HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105495
12/03/08 05:12 PM
12/03/08 05:12 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
God desires an obedience based on a right conception of His character, which is the foundation of faith. This agrees with the idea that He does not desire a slavish obedience, one which is not based on understanding.

Understanding His character, but not necessarily understanding the reasons for His commands. Those are two different things.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105541
12/04/08 05:26 AM
12/04/08 05:26 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, does God expect us to obey His commandments even if we don't completely understand all the reasons why? Is it still a sin if we choose not obey a certain commandment until after we understand all the reasons why?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105578
12/05/08 02:44 AM
12/05/08 02:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:God desires an obedience based on a right conception of His character, which is the foundation of faith. This agrees with the idea that He does not desire a slavish obedience, one which is not based on understanding.

A:Understanding His character, but not necessarily understanding the reasons for His commands. Those are two different things.[quote]

Jesus said He calls us "servants, not friends" because a servant does not know what His master is doing. This indicates, to me, that God intends that we understand the reasons behind His commands. In addition, I understand the statement from the SOP saying that God does not desire a slavish obedience to be communicating the same idea that Jesus is in John 15.

[quote]M:Tom, does God expect us to obey His commandments even if we don't completely understand all the reasons why?

Yes. I've pointed this out. You may wish to re-look at the thread, this latter part. See the comments about having hooks upon which to hang our doubts.

Quote:
Is it still a sin if we choose not obey a certain commandment until after we understand all the reasons why?

A sin is when you know something is right and you choose not to do it, or if you know something is wrong and you choose not to do it anyway. You can know something is right (or wrong) without knowing *all* the reasons why. Indeed, we'll never understand everything. That wouldn't be in harmony with the principle of free will. God doesn't overwhelm us with evidence. He gives us enough evidence to make a well informed, reasonable decision. He won't remove every hook upon which we can hang a doubt.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105579
12/05/08 03:04 AM
12/05/08 03:04 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
A sin is when you know something is right and you choose not to do it, or if you know something is wrong and you choose not to do it anyway.

If God said to keep the 7th day holy, as opposed to another day holy or every day as equally holy, is the fact that God said it enough for you to conclude that it is right to do that?

Conversely (or is that inversely), if God said to not do something, is that enough for you to conclude that it is wrong to do that?

IOW, is God's word, apart from your understanding of His word, a sufficient guide to determine what is right or wrong? IOW, in case the first set didn't make sense, if God said it, is that good enough for you?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105580
12/05/08 03:36 AM
12/05/08 03:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:A sin is when you know something is right and you choose not to do it, or if you know something is wrong and you choose not to do it anyway.

If God said to keep the 7th day holy, as opposed to another day holy or every day as equally holy, is the fact that God said it enough for you to conclude that it is right to do that?

I don't think this would be enough for God. That is, God is not interested in an obedience which would be based on something arbitrary, like His simply saying something with no reason at all. I don't think God wants us to do what He says for no other reason than "I said so."

Quote:
Conversely (or is that inversely), if God said to not do something, is that enough for you to conclude that it is wrong to do that?

Certainly God is trustworthy, so His saying not to do something is reason enough not to do the thing, but I don't believe He is interested in an obedience based simply on His say so.

Quote:
IOW, is God's word, apart from your understanding of His word, a sufficient guide to determine what is right or wrong?

I don't see how this makes sense. God's word, apart from someone understanding it, doesn't mean anything, it seems to me. I guess it's like the question if a tree falling in the woods makes a sound if nobody hears it.

Quote:
IOW, in case the first set didn't make sense, if God said it, is that good enough for you?

You mean like "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." This seems to me like a description of slavish obedience. This doesn't seem like "I have called you friends, not servants."

You have asked me a bunch of questions about what's good enough for me, but I don't think this is the issue. The issue is what's good enough for God, and I don't think an obedience based on nothing other than "I said so" is good enough.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105582
12/05/08 04:36 AM
12/05/08 04:36 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The issue is what's good enough for God, and I don't think an obedience based on nothing other than "I said so" is good enough.

I gave this historical evidence earlier, but you didn't address it. I'll try again.

God gave the Israelites 10 commandments, rather than 10 explanations. Yet, He still expected them to do as He said while He was meeting with Moses and giving him more details. And when they disregarded His "say so" He almost wiped them out for it.

The Biblical evidence is that God's word is binding, with or without an explanation.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105590
12/05/08 05:26 AM
12/05/08 05:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I gave this historical evidence earlier, but you didn't address it. I'll try again.

God gave the Israelites 10 commandments, rather than 10 explanations. Yet, He still expected them to do as He said while He was meeting with Moses and giving him more details. And when they disregarded His "say so" He almost wiped them out for it.

What is this from? Is this just your idea, or are you quoting this from something?

Quote:
The Biblical evidence is that God's word is binding, with or without an explanation.

I don't think God is like what you're implying. I think the ideas you are presenting here are diametrically opposed to those taught by Jesus when He said, "I no longer call you servants but friends."

It seems you and I have very different ideas as to God's character.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105597
12/05/08 05:59 AM
12/05/08 05:59 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

What is this from? Is this just your idea, or are you quoting this from something?

Exodus. Around the section the 10 commandments.

Quote:

I don't think God is like what you're implying. I think the ideas you are presenting here are diametrically opposed to those taught by Jesus when He said, "I no longer call you servants but friends."

While God is your buddy, God is my Daddy. Yes, we may have very different ideas.

Do you ever submit to your friends?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105599
12/05/08 07:07 AM
12/05/08 07:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Exodus doesn't say anything about 10 explanations. I disagree with your take on what happened in Exodus. I don't believe God "wipes people out" because they don't do what He says. Jesus Christ was the revelation of God. Did He wipe people out because they didn't do what He said? No, He allowed Himself to suffer the most atrocious death rather than "wipe them out." He could have "wiped them out," as He explained to Peter, but this simply isn't God's character, as Jesus explained:

Quote:
54And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.(Luke 9:54-56)

This is God's character! Rather than "wiping out" those who don't do what He says, He gives His life for them.

Quote:

While God is your buddy, God is my Daddy. Yes, we may have very different ideas.

Do you ever submit to your friends?

That God is our Father is not opposed to the idea that He is our friend. Abraham was called the "friend of God," and he is the father of all who believe.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105602
12/05/08 07:45 AM
12/05/08 07:45 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Exodus doesn't say anything about 10 explanations.

BINGO!

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 7 of 36 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!