HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102201
09/01/08 02:00 AM
09/01/08 02:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree, Arnold. Is it possible for one how is led by the Spirit to inadvertantly curse? If so, then why would God need to keep him alive so he could repent?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102203
09/01/08 04:10 AM
09/01/08 04:10 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
I agree, Arnold. Is it possible for one how is led by the Spirit to inadvertantly curse?

Yes. My kids, 7yo and 10yo, inadvertently curse now and then. Sometimes they make up words or mispronounce words that turn out to be curse words, but they don't even know that they are. I don't see any sin in that.

However, the Spirit does not lead into sin, ever. If one sins, it is by the leading of another power.

If so, then why would God need to keep him alive so he could repent?

First of all, the SOP says that the angels keep such a one safe. So the first point to keep in mind is that God does keep him alive.

Why would He do that? It's part of the great controversy. Along with proving that sin is a bad thing, the GC proves that God is able to redeem sinners. If God does not keep him alive, all that's left is hearsay, not proof.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102204
09/01/08 04:14 AM
09/01/08 04:14 AM
I Am His  Offline
United States
 Originally Posted By: asygo
It's all much shorter and simpler than all that. Is the person being led by the Spirit? If he is when he dies, he's fine. If he's not when he dies, he's not.

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God. Those who are not sons of God only have eternal death as an inheritance.

I like that thought. Good Post.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102205
09/01/08 04:26 AM
09/01/08 04:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes. My kids, 7yo and 10yo, inadvertently curse now and then. Sometimes they make up words or mispronounce words that turn out to be curse words, but they don't even know that they are. I don't see any sin in that.

Of course this has nothing to do with our discussion. We've been talking about people who know what cursing is and what the words mean. If your going to mention your kids, you might as well mention yourself. I'm sure you say all sorts of sware words in other languages without being aware of it (i.e. common English sounds and words are swear words in other languages). To be guilty of cursing one needs to know what the meaning of the words are, and why they are improper to use as a follower of Christ.

Quote:
However, the Spirit does not lead into sin, ever.

Of course, but this is not under consideration. No one in this forum is arguing that the Spirit leads people into sin.

Quote:
If one sins, it is by the leading of another power.

This is assuming that sinning only occurs as the result of the leading of a power.

Quote:
(T)If so, then why would God need to keep him alive so he could repent?

(A)First of all, the SOP says that the angels keep such a one safe. So the first point to keep in mind is that God does keep him alive.

The quote was talking about more serious matters, such as one in danger of resisting the Spirit to eternal loss. It wasn't talking about inadvertant cursing.

Quote:
Why would He do that? It's part of the great controversy. Along with proving that sin is a bad thing, the GC proves that God is able to redeem sinners. If God does not keep him alive, all that's left is hearsay, not proof.

This isn't the issue I'm asking about. I've been asking about inadvertant cursing.

I asked if it's possible for one that is led of the Spirit to inadvertantly curse, and if so, why God would need to keep such a person alive. I still don't know what your answer to these questions are. You spoke of children cursing who don't know what they're doing, which isn't what I was asking. Then you said that the SOP quote says God keeps such people alive, when first of all her quote doesn't address that, and secondly, it still hasn't been answered whether a person who is led of the Spirit can inadvertantly curse. You answered "yes," but your explanation involved people who don't know what they're doing, so I don't know the answer to the question in its context.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102206
09/01/08 04:59 AM
09/01/08 04:59 AM
I Am His  Offline
United States
I found this on another forum ...

Quote:
" It is the duty of the youth to encourage sobriety. Lightness, jesting, and joking will result in barrenness of soul and the loss of the favor of God. " 2T 236

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102207
09/01/08 05:37 AM
09/01/08 05:37 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
However, the Spirit does not lead into sin, ever.

Of course, but this is not under consideration. No one in this forum is arguing that the Spirit leads people into sin.

OK. So if the action in question is considered a sin, then we agree that the person doing it was not led by the Spirit.

Quote:
If one sins, it is by the leading of another power.

This is assuming that sinning only occurs as the result of the leading of a power.

Either we are walking in the Spirit or walking in the flesh. I don't see another option.

I suppose a 3rd option is that certain actions are not led by either God or the flesh, but just happen spontaneously and randomly. But I don't think that actually happens.

Quote:
(T)If so, then why would God need to keep him alive so he could repent?

(A)First of all, the SOP says that the angels keep such a one safe. So the first point to keep in mind is that God does keep him alive.

The quote was talking about more serious matters, such as one in danger of resisting the Spirit to eternal loss. It wasn't talking about inadvertant cursing.

They are talking about sinning, which is what we need to focus on. Inadvertent cursing is ambiguous to the point of being useless as a point of reference in regard to determining points of doctrine.

