HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102447
09/08/08 08:23 PM
09/08/08 08:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T: God is in control of the outcome of the evil person's choice because He didn't kill him? Let's apply this logic to yourself. Say you have a child, and that child, God forbid, does something evil. Are you in control of the outcome of your child's choices because you could have killed him but didn't?

M:Are you suggesting there is no difference between God’s role and responsibilities as a parent and mine? I’m flattered you think so, but I must beg to differ. It’s like comparing poop and pudding, to put it bluntly.

This just looks like a dodge, to put it bluntly. \:\)

The example I gave was to make clear the error in your suggestion. You would not be responsible for the evil deeds of a child because you didn't kill it when you could have. This has absolutely nothing to do with your parenting skills! It has to do with your having power over someone, the ability to end that person's life, and not doing so.

There are a whole lot of people you could kill, that you work and live around, and thus prevent them from doing evil deeds. Since you don't do this, are you responsible for the evils they commit?

Quote:
TE: So if a person were involved instead of a bullet (say the person is strangling another with his bear hands), then God wouldn't have the right to intervene. This is the implication of your statement. Unless you want to argue that hands have no rights the He must avoid violating. You should be able to see that volition, and not bullets, is the salient feature here.

In your scenario the same principle applies. God could easily choose to cease keeping his heart beating and the strangler would be unable to kill his victim. The strangler is still guilty of wanting to commit murder. The point is We manage the choices, but God manages the consequences.

It looks like you're jumping sideways. You said God could intervene because a bullet has no rights, a truly bizarre argument. Now people certainly have rights, so if the reason God can't intervene when a bullet is involved, then God cannot intervene when a person instead of a bullet is involved, right? Otherwise your comment about bullets makes no sense.

If by "manages the consequences" you mean something like "permits the evil deed to occur, and helps those who suffer because of it," I agree, although I think your way of putting it is odd. If you have something else in mind, you'll have to clarify what it is.

Quote:
T:I see you are agreeing with me that God is not responsible for the evil plans wicked people devise. Good. There is also no problem in saying that God works with the victims of those impacted by these evil decisions. But saying "He manages precisely how each and every choice will play out." is saying too much. This implies that the evil things that happen are God's will.

M:I’m glad you agree God can and does intervene on behalf of victims. By this I assume you mean He alters the sinner’s intended outcome. Do you have an example in mind?

What? How do you get from "There is also no problem in saying that God works with the victims of those impacted by these evil decisions." to "I’m glad you agree God can and does intervene on behalf of victims." much less "By this I assume you mean He alters the sinner’s intended outcome."

This is certainly an odd assumption to make! No, I didn't mean this. I meant what I said. God "works with the victims." This means He comforts them, things like that.

Quote:
TE: God didn't change His mind about not wanting the bullet to kill someone just because someone pulled the trigger, which is what your statement implies. Why didn't God want the assissin to fire the gun? Obviously so that the victim would not be killed. Given this is the case, after the bullet is fired, if God were to manage things according to what He wanted, He wouldn't allow the bullet to find its target. You are implying that God changed His mind after the gun was fired.

God doesn’t change His mind. He never has, and never will.

This is a bit outside the scope of our current conversation, but bears comment:

Quote:
5 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 6Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. 7At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, 8but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. 9And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.(Jer. 18; NRSV)

This speaks of God's changing His mind.

Quote:
It is never His will for assassins to want to kill people. Nor will He ever violate their freedom or ability to want to choose, or to choose, to kill people. Nevertheless, there are times when circumstances force God to employ His enemies to carry out His will.

Does this have something to do with what we're talking about? That is, are you saying that when the assissin's bullets kills the victim that this means that assissin is carrying out God's will? Or are you starting a different topic of conversation here?

Quote:
For example, it was God’s will for Jews and Gentiles to nail Jesus to the cross. “Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!” Luke 17:1.

Only in a permissive sense was this God's will. Exactly the same as the bullet of the assassin.

Quote:
T: I say "For example, smoking may cause lung cancer." and you respond, "No, God is not bound by natural law, by the normal cause and effect relationships."

What?! How do you get from the statement that "smoking may cause lung cancer" to "No, God is not bound by natural law."??

MM:Whether or not smoking causes cancer depends on if God chooses to intervene and prevent the normal cause and effect outcome in cases where people are sure to come down lung cancer related to smoking.

Smoking causes cancer, just like gravity "makes things go down," to put things in lay man's speak. It would be weird to say that whether or not gravity makes things go down depends upon whether or not God chooses to intervene and prevent the normal cause and effect outcome. This isn't the way people speak.

