HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104521
11/11/08 01:58 AM
11/11/08 01:58 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Do you agree that "the Son of God...die[d] in the sinner's STEAD"??? - substitutionary death?! What do you understand by Christ "saving fallen man from [the] curse" of the law?? You agree that God's justice demands the punishment of sinners?

Your "legal issues" with the cross bring these questions to mind, but, while you reject the legal arguments I at least believe also the philosophical issues of clarifying God's character by Jesus' demonstration of agape. Atonement still has a legal basis for me...

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104528
11/11/08 04:39 AM
11/11/08 04:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you agree that "the Son of God...die[d] in the sinner's STEAD"?

Yes. I've quoted the following many times:

Quote:
He (Christ) suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. "With His stripes we are healed." (DA 25)

I agree with substitutionary death, just not the penal substitution idea, such as Hodges presented.

Quote:
What do you understand by Christ "saving fallen man from [the] curse" of the law?

What I quoted in the thread about "Christ Victor" deals with this. Also what Waggoner says in "The Glad Tidings" is very good. I agree with what Waggoner said.

Regarding God's justice demanding the punishment of sinners, I agree, but I understand it along the lines of what I've quoted from Fifield.

Quote:
Your "legal issues" with the cross bring these questions to mind, but, while you reject the legal arguments I at least believe also the philosophical issues of clarifying God's character by Jesus' demonstration of agape. Atonement still has a legal basis for me.

It has a legal basis for me to, but I see the legal basis as recognizing reality, not creating it. Iow, I believe what Ellen White wrote here is true:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

This revelation of God has a legal basis, but the "whole purpose" is not something having to do with the law, but with God's character.

Also I don't reject all legal arguments. For example, Fifield has much to say about the law. His book "God is Love" has a chapter dealing with how the death of Christ honors God's law. I agree with what he wrote.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104538
11/11/08 05:46 PM
11/11/08 05:46 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:
It has a legal basis for me to, but I see the legal basis as recognizing reality, not creating it. Iow, I believe what Ellen White wrote here is true:

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)
Ah yes, does the law create order or acknowledge order?...: BOTH. Custom is law recognising reality, legislation is law creating order: the Ten Commandments would fit better with custom, defining righteousness and sin as our reality.

The everlasting covenant is not customary, but creates a legal process for the Son of God to re-establish the order of holiness and right that he also created. This also distinguishes the true, Biblical deal in salvation from the true promise of salvation without a deal being allowed in fulfilling it: while the Son of God chose to give himself for us - rending both his and his Father's heart..."rending the powers of heaven" - as the promise to Adam & Abraham fulfilled, the deal which preceded this promise to us was God promising to reward his Son with saving his brethern from sin should his Son be incarnate as Jesus and produce the righteous merits necessary for both our eternal life as well as suffering our due execution, assuming, living and dying with our nature due that execution.

God isn't just love, he is also law: before Lucifer fell God's law was implied, since it being stated merely openly contrasted the opposites of God and Satan. Law and character are complimentary and mutually inclusive, the two acting in concert and harmony - producing harmony out of disorder.

That you avoid the legal basis of salvation brings in also a different view of the covenants such that Christ didn't achieve anything of the covenant by his death: what covenant terms did Jesus fulfil and put into effect with his death??? Sorry if you've mentioned such things elsewhere...

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104542
11/11/08 07:02 PM
11/11/08 07:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.From what you wrote, it sounds like you agree with me in regards to the law recognizing reality as opposed to creating it. That's correct?

2.It looks like our disagreement is more in regards to the Covenant then, since you say that the Covenant is not customary, to use your word, but rather creates something (specifically a legal process).

I see the Covenant along the terms Waggoner laid out.

3.You write "God isn't just love, He is also law." This is an interesting statement. I *really* disagree with this. This might be something we could discuss further.

I believe the law is simply a description of God's love. Or, to state it another way, God is righteous *because* He is love, and His acts of righteousness are simply acts of love. The law describes His righteousness.

4.I'm not avoiding the legal basis of salvation. I'm disagreeing with you in regards to how this legal basis functions.

Do you agree with Waggoner's view of the Covenants? I see things as he does in regards to the Covenants, so if my theology means Christ didn't achieve anything of the covenant by His death, then neither does his. AFAIK I don't differ with Waggoner on his view of the covenant.

I'm bringing him for two reasons. One is you've expressed in the past an appreciation for the 1888 message. Two is Waggoner has written a lot regarding the Covenants, so there is a lot of material to draw from.

Unfortunately, I just moved, and don't have my "Everlasting Covenant" book of his, and it's not online to the best of my knowledge. frown There's still quite a bit about it in "The Glad Tidings" which is on line though.

