HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102280
09/03/08 02:24 AM
09/03/08 02:24 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
Does the person need to go to J? I already answered that. If the steps before J constitute sin, then Yes, a person needs to go to J. If not, then No.

Do you think the steps before J are sinful?

Yes. This is clear isn't it? If saying a curse is a sin, then so is thinking it. I don't see why you are unsure about this.

Based on your answer here it appears to me that it is your position that God cannot allow a person to die who thinks a curse without having a chance to repent of it. Is this correct?

I believe that I said in a post somewhere that H is where the IJ considerations end. Nobody can see beyond H but God.

Having confirmed that you believe the steps before J are sinful, yet believing that one can be saved at B, doesn't that mean that you believe that one can be saved even though he is still in the midst of being enslaved by sin? I'm assuming that he doesn't want to do it, but he does it anyway. Doesn't that mean that he is in bondage to sin, because it continues to force him to go against his will?

If I understand you correctly, your argument is that God will save him anyway if he has previously built a big enough record of the sin/repent cycle, showing that he always repents after he sins. So, should he die, the onlooking universe is supposed to infer that he would have repented this time also had God kept him alive long enough to do it. Is that right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102281
09/03/08 02:32 AM
09/03/08 02:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
(T)Based on your answer here it appears to me that it is your position that God cannot allow a person to die who thinks a curse without having a chance to repent of it. Is this correct?

(A)I believe that I said in a post somewhere that H is where the IJ considerations end. Nobody can see beyond H but God.

Does this mean yes?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102282
09/03/08 02:40 AM
09/03/08 02:40 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Perhaps I don't find that so hard to believe because I lived through it.

When Jesus raised Lazarus, He did not do it in increments, slowly restoring his body while they all stood there waiting. He did it in an instant. Healing the cursing mind shouldn't be harder than that, right?

Of course, healing doesn't always happen in an instant. Most of the time, it goes through stages. But God is able to speed up the process whenever He chooses.

And if the thief's situation required instant healing, I don't have a problem with God doing it. He did it for me, and I wasn't even dying.

This is what I'm asking. Did the thief's situation required instant healing? Did God have to instantly heal him of cursing and every other like sin? (by "like sin" I mean sins that most people take time to overcome)

Being attached to a cross, he actually had relatively few sins that he could act out. If he had the urge to steal, he couldn't do that. Murder? No opportunity. Adultery? He could wish all he wants, but it will remain a wish. The long list of sins he might have done was drastically shortened by his situation. And since the IJ is only concerned about works - what is done through the body - what he could not do are irrelevant. (On an important side note, notice that coveting can never be on the IJ sin list.)

However, he could still curse. He could blaspheme. He could still manifest selfishness and be unchristlike. Those things have to be nailed to the cross and left there.

The same goes for all of us. Every sin that is available to us must be nailed to the cross and left there.

Did God instantly heal him? Well, God instantly heals all Christians of certain classes of sin. It doesn't seem impossible that God does different things for different people. So if God saw fit to do more for the thief, I don't see a problem at all.

What God did exactly is beyond what has been revealed to us, and is irrelevant to my position. So I don't sweat it. What I do know is that our fruits glorify God or shame Him. Also, by our words we are condemned or justified.

Now, if you can show one example of a person who sinned and went to heaven without repenting, then I'll have to change my position.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102284
09/03/08 02:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Having confirmed that you believe the steps before J are sinful, yet believing that one can be saved at B, doesn't that mean that you believe that one can be saved even though he is still in the midst of being enslaved by sin? I'm assuming that he doesn't want to do it, but he does it anyway. Doesn't that mean that he is in bondage to sin, because it continues to force him to go against his will?

If I understand you correctly, your argument is that God will save him anyway if he has previously built a big enough record of the sin/repent cycle, showing that he always repents after he sins. So, should he die, the onlooking universe is supposed to infer that he would have repented this time also had God kept him alive long enough to do it. Is that right?

If the character is not revealed by an occasional good deed or misdeed, doesn't that mean that a person won't be lost because of an occasional misdeed? So why would God have to keep the person alive so he can repent?

It sounds like your thinking is that to be saved a person must be perfect in every aspect, never even occasionally sinning. Given this to be the case, I don't see how you can think the thief on the cross could be saved, unless God did uniquely miraculous for him (or other people, for that matter, unless they never sin).

Regarding your questions to me in regards to being in bondage to sin, I disagree with your characterization because I don't think a person going through the process described is enslaved in sin. A person fighting to form new habits is choosing to do right. I don't believe the fact that it's a difficult fight, and a person may occasionally fail, means he is lost or enslaved in sin.

I'm basing these questions on this:

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, your argument is that God will save him anyway ...

This sounds like you're saying that a person who commits any sin, even an inadvertant one, is lost.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102285
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
(T)Based on your answer here it appears to me that it is your position that God cannot allow a person to die who thinks a curse without having a chance to repent of it. Is this correct?

(A)I believe that I said in a post somewhere that H is where the IJ considerations end. Nobody can see beyond H but God.

Does this mean yes?

It means No. Only God sees beyond H, therefore it is inadmissible as evidence in the IJ.

