HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104428
11/09/08 07:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Law and justice require death in consequence of man's sin - not sinners.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Mountain Man] #104429
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104445
11/09/08 09:02 PM
11/09/08 09:02 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Soooo,...the judgement of the wicked in hell involves God's displeasurable wrath against sin: what, and Jesus' death didn't endure divine wrath against sin as he legally saved sinners from judgement?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104449
11/09/08 09:47 PM
11/09/08 09:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Law and justice require death in consequence of man's sin - not sinners.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. The other post was just a quote, right?

Quote:
Soooo,...the judgement of the wicked in hell involves God's displeasurable wrath against sin: what, and Jesus' death didn't endure divine wrath against sin as he legally saved sinners from judgement?

No, Jesus' death was similar to the death of the wicked insofar as God's wrath is concerned. However, your whole conception of the matter is different than mine. What is the problem that had to be solved?

Ellen White wrote:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

Whatever that problem was, it had to be something which could be solved by "the revelation of God," since that was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104451
11/09/08 10:21 PM
11/09/08 10:21 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

IOW, God demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. And as part of His work, "Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon."

Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

Whatever that problem was, it had to be something which could be solved by "the revelation of God," since that was the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission.

And "the revelation of God" apparently includes the fact that "the death penalty must be executed." The execution of the death penalty is as much a revelation of God as is the pardoning of sin. In Christ's life and death, He revealed that God's character requires both pardon for the penitent and death for the sinner.

Last edited by asygo; 11/09/08 11:10 PM. Reason: clarification

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: asygo] #104457
11/09/08 11:46 PM
11/09/08 11:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
IOW, God demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. And as part of His work, "Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon."

Why does God demand this? Is it for Himself? Or for man's sake?

If it is for Himself, then why do we read this?:

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 497)

God would have needed Christ's death to offer Lucifer pardon as much as He would for man. Given that God did offer Lucifer pardon, without the death penalty being executed, it seems the necessity was not God related, but man related.

Quote:
And "the revelation of God" apparently includes the fact that "the death penalty must be executed."

Right!!

Quote:
The execution of the death penalty is as much a revelation of God as is the pardoning of sin. In Christ's life and death, He revealed that God's character requires both pardon for the penitent and death for the sinner.

The execution of the death penalty was a part of the revelation of God which was necessary in order to set man right with God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104466
11/10/08 02:58 AM
11/10/08 02:58 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:

Why does God demand this? Is it for Himself? Or for man's sake?
Just one question for now: you admit that God demands the death penalty for sin??! You NEVER argue this truth while you argue against legal requirements for forgiveness in your promotion of God revealing his character in Jesus. Why DO you only concede this points when pressured by evidence but appear to resist it when others suggest it? In OUR discussions you have certainly disagreed with me that God's justice demands/requires Jesus' death for our forgiveness: do you consider this requirement for forgiveness as something different than God's demands that the death penalty be executed?

Quote:
If it is for Himself, then why do we read this?:

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 497)

God would have needed Christ's death to offer Lucifer pardon as much as He would for man. Given that God did offer Lucifer pardon, without the death penalty being executed, it seems the necessity was not God related, but man related.
"It seems" is the operative part of your argument: are the rules for man's salvation equal to the rules for angles' salvation? Quite likely, since the same law is involved with both. You are rather speculating about an atoning sacrifice not being necessary for Lucifer, based on nothing other than Scripture & SOP's silence.

What I'll say this time is that a promise of a Saviour for Lucifer and his angels should they repent isn't mentioned because what is mentioned is that the fire of hell is prepared for only the devil and his angels, whose history of unrepentance is fully disclosed. There is no revealed promise of a sacrifice for their salvation because the revelation is their story of entrenched rebellion in the presence of God's glory and his Son's counsels with them: they are without excuse for their lost state because of rebellion in heaven itself - not because they haven't availed themselves of a Saviour.

I am thinking of other possibilities here, but they follow the same line.

Quote:
Quote:
And "the revelation of God" apparently includes the fact that "the death penalty must be executed."

Right!!

