HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102293
09/03/08 05:17 AM
09/03/08 05:17 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
Whether he's actually lost or not depends on what he does about it. But if he does nothing, the default condition is the lost condition.

Why can't the default position be the saved condition?

Quote:
He took in His grasp the world over which Satan claimed to preside as his lawful territory, and by His wonderful work in giving His life, He restored the whole race of men to favor with God.(1SM 343)

Given that Christ restored everyone to favor with God (I'm assuming "the whole race of men" means "everybody"), how could the default position be lost?

Peter wrote:
 Quote:
2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

God waits for our repentance because He doesn't want us to perish. If salvation was the default, then Peter's argument is invalid.

You made a couple of assumptions, and you already mentioned one. Another one is that "favor with God" means "saved condition."

Jesus said that few find the road that leads to life. That means most will be lost.

That means either most of humanity, who were already saved, got themselves lost again; or "favor with God" doesn't necessarily mean "saved condition."

Let's say that it's the 1st option, that all humanity was saved, but most of them got themselves lost again. There are a few things to think about:
  • How could those who died before Jesus came get themselves lost again, assuming they were part of the "whole race of men"?
  • If God already got everyone saved at one point, and Peter tells us that He doesn't want anyone to perish, He should have just ended it all at that point, so that we don't have the chance to get ourselves lost again.
  • How could Jesus restore everybody (the "whole race of men") if knowledge of Christ was limited at the time? There were still so many people outside of Israel who didn't know about Him. How could their enmity to God be changed into favor with God by a work done without their knowledge? Unless Christ's work accomplished something between us and God apart from our participation.

Gotta go for now.....

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102300
09/03/08 12:48 PM
09/03/08 12:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God waits for our repentance because He doesn't want us to perish. If salvation was the default, then Peter's argument is invalid.

Peter's argument is fine. People have chosen to rebel, putting them outside the default. If they didn't choose to resist the love of God leading them to repentance, they would be fine. But because they rebeled, they need to be healed of their rebellion.

Quote:
You made a couple of assumptions, and you already mentioned one. Another one is that "favor with God" means "saved condition."

I'm asking, if everyone has been restored to God's favor, how is being lost be the default condition?

Quote:
Jesus said that few find the road that leads to life. That means most will be lost.

That doesn't mean being lost is the default condition. It just means it's more likely. For example, the default condition of a person is stationary. But most people move.

Quote:
That means either most of humanity, who were already saved, got themselves lost again; or "favor with God" doesn't necessarily mean "saved condition."

I didn't say they were already saved, but that being saved is the default condition. In other words, a person needs to do something to be lost. I'll clarify this at the end of this post.

Quote:
Let's say that it's the 1st option, that all humanity was saved, but most of them got themselves lost again. There are a few things to think about:

How could those who died before Jesus came get themselves lost again, assuming they were part of the "whole race of men."

Here's a statement of E. J. Waggoner which may help:

Quote:
The sacrifice of Christ, so far as this world is concerned, dates from the foundation of the world. While Christ was going about doing good in Judea and Galilee, He was in the bosom of the Father making reconciliation for the sins of the world.

The scene on Calvary was the manifestation of what has taken place as long as sin has existed, and will take place until every man is saved who is willing to be saved: Christ bearing the sins of the world. He bears them now....

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law,"--from sin and death. This He has done by "being made a curse for us," and so we are freed from all necessity of sinning. Sin can have no dominion over us if we accept Christ in truth, and without reserve. This was just as much a present truth in the days of Abraham, Moses, David, and Isaiah, as it is to-day. More than seven hundred years before the cross was raised on Calvary, Isaiah, who testified of the things which he understood, because his own sin had been purged by a live coal from God's altar, said: "Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; . . . He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed. . . . The Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." Is.53:4-6. "I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins; return unto Me; for I have redeemed thee." Is.44:22. Long before Isaiah's time, David wrote: "He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities." "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us." Ps.103:10,12. (The Glad Tidings)

I couldn't find the statement I was looking for, but this isn't bad.

Quote:
If God already got everyone saved at one point, and Peter tells us that He doesn't want anyone to perish, He should have just ended it all at that point, so that we don't have the chance to get ourselves lost again.

