HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 36 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105865
12/09/08 07:16 PM
12/09/08 07:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, it sounds like you're saying God expects us to obey Him so long as we understand at least one of all the reasons why. You also seem to think that expecting us to obey Him because He said so does not count as a reason why, that obeying Him simply because He said so would constitute slavish obedience, something God would never expect or require of us. Did I hear you right?

You've mentioned a few times you believe God's goal is for us to obey Him as friends rather than as servants. You seem to think the difference has to do fully informed obedience versus partially informed obedience. But, in cases where God has only revealed some of the reasons why, wouldn't it be impossible to obey Him as friends rather than as servants?

So the question is - If God is okay with people obeying Him as servants, because He hasn't revealed enough reasons to obey Him as friends, why would obedience under such circumstances be viewed less favorably since it is God who is to blame?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105871
12/09/08 11:11 PM
12/09/08 11:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, it sounds like you're saying God expects us to obey Him so long as we understand at least one of all the reasons why. You also seem to think that expecting us to obey Him because He said so does not count as a reason why, that obeying Him simply because He said so would constitute slavish obedience, something God would never expect or require of us. Did I hear you right?

We should obey God if we are convicted to do so. Such conviction should include reason as an element, as God does not desire a slavish obedience from us. I don't believe it is enough for *God* to give a command to us for no other reason than "I said so."

Quote:
You've mentioned a few times you believe God's goal is for us to obey Him as friends rather than as servants.

I've quoted what Jesus said, that He has called us "not servants but friends," and that He explained the reason why as being because a servant does not know what His master is doing. I have suggested that EGW's statement that God does not desire a slavish obedience from us is in harmony with Jesus' teaching.

Quote:
You seem to think the difference has to do fully informed obedience versus partially informed obedience.

No. I don't think I've written anything to indicate this. I've been discussing the difference between an obedience in which reason plays no part vs. an obedience in which reason does play a part.

Quote:
But, in cases where God has only revealed some of the reasons why, wouldn't it be impossible to obey Him as friends rather than as servants?

No.

Quote:
So the question is - If God is okay with people obeying Him as servants, because He hasn't revealed enough reasons to obey Him as friends, why would obedience under such circumstances be viewed less favorably since it is God who is to blame?

Your premise is false. God isn't OK with what you're suggesting; He does not desire a slavish obedience.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105878
12/10/08 01:42 AM
12/10/08 01:42 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
But the problem is that you are advocating disobeying God's clear instructions until YOU are good and ready to obey.

No, I've never said this.

Then what do you mean when you say that my father is right to not keep the 7th day, even though it is clear that God said to keep the 7th day, just because he doesn't think there's a good enough reason to do it? And having been an SDA for 20 years, he's probably heard a few sermons and studies on this. But then, it's not just the Sabbath that is unnecessary, but all of God's law.

BTW, the leader of his church was an SDA elder for many years, running countless evangelistic and revival meetings. His father was a pastor who was very prominent in the Filipino SDA community. His father-in-law was such an influential figure in the history of Adventism in the Philippines that the book he wrote on evangelism is the standard text used to this day among the lay people, and is referred to, not by the title, but by the author's last name. So it's not likely that ignorance is a factor there either.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105893
12/10/08 06:21 AM
12/10/08 06:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:But the problem is that you are advocating disobeying God's clear instructions until YOU are good and ready to obey.

T:No, I've never said this.

A:Then what do you mean when you say that my father is right to not keep the 7th day, even though it is clear that God said to keep the 7th day, just because he doesn't think there's a good enough reason to do it?

Not if it wasn't clear to him.

Regarding the rest of your post, I wasn't commenting on any of this, but simply on the point that I quoted, which had to do with your comment that your father was "too proud to think that God can require their obedience before He requires their understanding."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105903
12/10/08 05:25 PM
12/10/08 05:25 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
A:But the problem is that you are advocating disobeying God's clear instructions until YOU are good and ready to obey.

A:Then what do you mean when you say that my father is right to not keep the 7th day, even though it is clear that God said to keep the 7th day, just because he doesn't think there's a good enough reason to do it?

That assumes that God gives unclear instructions. I think He is more competent than that.

And that assumes my father can't understand plain English. I can guarantee that he is more competent than that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105910
12/10/08 08:28 PM
12/10/08 08:28 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Quote:

That assumes that God gives unclear instructions. I think He is more competent than that.

snipped

not really, i dont think. i was born into this church, like many others, and "knew" our doctrines and beliefs. but over the years ive had "aha" moments, then i did know.

before i didnt understand how people could not see the importance of the sabbath or see it clearly but i can better now. it doesnt have anything to do with "Gods competence". it has to do with our mental dullness for one and with the fact that God works on us individually. i mean God may be working on other issues with any particular individual.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: teresaq] #105926
12/11/08 02:43 AM
12/11/08 02:43 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: asygo

snipped

not really, i dont think. i was born into this church, like many others, and "knew" our doctrines and beliefs. but over the years ive had "aha" moments, then i did know.

before i didnt understand how people could not see the importance of the sabbath or see it clearly but i can better now. it doesnt have anything to do with "Gods competence". it has to do with our mental dullness for one and with the fact that God works on us individually. i mean God may be working on other issues with any particular individual.

I've had my aha moments as well. There were times of clarity when I said, "Oh, so that's what He meant about keeping the day holy."

However, there has never been a time when I said, "Oh, so He meant don't go to work when He said 'thou shalt not do any work' on the Sabbath" or "Oh, so He meant the seventh day when He said 'seventh day,' not any day I want."

There are some things that are clearer than others. But confusion in the things that are unclear is not a license to disregard the things that are clear.

I should note that there were times when I did go to work on the Sabbath. But that was not because I didn't understand, but because I rebelled.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105928
12/11/08 02:50 AM
12/11/08 02:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

Communication involves a sender and receiver. The sender in this case is competent, but not necessarily the receiver.

Quote:
And that assumes my father can't understand plain English. I can guarantee that he is more competent than that.

I was just taking your statement at fact value. As I pointed out, I'm not privy to additional information.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105931
12/11/08 03:19 AM
12/11/08 03:19 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Communication involves a sender and receiver. The sender in this case is competent, but not necessarily the receiver.

Right. And your stance makes your obedience dependent on your competence. I don't trust my competence that much.

If I were you, I would obey, regardless of my competence or lack thereof. Walk in the light you have, and you'll be better able to receive more light to clear up any confusion.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105936
12/11/08 08:00 AM
12/11/08 08:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:That assumes that God gives unclear instructions. I think He is more competent than that.

T:Communication involves a sender and receiver. The sender in this case is competent, but not necessarily the receiver.

A:Right. And your stance makes your obedience dependent on your competence. I don't trust my competence that much.

Obedience depends upon faith. Faith depends upon understanding. You don't need to put trust, or have faith, in your competence, but trust, or faith, depends upon understanding.

God has given to each one a measure of faith. He has made us in His image, with the ability to reason. God desires that we use our ability to reason to weigh the evidence and act accordingly. He does not desire a slavish obedience which does not involve the mind or reason. This isn't to say that faith is only reason, or understanding, but these are certainly elements of faith.

Quote:
If I were you, I would obey, regardless of my competence or lack thereof. Walk in the light you have, and you'll be better able to receive more light to clear up any confusion.

If you have no understanding, you have no light; you just have darkness.

Page 9 of 36 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!