I think I have some other material which touches on this. I'll see if I can find it. Specifically I'm thinking of the remark by Christ

Quote:
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.(Mat. 26:28)

Anyway, this is a very good question you're asking, Colin. One of the things I like about forums like this is when people ask questions that trigger thinking about things from a different angle.

A couple of thoughts come to mind, but not clearly enough to express right now, so I'll respond later.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104566
11/13/08 02:39 AM
11/13/08 02:39 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
1.From what you wrote, it sounds like you agree with me in regards to the law recognizing reality as opposed to creating it. That's correct?
No, given your second point, you don't think so either: both ordering reality and creating reality, in different forms and ways, like the Commandments and the covenant, respectively.

Quote:
2.It looks like our disagreement is more in regards to the Covenant then, since you say that the Covenant is not customary, to use your word, but rather creates something (specifically a legal process).

I see the Covenant along the terms Waggoner laid out.

3.You write "God isn't just love, He is also law." This is an interesting statement. I *really* disagree with this. This might be something we could discuss further.

I believe the law is simply a description of God's love. Or, to state it another way, God is righteous *because* He is love, and His acts of righteousness are simply acts of love. The law describes His righteousness.

4.I'm not avoiding the legal basis of salvation. I'm disagreeing with you in regards to how this legal basis functions.

Do you agree with Waggoner's view of the Covenants? I see things as he does in regards to the Covenants, so if my theology means Christ didn't achieve anything of the covenant by His death, then neither does his. AFAIK I don't differ with Waggoner on his view of the covenant.
The covenants are truly the making or breaking of the gospel: whether we relate to and rely on Jesus alone or try to deal with him...

The everlasting covenant changes sinful man's customary legal standing of condemnation, under the curse of law: that creates a new reality - a new creation, literally a new, meritorious righteousness, and the covenant creates the heirs of that righteousness. The testator of the covenant, alluded to in Hebrews, did achieve a legal breakthrough, called salvation, by validating the covenant with his death. That is the law personified.

I recall agreeing with EGW, EJW & ATJ on Christ's accomplishment of grace for all men, and the cross thus is a legal event of salvation. The other, actual contract of salvation, made by Christ's death was for the Father to reconcile and restore man to himself should his Son produce righteousness and offer himself to suffer the penalty for our sin. EGW speaks of this penalty, as others here have quoted - but somehow you don't agree with or that that is penal substitution?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104569
11/13/08 03:41 AM
11/13/08 03:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding the first point, I don't understand what you're saying.

Quote:
The covenants are truly the making or breaking of the gospel: whether we relate to and rely on Jesus alone or try to deal with him...

The everlasting covenant changes sinful man's customary legal standing of condemnation, under the curse of law: that creates a new reality - a new creation, literally a new, meritorious righteousness, and the covenant creates the heirs of that righteousness. The testator of the covenant, alluded to in Hebrews, did achieve a legal breakthrough, called salvation, by validating the covenant with his death. That is the law personified.

I don't really understand this either.

Quote:
I recall agreeing with EGW, EJW & ATJ on Christ's accomplishment of grace for all men, and the cross thus is a legal event of salvation.

Can you quote something from Waggoner?

Quote:
The other, actual contract of salvation, made by Christ's death was for the Father to reconcile and restore man to himself should his Son produce righteousness and offer himself to suffer the penalty for our sin.

You're saying that Christ made a contract with the Father in which the Father agreed to do certain things if Christ held up his end of the bargain?

Quote:
EGW speaks of this penalty, as others here have quoted - but somehow you don't agree with or that that is penal substitution?

I don't see the penalty as something arbitrarily imposed by God, but as being the "inevitable result of sin." So when Christ took upon Him our sin, He suffered that penalty. Not because God arbitrarily imposed a penalty against Him, but because sin kills. By Christ's death, we can be delivered from sin. Being delivered from sin, we are delivered from death (the penalty for sin) since death comes from sin.

I think our basic difference stems from what we perceive is the problem which needs to be fixed. I see the problem as being related to a misunderstanding of God's character, and living contrary to His principles.

For example:

Quote:
Sin originated in self-seeking. Lucifer, the covering cherub, desired to be first in heaven. He sought to gain control of heavenly beings, to draw them away from their Creator, and to win their homage to himself. Therefore he misrepresented God,
attributing to Him the desire for self-exaltation. With his own evil characteristics he sought to invest the loving Creator. Thus he deceived angels. Thus he deceived men. He led them to doubt the word of God, and to distrust His goodness. Because God is a God of justice and terrible majesty, Satan caused them to look upon Him as severe and unforgiving. Thus he drew men to join him in rebellion against God, and the night of woe settled down upon the world.

The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

The short version of this is that the whole purpose of Christ's mission was the revelation of God, to set man right with Him.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104600
11/14/08 07:47 AM
11/14/08 07:47 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
The two covenants are "1 right; 1 wrong": making a deal with God, even if merely promising to obey...is the wrong idea, and destroys the Gospel. God's promise to Adam & Abraham to save us from sin & death to righteous living, needing a mere belief in the truth that Jesus is the world's Saviour and therefore my Saviour too, is the right idea. God fills that belief with his love & power for our good works prepared by Jesus.

