HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 36 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 35 36
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101900
08/25/08 05:40 PM
08/25/08 05:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
1.Regarding Maxwell and prison, it seems to me you've broken a cardinal law of Maxwell. Maxwell speaks of asking two questions when reading someone.
a.What did the person actually say?
b.What did the person mean when they said what they said?

Regarding the prisons, Maxwell's point was that God had the physical ability to keep people alive indefinitely. However, this is not something God would actually do, because of His character.

Where did I break his cardinal law, since that's exactly what I thought he meant?

Can I cook and eat my son? Yes and no. I can cut him up, put him in the oven, and put pieces of him in my mouth, but my character constrains me from doing that.

Is that a discretionary choice? Absolutely! We know of others who have made the other choice.

there were two parts to the equation, the second being that righteousness leads to death. So you have to establish that Maxwell believed that too if you want to assert that he taught that God could have set things up so that sin=> life and righteousness => death.

You're adding new rules to our game. I'm not here to win any argument, but to find truth.

What God chose to do with righteousness/life is beside the point. What is before us is if He could have linked sin and life. Period.

It seems the three of us say Yes. So there's no reason to muddy the waters that are muddy enough.

In the same way God chooses not to lie and refuses to lie, He chooses not to set up prisons and refuses to do so. As God "cannot lie," He cannot set up prisons.

In the same way I cannot eat my son. I'm able to, but I refuse. I will choose to die rather than do that.

2.Since we agree that God is constrained by His character, we need to throw out your previous statement:

Quote:
You believe God was constrained to do what He did, and sinners have the option to choose whatever they want. I believe God can choose whatever He wants, and sinners are constrained to live in God's world.

I've never said that God cannot choose to do what He wants, and you agree with me regarding God's being constrained about His character, so once again I ask, what are you disagreeing with?

The big disagreement is over whether or not "sinners have the option to choose whatever they want" at the end of the Millennium. You say they can choose life or death at that point, but voluntarily choose death. I say they have no options, and therefore no choice in the matter. Choice requires more than one option.

3.We've both agreed that God has freedom of choice and makes choices. I don't know why you keep insinuating that I don't see God as choosing. You have agreed that God is constrained by His character. Where am I saying something different than what you believe?

I say that being constrained by one's character constitutes a choice. Do you agree with that? (See the argument in my previous post - #101899.)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101904
08/25/08 06:25 PM
08/25/08 06:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Where did I break his cardinal law, since that's exactly what I thought he meant?

There's no way he meant to say that God could have set things up so that sin would lead to life and righteousness would lead to death. That is certainly putting words into his mouth.

Quote:
T:there were two parts to the equation, the second being that righteousness leads to death. So you have to establish that Maxwell believed that too if you want to assert that he taught that God could have set things up so that sin=> life and righteousness => death.

A:You're adding new rules to our game. I'm not here to win any argument, but to find truth.

Pardon? I said, "I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death." to which you replied, "Then you do not agree with me or Maxwell. We say God could have, but refused to."

You are the one who made this claim. To what purpose? How is this helping to "find truth"?

I don't believe your claim here is true. I don't believe Maxwell was intending to say that God could have righteousness linked to death.

Quote:
What God chose to do with righteousness/life is beside the point. What is before us is if He could have linked sin and life. Period.

No, not "period." I said, "I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death." If you're going to respond to this with the claim, "Then you don't agree with me or Maxwell," you need to consider what I actually said!

Quote:
It seems the three of us say Yes. So there's no reason to muddy the waters that are muddy enough.

How is this helping to find truth, Arthur? First of all, you're not dealing with what I actually said. Secondly, in what possible way is a statement like this useful for "finding truth"?

Quote:
In the same way I cannot eat my son. I'm able to, but I refuse. I will choose to die rather than do that.

You are agreeing with my point.

Quote:
The big disagreement is over whether or not "sinners have the option to choose whatever they want" at the end of the Millennium.

No!! This is not the big disagreement. I have said nothing about sinners having the option to choose what they want. Your quote marks are surrounding something *you* said, not me. Why did you do this? That's very misleading.

Quote:
You say they can choose life or death at that point, but voluntarily choose death.

I didn't say this, Arnold. Please re-read what I wrote.

Quote:
I say they have no options, and therefore no choice in the matter. Choice requires more than one option.

Again, I said nothing about options. Regarding choice, I said their exclusion from heaven is voluntary. Do you agree with this? "Voluntary" means they are making a choice, doesn't it?

Quote:
I say that being constrained by one's character constitutes a choice. Do you agree with that?

