HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105139
11/25/08 06:10 PM
11/25/08 06:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus was speaking to His disciples. He said, "All things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you." This doesn't describe His "intent" for His followers; instead, it simply says Jesus made known to them everything He heard from His Father. It refers to content not intent.

Yes, this applies to everyone today who understands and obeys and observes everything Jesus commanded. People like this, people in this state, have attained unto the sinlessness Adam enjoyed in Eden. Listen:

Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. They testify to their love of Christ by obeying all His precepts (MS 122, 1901). {6BC 1118.10}

When enlightened by the Spirit of God, the believer beholds the perfection of Jesus, and beholding this perfection, he rejoices with joy unspeakable. In self he sees sin and helplessness; in the Redeemer [he sees] sinlessness and infinite power. The sacrifice that Christ made in order that He might impart to us His righteousness--this is a theme upon which we may dwell with deeper and still deeper enthusiasm. {SD 124.2}

Matthew
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105149
11/25/08 08:52 PM
11/25/08 08:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The intent is that we be not servants but friends. God does not desire a slavish obedience, but desires that we have an intelligent appreciation of His attributes of character, and that our obedience spring from that appreciation.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105199
11/26/08 05:55 PM
11/26/08 05:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
True, but He also requires obedience even when we do not understand why. God does not require obedience on condition we understand why.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105237
11/27/08 05:41 AM
11/27/08 05:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God does not require obedience on condition we understand why.

I don't see how your suggestion here can be the case, MM, because God does not desire a slavish obedience:

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.(GC 541)

If what you are suggesting were the case, then it would not be true that God takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience, because requiring obedience without understanding would be requiring slavish obedience.

Slavish obedience = Obedience without understanding

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105249
11/27/08 06:00 PM
11/27/08 06:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I disagree.

Slavish obedience = grudgingly obeying God

"He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence." Not because they understand all the reasons why He requires them to obey Him in this or that way. Abraham was willing to kill Isaac because he guessed God would resurrect him, not because he understood why.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105256
11/27/08 07:12 PM
11/27/08 07:12 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Slavish obedience = Obedience without understanding

Have you read the SOP examples I posted? If you are correct, then Abraham and Moses rendered "slavish obedience." If the Israelites wanted to live through the snake bite, God required "slavish obedience" from them, if you are correct.

But MM is correct on this point. Understanding is nice, but not necessary in order to obey.

What you have in mind is not obedience, at least not as described by the Holy Spirit. Rather, it is concurrence. It is treating God as a friend, rather than a father.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105265
11/27/08 11:47 PM
11/27/08 11:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, you didn't post the quotes here, but referred to them, so I have to surmise which you are referring to. Looking back over the posts on this thread, I see which one which speaks of Abraham's being willing to sacrifice his son, and another speaking of looking and living to be cured of the serpent's bite. These are the ones it seemed to me you would most likely be referring to.

Let's consider these acts in relation to the quote I cited:

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.(GC 541)

Is this the case regarding Abraham? Certainly. It was because Abraham had a conviction regarding God's character that he acted as he did. He was convinced that God is love, and was also convinced that God would resurrect his son from death.

Regarding looking and living, those who were bit might not understand how God would cure them. Similarly we cannot understand how the Holy Spirit is able to create a new life in our soul when we respond to His presentation of Christ crucified for us.

The point here is that God does not remove any hooks upon which we can hang our doubts. He provides enough evidence that we can make an intelligent decision, but does not remove every occasion for our having doubt. I'm not saying that every single thing must be understood before a person can render obedience, but that obedience requires understanding.

I think it would be helpful to get the context for our present conversation. Let's consider something you said, which led into this discussion:

Quote:
For example, my father does not keep the Sabbath. Why? Because he, along with the rest of his church, does not see any reason why God would require it. They believe that every day is as holy as any other. They are too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding.

Here you perceive your father to be doing wrong because he is "too proud" to think that God can require them to obey the Sabbath without their knowing why. I think your father is right not to obey the Sabbath, if he sees no reason to. I think the problem may not be with your father, but with those who have been seeking to educate him regarding the Sabbath, if he is unable to see any reason why it should be kept.

Now I'm not privy to enough information to make a judgment in regards to this case. I'm simply speaking of the general principles involved. There are plenty of good reasons for keeping the Sabbath, so it shouldn't be difficult to present an argument which brings out these points. It certainly couldn't be argued that God expects us to keep the Sabbath for no good reason.