Quote:
The execution of the death penalty is as much a revelation of God as is the pardoning of sin. In Christ's life and death, He revealed that God's character requires both pardon for the penitent and death for the sinner.

The execution of the death penalty was a part of the revelation of God which was necessary in order to set man right with God.
You've never admitted this before in my discussions with you, so why now?

Last edited by Colin; 11/10/08 03:08 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Colin] #104471
11/10/08 04:51 AM
11/10/08 04:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Just one question for now: you admit that God demands the death penalty for sin??!

What I agree to was that the death penalty must be executed. Here's an explanation I've quoted often:

Quote:
The life of Christ was not the price paid to the father for our pardon; but the life was the price which the Father paid to so manifest his loving power as to bring us to that repentant attitude of mind where he could pardon us freely.

I understand that it was necessary for Christ to die because that was the only way by which man could be reconciled to God. I reject your legal argument in regards to the SOP because of how she describes Lucifer's situation. Lucifer sinned, but was given the opportunity to confess his sin. God offered Lucifer pardon again and again on the condition of repentance and submission. If the legal argument you make were true, Christ would have had to die in order for God to offer Lucifer pardon.

Quote:
You are rather speculating about an atoning sacrifice not being necessary for Lucifer, based on nothing other than Scripture & SOP's silence.

It's hardly speculating. The SOP wrote many pages regarding Lucifer's fall. She is very clear regarding the fact that Lucifer was offered pardon and what the conditions for that pardon were.

Quote:

Please, would you stop with the accusations? Can't you adopt a more friendly tone? I've quoted the following many, many times:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 762)

This quote is speaking of Christ's death. I've also quoted the Fifield quote, which I quoted in this post, many times. This also speaks of the sacrifice of Christ. This sacrifice was necessary for *man*, not for God. It was necessary to bring us to God, as Peter puts it. I've made this point many, many times.

Our differences come down to differing assumptions. It appears to me that you see the fundamental problem to be a legal one. God's law was broken, first in heaven, then in earth, and the breaking of that law requires certain actions on the part of God, including the death of His Son, in order for God to be able to do certain things, like forgive man.

I see the issue as one involving God's character. Man was deceived by Satan, who resorted to deception in order to lead man into sin. Sin causes us to believe things about God which are not true. The condemnation which man feels comes from sin. Man needs to be healed from sin, and the only way to do this is by making known that truth about God.

In addition to man's problems, there are the greater problems of the universe as a whole, and the vindication of God's throne. In order for God to be vindicated, it was necessary that Satan's claims be proven false, and that God's true character be revealed. Thus revealing the truth about God, and Satan, solves both man's problem and the problem of the universe as a whole.

That's a short description. I can go in more detail, if desired.

I think our discussion might be more fruitful if we discussed our basic differences. Then you might understand how I'm understanding the quotes that are presented. I'm not expecting you'll agree with me, but at least you might understand how I'm thinking. Once the thinking is understood, the reasoning immediately follows. If you asked these same questions of Scott, for example, he would give answers very similar to mine, simply because he perceives the problem along similar lines as me.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: Tom] #104505
11/10/08 05:39 PM
11/10/08 05:39 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I don't remember seeing this one posted yet:
Quote:
The Son of God volunteered to die in the sinner's stead, thus making it possible for man, by a life of obedience, to escape the penalty of the divine law, which he had transgressed. The death of Christ did not slay the law, lessen its holy claims, nor detract from its sacred dignity; on the contrary, the death of God's beloved Son on the cross justified the claims of the divine law, and proclaimed the justice of his Father in punishing the transgressor, in that he consented to suffer the penalty in his own person, to save fallen man from its curse. He thus magnified the law, and made it honorable, and gave evidence of its changeless character. {BEcho, January 1, 1887 par. 3}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #6 - Atonement in SYMBOLS: Part 1 [Re: asygo] #104520
11/11/08 01:11 AM
11/11/08 01:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The Son of God volunteered to die in the sinner's stead, thus making it possible for man, by a life of obedience, to escape the penalty of the divine law, which he had transgressed.

Isn't this what I've been saying?

Reply Quote
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!