HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105706
12/07/08 05:32 AM
12/07/08 05:32 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
A:Why would God be precluded from forgiving without the death of Jesus? M:Because law and justice demand death for sin and God upholds His law which is a transcript of His character.

Given the law is a transcript of God's character, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin?

A second question that comes to mind is that the mere fact that it's necessary to demand death for sin implies that sin does not result in death. Given that sin is based on selfishness, how is it possible that a person could sin, which involves living for self and separating oneself from God, and still live?

God demands death for sin for the good of the Universe. A law worth having is worth enforcing. An unenforced law is a worthless law.

Also, the fact God had to prevent sinners from eating from the tree of life and living forever makes it clear sin is not what kills sinners. God will employ three of different types of fire in executing justice at the end of time - 1) fire from above, 2) fire from below, and 3) the fire light of His radiant brightness.

PS - I was on page 16 when I posted the post in question. It appeared on the top of page 17 without my knowing it until now.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Aaron] #105710
12/07/08 06:04 AM
12/07/08 06:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Aaron
MM I have always understood things in the terms that you describe. As in God has an imposed law and humans broke it so now God's justice demands that we must pay the price with our life. But Jesus begged God to let Him bear the punishment for us. So what we have is an angry God whose justice must be appeased and Jesus takes that for us and is killed by the Father for our sins. So now when the Father looks at us He sees the Son and not us.

The wrath of God is love, therefore, the "anger" you referred to is unlike anything we know. It is divine. God labors long and hard to woo and win us with His love. The blessed Godhead covenanted to lovingly and voluntarily pay our sin debt of death on the cross. This accomplishes four very necessary things - 1) it protects and preserves the integrity of the law, 2) it satisfies the just and loving demands of law and justice, 3) it makes pardon for past sins possible, and 4) it enables God to empower sinners to repent and experience salvation.

The implementation and accomplishment of these four things also serve to vindicate God's kingdom and character thereby disproving Satan's accusations thus sealing his fate in the lake of fire. God's primary goal is to restore law and order and peace and happiness to the universe and in so doing He disproves Satan's accusations. He is not so selfish as to make His vindication the primary goal. Love is what drives God to save the penitent and to punish and destroy the impenitent. And, love "seeketh not her own." It is always and forever others-oriented.

There are some problems with the penal model though. One is that we dont actually get fixed and innocent die for the guilty, another is that we have two parts of the Trinity seemingly working against each other, a third is that it doesnt reveal, to me at least, a very loving picture of God.

Mrs. White says
“The atonement of Christ is not a mere skillful way to have our sins pardoned; it is a divine remedy for the cure of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health. It is the Heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us but in our hearts and characters (Letter 406, 1906).” {6BC 1074.2}

That's why I usually steer away from titles like "penal model" or whatever. I prefer to describe what the plan of salvation accomplishes for everyone involved - God, angels, humans, and all the other unfallen beings God created.

Lately I have been trying to wrap my mind around a different model, one that could be called the medical healing model. As this is a new thing for myself Im still trying to fully grasp it. It is a model that is supported and fully explained by the Good News Tour. Imagine Adam and Eve chose as their sin something that caused them to be infected with HIV and from then on everyone born after them was born infected with HIV. Then Christ comes and while his body has HIV His immune system is perfect and He fights off the infection completely. Now He offers this via a transfusion of the antibodies from the Holy Spirit to us so that we can be HIV free as well. Christ’s blood is symbolic of the truth, the truth about God which removes the lies which break trust and then when we trust Him He pours Himself into our minds/hearts through the HS and purges the selfishness by filling us with love. We are literally healed and transformed from people who would kill others to save self to people who would give their lives to save others.

What I described above includes the healing aspect you talk about here. However, your HIV analogy does not take into account past sins. God cannot justifiably ignore them. Death must come in consequence of sin. It is necessary to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. Thus, Jesus had to die. It was not an option since God's desire is to pardon and save penitent sinners.

As for the questions, I think God can forgive us even if we are lost. If we display Christlike love, shouldnt we forgive people that have wronged us even if they dont want forgiveness?

There is a huge difference between humans forgiving humans and God forgiving humans. When we forgive each other it does not result in pardon and salvation. God cannot forgive us if we refuse to repent and experience the free gift of salvation (which includes confessing and crucifying our cultivated sinful traits and habits, being born again, abiding in Jesus, and maturing daily in the fruits of the Spirit).