You appear to be thinking of the act of Christ as being punctiliar. I don't think that's a good assumption.

The Glad Tidings goes into this in quite a lot of detail. I quoted a snippet. Chapter 2, in particular, is good on this point.

Ok, I'm returning to the clarification I alluded to earlier.

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. (DA 176)

To be lost a person must resist the drawing love of God. If the person doesn't resist, he'll be saved.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #102358
09/05/08 03:36 PM
09/05/08 03:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: asygo
MM: Character is repetitious thoughts, words, and behavior. A predictable momentum is established. God can infer future acts.

A: What about your cursing driver? Did God infer that, or was He caught by surprise? Was that in the "predictable momentum"? BTW, your scenario never happens.

Found the quotes:
 Quote:
A silent witness guards every soul that lives, seeking to win and draw him to Christ. The angels never leave the tempted one a prey to the enemy who would destroy the souls of men if permitted to do so. As long as there is hope, until they resist the Holy Spirit to their eternal ruin, men are guarded by heavenly intelligences. {OHC 23.2}

If they yield to the enemy, and make no effort to resist him, then the angels of God can do but little more than hold in check the host of Satan, that they shall not destroy, until further light be given to those in peril, to move them to arouse and look to heaven for help. {1T 345.2}

When you were in great physical suffering and there was no hope for you in human skill, the Lord pitied you and mercifully removed disease from you. Satan has sought to afflict and ruin you, and even to take your life; but your Saviour has shielded you again and again, lest you should be cut down when your heart was filled with a satanic frenzy, your tongue uttering words of bitterness and unbelief against the Bible and against the truth you once advocated. {5T 338.1}

If someone sins and "would repent if he had the chance" God can and will keep him alive to do it. The IJ is based on our works, not inferences.

"The IJ is based on our works, not inferences." It's also based on our words, right?

Matthew
12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

The case of William Miller is interesting. Sister White wrote that God laid him to rest to prevent him from rejecting the Sabbath unto his damnation, and to prevent him from influencing others against embracing the Sabbath. In light of what you posted above, why didn't God keep him alive?

Originally Posted By: Asygo
The tree determines the fruit borne. And the fruit borne is unmistakable evidence of what the tree is. Hence, Jesus could say, "By their fruits you will know them." Also, out of the abundance of heart, the mouth speaks.

What kind of tree produces fruit which must be repented of? In other words, when a believer sins unintentionally, like the guy who curses and then quickly repents, does this indicate his tree is bad? If so, what good does it do to repent? The problem isn't the fruit; instead, the problem is the tree, right? So, if the guy dies immediately after cursing and repenting what difference does it make - his tree is bad. Can he make out alright in judgment if his tree is bad?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102366
09/05/08 05:57 PM
09/05/08 05:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I assume you're thinking of this:

Quote:
If William Miller could have seen the light of the third message, many things which looked dark and mysterious to him would have been explained. But his brethren professed so deep love and interest for him, that he thought he could not tear away from them. His heart would incline toward the truth, and then he looked at his brethren; they opposed it. Could he tear away from those who had stood side by side with him in proclaiming the coming of Jesus? He thought they surely would not lead him astray.

God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan, the dominion of death, and hid him in the grave from those who were constantly drawing him from the truth. Moses erred as he was about to enter the Promised Land. So also, I saw that William Miller erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth. Others led him to this; others must account for it. But angels watch the precious dust of this servant of God, and he will come forth at the sound of the last trump. (EW 258)

Where does this say that "Sister White wrote that God laid him to rest to prevent him from rejecting the Sabbath unto his damnation and to prevent him from influencing others against embracing the Sabbath"? Or did you have some other quote in mind?