Quote:
All whom God has blessed with reasoning powers are to become intellectual Christians. They are not requested to believe without evidence; therefore Jesus has enjoined upon all to search the Scriptures. Let the ingenious inquirer, and the one who would know for himself what is truth, exert his mental powers to search out the truth as it is in Jesus. (Review and Herald, March 8, 1887)

Quote:
God gives sufficient evidence to every soul. He does not promise to remove every doubt, but He gives a reason for faith. (RH 1/24/99)

To give further context to our discussion, it began with the idea that God will zap our memories so that we cannot remember any sins that we have committed. This was based on (IMO) a forced interpretation of the Spirit of Prophecy, taking her words literally to convey a meaning she did not intend. I pointed out that the interpretation being suggested is contrary to common sense, and offered the following interpretation in its place:

Quote:
Though all the record of all our sin, even though written with the finger of God, were erased, the sin would remain, because the sin is in us. Though the record of our sin were graven in the rock, and the rock should be ground to powder—even this would not blot out our sin.

The blotting out of sin is the erasing of it from nature, the being of man.

The erasing of sin is the blotting of it from our natures, so that we shall know it no more. 'The worshippers once purged' [Hebrews 10:2, 3]—actually purged by the blood of Christ—have 'no more conscience of sins,' because the way of sin is gone from them. Their iniquity may be sought for, but it will not be found. It is forever gone from them—it is foreign to their new natures, and even though they may be able to recall the fact that they have committed certain sins, they have forgotten the sin itself—they do not think of doing it any more. This is the work of Christ in the true sanctuary" (The Review and Herald, September 30, 1902).

This is an interpretation given by one who was a contemporary of Ellen White, and was able to be corrected by her if he was speaking out of turn. This interpretation has the advantage of making perfect sense.

Anyway, this was the context of the conversation we are now having regarding whether or not understanding is a necessary component of obedience. To be clear, my point is not that we have to understand all things in order to render obedience, but that understanding is a component of obedience.

To obey without any understanding whatever would be slavish obedience. Indeed, I cannot think of a better definition of such than this.

To consider understanding a "nice to have" seems to me to be particularly dangerous. Let me simply ask, if you are going do something about which you have no understanding, how can you know you are obeying God and not the enemy?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105274
11/28/08 04:13 AM
11/28/08 04:13 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Arnold, you didn't post the quotes here, but referred to them, so I have to surmise which you are referring to. Looking back over the posts on this thread, I see which one which speaks of Abraham's being willing to sacrifice his son, and another speaking of looking and living to be cured of the serpent's bite. These are the ones it seemed to me you would most likely be referring to.

I had this long response, very insightful, and would have settled this issue forever wink , but clumsy fingers pressed Ctrl+Shift+W. Those who use Firefox know what this does. cry Anyway....

Here are the quotes:
Quote:
It was this implicit faith in God that made Moses what he was. According to all that the Lord had commanded, so did he. All the learning of the wise men could not make him a channel for God's working. But when he lost his self-confidence, and, realizing his helplessness, put his entire trust in God; when he was willing to obey Heaven's commands, whether they seemed to human reason proper or not, then the Lord could work mightily through him. {ST, July 12, 1905 par. 8}

What if, in the place of looking as Christ commanded them, they had said, "I do not believe it will do me the least bit of good to look. I am too great a sufferer from the sting of the poisonous serpent." Obedience was the object to be gained, implicit and blind obedience, without stopping to inquire the reason or the science of the matter. Christ's word was, "Look and live." ... {OHC 20.2}

None were compelled to look upon the brazen serpent. All could look and live, or distrust the simple provision God had made, refuse to look, and die. The people of God may not always see the reason for his requirements, and may not be able to understand his dealings with them; yet it is not their part to question and doubt his purposes. The lifelong recipients of his favor, they should yield him ready and willing obedience. All his commands are founded in infinite love and wisdom; and though we may not fully understand his purpose here, yet we shall know hereafter. {ST, October 28, 1880 par. 13}

Regarding "army" obedience:
Quote:
Every good soldier is implicit and prompt in the obedience he renders to his captain. The will of the commander is to be the will of the soldier. Sometimes the soldier may be surprised at the command given, but he is not to stop to inquire the reason for it. When the order of the captain crosses the wishes of the soldier, he is not to hesitate and complain, saying, I see no consistency in these plans. He must not frame excuses and leave his work undone. Such soldiers would not be accepted as fitted to engage in earthly conflicts, and much more will they not be accepted in Christ's army. When Christ commands, His soldiers must obey without hesitation. They must be faithful soldiers, or He cannot accept them. Freedom of choice is given to every soul, but after a man has enlisted, he is required to be as true as steel, come life or come death.--Manuscript 7 1/2, 1900. {Ev 648.1}

He stood up proudly and urged that he should be equal with God, and should be taken into conference with the Father and understand his purposes. God informed Satan that to his Son alone he would reveal his secret purposes, and he required all the family in heaven, even Satan, to yield him implicit, unquestioned obedience; but that he (Satan) had proved himself unworthy a place in heaven. {ST, January 9, 1879 par. 9}

Does your paradigm accept this kind of "blind obedience"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105275
11/28/08 04:50 AM
11/28/08 04:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.