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105720
12/07/08 09:12 AM
12/07/08 09:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:Why would God be precluded from forgiving without the death of Jesus?

M:Because law and justice demand death for sin and God upholds His law which is a transcript of His character.

T:Given the law is a transcript of God's character, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin?

A second question that comes to mind is that the mere fact that it's necessary to demand death for sin implies that sin does not result in death. Given that sin is based on selfishness, how is it possible that a person could sin, which involves living for self and separating oneself from God, and still live?

MM, you didn't address my questions. The first question addresses God's character. It is asking what about God's character causes Him to demand death for sin. You said absolutely nothing about God's character in your response. Also your response is just begging the same question I'm asking. You say that a law worth having is worth enforcing. Why is killing someone if they sin a law worth having? And why did God make this law in the first place? In other words, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin?

You cannot reference the law in your response to this question, because the law is a transcript of God's character. The response to this question should only reference God's character, not the law.

Here's my second question:

Quote:
Given that sin is based on selfishness, how is it possible that a person could sin, which involves living for self and separating oneself from God, and still live?

You didn't address this question.

By the way, your logic is flawed in what you said. You said:

Quote:
The fact God had to prevent sinners from eating from the tree of life and living forever makes it clear sin is not what kills sinners.

Consider some poison which has an antidote. If the person doesn't take the antidote, they die. The antidote represents the tree of life. The poison represents sin. Here's how your sentence reads, with these substitutions:

The fact God had to prevent sinners from taking the antidote makes it clear that poison does not kill.

Do you see the logical problem here? If sin were *not* deadly, *then* God would not have had to take action to prevent access to the tree of life. It is precisely because sin *is* deadly that action had to be taken.

Quote:
PS - I was on page 16 when I posted the post in question. It appeared on the top of page 17 without my knowing it until now.

Ok. I suggest looking at what you post after you post it. I know it's not always possible to do this. I've made goofs like this too. It's just this particular thing has come up a number of times, where there's a reference to stuff on a previous page. This happens to me too. When I notice it, I go back and grab more stuff so it's easier for the person reading it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105721
12/07/08 09:21 AM
12/07/08 09:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is directed towards Aaron, so I'm skipping most of it, but thought I'd comment on this last piece.

Quote:
A:As for the questions, I think God can forgive us even if we are lost. If we display Christlike love, shouldnt we forgive people that have wronged us even if they dont want forgiveness?

M:There is a huge difference between humans forgiving humans and God forgiving humans. When we forgive each other it does not result in pardon and salvation. God cannot forgive us if we refuse to repent and experience the free gift of salvation (which includes confessing and crucifying our cultivated sinful traits and habits, being born again, abiding in Jesus, and maturing daily in the fruits of the Spirit).

What do you say there's a vast difference? Jesus said we should forgive others as we have been forgiven. If there were a "vast difference," this wouldn't be possible. The fact that Jesus taught us to forgive the transgressions of others as God has forgiven our transgressions means there is a vast similarity, not a vast difference.

You say that when a human forgives another human that this does not result in pardon. "Pardon" means "forgiveness." So you are saying that when a human forgives another human, this does not result in forgiveness.

You say God cannot forgive us if we refuse to repent. The same thing is true among humans. There's no difference.

If you wrong me, our relationship cannot be restored unless you repent. I cannot forgive you unless you wish to be forgiven. I can be disposed to forgive you, which is what we really mean when we say, "I forgive you," but pardon, or forgiveness, cannot be granted unless there is a desire for it by the offending party.

In exactly the same sense that we "forgive" someone else (which really means we are disposed to forgive them, if they wish it) when they have wronged us (before the time they repent), so God "forgives" us (or is disposed to forgive us).

2 Cor. 5:19 brings this out:

Quote:
God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.

This is what forgiveness is (from the standpoint of the wronged party), not counting a person's wrong-doings against them. Precisely what God has done for us is what He wants us to do for others. "Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105725
12/07/08 01:35 PM
12/07/08 01:35 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Regarding my objections to the penal theory, there are several. First of all, it's not an historically viable theory. It's similar, in this sense, to trying to have Ellen White be a prelapsarian.

This point was already discussed in this thread (post 99932 onward).

Quote:
Another objection is that it obfuscates the real issue, which involves the vindication of His character, as well as the healing of man.

The opposite is true. Only those who understand the enormity of the price paid on the cross to save man can appreciate how great God’s love is, and only those who so appreciate His love can be really healed and see the truth of God's character in its fullest revelation.