For example, let's consider another example. Walking is good for MM's health. I could say "whether walking is good for MM's health depends upon whether or not someone shoots MM while he is taking a walk." This is a true statement, but rather a wierd one to make. Also it doesn't negate (or in any way help understand) the statement that "walking is good for MM's health."

Quote:
MM:I realize you used the word “may”, which is why felt it was necessary to clarify my response.

Your response was still odd. If I say, "Gravity makes things go down" it would be odd for you to respond, "God is not bound by natural law," but this is in effect what you did.

Quote:
T: He is involved by giving Himself to all the victims of sin and fighting for righteousness and truth. He is not involved in manipulating the results of people's choices to serve Himself.

MM:No matter what people do, good or bad, it ultimately serves to demonstrate the truth about God’s claims and Satan’s accusations.

Right. This has been my point.

Quote:
For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.

Right!

Quote:
2 Cor 13:8. It will serve God when Satan loses the GC, and it will serve God when He wins the GC. But God cannot sit back and allow Satan to manipulate people to his advantage and to God’s disadvantage. God’s active involvement prevents this from happening. And, He accomplished His goals without violating free will.

You'll have to be more specific. God doesn't "sit back" as you put it, but He certainly does allow Satan to manipulate people to his advantage and to God's disadvantage. This happens at every moment.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102448
09/08/08 09:15 PM
09/08/08 09:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: People do not have to choose to be lost, they need only neglect to choose to be saved.

T: From this we see that one must do something, namely resist the drawing of God, in order to be lost.

MM:Even if people do not resist the wooing influence of the Holy Spirit, in the end they must choose to be saved, right?

If they do not resist the wooing influence of the Holy Spirit, they will choose to be saved. That's what the statement I quoted says.

Quote:
If they neglect to choose to be saved they are lost.

If they resist the Holy Spirit, they will be lost. If they do not resist, they will be saved.

Quote:
Resisting the Holy Spirit is neglecting to choose to be saved.

No, it's not. Resisting the Holy Spirit is an active choice. "Neglect" conveys a different thought than "resist." These aren't synonyms.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102497
09/11/08 02:25 AM
09/11/08 02:25 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: It’s the thought that counts, right? The fact the abuser wanted to abuse the child is enough of an effect to demonstrate the hideous consequences sinning. How it plays out after the corrupt thought is cherished is up to God.

TE: If what you mean by this is that there are times when God allows evil people to do the evil they have purposed, I agree, but your way of putting it is vague. To say it's "up to God" how it plays out may be taken to mean that what happens is God's will. If you simply say that God permits or allows certain things to happen which are contrary to His will, that makes things clear.

Calling it "His permissive will" waters down the force of truth. It is God's will, even when all the options available to Him are evil, to see to it that the best evil option plays out properly. He doesn't simply sit back allow evil to run its course. If you prefer you could look at it this way - It is not God's will to allow the wrong evil options to play out.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102499
09/11/08 03:16 AM
09/11/08 03:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What? How do you get from "There is also no problem in saying that God works with the victims of those impacted by these evil decisions." to "I’m glad you agree God can and does intervene on behalf of victims." much less "By this I assume you mean He alters the sinner’s intended outcome."

This is certainly an odd assumption to make! No, I didn't mean this. I meant what I said. God "works with the victims." This means He comforts them, things like that.

Here's what I hear you saying: An all-powerful, all-knowing God seeks to comfort victims He allowed to be victimized so Satan can demonstrate rebelling is wrong. I'm afraid this wouldn't comfort me. I would feel expendable.

Smoking causes cancer, just like gravity "makes things go down," to put things in lay man's speak. It would be weird to say that whether or not gravity makes things go down depends upon whether or not God chooses to intervene and prevent the normal cause and effect outcome. This isn't the way people speak.

Here's a promise to prevent the normal effects of gravity:

Psalm
91:11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
91:12 They shall bear thee up in [their] hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Here's what she wrote about angels intervening:

Quote:
HP 99
Angels of God are watching over us. Upon this earth there are thousands and tens of thousands of heavenly messengers commissioned by the Father to prevent Satan from obtaining any advantage over those who refuse to walk in the path of evil. {HP 99.2}

HP 255
Angels, as ministering spirits, are in the path where duty calls the heirs of salvation to travel, and God will protect them from all evil. {HP 255.4}

MAR 314
Though the rulers of this world know it not, yet often in their councils angels have been spokesmen. Human eyes have looked upon them. Human ears have listened to their appeals. In the council hall and the court of justice, heavenly messengers have pleaded the cause of the persecuted and oppressed. They have defeated purposes and arrested evils that would have brought wrong and suffering to God's children. To the students in the heavenly school, all this will be unfolded. {Mar 314.2}