Does your paradigm accept this kind of "intelligent appreciation"?

Quote:
God might have created man without the power to transgress His law; He might have withheld the hand of Adam from touching the forbidden fruit; but in that case man would have been, not a free moral agent, but a mere automation. Without freedom of choice, his obedience would not have been voluntary, but forced. There could have been no development of character. . . . It would have been unworthy of man as an intelligent being, and would have sustained Satan's charge of God's arbitrary rule. (Conflict and Courage page 13)

Quote:
The law of love being the foundation of the government of God, the happiness of all intelligent beings depends upon their perfect accord with its great principles of righteousness. God desires from all His creatures the service of love--service that springs from an appreciation of His character. He takes no pleasure in a forced obedience; and to all He grants freedom of will, that they may render Him voluntary service. (LHU 50)

Quote:
Christ attaches a weight of importance to the obedience of His people to the commandments of God. They are to have an intelligent knowledge of them, and bring them into their daily life. (This Day With God page 142)

Quote:
God gives sufficient evidence to every soul. He does not promise to remove every doubt, but He gives a reason for faith. (RH 1/24/99)

These quotes are bringing out the points I've been trying to make.

I'm interested in your answer to this question:

Quote:
If you are going to do something about which you have no understanding, how can you know you are obeying God and not the enemy?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105276
11/28/08 08:01 AM
11/28/08 08:01 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.

Does your paradigm accept this kind of "intelligent appreciation"?

Of course it does. I will try to explain this again, for the third time. Quote from post #104884:
Quote:
"If God intended to leave us at Ed 287.1, that would be slavish obedience." That means slavish obedience requires the intent to "leave us at Ed 287.1."

"But to pass through Ed 287.1 on the way to Ed 287.2 is trust." That means that if Ed 287.1 only happens "on the way to Ed 287.2" - as a temporary situation until one arrives at Ed 287.2 - then it is implicit, even "blind," obedience.

Does that make any sense? "Intelligent appreciation" is a good thing. In case you missed it, "intelligent appreciation" is a good thing.

But I do not make it my god. My brain is too small and weak to trust its intelligence as the basis of my life. I would rather trust the God of heaven.

<snip>

These quotes are bringing out the points I've been trying to make.

But nobody is disputing that God wants us to understand what He's saying and doing. The problem is that you say it is impossible to obey without understanding, while the SOP has a number of examples to the contrary.

I'm interested in your answer to this question:

Quote:
If you are going to do something about which you have no understanding, how can you know you are obeying God and not the enemy?

Like, for example, someone telling Abraham to kill his son, and him knowing that it was God telling him that, and not Satan? But when Satan tried to get Jesus to sin by quoting Scripture to Him, Jesus wasn't fooled? I suppose His sheep know His voice. I can't give you a foolproof algorithm to tell the difference, because it is probably a spiritual matter, not an intellectual one.

How about you? If you read instructions in the Bible for which you could not discern an acceptable rationale, would you disregard it until you understood why? Or would you consider the possibility that human wisdom is infantile in comparison to God's, and that you're simply not as smart as God?

I'll redo something I wrote in my lost post.

When I lived in the jungle, I learned the importance of quick and complete obedience. Living in such a place with a wife and a toddler is a serious matter. If I gave a command and someone took the time to ask for an explanation before obeying, it could be disastrous. The time it takes to find out why may be the time it takes for a wild boar to insert its tusk in your abdomen or for a cobra to bite your foot. The choice to immediately obey when you hear, "Stop!" may be the difference between standing on solid ground or taking the first step down a cliff.

That's why I asked you if you have ever led a group through a dangerous situation. I have an idea what it's like to be a leader and a follower in such a group. Mutual trust - trust to the point of immediate and complete obedience - is not optional.

Aren't you of the belief that if God wasn't constantly protecting us, all hell would break loose, snakes would be biting us, we would be killing each other, and all sorts of other bad things would happen as an immediate result? Our sin-marred environment is a dangerous place. If we don't trust God implicitly, we won't make it through alive.

Those who obey His word because they trust Him, lack of understanding notwithstanding, are being guided by One who has been through it before and came out fine. Those who need an explanation for everything are being guided by the faulty reasoning of a sin-damaged mind. The choice looks pretty simple to me.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 5 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!