HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102471
09/09/08 06:57 PM
09/09/08 06:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Post quotes where she says people are born again first, and then they begin the gradual process of discovering and putting away the sins they practiced before they were reborn.This is easily shown to be the case, even without quotes.

Sabbath-breaking is an example. One doesn't need to become a Sabbath-keeper before one can be born again does one?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102472
09/09/08 07:00 PM
09/09/08 07:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Duplicate post

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102474
09/09/08 07:14 PM
09/09/08 07:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: Here's how she stated the matter - "I had a vague notion it was sinful, but since I was suffering I thought I had the right to indulge it." It doesn't sound to me like she was ignorant. Instead, it sounds like she was excusing it.

T: Didn't she volunteer this as an example of a sin of ignorance?

MM:Here's what she wrote: Don't you think there are things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins? For instance, there was a time in my life I didn't see self-pity as a sin. God brought me to a circumstance which showed me self-pity as part of my character. I had a vague notion it was sinful, but since I was suffering I thought I had the right to indulge it. Today I see it as a sin in a way I didn't see before, but it took me some years to really come to see things in this light. How would you classify this kind of sin?

This is describing a sin of ignorance. "Don't you think there are things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins?"

Quote:
MM: I hear her saying one uncrucified defective trait of character closes the gates of heaven. How does this tie in with your idea that people often go into the grave with uncrucified defective traits of character?

TE: Please don't use characterizations like "your idea" without quoting something I've said. It is not my idea that people "often go into the grave with uncrucified defective traits of character." I looked over this entire thread, and don't see myself saying anything even close to this.

I see you used the word "defective" a couple of dozen times. I used it only a couple of times, and always in the context of responding to your use of it. We're clearly dealing with an idea of yours here, not mine. So for you to pass this off as an idea of mine is not cricket.

MM:You didn't answer my question.

You didn't acknowledge my point. I didn't respond to your question because it wasn't fair, for the reason I pointed out.

Quote:
MM:I'll rephrase it. Do you agree that one cherished character defect will prevent someone from entering heaven?

It could.

Quote:
Also, as you see it, what is the difference between sinful trait of character and defective trait of character? And, do think people often go into the grave with one but not the other?

Well, these are phrases you use, not me. I would read these as synonymns.

I don't think of this in these terms. I think of it in terms of would a person be happy in heaven. If yes, then God will take him there. If not, then God won't.

To return to your phrases, if the sinful trait is something known and cherished, and the person has been fighting against the Holy Spirit who has been urging the person that this thing must be given up or he will lost, and the person refuses, I don't see how such a person would be raised in the first resurrection. If it's something of which the person is unaware, then that's a different matter.

I think the "Would the person be happy in heaven?" way of thinking of it is better (easier to understand, more to the point).

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #102523
09/12/08 01:28 AM
09/12/08 01:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
MM: Post quotes where she says people are born again first, and then they begin the gradual process of discovering and putting away the sins they practiced before they were reborn.This is easily shown to be the case, even without quotes.

TE: Sabbath-breaking is an example. One doesn't need to become a Sabbath-keeper before one can be born again does one?

Do you have quotes supporting your claim that 1) ignorantly breaking the Sabbath is viewed by God as a "sinful practice" or a "defective trait of character", and 2) one doesn't need to be a Sabbath-keeper before experiencing rebirth.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102524
09/12/08 01:40 AM
09/12/08 01:40 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This is describing a sin of ignorance. "Don't you think there are things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins?"

I agree. But the example she gave doesn't describe a sin of ignorance. Here's what she wrote: "I had a vague notion it was sinful, but since I was suffering I thought I had the right to indulge it. Today I see it as a sin in a way I didn't see before, but it took me some years to really come to see things in this light. How would you classify this kind of sin?" She didn't know how to classify her example, so she asked.

MM: Do you agree that one cherished character defect will prevent someone from entering heaven?

TE: It could.

Can you think of an example where a cherished character defect will not bar the gates of heaven against them?

I think the "Would the person be happy in heaven?" way of thinking of it is better (easier to understand, more to the point).

The resurrected sinners will unite with Satan in an attempt to gain control of the New Jerusalem and the New Earth. If God were to simply walk away and let them have their way I suppose they would manage at least as well as they did before the Flood.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102527
09/12/08 05:26 AM
09/12/08 05:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: Post quotes where she says people are born again first, and then they begin the gradual process of discovering and putting away the sins they practiced before they were reborn.This is easily shown to be the case, even without quotes.

T: Sabbath-breaking is an example. One doesn't need to become a Sabbath-keeper before one can be born again does one?

MM:Do you have quotes supporting your claim that 1) ignorantly breaking the Sabbath is viewed by God as a "sinful practice" or a "defective trait of character", and 2) one doesn't need to be a Sabbath-keeper before experiencing rebirth.