Quote:
Another objection is that it presents God's character in a negative light, thus working against the Great Controversy, where the truth of God's character needs to be revealed. The theory is that God cannot forgive sin without someone being killed because the law requires death as a penalty for sin. But the law is simply a transcript of God's character. So this is tantamount to saying that God cannot forgive unless someone is killed.

Why, after we have discussed this so many times, you still insist in presenting things under a false light? It’s not that God cannot forgive unless someone is killed. The problem is that every sin affects the whole universe, and God cannot leave sin unjudged. However, when God judges sin the sinner is crushed under the weight of his guilt. Yes, death is the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
Another objection is that it leads to the idea that something needs to be done on God's behalf as far as our reconciliation with Him is concerned.

Yes, God needed a solution for judging sin and upholding His law without leading the sinner to death.

Quote:
Another objection is that it isn't just. No law will allow a guilty person to roam free while an innocent person serves his sentence.

Again, after so many discussions, why not represent the penal substitution view correctly? The Author of the law and the Creator of man took the penalty of His own law on Himself. He underwent the judgment in our place.

Quote:
Another objection is that it leads to much of Scripture being seen through tunnel vision. For example, we read Christ exclaim "It Is Finished." To many who believe in the penal theory this means "Christ finished paying the penalty of the law so that God can forgive us."

Christ finished the part He had agreed to do in the plan of salvation to save man – and the universe.

Quote:
A final objection is that it doesn't recognize the reality of sin's lethality. Sin isn't seen as something which leads to death, but as something which has a penalty, which is death.

Both are true, not just one of them.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Rosangela] #105757
12/08/08 12:01 AM
12/08/08 12:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Regarding my objections to the penal theory, there are several. First of all, it's not an historically viable theory. It's similar, in this sense, to trying to have Ellen White be a prelapsarian.

R:This point was already discussed in this thread (post 99932 onward).

Thank you for providing the link. That was convenient. I read through the posts, and couldn't find any reference suggesting that God could not legally forgive except by way of Christ's death. I saw comments making references to quotes, but no actual quotes themselves. For example, the following was written:

Quote:
The are a host of metaphors to be found in the fathers - including some that St. Gregory would not have particularly cared for. The payment to the Father for a debt owed to Him is not a dominant image in Eastern liturgical usage, that is the lex orandi. Certainly not on the scale that you would find later in the West.

Other metaphors are far more dominant.
The difference, it seems to me, is that some modern Western Christians have made a minor metaphor into a dogma, even writing it into statements of faith that people must subscribe to in order to teach in their schools, etc. It has been raised to the level of dogma, a status never given to a particular atonement metaphor by the Orthodox Church.

To which you concluded:

Quote:
So the truth is not that the idea was not present in the patristic literature, but that it was not raised to the level of a dogma in the Eastern Church as it was in the West.

which seems a stretch. First of all, no actual quote was cited. Secondly, the dogma was something which would occur well in the future, not something which was happening at this time.

When considering the historical viability of the theory, it's not simply a matter of considering what happened in the early centuries after Christ, but during the time of Christ, when the NT was being written. The following cite points out that the "ransom" referred to by Mark was not a penal substitutionary sacrifice for sin:

Quote:
To say that Jesus gave "his life a ransom for many" means he gave his life as a means of liberation from bondage. The context of the passage in Mark supports this reading. The preceding verses are a critique of the domination system: the rulers of the nations lord it over their subjects, and their great ones are tyrants (10:42). "It is not so among you," Jesus says, and then uses his own path as an illustration. In contrast to the rulers of this world, "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a lutron—a means of liberation—for many." And this is a path for his followers to imitate: so it shall be "among you."

Thus Mark does not understand the death of Jesus as a substitutionary sacrifice for sin. Claims to the contrary can only point to a mistaken reading of the single passage we have just explored.

How then does Mark understand Jesus' death? As his story of Good Friday reports, he sees Jesus' death as an execution by the authorities because of his challenge to the domination system. The decision of the temple authorities to take action against him was made after his disruptive act in the temple. These local collaborators handed him over to imperial authority, which then crucified him on a charge that was simultaneously and indissolubly political and religious: "King of the Jews."