I liked your tree question.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102428
09/08/08 04:56 AM
09/08/08 04:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I had this quote in mind, of which you quoted from in part:

Quote:
My attention was then called to William Miller. He looked perplexed and was bowed with anxiety and distress for his people. The company who had been united and loving in 1844 were losing their love, opposing one another, and falling into a cold, backslidden state. As he beheld this, grief wasted his strength. I saw leading men watching him, and fearing lest he should receive the third angel's message and the commandments of God. And as he would lean toward the light from heaven, these men would lay some plan to draw his mind away. A human influence was exerted to keep him in darkness and to retain his influence among those who opposed the truth. At length William Miller raised his voice against the light from heaven. He failed in not receiving the message which would have fully explained his disappointment and cast a light and glory on the past, which would have revived his exhausted energies, brightened his hope, and led him to glorify God. He leaned to human wisdom instead of divine, but being broken with arduous labor in his Master's cause and by age, he was not as accountable as those who kept him from the truth. They are responsible; the sin rests upon them. {EW 257.1}

If William Miller could have seen the light of the third message, many things which looked dark and mysterious to him would have been explained. But his brethren professed so deep love and interest for him, that he thought he could not tear away from them. His heart would incline toward the truth, and then he looked at his brethren; they opposed it. Could he tear away from those who had stood side by side with him in proclaiming the coming of Jesus? He thought they surely would not lead him astray. {EW 258.1}

God suffered him to fall under the power of Satan, the dominion of death, and hid him in the grave from those who were constantly drawing him from the truth. Moses erred as he was about to enter the Promised Land. So also, I saw that William Miller erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth. Others led him to this; others must account for it. But angels watch the precious dust of this servant of God, and he will come forth at the sound of the last trump. {EW 258.2}

She implies God hid him in the grave to prevent or protect him from rejecting further truth.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102432
09/08/08 05:45 AM
09/08/08 05:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, you wrote:

Quote:
The case of William Miller is interesting. Sister White wrote that God laid him to rest to prevent him from rejecting the Sabbath unto his damnation.

This is far different than what she actually said.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102482
09/10/08 04:58 PM
09/10/08 04:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you for clarifying this point. Her comment does, though, beg the question, at least in my mind. The question is - If God had not allowed Brother Miller to die, would he have gone on to reject other testing truths to his damnation?

Also, given the fact that he "raised his voice against the light from heaven", that he "erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth" what right does God have in bringing him to heaven when Jesus returns? There is no indication he repented of his sin.

How many more are there that were led into error who will be in heaven? In light of the following testimony it would appear that Miller's case is an exception to the rule:

Ezekiel
3:20 Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
3:21 Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous [man], that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102488
09/10/08 08:34 PM
09/10/08 08:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Thank you for clarifying this point. Her comment does, though, beg the question, at least in my mind. The question is - If God had not allowed Brother Miller to die, would he have gone on to reject other testing truths to his damnation?

No.

Quote:
Also, given the fact that he "raised his voice against the light from heaven", that he "erred as he was soon to enter the heavenly Canaan, in suffering his influence to go against the truth" what right does God have in bringing him to heaven when Jesus returns? There is no indication he repented of his sin.

He wasn't doing so willingly or knowingly, so it wasn't an issue of character. Where there is no light, there is no sin, no frown of God.

An interesting point here is that what's necessary isn't only the existence of light, but the comprehension of it. This is why Rosangela's example of self-pity is a good one of a sin of ignorance. When she understood what she was doing, she repented. Before understanding, it was simply a sin of ignorance.

Quote:
How many more are there that were led into error who will be in heaven? In light of the following testimony it would appear that Miller's case is an exception to the rule:

Error is simply a matter of degree, isn't it? Rather than being an exception to the rule, Miller is the rule. Who, except Jesus Christ, will be in heaven who did not err?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #102535
09/12/08 06:09 PM
09/12/08 06:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, are you suggesting Brother Miller didn't "err"? And, why do you think God allowed him to die prematurely?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #102559
09/13/08 01:32 AM
09/13/08 01:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Error is simply a matter of degree, isn't it? Rather than being an exception to the rule, Miller is the rule. Who, except Jesus Christ, will be in heaven who did not err?

MM:Tom, are you suggesting Brother Miller didn't "err"?

??? Why would you think this? I mean, why would you ask this question after reading what I said?

Quote:
And, why do you think God allowed him to die prematurely?

Why do you think his death was premature? He was around 67 when he died, well above the norm for that time.

Page 9 of 24 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!