This is just semantics. I see no meaningful difference in our positions here.

What you are saying is basically the following. God could choose to kill us, put us in a soup, and eat us, but His character does not allow Him to do this. Therefore He is making a discretionary choice not to do this.

Ok, this is true, but isn't this a rather odd way to think about it? How is this conveying any useful information?

The point I've been making is that the fate of the wicked is decided by themselves, their own choices, as opposed to an act based on the individual discretion of God. Isn't this what DA 764 says? You were the one who suggested "individual discretion" as the meaning for "arbitrary" used there. I simply agreed with your definition.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101905
08/25/08 06:30 PM
08/25/08 06:30 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I don't believe Maxwell was intending to say that God could have righteousness linked to death.

Then forget it. It's a red herring that's only causing confusion.

Interviewer asked Maxwell if God could have set it up so that sinners can go on living. Maxwell said God could have, but refused to. I agree. Don't you agree with that?

If you do, then the basic premise is settled.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101906
08/25/08 06:40 PM
08/25/08 06:40 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

No, not "period." I said, "I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death." If you're going to respond to this with the claim, "Then you don't agree with me or Maxwell," you need to consider what I actually said!

Here's what you actually said: "I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death."

Do you mean that "God could not have chosen for sin to be linked with life and God could not have chosen for righteousness to be linked with death"? That's what I think you meant. Am I right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101907
08/25/08 06:49 PM
08/25/08 06:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #101889,

God is life and life abides in Him. One cannot be separated from God and have life. When one choose to separate from God, one chooses to die:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. (DA 764)

This is not a choice God makes, but a choice the wicked make.

Here's something which I've found helpful in regards to what we've been discussing:

There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself. No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life. There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry. Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live; and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf. The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world. The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds. The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give. The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud.

The angels of glory find their joy in giving,--giving love and tireless watchcare to souls that are fallen and unholy. Heavenly beings woo the hearts of men; they bring to this dark world light from the courts above; by gentle and patient ministry they move upon the human spirit, to bring the lost into a fellowship with Christ which is even closer than they themselves can know.

But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. "I do nothing of Myself," said Christ; "the living Father hath sent Me, and I live by the Father." "I seek not Mine own glory," but the glory of Him that sent Me. John 8:28; 6:57; 8:50; 7:18. In these words is set forth the great principle which is the law of life for the universe. All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father's life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all. And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.

In heaven itself this law was broken. (DA 20, 21)

This speaks of the "law of life" of the universe. What is the law? It is to receive from the hand of God, and give. Give back to God, and give to others. This is the law of "life."

The contrast of this is to receive from the hand of God and not give. This is the law of death.

Selfishness can only lead to death because it's based on a death-filled principle. One cannot live for self and live because life is not predicated on living for self. It can't be. Not because of an arbitrary decision which God makes, but because of the nature of things.

God => Life
God => Love

Self => Anti-love
Self => Death

Sin => Anti-Christ => Self => Death

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101908
08/25/08 06:52 PM
08/25/08 06:52 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What you are saying is basically the following. God could choose to kill us, put us in a soup, and eat us, but His character does not allow Him to do this. Therefore He is making a discretionary choice not to do this.

Ok, this is true, but isn't this a rather odd way to think about it? How is this conveying any useful information?

Yes, you got it! That's exactly what I'm saying.

That conveys useful information in that it tells you something about God's character, what He is like. If you say that God had no choice in the matter, it tells you nothing about Him.

In the same way, to say that God's character constrained Him to choose to link sin with death and righteousness with life tells us something about what kind of God we serve. However, if you say that God didn't "choose" things to be that way, but just found that He had to do it that way, that tells you nothing about God, except that He is bound by a higher power to which He is subject.

In the same way, to say that the sinner's character constrains him to choose to die rather than live with God tells us a lot about the sinner. If we say that he was merely forced to die provides no information with which to evaluate the sinner.

Where we might differ on that is the point when sinners actually have a meaningful choice between two or more options. To say that they "choose to die" while the fire is coming down tastes like sour grapes - they have no other option at that point. That's why I say their choice was made long before that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101909
08/25/08 07:17 PM
08/25/08 07:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Here's what you actually said: "I do not believe that God could have chosen for sin to be linked with life, or righteousness to be linked with death."

Do you mean that "God could not have chosen for sin to be linked with life and God could not have chosen for righteousness to be linked with death"? That's what I think you meant. Am I right?

What I wrote is perfectly clear and understandable. It's obviously not an exclusive or from the context.

