HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 36 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101919
08/25/08 09:17 PM
08/25/08 09:17 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Sin leads to death because of the way God made the constitution of His creatures to react to an exposure to His glory when they are in sin.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101920
08/25/08 09:22 PM
08/25/08 09:22 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
Perhaps our difference is about cause and effect.

I believe that things are the way they are BECAUSE God made them that way. If God wanted things to work differently, He could have made it that way.

I don't think sin leads to death because that's the way God made sin.

Neither do I.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101921
08/25/08 09:26 PM
08/25/08 09:26 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Sin leads to death because of the way God made the constitution of His creatures to react to an exposure to His glory when they are in sin.

That is much closer to what I believe.

Another way to look at it is that sin is, by definition, what God is not. Hence, the sinner doesn't want to have anything to do with life. And when you have no connection to the Life, all you have left is death.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101923
08/25/08 09:48 PM
08/25/08 09:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
An exposure of His glory sounds like chemical radiation or something like that. The glory of God is simply His character. To say that He constituted us to react to an exposure of His glory simply means that He created us with the ability to love Him and be loved by Him, as well as loving and being loved by our fellows.

He could have chosen not to make creatures to love and be loved, with the ability to appreciate His attributes of character and to know Him (like plants and animals, for example), but once He chose to make sentient beings, the rest follows from that.

The whole point I'm getting at is what I see expressed in DA 764. Death is "the inevitable result of sin" as opposed to something God does to people who act contrary to His will.

I've replenished my Ty Gibson supply. I'll present some quotes from him, and see what you think.

It seems from your comments that you agree with Maxwell's outlook on things. In this generally correct?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101924
08/25/08 09:51 PM
08/25/08 09:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The sinner doesn't want to have anything to do with life. And when you have no connection to the Life, all you have left is death.

I agree with this. In fact, this sounds like what I've been saying. Now if we agree that life can be found only in God, how can this (the fact that sin brings death) be something which God arbitrarily set up? Wouldn't the only alternative to what you have postulated here be if life were somehow available apart from God?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101925
08/25/08 10:19 PM
08/25/08 10:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
An exposure of His glory sounds like chemical radiation or something like that. The glory of God is simply His character.

When Jesus was on earth He manifested God's character without people dying because of that. What do you think that happened?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rosangela] #101926
08/25/08 10:21 PM
08/25/08 10:21 PM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
An exposure of His glory sounds like chemical radiation or something like that. The glory of God is simply His character.

When Jesus was on earth He manifested God's character without people dying because of that. What do you think that happened?

I would say that Christ divine nature was veiled when He came to talk to Adam and Eve, Abraham, and Enoch. But does anyone have any verses that gives us a hint or SOP...?

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Rick H] #101929
08/26/08 12:40 AM
08/26/08 12:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence.
(DA 108)

They left His presence.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101930
08/26/08 12:59 AM
08/26/08 12:59 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
To say that He constituted us to react to an exposure of His glory simply means that He created us with the ability to love Him and be loved by Him, as well as loving and being loved by our fellows.

I would say that God created us with the NEED to love others and be loved in return. A deficiency in that is fatal.

The whole point I'm getting at is what I see expressed in DA 764. Death is "the inevitable result of sin" as opposed to something God does to people who act contrary to His will.

Death is the inevitable result of sin because that's how God made us and our environment. He didn't just find it that way; He made it that way.

And after God had set up the rule that you reap what you sow, then the onus is on each individual to sow appropriately. If he sows corruption, he will reap death.

But this setup was not arbitrary (different use of the word than in DA 764). He didn't just randomly select one of the possibilities and go with it. If one knew God well, he would have also known that this is the way God would make things, because anything else would have been "out of character" for God.

Part of God's character is its destructive effects to sin and sinners. His goodness is a consuming fire to sin's badness. And anyone who contaminates himself with sin alienates himself from God, and dies. The sinner inevitably dies because God's presence will consume him or God's absence will leave him lifeless.

Is that because that's how God found the universe? No. It is how God is, and therefore he set up the universe to work that way.

But can God suspend the way He set things up? Yes. From DA 764, we see that, "God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles." God made the universe such that sin ends in death, but He can hold that off when He chooses.

