HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105812
12/08/08 07:17 PM
12/08/08 07:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
It’s not that God cannot forgive unless someone is killed. The problem is that every sin affects the whole universe, and God cannot leave sin unjudged. However, when God judges sin the sinner is crushed under the weight of his guilt. Yes, death is the inevitable result of sin.

Rosangela, are you talking about Jesus' substitutionary death? Or, are you talking about the final execution of justice and judgment in the lake of fire? The reason I ask is due to the fact Jesus did indeed have to pay our sin debt of death in order to earn the legal right to pardon and save penitent sinners. Death must come in consequence of sin. Jesus satisfied this just and loving requirement.

God sacrificed His Son “that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” (Romans 3:26) “By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095) “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22) “Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Also, if the guilt of sin is enough to cause sinners to die instantly, why, then, didn't A&E die the instant they sinned? How did Eve live long enough to tempt Adam? "Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the Son of God." {1SM 230.1} "His brother Abel seeks to appease his wrath by contending for the compassion of God in saving the lives of their parents when He might have brought upon them immediate death." {SR 53.3}

Ellen says that death would have been immediately visited upon A&E had God not implemented the plan of salvation. If sin is what causes sinners to die, why, then, did God have to prevent them from eating the fruit of the tree of life (which would have made them immortal sinners)? "And now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever." (Gen 3:22)

And, why will it be necessary for God to expose sinners to the fire light of His radiant brightness at the end of time in order for them to suffer and die? Why not just leave them to their sins and let sin kill them (if that's how it works)?

Also, why will it be necessary for Him to rain down fire from above and raise up fire from below to punish them in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness? Why not just leave them to their sins and let sin kill them (if that's how it works)?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105818
12/08/08 08:20 PM
12/08/08 08:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:In other words, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin? You cannot reference the law in your response to this question, because the law is a transcript of God's character. The response to this question should only reference God's character, not the law.

MM:But if His law and His character are one and the same thing how can I speak to the one and not to the other?

They're not one and the same thing. A transcript is not the same thing as the thing it is a transcript of.

Regarding the rest of what you wrote, I don't see where it addresses my question. If the law is a transcript of God's character, and the law demands that a death sentence be effected before God can pardon (by the way, the law doesn't demand this), then this is tantamount to saying that there is something about God's character which causes Him to require death in order for Him to pardon someone.

What is it about God's character that doesn't allow Him to forgive us freely? (something Jesus says we should to; also which Jesus says God does for us).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105828
12/08/08 10:46 PM
12/08/08 10:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But the tree of life is not the antidote – Jesus is! Eating from the tree of life does not cure sin. Only Jesus can do that. The tree of life merely perpetuates life. That’s all. God denies sinners access to the tree of life as a blessing to prevent them from living forever in a sinful state. The fact they would live forever in a sinful state makes it clear sin is not what kills them. Otherwise, sin would kill them in spite of eating from the tree of life since it is not the antidote for sin.

You're talking about two different things here. In the analogy of sin with poison, the antitode would be the tree, which has healing properties. The cure for sin would be more like a stomach pump, which would remove the poison from the system.

Anyway, this whole argument is a non-starter. We know that sin causes death. Scripture tells us this all over the place, as does the SOP. "The soul that sins shall die." "The wages of sin is death." "Sin, when it is finished, brings forth death." "The sting of death is sin." "The inevitable result of sin is death." These are a few such statements.

Quote:
T: What do you say there's a vast difference? Jesus said we should forgive others as we have been forgiven. If there were a "vast difference," this wouldn't be possible. The fact that Jesus taught us to forgive the transgressions of others as God has forgiven our transgressions means there is a vast similarity, not a vast difference. You say that when a human forgives another human that this does not result in pardon. "Pardon" means "forgiveness." So you are saying that when a human forgives another human, this does not result in forgiveness.

MM:When God pardons us it results in salvation and eternal life. Does that happen when you pardon someone?

You didn't respond to the points I made or questions I asked. Jesus said we should pardon others as we have been pardoned. This speaks to a similarity, not a difference.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105901
12/10/08 04:13 PM
12/10/08 04:13 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:In other words, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin? You cannot reference the law in your response to this question, because the law is a transcript of God's character. The response to this question should only reference God's character, not the law.

MM:But if His law and His character are one and the same thing how can I speak to the one and not to the other?

T: They're not one and the same thing. A transcript is not the same thing as the thing it is a transcript of.

In what ways do you think the law and God's character are not the same?

Regarding the rest of what you wrote, I don't see where it addresses my question. If the law is a transcript of God's character, and the law demands that a death sentence be effected before God can pardon (by the way, the law doesn't demand this), then this is tantamount to saying that there is something about God's character which causes Him to require death in order for Him to pardon someone.