So you do think Christ achieved something with his death - a revelation of God's love costing his life, but nothing of legal import? How do you think the true covenant was connected to the cross if there's no legal event involved? Did Jesus achieve nothing of a legal nature by his death - if not, why not? Iow, what do you think the covenant has to do with Christ's death? Clarifying these issues helps strengthen the faith

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104629
11/14/08 10:21 PM
11/14/08 10:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with your first paragraph.

Regarding the second, I think the "revelation of God's love costing his life" is of legal import. In regards to what the Covenant has to do with Christ's death, it seems to me that Covenant is a means of communication, one of several which God uses, to communicate the truths of the Gospel. I think the basis problem is that man was separated from God, and needed to be reconciled. In order to be reconciled, it was necessary for Christ to come to this earth and reveal the truth, and, in particular, the truth about God. Part of that revelation involved His death on the cross.

The New Covenant is the promise of God to forgive our sins and write the law on our hearts, if we believe in Christ. An SOP quote:

Quote:
Belief in the propitiation for sin enables fallen man to love God with his whole heart and his neighbor as himself. (COL 378)

This looks to tie how the Covenant and Christ's death fit together. As the sinner believes in Christ, the New Covenant becomes effective.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104656
11/15/08 02:56 PM
11/15/08 02:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Whatever that problem was, it had to be something which could be solved by "the revelation of God," since that was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission.

The problem is twofold: 1) the broken law of God, and 2) the absence of love and obedience. In other words, God must first deal with past sins and then He must motivate and empower sinners to love and obey Him. Dealing with past sins means satisfying the just and loving demands of law and justice by paying our sin debt of death. Death must come in consequence of sin because the integrity of the law must be served and upheld.

Motivating and empowering sinners 1) to cease sinning, 2) to love God, and 3) to obey the law from now on - does not satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice so far as past sins are concerned. Our love and obedience does not atone for past sins. Ceasing from sin does not atone for past sins. Only the substitutionary death of Jesus satisfies the just and loving demands of law and justice thereby granting God the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Mountain Man] #104664
11/15/08 11:31 PM
11/15/08 11:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The problem is twofold: 1) the broken law of God, and 2) the absence of love and obedience. In other words, God must first deal with past sins and then He must motivate and empower sinners to love and obey Him. Dealing with past sins means satisfying the just and loving demands of law and justice by paying our sin debt of death. Death must come in consequence of sin because the integrity of the law must be served and upheld.

I think this is the wrong way of looking at things. It makes it seem like there's nothing really wrong with keeping the law, but only arbitrarily wrong. You say that death must come in consequence of sin because "the integrity of the law must be served and upheld." This means you see death as something imposed arbitrarily, in order to impose a penalty, in order to obtain a given result (specifically, in order to maintain the integrity of the law).

I see that death is the inevitable result of sin. Put simply, when people sin, they die. Not as an arbitrarily imposed penalty, as if sin were innocuous, but as a result of the fatal effects of sin.

Sin is likened to the fatal bite of a serpent. The poison was healed when the sinner looked to the lifted up serpent, which presented the truth that the fatal bite of the other serpent Satan, which is sin, is healed by looking to Christ.

It looks like our basic difference, or a basic difference, is that you see sin as innocuous, whereas I see sin as deadly.

Quote:
Motivating and empowering sinners 1) to cease sinning, 2) to love God, and 3) to obey the law from now on - does not satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice so far as past sins are concerned.

Are you thinking of "the wages of sin is death"? That's the only thing I can of that you are referencing.

Past sins are an issue only if one is trying to work one's way into heaven. If one wishes to earn heaven by one's own righteousness, then the fact that one has sinned makes that impossible. Actually, even aside from that it's impossible, because only an unconverted person would think this way anyway. But once one is converted, past sins are not an issue, because God forgives our sins if we repent. The death of Christ is necessary not for God to be able to forgive us (that God offered Lucifer pardon for his sin proves this) but to bring us to a repentant attitude so that we can repent and accept the pardon which God freely gives us:

Quote:
Christ is the price of our pardon; that is true. But let me state it: Jesus Christ is not the price paid to the Father for our pardon; but he is the price which the Father paid to bring us to a repentant attitude of mind, so that he could pardon us freely.(Fifield, GCB 1897)

But this all stems from understanding what it is that causes death. Is death an arbitrarily imposed penalty by God upon those who disobey Him? Or is death the inevitable result of sin, something of which God warns us? Does God urge us to invite Christ so that we will be saved from His wrath? Or does He warn us of the fatal effects of sin, from which He wishes to save us?

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!