HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101819
08/23/08 03:55 PM
08/23/08 03:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But when is the irrevocable decision made that dooms the lost to destruction? It is made "during our life here." In the judgment, when things are crystal clear to all, there is no opportunity to make a new decision.

The problem is not with a lack of opportunity, but a lack of willingness. It's not like the wicked like heaven and wish they could live there, but God doesn't allow them to. They hate heaven, and *voluntarily* choose to be excluded from it.

The whole point in making clear that the choice is voluntary is to make clear that being excluded from heaven is *their* decision.

Quote:
So the choice to be lost is often made before one clearly sees how it will play out; all he has to go by is "the wages of sin is death," without necessarily knowing all the reasons why.

The choice to be excluded from heaven is voluntary *after* being resurrected, not before.

Quote:
That's why the "kid on the tracks" analogy is much more accurate in general than the "jumping off a building" analogy. Few people choose sin knowing fully and clearly that it will end badly. Most people choose sin thinking that it will be more fun than the alternative, while ignoring wise counsel.

It seems to me that this isn't a good analogy and it should be easy to see why. It portrays God in a negative light.

It's not that the wicked want to go to heaven, but God, as a big ogre, doesn't let them, even though things we be good if He did, and God goes, "Sorry. You had your chance. Now it's too late." and this is the reason they are eternally lost.

Quote:
For a long time, God switches the train to the other tracks to keep the sinner alive, and to continue giving wise counsel. Someday, God will let the train run over the sinner. It will be fully the sinner's fault, but I can't say that God had nothing to do with it.

The problem with the analogy is not what you're saying here, which I can agree with, but with what you said earlier about a kid playing on the tracks. A kid playing on tracks has no accountability. God does not allow the train to run over the wicked due to actions which are analagous to the choice the kid is making; i.e. choices which have no accountability.

People do things they know are wrong. This is what causes them to be lost. They may not know the full implications of their actions (indeed, none of us do) but if they did not willingly do that which they knew was wrong, with the Holy Spirit pleading, crying, shouting (Prov. 1:20) at them not to, they wouldn't be lost.

As the DA passage points out (DA 764), the death of the wicked is not due to the individual discretion of God (this is using your definition of "arbitrary" which you gave to this passage!) but due instead to the decision of the wicked.

I agree with what A. Graham Maxwell said. God could physically have people live in prisons, just like God is physically able to sin. But God will not do this because of His character. I've already made this point clear. I'm not disagreeing that God has the physical capability to do things contrary to His character. I don't understand why you are still bringing this point up. I've already agreed to it.

Quote:
Or in Maxwell's illustration, there is no possibility of everlasting life imprisonment. That was a decision God made long ago.

There was no more need for God to make this "decision" than for Him to "decide" not to rape, murder or steal.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101825
08/23/08 06:01 PM
08/23/08 06:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
For a long time, God switches the train to the other tracks to keep the sinner alive

I think Jesus jumped in front of the train, and by so doing He slowed down the train, but one day the train will reach the point where the children are playing.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101830
08/24/08 12:26 AM
08/24/08 12:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I think Jesus jumped in front of the train, and by so doing He slowed down the train, but one day the train will reach the point where the children are playing.

This suggests to me that Jesus did not fully defeat sin. However, where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. Jesus fully defeated the train.

Admitedly, any analogy will suffer if examined too closely, so let's consider the points involved. I believe:

a.Christ provides a way whereby a person can be fully healed, or saved, from sin.
b.Christ did this at inestimable cost to himself.
1)He came at the risk of failure and eternal loss.
2)He suffered the effects of sin, not being able to see through the portals of the tomb.
c.The problem is sin itself, not what God does to those who sin.
d.If a person chooses sin over redemption, then he will so ruin his own character than he will not be able to, nor desire to, be in the presence of God, nor those who love God and his principles. Thus he destroys himself.

Quote:
God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest. (COL 84)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101834
08/24/08 01:23 AM
08/24/08 01:23 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
This suggests to me that Jesus did not fully defeat sin. However, where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. Jesus fully defeated the train.

What does the train represent in Arnold's analogy? Sin? To me it represents another thing, but Arnold is the author of the analogy, so only he can say what the train represents.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101840
08/24/08 03:16 AM
08/24/08 03:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This reminds me of something from the other thread on Col.

Quote:
God destroys no man. Everyone who is destroyed will have destroyed himself. Everyone who stifles the admonitions of conscience is sowing the seeds of unbelief, and these will produce a sure harvest. (COL 84)

I was curious as to what Luther thought in regards to Gal. 5:1, and his comment is that it had to do with the conscience. That is, Christ frees us from the yoke of bondage by setting our consciences free. (I was reminded of this because this SOP quote speaks of stifling the admonitions of the conscience).

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101845
08/24/08 01:25 PM
08/24/08 01:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
I agree with what A. Graham Maxwell said. God could physically have people live in prisons, just like God is physically able to sin. But God will not do this because of His character. I've already made this point clear. I'm not disagreeing that God has the physical capability to do things contrary to His character. I don't understand why you are still bringing this point up. I've already agreed to it.

I bring it up because you're still not clearly acknowledging the God made a choice.

God could have done something, but He refused to do it, according to Maxwell. Will you acknowledge that that describes a choice made by God?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101862
08/24/08 05:46 PM
08/24/08 05:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I bring it up because you're still not clearly acknowledging the God made a choice.