Sins that only happen in the thoughts can be handled as you describe - based on one's inner conversion. It is only the ones that are expressed externally that must be repented of externally.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102286
09/03/08 03:05 AM
09/03/08 03:05 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Being attached to a cross, he actually had relatively few sins that he could act out. If he had the urge to steal, he couldn't do that. Murder? No opportunity. Adultery? He could wish all he wants, but it will remain a wish. The long list of sins he might have done was drastically shortened by his situation. And since the IJ is only concerned about works - what is done through the body - what he could not do are irrelevant. (On an important side note, notice that coveting can never be on the IJ sin list.)

This isn't the case.

Quote:
God's law reaches the feelings and motives, as well as the outward acts. It reveals the secrets of the heart, flashing light upon things before buried in darkness. God knows every thought, every purpose, every plan, every motive. The books of heaven record the sins that would have been committed had there been opportunity.(5 SDABC 1085)

If the thief on the cross wanted to murder or steal, but was prevented from doing so by physical circumstances, the books of heaven would reveal this.

Quote:
However, he could still curse. He could blaspheme. He could still manifest selfishness and be unchristlike. Those things have to be nailed to the cross and left there.

The same goes for all of us. Every sin that is available to us must be nailed to the cross and left there.

Even sin not available to us must be left there.

Quote:
Did God instantly heal him? Well, God instantly heals all Christians of certain classes of sin. It doesn't seem impossible that God does different things for different people. So if God saw fit to do more for the thief, I don't see a problem at all.

What God did exactly is beyond what has been revealed to us, and is irrelevant to my position. So I don't sweat it. What I do know is that our fruits glorify God or shame Him. Also, by our words we are condemned or justified.

Now, if you can show one example of a person who sinned and went to heaven without repenting, then I'll have to change my position.

What's your position? You say God saw fit to do more for the thief you don't have a problem, but that wasn't my question. This was my question:

Quote:
This is what I'm asking. Did the thief's situation required instant healing? Did God have to instantly heal him of cursing and every other like sin? (by "like sin" I mean sins that most people take time to overcome)

Again, I'm not asking if this is something God might have done or if God was capable of doing such a thing, but if your theology requires God to have done this.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102287
09/03/08 03:14 AM
09/03/08 03:14 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
This sounds like you're saying that a person who commits any sin, even an inadvertant one, is lost.

I think all the work to talk about that which I'm not talking about has caused confusion.

What I'm saying is this: A person who commits any sin, if he will repent, will be given the chance to repent.

However, to address what you've been itching to talk about, your statement is not quite how I would say it. Rather, I say that a person who commits any sin, even an inadvertent one, deserves to be lost. Whether he's actually lost or not depends on what he does about it. But if he does nothing, the default condition is the lost condition.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102288
09/03/08 03:29 AM
09/03/08 03:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It means No. Only God sees beyond H, therefore it is inadmissible as evidence in the IJ.

Sins that only happen in the thoughts can be handled as you describe - based on one's inner conversion. It is only the ones that are expressed externally that must be repented of externally.

I think I'm understanding you. Please correct me if not.

The reason you see repentance to be important is not because of the person himself, but because of the witness to others, in particular by way of the IJ. If a person commits an external sin, he must externally repent, because this is what's visible in the IJ. So God must keep the person alive so it can be seen that he repented.

If the person sins internally (e.g. thinks a curse, but doesn't say it) this person can die, because his sin is not visible to others.

Is this correct?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102289
09/03/08 03:59 AM
09/03/08 03:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I think all the work to talk about that which I'm not talking about has caused confusion.

Haven't we been talking about the scenario where a person inadvertantly sins (specifically curses) and dies before having a chance to repent?

Quote:
What I'm saying is this: A person who commits any sin, if he will repent, will be given the chance to repent.

Including internal sins?

Quote:
However, to address what you've been itching to talk about,

Hasn't this been what this discussion is about? Didn't MM bring up a scenario where a person is driving and then curses without repenting?

MM said this:

Quote:
For example, if a person dies the instant they curse, before they have time to repent, I believe Jesus will impute what they would have done had not death taken them so suddenly. God knows what they would have done based on the general tendency of their life and character.

This is what we've been discussing.

Quote:
your statement is not quite how I would say it. Rather, I say that a person who commits any sin, even an inadvertent one, deserves to be lost.

I don't understand how this agrees with the following:

Quote:
The character is revealed by the works, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts.(ST 3/27/84)

Quote:
Whether he's actually lost or not depends on what he does about it. But if he does nothing, the default condition is the lost condition.

Why can't the default position be the saved condition?

Quote:
He took in His grasp the world over which Satan claimed to preside as his lawful territory, and by His wonderful work in giving His life, He restored the whole race of men to favor with God.(1SM 343)

Given that Christ restored everyone to favor with God (I'm assuming "the whole race of men" means "everybody"), how could the default position be lost?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102291
09/03/08 04:48 AM
09/03/08 04:48 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

I think I'm understanding you. Please correct me if not.

The reason you see repentance to be important is not because of the person himself, but because of the witness to others, in particular by way of the IJ. If a person commits an external sin, he must externally repent, because this is what's visible in the IJ. So God must keep the person alive so it can be seen that he repented.

If the person sins internally (e.g. thinks a curse, but doesn't say it) this person can die, because his sin is not visible to others.

Is this correct?

That's pretty much it. Internal sins can be handled between God and the sinner, and requires no outward evidence of repentance since there was no outward evidence of anything to repent about. But once the sin comes out, then the whole universe gets involved, and such public sin must be publicly repented of.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!