As such, Mark understands Jesus' death as a judgment on the authorities and the temple. The "chief priests, elders, and scribes" have killed him, just as Jesus said they would. Judgment is indicated by the fact that, as Jesus dies, darkness comes over the city and land, and the great curtain in the temple is torn in two. And a Roman centurion pronounces judgment against his own empire, which has just killed Jesus: "Truly this man—and not the emperor—is God's Son."
(http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2006/03/Jesus-Death-Ransom-Or-Sacrifice.aspx)

Crossen, in his book, "In search of Paul," points out that the penal substitution idea of sacrifice did not exist in the time of Paul.

Jesus Himself never taught this idea. He taught that we should forgive others as we have been forgiven. He didn't teach that His death was necessary in order for God to forgive us.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105758
12/08/08 12:22 AM
12/08/08 12:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Another objection is that it obfuscates the real issue, which involves the vindication of His character, as well as the healing of man.

R:The opposite is true. Only those who understand the enormity of the price paid on the cross to save man can appreciate how great God’s love is, and only those who so appreciate His love can be really healed and see the truth of God's character in its fullest revelation.

First of all, it looks like you missed the point I was making, which may be my fault in not making it clear. It obfuscates the real issue in the penal substitution adherents routinely talk of nothing else. They don't talk of God's love shining from the cross motivating us to give our lives for Him. On this forum, I can only think of myself making this point. I don't think anyone disagrees with this idea, but nobody else makes it. Similarly, nobody makes the point that the sacrifice of Christ revealed God's character, and this is how the Great Controversy is won. Even if the penal substitution theory were true, surely the fact that the sacrifice of Christ wins the Great Controversy should dwarf this in importance.

Indeed, if one considers the chapter "It Is Finished" from "The Desire of Ages," one sees that the penal substitution idea is barely mentioned, if at all. That is, there is one portion of a paragraph which has language which could be construed as penal language, or conveying the penal theme. Even if one conceded this as discussing the penal idea, there are seven pages in this chapter, and 6 9/10 of these pages are not discussing the penal idea at all. Yet when the question of what "It Is Finished" means, what I see is invariably an explanation involving the penalty of our sin being paid for so that God can forgive us, and nothing else.

Regarding your point that "the opposite is true" that "Only those who understand the enormity of the price paid on the cross to save man can appreciate how great God’s love is, and only those who so appreciate His love can be really healed and see the truth of God's character in its fullest revelation." I would certainly agree that this is true, but strongly dispute your unstated but implied point that only those who hold to the penal view can understand the enormity of the price paid on the cross.

The following is from Ty Gibson's book "See With New Eyes"

Quote:
The forsakenness Christ felt on the cross is here graphically portrayed so that we might know the cost of our redemption. It is evident from this messianic passage that jesus entered a period of severe testing, during which the true character of His love would be proven or conquered. Enveloped within the impenetrable darkness of our guilt, He could not see beyond His death to the other side of the tomb--"I am shut up, and I cannot get out." Crushed under the weight of our sin, the bright hope of resurrection morning eluded His grasp. Faced with the bleak prospect of eternal separation from His Father, still He did not shrink back. he made the conscious choice to value our eternal life more than His own. If it meant that He would never again enjoy the pleasure of His Father's presence, so bt it. Even that fate He would be willing to endure for our salvation. (p. 82)

This is from the chapter "Love Beyond Knowledge." The whole chapter deals with the them of what the sacrifice of Christ cost, and Ty has devoted other chapters to this same theme, from both this book and other books. It's obvious he understands the idea.

I could substantiate this idea from any other authors. I can only wonder why you would have the idea that one must be a penal substitution adherent to understand the cost of our salvation.

There's another aspect to the cost of our salvation, which is brought out here:

Quote:
The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

God actually risked losing Christ forever for our salvation. Your idea of God's foreknowledge prevents you from appreciating this truth, but it's something that amazes me no end. Christ on the cross revealed not only the cost that He Himself paid, but the cost to God as well. He revealed this to us by revealing God's character. God loves us to the point of sacrifice, sacrificing His all, even His only Son.

No, one does not need to be a penal substitution adherent to appreciate this wonderful truth!

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105759
12/08/08 12:38 AM
12/08/08 12:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Another objection is that it presents God's character in a negative light, thus working against the Great Controversy, where the truth of God's character needs to be revealed. The theory is that God cannot forgive sin without someone being killed because the law requires death as a penalty for sin. But the law is simply a transcript of God's character. So this is tantamount to saying that God cannot forgive unless someone is killed.