If I say, "I did not go to Texas or Oklahoma" and you claim that Maxwell disagrees with this, isn't it clear that you are asserting that Maxwell is saying I neither went to Texas nor Oklahoma?

I believe sin is linked to death, and is righteousness linked to life, because of inherent properties they have, as opposed to because of an arbitrary decision on the part of God. Actually "linked to" isn't strong enough. The way the SOP puts it is better, death "is the inevitable result of sin."

She makes the point, in DA 764, that death is the inevitable result of sin, as opposed to the result of an act of individual discretion on the part of God.

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101910
08/25/08 07:22 PM
08/25/08 07:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
That conveys useful information in that it tells you something about God's character, what He is like. If you say that God had no choice in the matter, it tells you nothing about Him.

How could God have no choice in the matter? Does that make any sense? Has anyone been suggesting this? This seems to be "itching where it doesn't scratch," as an old professor of mine used to say.

Quote:
In the same way, to say that God's character constrained Him to choose to link sin with death and righteousness with life tells us something about what kind of God we serve. However, if you say that God didn't "choose" things to be that way, but just found that He had to do it that way, that tells you nothing about God, except that He is bound by a higher power to which He is subject.

I think the way the SOP put it is better. Death "is the inevitable result of sin." This is as opposed to because of an arbitrary act on the part of God, as explained in DA 764.

Quote:
In the same way, to say that the sinner's character constrains him to choose to die rather than live with God tells us a lot about the sinner. If we say that he was merely forced to die provides no information with which to evaluate the sinner.

I agree with this.

Quote:
Where we might differ on that is the point when sinners actually have a meaningful choice between two or more options.

Perhaps we might disagree regarding this, but I've not made any comment on this.

Quote:
To say that they "choose to die" while the fire is coming down tastes like sour grapes - they have no other option at that point. That's why I say their choice was made long before that.

This isn't clear to me. What is it you believe causes the death of the wicked? Is it literal fire coming down upon them? If so, this would have to be an arbitrary act of power on the part of God, wouldn't it? (using your definition for "arbitrary").

Arnold, I've asked you several times if you agree that the exclusion from heaven by the wicked is "voluntary with themselves." From the context, this is referring to the time after the wicked have been resurrected. I don't think you've responded. (Sorry to make you repeat yourself if you have and I've missed it).

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: Tom] #101911
08/25/08 07:28 PM
08/25/08 07:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Selfishness can only lead to death because it's based on a death-filled principle. One cannot live for self and live because life is not predicated on living for self. It can't be. Not because of an arbitrary decision which God makes, but because of the nature of things.

I agree with that post, with this exception. You say things are that way because of the "nature of things." I say things are that way because God, i.e. His character, is that way. Had God been different, or if He found the "nature of things" displeasing to Him, He has the power to make things work another way.

Check this out:
 Quote:
In infinite wisdom, the world which God had newly formed was placed under fixed laws. Laws were ordained, not only for the government of living beings, but for the operations of nature. ... But God's laws are not merely an expression of His selfish or arbitrary authority. He is love, and in all that He did, He had the well-being of humanity in view. {PHJ, February 1, 1902 par. 2}

Nature is not God, nor was it ever God. The voice of nature testifies of God, but nature is not God. As His created work, it simply bears a testimony to God's power. Deity is the author of nature. The natural world has, in itself, no power but that which God supplies. {6BC 1068.2}

Many teach that ... the operations of nature are carried on in harmony with fixed laws, that God himself cannot interfere with. ... Nature is not self-acting; she is the servant of her Creator. God does not annul his laws nor work contrary to them; but he is continually using them as his instruments. {ST, March 20, 1884 par. 5}

There is much talk about God in nature, as if the Lord were bound by the laws of nature to be nature's servant. Many theories would lead minds to suppose that nature is a self-sustaining agency apart from the Deity, having its own inherent power with which to work. In this men do not know what they are talking about. Do they suppose that nature has a self-existing power without the continual agency of Jehovah? The Lord does not work through His laws to supersede the laws of nature. He does His work through the laws and properties of His instruments, and nature obeys a "Thus saith the Lord." {6T 186.1}

Perhaps our difference is about cause and effect.

I believe that things are the way they are BECAUSE God made them that way. If God wanted things to work differently, He could have made it that way.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Did Christ died the 'second death' for us... [Re: asygo] #101913
08/25/08 07:54 PM
08/25/08 07:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Perhaps our difference is about cause and effect.

I believe that things are the way they are BECAUSE God made them that way. If God wanted things to work differently, He could have made it that way.

I don't think sin leads to death because that's the way God made sin.

Page 28 of 36 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!