Let's look at one of the quotes again:
 Quote:
A silent witness guards every soul that lives, seeking to win and draw him to Christ. The angels never leave the tempted one a prey to the enemy who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences. {OHC 23.2}

This is talking about people who are tempted to sin. This side of eternity, that includes all of us. Whether the temptation is for a "big" sin or "little" sin, as long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences.

We agree that the Spirit does not lead into sin. So, let's consider MM's hypothetical situation where a person sins just before his fatal accident. (Note: If I understood MM correctly, he considered cursing a sin. If we're not talking about cursing as a sin, then there's nothing to repent about, and the confusion is over.)

If a person sins just before dying, was that person led by the Spirit just before dying? I don't think so.

If he was not led by the Spirit, is that something that needs to be repented of before one closes his life's history? Yes.

Quote:

This isn't the issue I'm asking about. I've been asking about inadvertant cursing.

You'll have to clarify for me how you look at inadvertent cursing. Is that a sin? If so, then what he does about it is most definitely part of the GC and the IJ. If not, then there's nothing to worry about, since sin is the only thing that can cause us a problem.

I asked if it's possible for one that is led of the Spirit to inadvertantly curse, and if so, why God would need to keep such a person alive. I still don't know what your answer to these questions are. You spoke of children cursing who don't know what they're doing, which isn't what I was asking. Then you said that the SOP quote says God keeps such people alive, when first of all her quote doesn't address that, and secondly, it still hasn't been answered whether a person who is led of the Spirit can inadvertantly curse. You answered "yes," but your explanation involved people who don't know what they're doing, so I don't know the answer to the question in its context.

Again, it depends on what you think is inadvertent cursing, and if it counts as a sin. I gave an example of what I can think of as inadvertent cursing, but you don't like it. What do you have in mind?

As an ex-curser, I can't really imagine what inadvertent cursing is, other than saying things that I didn't know was a curse word. Perhaps another possibility is saying a word that is generally used as a curse word, but without any malicious thoughts or feelings behind it. I would not consider such a case as a curse.

However, if one was upset and mumbled to himself, "Uneducated particle of feces," I would count that as a curse. Can that happen inadvertently? Can self rise up inadvertently?

Now I'm reminded of Moses. Sin kind of sneaked up on him, didn't it? Did he need to repent? Yes, he did. When self gets off the cross, even for a moment, even if it was unexpected, it needs to be crucified again by repentance.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102220
09/01/08 05:06 PM
09/01/08 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(A)However, the Spirit does not lead into sin, ever.

(T)Of course, but this is not under consideration. No one in this forum is arguing that the Spirit leads people into sin.

(A)OK. So if the action in question is considered a sin, then we agree that the person doing it was not led by the Spirit.

This looks to be making a couple of assumptions which haven't been established. One looks to be that if a person will only sin if led into sin by some outside power. Another is that a person led by the Spirit will not commit any sin (there are different types of sin to consider, such as sins of ignorance, inadvertant sins -- by which I mean not pre-meditated, and deliberate sins).

My question was a specific one regarding inadvertant cursing. The principles involved can be applied to other behaviors as well.

You made the statement, "As an ex-curser, I can't really imagine what inadvertent cursing is, other than saying things that I didn't know was a curse word."

I wrote the following:

Quote:
Here's how I see the process of not cursing taking place:
a.Person curses, thinks nothing of it.
b.Person is converted.
c.Person is convicted that pure speech is important, doesn't want to curse anymore
d.Person curses, some time passes, remembers desire not to curse, repents.
e.Same as d, but the time from curse to repentance shortens
f.Person starts to catch himself in the middle of cursing
g.Person begins to catch himself before cursing
h.Person no longer curses out out, but thinks it. Repents.
i.Time between thinking and repentance decreases.
j.Person eventually no longer curses when thinking.

I asked you:

Quote:
Let's consider the theif on the cross. How far along would he have been in the process of a through j above? I think probably b. I doubt he even was as far along as c. It seems like you are suggesting a person has to be all the way to j, or God will not allow him to die. Am I understanding you correctly?

I'm still interested in your response. Understanding your thinking here I think could help in responding to what you've written.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102232
09/01/08 07:44 PM
09/01/08 07:44 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
(A)However, the Spirit does not lead into sin, ever.

(T)Of course, but this is not under consideration. No one in this forum is arguing that the Spirit leads people into sin.

(A)OK. So if the action in question is considered a sin, then we agree that the person doing it was not led by the Spirit.

This looks to be making a couple of assumptions which haven't been established. One looks to be that if a person will only sin if led into sin by some outside power.