R:Why, after we have discussed this so many times, you still insist in presenting things under a false light? It’s not that God cannot forgive unless someone is killed. The problem is that every sin affects the whole universe, and God cannot leave sin unjudged. However, when God judges sin the sinner is crushed under the weight of his guilt. Yes, death is the inevitable result of sin.

You are disagreeing with the idea that someone must be killed in order for God to forgive? So Christ did not have to die in order for God to forgive us? What's your idea than?

I don't know how you can say I'm presenting the penal substitution idea in a false light. This is from wiki (so you know it must be right):

Quote:
(Penal substitution) argues that Christ, by his own sacrificial choice, was punished (penalised) in the place of sinners (substitution), thus satisfying the demands of justice so God can justly forgive the sins.

This is what you believe, isn't it? Assuming this is so, then is it not correct to assert that under this view God needed someone to be killed (specifically Christ) in order to be able to pardon us?

Quote:
T:Another objection is that it leads to the idea that something needs to be done on God's behalf as far as our reconciliation with Him is concerned.

R:Yes, God needed a solution for judging sin and upholding His law without leading the sinner to death.

I think this statement is OK. However, this isn't something that needed to be done for God, but for us. One could put this in terms of something necessary for God in order for Him to be able to do something for us, but that's not the idea I'm addressing. I'm addressing the idea that God Himself, for His own purposes aside from what He would accomplish for us, needed the sacrifice of Christ (for example, in order to be reconciled to us.)

Quote:
T:Another objection is that it isn't just. No law will allow a guilty person to roam free while an innocent person serves his sentence.

R:Again, after so many discussions, why not represent the penal substitution view correctly? The Author of the law and the Creator of man took the penalty of His own law on Himself. He underwent the judgment in our place.

The isn't the standard formulation of the penal substitution idea. The way you have put it here is not so bad. I think I agree with this (although probably you and I would understand "penalty" differently). At any rate, this is certainly a better way of formulating the idea than how one normally hears it.

Quote:
Another objection is that it leads to much of Scripture being seen through tunnel vision. For example, we read Christ exclaim "It Is Finished." To many who believe in the penal theory this means "Christ finished paying the penalty of the law so that God can forgive us."

Christ finished the part He had agreed to do in the plan of salvation to save man – and the universe.

Which was primarily the "revelation of God," as the SOP points out in saying that this was the "whole purpose" of His mission on earth. Given that this is described as the "whole purpose" of His mission, one should at least concede that this was the principle purpose of His mission, shouldn't one?

Quote:
T:A final objection is that it doesn't recognize the reality of sin's lethality. Sin isn't seen as something which leads to death, but as something which has a penalty, which is death.

R:Both are true, not just one of them.

They can't both be true. If cyanide kills us because it is poison, then it doesn't not kill because capital punishment is given to those who take it. At the very least, if it is deadly, capital punishment would be unnecessarily redundant.

By the way, I agree with what you've said about how sin kills, in that the guilt accompanying it crushes the one with the sin when God reveals His righteousness. This isn't exactly how you put it, but it's the same (or very similar idea) to what you've expressed (and the way you express it is fine to me, I just don't remember exactly how you put it). Now given that sin is deadly in this way, why could we not simply say that the wicked receive death as the result of their choice (sin)?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105806
12/08/08 06:11 PM
12/08/08 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In other words, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin? You cannot reference the law in your response to this question, because the law is a transcript of God's character. The response to this question should only reference God's character, not the law.

But if His law and His character are one and the same thing how can I speak to the one and not to the other? That would be impossible, right? But the truth is there are differences. For example, God can pardon penitent sinners whereas the law cannot. God can save penitent sinners whereas the law cannot. And, God can empower penitent sinners to live righteously whereas the law cannot. In these critical ways the law and God are very different.

Now, why did God establish a law that requires Him to punish and destroy sinners? What is it about His character that caused Him to establish such a law? God is love – that’s why! Law and order means everything to Him. So much so that He gave His only begotten Son to protect and preserve its sacredness and integrity. To pardon and save sinners is only one aspect of God’s plan to make the Universe a safe and secure place for FMAs – to uplift and magnify His law is another aspect, a reason equally as important. Listen:

Quote:
God's love has been expressed in His justice no less than in His mercy. Justice is the foundation of His throne, and the fruit of His love. It had been Satan's purpose to divorce mercy from truth and justice. He sought to prove that the righteousness of God's law is an enemy to peace. But Christ shows that in God's plan they are indissolubly joined together; the one cannot exist without the other. "Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Ps. 85:10. {DA 762.3}

