HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,203
Posts195,694
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 5
Daryl 2
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #103181
09/25/08 10:53 PM
09/25/08 10:53 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
 Quote:

all of them focus just on Col. 2:14 and none of them offers a reasonable explanation for Eph. 2:15.

It's possible that they are making two different points.

Considering just Col. 2:14. If cheirographon is the record of our sins, what are the dogmasin?

ASV having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us

AV, KJV Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us

NKJV having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us

RSV having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands

Weymouth The bond, with its requirements, which was in force against us

Well, what are the legal demands of the record of our sins?

If a suspect is convicted and his crime is officially recorded, what's the next step? What is demanded by that conviction? Assuming there's no appeals process, the next step is the meting out of the penalty for the crime.

In the case of the record of our sins, I would propose that the legal demand is death. The wages of sin is death.

So, when the record of our sins is wiped away, so also goes the penalty of death. WDYT?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #103189
09/26/08 01:05 AM
09/26/08 01:05 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I think some things conspire against this idea:
1) the word is in the plural, while a penalty would be singular
2) Dogma is considered as synonymous with nomos and entole, and these words could hardly be used in the sense of a penalty

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #103193
09/26/08 02:43 AM
09/26/08 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
So, when the record of our sins is wiped away, so also goes the penalty of death. WDYT?

The record of sin is not the problem. Doing away with a record does no good at all. Sin is the problem, not the record of it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Rosangela] #103194
09/26/08 03:00 AM
09/26/08 03:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
What was nailed to the Cross was not the "law - nomos" but the cheirographon, a term which occurs only in Colossians 2:14. Its meaning has been clarified by its occurrence in apocalyptic literature where cheirographon is used to designate the "record-book of sin" or "the certificate of sin-indebtedness"

This struck me as Bacchiocchi's strongest point. Since "cheirographon" is not in Scripture, other than that one time, being able to ascertain its meaning from outside sources should be enlightening. I couldn't find a direct reference to the apocalyptic literature on line.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103234
09/27/08 01:54 AM
09/27/08 01:54 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:

The record of sin is not the problem. Doing away with a record does no good at all. Sin is the problem, not the record of it.

Isn't this the problem with the legal view?

1) God's law demands the death of the sinner.
2) God doesn't want to kill the sinner.
3) God figures a loophole in the law by placing all of the responsibility of sinners on Jesus.
4) God demands Jesus die in place of the sinner!
5) God wipes the sinner's record clean.

Sounds like a slight of hand legal maneuver that the most unethical of lawyers thought up.

scott

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103238
09/27/08 05:17 AM
09/27/08 05:17 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

Does cheirographon mean "sin"? If not, then what you just said is not a proper exegesis.

It's true that sin is the problem, but you'll have to put up some evidence to show that Paul was talking about that here.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #103240
09/27/08 05:40 AM
09/27/08 05:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Does cheirographon mean "sin"? If not, then what you just said is not a proper exegesis.

I was commenting on your statement, not Paul's. You asked:

Quote:

So I said what I think, which is that the problem has not to do with the record of our sin, but with sin. What good would doing away with a record do if the sin remained?

Waggoner deals with this idea nicely:

Quote:
Though all the record of all our sin, even though written with the finger of God, were erased, the sin would remain, because the sin is in us. Though the record of our sin were graven in the rock, and the rock should be ground to powder—even this would not blot out our sin.

The blotting out of sin is the erasing of it from nature, the being of man .

The erasing of sin is the blotting of it from our natures, so that we shall know it no more. 'The worshippers once purged' [Hebrews 10:2, 3]—actually purged by the blood of Christ—have 'no more conscience of sins,' because the way of sin is gone from them.(RH 9/30/02)

Quote:
It's true that sin is the problem, but you'll have to put up some evidence to show that Paul was talking about that here.

Again, I wasn't dealing with what Paul said, but with your question. Your point that if the record of our sin goes away then so with goes the penalty of death is lacking, because it's the wages of sin that is death, not the wages of the record of sin.

However, if the relationship between sin and the record is kept in mind, then there is truth to the assertion. That is, the record of sin is a faithful representation of the character of the individual. If the record's being removed represents that sin has left the character of the individual involved, then yes, the penalty of death goes away, because the sting of death is sin, and if you deal with the problem of sin, you deal with the problem of death.

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103251
09/28/08 03:00 AM
09/28/08 03:00 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

I was commenting on your statement, not Paul's. You asked:

Quote:

So I said what I think, which is that the problem has not to do with the record of our sin, but with sin. What good would doing away with a record do if the sin remained?

