HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105299
11/29/08 06:19 AM
11/29/08 06:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Does that make any sense? "Intelligent appreciation" is a good thing. In case you missed it, "intelligent appreciation" is a good thing.

I can understand your being frustrated, but let's keep the tone of the conversation friendly, OK?

Quote:
But I do not make it my god. My brain is too small and weak to trust its intelligence as the basis of my life. I would rather trust the God of heaven.

On the one hand, you say that "intelligent appreciation" is a good thing, even emphasizing the point, but on the other hand you write, "I would rather trust the God of heaven." This implies you perceive a tension between the two, that trusting in the God of heaven is better than intelligent appreciation. But if God desires intelligent appreciation, wouldn't it be the case that intelligent appreciation would be the fruit of trusting Him?

Quote:
How about you? If you read instructions in the Bible for which you could not discern an acceptable rationale, would you disregard it until you understood why?

If the instructions I read were something I didn't discern an acceptable rationale, there would have to be a reason I did not deem it acceptable. The two main criteria I would have would be the law of God, and the life and teachings of Christ. So there's a good chance I would disregard it, if I saw some disharmony there.

Here's a hypothetical question we may consider: If a voice told you to kill someone, would you do it?

A point I've been dwelling on is that God does not desire a slavish obedience. What is a slavish obedience? Isn't it the obedience of a slave, who does something simply because his master says, "do!"? He doesn't question, or even think, about they why; he just does what he's told.

I hear Jesus say that we are "not servants, but friends,"

Quote:
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.(John 15:15)

This seems to me to be diametrically opposed to a slavish disobedience. What's the difference between a slavish disobedience and the obedience of a friend? It seems to me it's that a slave just does, whereas a friend is given a confidence.

You've mentioned that you see Ed. 278.1 as a temporary situation, on the way to Ed. 278.2. So may I infer from this is that the only thing you are disagreeing with me is regarding 278.1? Or, to phrase this question another way, let's say I agreed with you regarding Ed. 278.1, would you then be in agreement with me?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105427
12/02/08 01:34 AM
12/02/08 01:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree with the point Arnold made regarding making our ability to grasp and comprehend why God commands us to obey Him the criteria of rendering obedience. It is better to obey than to delay. It is better to obey now and to ask questions later.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105430
12/02/08 02:04 AM
12/02/08 02:04 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
It is better to obey than to delay.

I like that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105434
12/02/08 02:36 AM
12/02/08 02:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is assuming we can obey without understanding. It seems unlikely to me this is even possible. For example, consider the commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." How can this be kept without understanding?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105439
12/02/08 04:24 AM
12/02/08 04:24 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
This is assuming we can obey without understanding. It seems unlikely to me this is even possible. For example, consider the commandment "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." How can this be kept without understanding?

While understanding its full meaning may take a while, one can immediately obey what is clearly written: don't work on the Sabbath, don't have people work for you on the Sabbath, etc. Not understanding the fine details is no excuse to disregard the obvious.

Let's look at another commandment: Thou shalt not kill. Jesus said that if you hate your brother, you have killed him. The SOP tells us that killing oneself slowly by unhealthy habits constitutes breaking that command. Many people, including SDAs, do not understand those fine details. Does that mean that one who doesn't really know all that the law entails should feel free to whack his annoying neighbor, since he doesn't really understand that law anyway?

In my view, the answer is a definite No. You might not understand all there is to understand, but you can do what you know. So if God tells you not to eat a certain fruit, stay away from it even if you don't understand why. If you obey, you may survive long enough to find out why.

Take the commandment against idols. A few weeks after God gave that one, the Israelites were bowing down to a golden calf. Can we say that the Israelites fully understood the command against idolatry? I've been thinking about that commandment for years, and I'm pretty sure I still don't fully understand it; I doubt the Israelites, fresh out of slavery, had much of an idea after a few weeks. However, God still required them to obey, and when they broke its obvious requirement, they got in big trouble.