As I wrote previously, the power could be the internal promptings of self. An outside power is not needed in order to sin. However, an outside power is needed in order to not sin.

Another is that a person led by the Spirit will not commit any sin (there are different types of sin to consider, such as sins of ignorance, inadvertant sins -- by which I mean not pre-meditated, and deliberate sins).

1Jn 3 tells us that whoever is born of God does not, cannot sin. So that establishes that there is at least one class of sin that no true Christian commits. I think we can agree that deliberate sins fall into this category.

Then there are sins of ignorance, where a person does something that he honestly did not know was sin. (This presumes that the person did not have the opportunity to learn, as opposed to those who choose to remain ignorant.) I believe a person led by the Spirit can still fall into these. But they always walk in all the light available to them.

Now, how about the sneaky, un-premeditated sins, like Moses' sin at the rock? I think one must let go of the Spirit before he falls into such sin. If we are in the Spirit, He can keep us from falling and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

You made the statement, "As an ex-curser, I can't really imagine what inadvertent cursing is, other than saying things that I didn't know was a curse word."

I wrote the following:

Quote:
Here's how I see the process of not cursing taking place:
a.Person curses, thinks nothing of it.
b.Person is converted.
c.Person is convicted that pure speech is important, doesn't want to curse anymore
d.Person curses, some time passes, remembers desire not to curse, repents.
e.Same as d, but the time from curse to repentance shortens
f.Person starts to catch himself in the middle of cursing
g.Person begins to catch himself before cursing
h.Person no longer curses out out, but thinks it. Repents.
i.Time between thinking and repentance decreases.
j.Person eventually no longer curses when thinking.

I asked you:

Quote:
Let's consider the theif on the cross. How far along would he have been in the process of a through j above? I think probably b. I doubt he even was as far along as c. It seems like you are suggesting a person has to be all the way to j, or God will not allow him to die. Am I understanding you correctly?

I'm still interested in your response. Understanding your thinking here I think could help in responding to what you've written.

I'm not sure where the thief was, as we don't have much data. But we can safely say that he was at least at B, because he was saved. How far he got down the list before dying, we don't know.

But when I went through it, I skipped from B to J. I did not go through any of the steps in between. I assume that same power was available back then.

In terms of the IJ, it only counts as far as H. Once there is not outward manifestation of sin, there is no evidence to look at. Again, it would only be hearsay at that point. Is that how far one needs to go for God to let him die peacefully? Or maybe J? I don't know.

Again, the crucial point is what constitutes sin. If the onlooking universe determines that steps C-J are not sinful, then B is all that's needed. But then, I have little insight as to how the jury will lean on this issue.

What I do know is that for me, anything less than J is failure. I know better, and I know the power is available to me. If someone cuts me off on the freeway, leading to my death, the last words from me should be, "Father, forgive them."

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102235
09/01/08 08:23 PM
09/01/08 08:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, what I've been asking is why would God need to keep someone alive who inadvertantly cursed so that he could repent. This seems totally unnecessary.

It seems to me one need only ask the question, would a given person be happy in heaven. If the answer is "yes," that settles it. It seems to me that on the cross, this is what went through Jesus' mind. The theif asked to be taken to heaven. Jesus saw the request was genuine and honored it. That's all that was necessary.

It seems to me that just because a person inadvertantly curses, or commits some other sin, does not mean the person would not be happy in heaven. I agree with you that deliberate, premeditated sins are of another character. These would constitute rebellion.

I have in mind the following:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102236
09/01/08 09:25 PM
09/01/08 09:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You're looking at a different facet. It seems to me to be central to the "Maxwellian" belief system. And it is correct.

But I'm looking at another aspect, a penal aspect, if you will. The Great Controversy has lasted this long, not because God doesn't know who will or will not be happy in heaven. It is because WE don't know who will or will not be happy in heaven. You will find this in Maxwellian doctrine also, along the lines of why God didn't immediately destroy Satan.

God is on trial. He has chosen to put Himself on trial. Therefore, He is not free to make sovereign decisions as you suggest because the wisdom of His sovereign decisions are in question. If there was no question, there would be no problem. But there is, so there is.

If the whole story consisted of what you posted, then things could have been very simple:
  • Step 1: God should keep silent and give no light that can be rejected, keeping everyone sinless.
  • Step 2: Remove His protection from everyone so that they die immediately.
  • Step 3: Make a list of who would have been happy in heaven, and who would have been sad.
  • Step 4: Give each one eternal life or eternal death based on the list.

Why is it necessary to keep the person alive if he was going to repent? The same reason why Satan was kept alive. Each one must be given the chance to manifest, not just profess, what kind of creature he is.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 6 of 24 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!