1. Correct. The law does not demand pardon. It demands death.

2. Above you said the law and God's character are not the same. Is it possible one of the ways they aren't the same is reflected in the fact the law requires death whereas God made pardon possible?

What is it about God's character that doesn't allow Him to forgive us freely? (something Jesus says we should to; also which Jesus says God does for us).

One needs to permission to freely forgive criminals worthy of death. No court of law has the power to freely forgive violent offenders without the consent and permission of a duly appointed jury acting under the guidance of established laws. God has bound Himself by His word to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.

What is it about God's character that compels Him to revere and uphold the laws He has instituted for the good of all? Love! It's as simple as that. "God is love." And, "love is the fulfillment of the law." Consequently, tough love causes God to do things He calls "strange acts", things is loathes to do. Retributive love is most likely the most difficult aspect of God's character to comprehend. Please refer to quotes I posted recently on this thread describing the retribution of God's love.

How does all of this relate to the topic - Suicide? Well, the law forbids murder, and suicide is a form of murder. But only God knows whether or not suicide victims repented before they died, thus only God knows whether or not they will be saved or punished in the end.

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105902
12/10/08 04:46 PM
12/10/08 04:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
We know that sin causes death.

Okay, so you're tree of life analogy failed to prove your point, so let's consider another one. A sad and angry husband catches his wife in the act of committing adultery and throws her over a cliff and she falls to her death. Question - What killed her? Did adultery kill her? Did her husband kill her? Or, did gravity kill her?

It is obvious to me that the sin of adultery is not what killed her. Nor is it what caused her to die. And, yet, I hear you saying sin causes death. But this certainly isn't true in this case. How do you explain this in light of what you believe about sin and death?

Jesus said we should pardon others as we have been pardoned. This speaks to a similarity, not a difference.

On the contrary, the word "similarity" implies differences. I pointed out two of the differences between humans forgiving one another and God forgiving them. Although you have yet to acknowledge the truthfulness of these words, I strongly suspect you nonetheless agree with them. As to the similarities, yes, it is our duty and privilege to freely forgive one another. That is, no one should have to pay to be forgiven. The price has already been paid on the cross. We cannot buy forgiveness for the simple reason it is not for sale. It is free.

BTW, what is the fruit of two evil angels forgiving one another? In what way is it similar to God's forgiveness?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #105911
12/10/08 08:28 PM
12/10/08 08:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:

T: They're not one and the same thing. A transcript is not the same thing as the thing it is a transcript of.

MM:In what ways do you think the law and God's character are not the same?

In the way that I stated.

Quote:

MM:
1. Correct. The law does not demand pardon. It demands death.

2. Above you said the law and God's character are not the same.

No, this is incorrect. *You* asked "But if His law and His character are one and the same thing" which is assuming a false premise, for the reason I stated.

Quote:
Is it possible one of the ways they aren't the same is reflected in the fact the law requires death whereas God made pardon possible?

As I pointed out, it's not necessary to discuss the law at all to answer my question. My question is, what is it about God's character that causes Him to require death before He will pardon?

Quote:
T:What is it about God's character that doesn't allow Him to forgive us freely? (something Jesus says we should to; also which Jesus says God does for us).

MM:One needs to permission to freely forgive criminals worthy of death. No court of law has the power to freely forgive violent offenders without the consent and permission of a duly appointed jury acting under the guidance of established laws. God has bound Himself by His word to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.

What is it about God's character that compels Him to revere and uphold the laws He has instituted for the good of all? Love! It's as simple as that. "God is love." And, "love is the fulfillment of the law." Consequently, tough love causes God to do things He calls "strange acts", things is loathes to do. Retributive love is most likely the most difficult aspect of God's character to comprehend. Please refer to quotes I posted recently on this thread describing the retribution of God's love.

MM, what is it about God's character that does not allow Him to forgive freely? Since the law is a transcript of God's character, you should be able to answer this question without reference to the law, right?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105916
12/10/08 10:38 PM
12/10/08 10:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:We know that sin causes death.

M:Okay, so you're tree of life analogy failed to prove your point, so let's consider another one.

Pardon? The point of the tree of life analogy was yours. You were trying to use it to disprove the idea that sin kills.

The way you are starting this is really hard to follow. What analogy are you talking about? What is it you think was not proved?

Quote:
A sad and angry husband catches his wife in the act of committing adultery and throws her over a cliff and she falls to her death. Question - What killed her? Did adultery kill her? Did her husband kill her? Or, did gravity kill her?

It is obvious to me that the sin of adultery is not what killed her. Nor is it what caused her to die. And, yet, I hear you saying sin causes death.

Scripture teaches this. I quoted you the texts. Ellen White stated the same:

Quote:
Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

The "inevitable result of sin" is death.