And when the time comes, He will stop postponing the reaping time. Note this quote regarding that:
 Quote:
"The wages of sin is death." This is the awful and inevitable sentence pronounced upon the transgressor. {ST, January 6, 1888 par. 18}

When God stops shielding the sinner from the consequences of his sin, it is sometimes described as pronouncing sentence. And God is the Judge who has the authority to pronounce such sentences. In the end, or the beginning, depending on how you look at it, God was the one who made things the way they are.

It seems from your comments that you agree with Maxwell's outlook on things. In this generally correct?

I have read/heard very little from Maxwell himself. Most of what I have read/heard is not disagreeable to me. But I have reservations, because almost every one I've met who describes himself as "Maxwellian" has very disagreeable aspects to their theology.

In particular, every Maxwellian I can think of rejects the penal paradigm of the atonement. I can see truth in the "Jesus died so He can show us His love" paradigm, but I see it as a complement to the penal paradigm, not a replacement.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101931
08/26/08 02:00 AM
08/26/08 02:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Death is the inevitable result of sin because that's how God made us and our environment. He didn't just find it that way; He made it that way.

He couldn't have "found it," since nothing existed. The question is if He could have made it some other way. I don't believe He could, taking as a starting point that He desired to create sentient beings capable of loving Him and its fellows, and being loved by the same.

I agree that a different choice for making creatures would have been out of character for God, but believe the issue is more profound than that. It's not simply that God could have chosen to create said sentient beings differently, but didn't, because it would have been contrary to His character to do so, but there was no alternate way of creating sentient beings than the way He did, given that they should be capable of loving and being loved.

I would not make the statement that God made the universe such that sin ends in death (obviously this has to be true in some sense; God made the universe, and sin ends in death) because it gives what I believe is a false impression, which is that it could have been possible for sin not to result in death.

I don't know how familiar you are with Waggoner's thoughts on this, but I agree with them. Here's a small snippet from "The Glad Tidings"

Quote:
No one can read Gal.3:10 carefully and thoughtfully without seeing that the curse is transgression of the law. Disobedience to God's law is itself the curse; for "by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin." Rom.5:12. Sin has death wrapped up in it. Without sin death would be impossible, for "the sting of death is sin."

Notice he says, "Disobedience to God's law is itself the curse." I agree with this. It's not that God curses those who sin, as if some other result were possible, like a blessing, but the disobedience (or sin) is itself the curse. Similarly "sin has death wrapped up in it." I believe this is a much better way of expressing things than simply stating that there is a link between sin and death.

I agree with your idea that God's pronouncing sentence upon the sinner is equivalent to His ceasing to shield them from the effects of sin.

Regarding Maxwell, the thing I quoted regarding poison is a good sample. That's how I see things.

Regarding the revelation being a compliment of the penal paradigm, the more I think about this the more it seems there is a conflict of interests here, so to speak. The underlying issue has to do with what is the fundamental problem that needs to be solved. I suppose one could argue that there were two independent problems which both happened to conincidentally have the same solution.

Here are a couple of difficulties I see with the penal paradigm. One is that those who hold it often get "hung up" by it so they speak of little else when discussing the atonement. A wonderful exception to this rule which jumps to mind is Robert J. Wieland, who one would have to describe as being in the penal camp (although in a more subtle way, because of his belief in corporate justification) but whose emphasis is overwhelmingly on the love of God manifested especially at the cross. Anyway I see these discussion over and over again dealing with legal technicalities on the part of those who defend the penal view with little or no emphasis on the love of God. Lip service is paid to this truth, for how could anyone deny it?, but there is not real emphasis made in its regard.

A second problem is that it presents God in a negative light. I believe EGW brings this point out eloquently here:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 686)

A third difficulty I see with the view is that it seems not to have been taught until Calvin started teaching it. Crossen's book "In Search of Paul" documents that this idea did not exist in the time of Paul. It's very clear that Jesus didn't teach it. I've repeated asked where Jesus taught it, and only this text has been presented:

Quote:
42Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
(Mark 10)

However even a cursory look at this text makes it clear that Jesus is speaking of service, and not of making it legally possible for God to forgive us.

I may have digressed here. Sorry about that, but I thought it might be worthwhile making these points here.

Getting back to Maxwell, what are things which come to your mind regarding that with which you say you don't disagree?

Page 29 of 36 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!