Regarding your first question, do you have quotes supporting your claim that it is my claim that ignorantly breaking the Sabbath is viewed by God as a sinful practice or a defective trait of character?

Regarding the second question, do you believe that one needs to be a Sabbath-keeper before experiencing rebirth? If you don't, why are you asking for a quote to establish something you believe is false?

Quote:
T: This is describing a sin of ignorance. "Don't you think there are things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins?"

MM:I agree. But the example she gave doesn't describe a sin of ignorance. Here's what she wrote: "I had a vague notion it was sinful, but since I was suffering I thought I had the right to indulge it. Today I see it as a sin in a way I didn't see before, but it took me some years to really come to see things in this light. How would you classify this kind of sin?" She didn't know how to classify her example, so she asked.

I think you're jumping to an unwarranted conclusion here. You are assuming the reason she asked you how you would classify "this kind of sin" was that she was interested in what you thought. That you would assume she didn't know seems rather presumptuous on your part.

It looks to me like she is describing a sin of ignorance. Given the context of the discussing, it seems likely to me that she was giving this as an example precisely because she viewed it as a sin of ignorance. Why do you think she presented this as an example?

Look at what was said here:

Quote:
This is describing a sin of ignorance. "Don't you think there are things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins?"

Then she said:

Quote:
I had a vague notion it was sinful, but since I was suffering I thought I had the right to indulge it. Today I see it as a sin in a way I didn't see before, but it took me some years to really come to see things in this light.

So she *was* giving this as an example of "things in our lives that we didn't see as sins for a period but that from a certain moment onward we began to see as sins?" which you just agreed is a sin of ignorance.

So why are you saying her example is not describing a sin of ignorance?

Quote:
Can you think of an example where a cherished character defect will not bar the gates of heaven against them?

If by "cherished character defect" you mean something which is done rebelliously, then any such defect that was repented of would not bar such a person from the gates of heaven. However, I think you're not looking at this from the best angle. A better way of considering things is from the standpoint of if the person would be happy in heaven. If yes, then the person will be admitted. If the person doesn't want heaven, he won't be. The wicked are excluded from heaven because that's their choice.

Quote:
T:I think the "Would the person be happy in heaven?" way of thinking of it is better (easier to understand, more to the point).

M:The resurrected sinners will unite with Satan in an attempt to gain control of the New Jerusalem and the New Earth. If God were to simply walk away and let them have their way I suppose they would manage at least as well as they did before the Flood.

I don't see what point you're trying to make. My point was that if the person would be happy in heaven, God would admit him to heaven. Otherwise if the person chooses to be excluded from heaven, he will be excluded.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #102548
09/13/08 12:31 AM
09/13/08 12:31 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, much of what we're discussing here is being discussed elsewhere. So, based on the title of this thread, what sayest thou? Will people be resurrected in the first resurrection with cultivated defective traits of character?

If you answer, no, then please explain why not. If you answer, yes, then please explain why. Thank you.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102563
09/13/08 01:57 AM
09/13/08 01:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
AFAIK no one has disagreed with the idea that our character will not be changed after death, which the SOP asserts. Regarding cultivated defective traits of character, if you don't include sins of ignorance as a defective trait of character, then I would agree.

Regarding why, our minds define who are how; that is, how we think. As a person thinks in his heart, so is he. When we are resurrected, we continue to think in our heart in the same manner we did before death. If we love God and His principles, we continue doing so when awakened. Any wrong habits would be ignorant ones. When we learn the truth, we will willingly and eagerly follow it.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #102585
09/13/08 04:06 PM
09/13/08 04:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Regarding cultivated defective traits of character, if you don't include sins of ignorance as a defective trait of character, then I would agree.

I'm glad you agree sins of ignorance do not include cultivated sinful traits of character.

When we are resurrected, we continue to think in our heart in the same manner we did before death. If we love God and His principles, we continue doing so when awakened. Any wrong habits would be ignorant ones. When we learn the truth, we will willingly and eagerly follow it.

Please give examples of "wrong habits" some people will be resurrected with in the first resurrection.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #102608
09/14/08 03:58 AM
09/14/08 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Regarding cultivated defective traits of character, if you don't include sins of ignorance as a defective trait of character, then I would agree.

M:I'm glad you agree sins of ignorance do not include cultivated sinful traits of character.

Please take a look at what I said, and what you said. They are not the same. Do you see why?

Quote:
T:When we are resurrected, we continue to think in our heart in the same manner we did before death. If we love God and His principles, we continue doing so when awakened. Any wrong habits would be ignorant ones. When we learn the truth, we will willingly and eagerly follow it.

M:Please give examples of "wrong habits" some people will be resurrected with in the first resurrection.

Not keeping the Sabbath.

Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!