God could have done something, but He refused to do it, according to Maxwell. Will you acknowledge that that describes a choice made by God?

I said a long time ago that this would have been contrary to God's character. I understood that you agreed with this. I said that God could have made this choice in the same sense that that He could have chosen to sin or lie.

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with. When God does not lie, is He making a choice? Yes, He is. He is clearly physically able to say things which aren't true, just like anyone else. It is His character which determines that He will not make this choice. He could lie, but He refuses to.

I acknowledge that this describes a choice made by God.

What is it you are disagreeing with? Just semantics? Or something more substantial? If so, what?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101863
08/24/08 06:52 PM
08/24/08 06:52 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

I said a long time ago that this would have been contrary to God's character. I understood that you agreed with this. I said that God could have made this choice in the same sense that that He could have chosen to sin or lie.

You are right. I do agree with that.

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with. When God does not lie, is He making a choice? Yes, He is. He is clearly physically able to say things which aren't true, just like anyone else. It is His character which determines that He will not make this choice. He could lie, but He refuses to.

I acknowledge that this describes a choice made by God.

What is it you are disagreeing with? Just semantics? Or something more substantial? If so, what?

Now that we are on the same page, agreeing that God made a choice to link life with holiness and death win sin, refusing to allow the possibility of living forever with sin, that clears away the biggest disagreement. Now that we agree that God chose to set things up that way, rather than Him finding Himself constrained to set it up that way, there's just a small item left to hammer out.

To summarize my view: God chose to link life with holiness and death with sin. We choose if we want sin or holiness. The destiny of each individual is determined by the combination of divine and human choices.

Do you agree with how I see choices determining the destiny of each individual?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101864
08/24/08 07:13 PM
08/24/08 07:13 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Perhaps there's another thing to hammer out...

Quote:
But when is the irrevocable decision made that dooms the lost to destruction? It is made "during our life here." In the judgment, when things are crystal clear to all, there is no opportunity to make a new decision.

The problem is not with a lack of opportunity, but a lack of willingness. It's not like the wicked like heaven and wish they could live there, but God doesn't allow them to. They hate heaven, and *voluntarily* choose to be excluded from it.

The whole point in making clear that the choice is voluntary is to make clear that being excluded from heaven is *their* decision.

Is there another possibility available to the wicked than to die eternally? I agree that they don't want to be in heaven, but is the option of living there available to them?

You said in post# 101753 in Can the Law save us?:
 Quote:
If there is only one possible thing that can happen, then free will consists of choosing that one thing.

When the New Jerusalem is planted on earth, can the wicked exercise his free will in a more significant way than choosing the "one possible thing that can happen"? Is he really "choosing" his destiny at this point, or has he already made his choice long before this time?

And as far as each sinner making his final choice, do you agree with me that some of them make the choice to die, not necessarily knowing clearly how it is going to play out and that their death is fundamentally caused by the lack of a connection with the Life?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101872
08/24/08 10:50 PM
08/24/08 10:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Now that we are on the same page, agreeing that God made a choice to link life with holiness and death win sin, refusing to allow the possibility of living forever with sin, that clears away the biggest disagreement. Now that we agree that God chose to set things up that way, rather than Him finding Himself constrained to set it up that way, there's just a small item left to hammer out.

I guess we can consider this some more, because I would say that God *was* constrained to do things the way He did. He was constrained by His character.

I would not say that He chose to set things up the way He did because that makes it sound like He could have done things in some other way, and the way He did it was arbitrary.

One could say that God chooses not to lie or sin, which is certainly true, since God has free will, but one could also say, as Scripture does, that "God cannot lie." In the same sense that "God cannot lie," we can say "God can not set up prisons in which the wicked will spend all etenity."

Quote:
To summarize my view: God chose to link life with holiness and death with sin. We choose if we want sin or holiness. The destiny of each individual is determined by the combination of divine and human choices.

Do you agree with how I see choices determining the destiny of each individual?

No, I don't. I don't believe that life is linked with righteousness because God chose for things to be that way. Nor do I believe that sin is linked to death because He chose for things to be that way. I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death.

I believe "the inevitable result of sin is death," is a statement in regards to the nature of sin and death, as opposed to a statement in regards to what God chose to do.

Again, I would draw your attention to DA 764, which discusses this. You pointed out that "arbitrary" in this passage means "individual discretion," with which I agree. She says the destruction of the wicked is not due to an act of power depending upon God's individual discretion, but is due to their decisions. To do what? To separate themselves from God, who alone is the source of life.

So if God is choosing to set things up in a certain way, He is choosing to set things up so that life is in Him, and apart from Him there is only death. But is this really something that God "set up"? Or is it simply a description of reality? In God is life, because God is life. Apart from God, there is no life. Not because God does something to make this so, but because that's the way things are.

It seems to me there may be two points we are disagreeing on here:

1.Does righteousness result in life, and sin result in death, because God set things up this way? Or are these consequences due to something inate about rightoueness and sin?

2.Is it possible that God could have set things up in some other way, where righteousness would result in death, and sin result in life?

Actually 2 seems to follow from 1, so maybe there's just one point of disagreement, or clarification, which has to do with whether sin results in death because of the nature of what sin is, or because of something God does or decided.

Page 26 of 36 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!