ML 302
A guardian angel is appointed to every follower of Christ. These heavenly watchers shield the righteous from the power of the wicked one. This Satan himself recognized when he said, "Doth Job fear God for nought? Hast not Thou made a hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side?" The agency by which God protects His people is presented in the words of the psalmist, "The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear Him, and delivereth them." {ML 302.2}

ML 302
His angels are appointed to watch over us, and if we put ourselves under their guardianship, then in every time of danger they will be at our right hand. When unconsciously we are in danger of exerting a wrong influence, the angels will be by our side, prompting us to a better course, choosing words for us, and influencing our actions. {ML 302.4}

The in passages posted above there is no indication God leaves things to the whims of evil angels. They are very much involved in the outcome of human choices - influencing their choices, their words, their course of action.

You'll have to be more specific. God doesn't "sit back" as you put it, but He certainly does allow Satan to manipulate people to his advantage and to God's disadvantage. This happens at every moment.

God is continually preventing the Devil from overstepping the limitations God places on him. Job is an example.

MM: Resisting the Holy Spirit is neglecting to choose to be saved.

TE: No, it's not. Resisting the Holy Spirit is an active choice. "Neglect" conveys a different thought than "resist." These aren't synonyms.

If you're busy resisting the Holy Spirit you don't have time to choose to be saved. Salvation is neglected by default. I like what she says in the following passages:

Quote:
MH 176
Desires for goodness and purity are right, so far as they go; but if we stop here, they avail nothing. Many will go down to ruin while hoping and desiring to overcome their evil propensities. They do not yield the will to God. They do not choose to serve Him. {MH 176.1}

SC 43
He invites us to give ourselves to Him, that He may work His will in us. It remains for us to choose whether we will be set free from the bondage of sin, to share the glorious liberty of the sons of God. {SC 43.4}

SC 47
Desires for goodness and holiness are right as far as they go; but if you stop here, they will avail nothing. Many will be lost while hoping and desiring to be Christians. They do not come to the point of yielding the will to God. They do not now choose to be Christians. {SC 47.2}

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102500
09/11/08 03:44 AM
09/11/08 03:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding evil and God's will, this is simple. Anytime something evil happens, that's not God's will. God allows these things to happen because of the Great Controversy.

There's nothing watered down here. All you have to know is that God is good, and only good emanates from Him.

To see what God's will, look at Jesus Christ. She what He did, how He treated people. From that you can discern God's will.

Quote:
If you're busy resisting the Holy Spirit you don't have time to choose to be saved.

It's not a question of time, but of choice. If one is resisting the Holy Spirit, one is using one's time, actively choosing to be lost.

Quote:
Salvation is neglected by default.

I don't know that this means.

This I understand:

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul.(DA 176)

Isn't this clear?

1.The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God.
2.His love is drawing us to Himself.
3.If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour.

Simple as 1, 2, 3. God's love is resisting us, and if we don't resist we'll be saved.

That's right, isn't it?

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102543
09/13/08 12:09 AM
09/13/08 12:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Here's what I hear you saying:

An all-powerful, all-knowing God seeks to comfort victims He allowed to be victimized so Satan can demonstrate rebelling is wrong.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102554
09/13/08 12:50 AM
09/13/08 12:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Can you explain how? Your cause and effect looks all mixed up.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102576
09/13/08 02:55 PM
09/13/08 02:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I don't understand your question, Tom. Were you responding to my last post?

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Mountain Man] #102595
09/13/08 07:10 PM
09/13/08 07:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes. You said you hear me saying, "An all-powerful, all-knowing God seeks to comfort victims He allowed to be victimized so Satan can demonstrate rebelling is wrong." Can you explain how you see this?

The way you put it doesn't make sense to me. It has cause and effect mixed up. I haven't done this.

Specifically you say "God seeks to comfort victims He allowed to be victimized so Satan can demonstrate rebelling is wrong." This is all mixed up. The order of things are not right. Here's the right order:

1.God allows Satan to do his will.
2.Satan does his will, which results in victims.
3.God comforts the victims.

Re: Does God allow evil to run its course...... [Re: Tom] #102599
09/13/08 09:09 PM
09/13/08 09:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, let's go with your flow. Tell me again - Why are there victims needing God's comfort? Is it because God allows the Devil to victimize them? How does your formula play out in the following example:

A man follows a single mom and her child home from church. He lays in waiting until midnight. He sneaks in and hurts them. A pastor explains to them that God allows the Devil to do these kinds of things so that the onlooking universe can conclude sin is bad.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!