Nothing.

Quote:

Again, I wasn't dealing with what Paul said, but with your question. Your point that if the record of our sin goes away then so with goes the penalty of death is lacking, because it's the wages of sin that is death, not the wages of the record of sin.

You took my statement with a meaning I had not intended. R and I were specifically discussing Col 2:14, not the entire plan of salvation. The scope of my sentence is not as wide as you thought.

However, if the relationship between sin and the record is kept in mind, then there is truth to the assertion. That is, the record of sin is a faithful representation of the character of the individual. If the record's being removed represents that sin has left the character of the individual involved, then yes, the penalty of death goes away, because the sting of death is sin, and if you deal with the problem of sin, you deal with the problem of death.

I'm surprised that you would think R or I could ever forget that relationship. Haven't you read enough of our stuff to be absolutely clear on that point?

Anyway, you know R and I accept the penal paradigm. So we sometimes speak in language that may not fit well with your paradigm. But rest assured that we are not just interested in blotting heavenly ink. The stain of sin is in the heart, and that is where it must be erased.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: asygo] #103253
09/28/08 03:53 AM
09/28/08 03:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

Ok, if you say I took your statement too narrowly, I accept that. What did you mean then? How is it that when the record of our sins is wiped away, so also goes the penalty of death?

You say I know you accept the penal metaphor, but I'm a bit confused by that, since you seemed to have been defending A. Graham Maxwell's ideas, and he certainly does not agree with this metaphor. For awhile you were refusing to say that you disagreed with what Scott was saying; you looked very much to be agreeing in fact, taking issue, IIRC, with being told you were in disagreement with Scott. Yet here you are saying you accept the penal paradigm. This has be a bit confused. Can you explain what you were trying to say earlier, and how that relates to what you're saying now please?

Re: What was nailed to the cross in Col 2:14? [Re: Tom] #103261
09/28/08 04:31 PM
09/28/08 04:31 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

Ok, if you say I took your statement too narrowly, I accept that. What did you mean then? How is it that when the record of our sins is wiped away, so also goes the penalty of death?

Actually, you took it more broadly, taking it with a wider scope than I had intended.

I was specifically talking about the forensic aspect of the whole process. The legal record of the sin results in the legal penalty. It's a variation of Scott's "take away the written law and the condemnation goes along with it" idea. Same logic, but applied to different aspects.

It has nothing to do with the practical truth that if you are a jerk, you're still a pain to yourself and to others, regardless of what has been erased.

You say I know you accept the penal metaphor, but I'm a bit confused by that, since you seemed to have been defending A. Graham Maxwell's ideas, and he certainly does not agree with this metaphor. For awhile you were refusing to say that you disagreed with what Scott was saying; you looked very much to be agreeing in fact, taking issue, IIRC, with being told you were in disagreement with Scott. Yet here you are saying you accept the penal paradigm. This has be a bit confused. Can you explain what you were trying to say earlier, and how that relates to what you're saying now please?

I treat Maxwell much like you and Scott treat EGW and the other prophets - I defend his ideas that seem correct to me, and reject those that don't. Just because I agree with some of his ideas doesn't mean I agree with all of them.

I did agree with what Scott was saying then, because they were correct. Some people will disagree with everything another person says because they don't like some aspect of their belief. But I am not like that. I only disagree with what is wrong; if it's right, I will agree with it, no matter who says it.

But I don't think you saw me agree with completely rejecting the penal paradigm. I'm not quite to the level of independent thought where I can throw out what the prophets taught. (But then, you assert that the prophets never taught that. I still need to study that.)

I don't remember exactly what I was agreeing to earlier, so let's just start with what I can remember. Maxwell teaches that Christ's death effected salvation by the manifestation of God's love to sinful man. And for that to work, man must see that manifestation and be changed by beholding it. I agree with that, and I will take exception if someone says that I don't, because that is a crucial part of the plan of salvation. We are saved primarily from our own selfishness, not from death.

But that doesn't mean that I reject every other paradigm that explains God's plan of salvation. I don't subscribe to either/or theology. That's why I can agree with Maxwell that salvation requires a change in the sinner, while I can also entertain the idea that salvation includes a change in the heavenly "books." If that's where cheirographon points to, I don't have to disagree with Paul.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
"Justice" or torture?
by Rick H. 06/21/24 08:10 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/21/24 08:34 AM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by Rick H. 06/21/24 07:50 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!