By His life and His death, Christ proved that God's justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan's charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love. {DA 762.4}

From the highest peaks men looked abroad upon a shoreless ocean. The solemn warnings of God's servant no longer seemed a subject for ridicule and scorning. How those doomed sinners longed for the opportunities which they had slighted! How they pleaded for one hour's probation, one more privilege of mercy, one call from the lips of Noah! But the sweet voice of mercy was no more to be heard by them. Love, no less than justice, demanded that God's judgments should put a check on sin. The avenging waters swept over the last retreat, and the despisers of God perished in the black depths. {PP 100.3}

There is also an aspect of divine retribution. Which is nothing like human retribution. Divine retribution is akin to righteous indignation. God is offended when sinners tread Jesus under foot and despise the blood of His sacrifice. Paul expresses these feelings in the following passage:

Quote:
Hebrews
10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Ellen White concurs. Listen:

Quote:
The power that inflicted retributive justice upon man's substitute and surety, was the power that sustained and upheld the suffering One under the tremendous weight of wrath that would have fallen upon a sinful world. Christ was suffering the death that was pronounced upon the transgressors of God's law. {5BC 1103.2}

It is a fearful thing for the unrepenting sinner to fall into the hands of the living God. This is proved by the history of the destruction of the old world by a flood, by the record of the fire which fell from heaven and destroyed the inhabitants of Sodom. But never was this proved to so great an extent as in the agony of Christ, the Son of the infinite God, when He bore the wrath of God for a sinful world. It was in consequence of sin, the transgression of God's law, that the Garden of Gethsemane has become pre-eminently the place of suffering to a sinful world. No sorrow, no agony, can measure with that which was endured by the Son of God. {5BC 1103.3}

Man has not been made a sin-bearer, and he will never know the horror of the curse of sin which the Saviour bore. No sorrow can bear any comparison with the sorrow of Him upon whom the wrath of God fell with overwhelming force. Human nature can endure but a limited amount of test and trial. The finite can only endure the finite measure, and human nature succumbs; but the nature of Christ had a greater capacity for suffering; for the human existed in the divine nature, and created a capacity for suffering to endure that which resulted from the sins of a lost world. The agony which Christ endured, broadens, deepens, and gives a more extended conception of the character of sin, and the character of the retribution which God will bring upon those who continue in sin. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ to the repenting, believing sinner (MS 35, 1895). {5BC 1103.4}

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105808
12/08/08 06:26 PM
12/08/08 06:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: The fact God had to prevent sinners from eating from the tree of life and living forever makes it clear sin is not what kills sinners.

T: Consider some poison which has an antidote. If the person doesn't take the antidote, they die. The antidote represents the tree of life. The poison represents sin. Here's how your sentence reads, with these substitutions: The fact God had to prevent sinners from taking the antidote makes it clear that poison does not kill. Do you see the logical problem here? If sin were *not* deadly, *then* God would not have had to take action to prevent access to the tree of life. It is precisely because sin *is* deadly that action had to be taken.

But the tree of life is not the antidote – Jesus is! Eating from the tree of life does not cure sin. Only Jesus can do that. The tree of life merely perpetuates life. That’s all. God denies sinners access to the tree of life as a blessing to prevent them from living forever in a sinful state. The fact they would live forever in a sinful state makes it clear sin is not what kills them. Otherwise, sin would kill them in spite of eating from the tree of life since it is not the antidote for sin.

A: As for the questions, I think God can forgive us even if we are lost. If we display Christlike love, shouldnt we forgive people that have wronged us even if they dont want forgiveness?

M: There is a huge difference between humans forgiving humans and God forgiving humans. When we forgive each other it does not result in pardon and salvation. God cannot forgive us if we refuse to repent and experience the free gift of salvation (which includes confessing and crucifying our cultivated sinful traits and habits, being born again, abiding in Jesus, and maturing daily in the fruits of the Spirit).

T: What do you say there's a vast difference? Jesus said we should forgive others as we have been forgiven. If there were a "vast difference," this wouldn't be possible. The fact that Jesus taught us to forgive the transgressions of others as God has forgiven our transgressions means there is a vast similarity, not a vast difference. You say that when a human forgives another human that this does not result in pardon. "Pardon" means "forgiveness." So you are saying that when a human forgives another human, this does not result in forgiveness.

When God pardons us it results in salvation and eternal life. Does that happen when you pardon someone?

Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!