So, back to the 4th commandment, if God says to keep the Sabbath day, we should trust that He knows what He's talking about, and He's looking out for our best interests, and do what He says to the best of our ability and knowledge. Disregarding His plain command will be painful for you, because if it wasn't, He wouldn't have commanded what He did. You just have to trust Him if you lack understanding.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105443
12/02/08 05:51 AM
12/02/08 05:51 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You wrote this earlier:

Quote:
For example, my father does not keep the Sabbath. Why? Because he, along with the rest of his church, does not see any reason why God would require it. They believe that every day is as holy as any other. They are too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding.

You write that your father, and other's are "too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding." because they feel every day is as holy as any other. What would you have them to do? Keep the Sabbath, even though they have no conviction it is a holy day? Why would they do this? Why would this please God?

Quote:
Disregarding His plain command will be painful for you, because if it wasn't, He wouldn't have commanded what He did. You just have to trust Him if you lack understanding.

Wouldn't it be better to gain understanding?

Quote:
But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you.(James 1:5)

If God takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience, why would He want us to obey without understanding? Or, to ask another question, what would it say about God to suggest that He would want us to do what He says without caring if we understand why?

Jesus said that we were no longer servants, but friends, because He communicated to us all that He had received from His Father. Doesn't this suggest that God wants us to cooperate with Him from a foundation of understanding?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105446
12/02/08 07:59 AM
12/02/08 07:59 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You wrote this earlier:

Quote:
For example, my father does not keep the Sabbath. Why? Because he, along with the rest of his church, does not see any reason why God would require it. They believe that every day is as holy as any other. They are too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding.

You write that your father, and other's are "too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding." because they feel every day is as holy as any other. What would you have them to do? Keep the Sabbath, even though they have no conviction it is a holy day? Why would they do this? Why would this please God?

Answer this first: Did God just command that on a whim, like some kind of arbitrary requirement? Or did He have a good reason to do it?

Your questions seem to imply that disregarding what God commanded is not inherently bad, as if God arbitrarily imposes bad consequences for going against His stated instructions.

Last edited by asygo; 12/02/08 08:00 AM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105447
12/02/08 08:11 AM
12/02/08 08:11 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Disregarding His plain command will be painful for you, because if it wasn't, He wouldn't have commanded what He did. You just have to trust Him if you lack understanding.

Wouldn't it be better to gain understanding?

Quote:
But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you.(James 1:5)

If God takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience, why would He want us to obey without understanding? Or, to ask another question, what would it say about God to suggest that He would want us to do what He says without caring if we understand why?

Gaining understanding is surely better. But I do not hold the view that I can understand everything God has in mind. Like Paul, I often see that His ways are past finding out.

You seem to see only two extreme options: we understand everything, or God doesn't care if we understand anything. You are missing a ginormous area in between. That's where most of us live.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105448
12/02/08 08:35 AM
12/02/08 08:35 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Jesus said that we were no longer servants, but friends, because He communicated to us all that He had received from His Father. Doesn't this suggest that God wants us to cooperate with Him from a foundation of understanding?

Jesus also said that God is our Father. And as any father will tell you, even the best children are, obviously, still children. When they ask "why" (and they do that a lot), you want to help them understand, but there are times when the situation is beyond their capacity to understand. For such cases, for their own safety and well-being, they need to trust that Daddy knows best, even if they don't understand. It's basic father stuff.

As for being friends, when my friends seek my help, they trust that my advice to them is for their good. They don't need (and often don't want) me to go into the details of electromagnetic theory and Newton's laws of motion before they will follow my advice to defrag their drives to improve computer performance. Our relationship as friends gives them peace of mind, even without asking why, because they trust me.

Those who don't trust me always ask lots of questions before obeying. And when the math gets too difficult and they can't handle it anymore, they stop listening to the explanation. And the tell-tale sign that they don't trust me? They don't follow my instructions.

Yes, God wants a foundation of understanding. But more fundamental than that, God wants a foundation of faith. Grace comes through faith, not understanding. Even those who are too dumb to understand, and I fall into this category for many things, can still partake of God's grace through faith.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105467
12/02/08 10:52 PM
12/02/08 10:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But more fundamental than that, God wants a foundation of faith.

Agreed. The foundation of faith is a right concept of God's character.

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. (GC 543)

God desires an obedience based on a right conception of His character, which is the foundation of faith. This agrees with the idea that He does not desire a slavish obedience, one which is not based on understanding.

Page 6 of 36 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!