesis of their characters. Their characters constrain them to choose death rather than life with God. Do you agree?

Yes. God is constrained by His character, and the wicked are constrained by theirs.

Good we agree there. I think this should clear things up quite a bit.
  • At some point, the wicked have the opportunity to choose to have life or death.
  • But they are constrained by their characters to choose the option of death.
  • This can be described as making a voluntary discretionary choice to die.
I assume you agree with that logic, since that's what I think you've been saying all this time.

Now, here's what I've been saying all this time:
  • At some point, God has the opportunity to choose to link sin with life or death.
  • But He is constrained by His character to choose the option of death.
  • This can be described as making a voluntary discretionary choice to link sin with death.
Since the two arguments use the same logic, they are equally valid or invalid.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 27 of 36 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!