She speaks elsewhere of the "fatal effects" of sin. "Fatal" means "deadly," which is to say that it causes death.

Here's something from Waggoner:

Quote:
That death is the curse is evident from the last part of verse 13, "Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree." Christ was made a curse for us, in that He hung on a tree, that is, was crucified. But sin is the cause of death. "By one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Rom.5:12. "The sting of death is sin." 1Cor.15:56. So we have the substance of verse 10 thus, that those who do not continue in the things written in the law are dead. That is, disobedience is death. And this is what the Scripture says: "When lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." Sin contains death, and men out of Christ are "dead in trespasses and sins." It matters not that they walk about seemingly full of life, the words of Christ are, "Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you." John 6:53. "She that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." 1Tim.5:6. It is a living death--a body of death--that is endured. Rom.7:24. Sin is the transgression of the law; the wages of sin is death. The curse, therefore, is the death that is carried about concealed even in the most attractive sin. "Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." (The Glad Tidings)

Quote:
But this certainly isn't true in this case. How do you explain this in light of what you believe about sin and death?

Your example doesn't apply since the death that sin causes that we've been discussing is the second death.

Quote:
T:Jesus said we should pardon others as we have been pardoned. This speaks to a similarity, not a difference.

M:On the contrary, the word "similarity" implies differences.

??? The sentence "This speaks to a similarity, not a difference." implies similarity, not difference. If I had intended to imply there were differences, I certainly wouldn't have expressed myself the way I did!

Quote:
I pointed out two of the differences between humans forgiving one another and God forgiving them. Although you have yet to acknowledge the truthfulness of these words, I strongly suspect you nonetheless agree with them.

The point I was making was that Jesus told us to forgive others as God has forgiven us. The was "as" means "in the same way."

Quote:
As to the similarities, yes, it is our duty and privilege to freely forgive one another.

As God as forgive us. That's the point.

Quote:
That is, no one should have to pay to be forgiven.

Just as God didn't need to be paid.

Quote:
The price has already been paid on the cross.

But not for God's benefit, for ours. God did whatever was necessary in order for us to be willing to accept the pardon He was freely giving us. This speaks to how we should forgive others. We should be willing to do whatever self-sacrifice it takes to bring others to a repentant attitude, just as God has done for us in Christ.

Quote:
We cannot buy forgiveness for the simple reason it is not for sale. It is free.

BTW, what is the fruit of two evil angels forgiving one another?

Do they do this?

Quote:
In what way is it similar to God's forgiveness?

Do you have any evidence that they do this?

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Tom] #105921
12/11/08 01:27 AM
12/11/08 01:27 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
In other words, what is it about God's character that causes Him to demand death for sin?

You cannot reference the law in your response to this question, because the law is a transcript of God's character. The response to this question should only reference God's character, not the law.

Quote:
When all hope was excluded from Adam and Eve in consequence of transgression and sin, when justice demanded the death of the sinner, Christ gave Himself to be a sacrifice for the sin of the world. {FE 283.1}

Entire justice was done in the atonement. Christ was the object of that justice. In the place of the sinner, the spotless Son of God received the penalty, and the sinner goes free as long as he receives and holds Christ as his personal Saviour. Though guilty, he is looked upon as innocent. The character of God was shown to the world by the obedience and death of the Son of God. By His own merits Christ covered everything that the justice of God demanded. God's character as a God of holiness, a God of goodness, compassion, and love combined, was expressed in His Son. In the cross of Christ God gave the mightiest pledge of justice and love. {12MR 416.1}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: asygo] #105967
12/12/08 12:08 AM
12/12/08 12:08 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM, what is it about God's character that does not allow Him to forgive freely?

Justice! God is a God of justice and mercy. Justice will not allow Him to freely forgive impenitent sinners. He earned the right on the cross to freely forgive penitent sinners. He thereby satisfied the demands of justice. He also demands love and compassion. Listen:

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

God will soon vindicate His justice before the universe. His justice requires that sin shall be punished; His mercy grants that sin shall be pardoned through repentance and confession. Pardon can come only through His only begotten Son; Christ alone can expiate sin--and then only when sin is repented of and forsaken. {UL 49.5}

It is not justice alone that is to be maintained; for this would eclipse the glory of the rainbow of promise above the throne; men could see only the penalty of the law. Were there no justice, no penalty, there would be no stability to the government of God. It is the mingling of judgment and mercy that makes salvation complete. {Mar 326.2}

The penalty of transgression is always death. Christ averted the immediate execution of the death sentence by giving His life for man. . . . Justice requires that men shall have light, and it also requires that he who refuses to walk in the Heaven-given light, the giving of which cost the death of the Son of God, must receive punishment. {HP 153.3}

The penalty for the least transgression of that law is death, and but for Christ, the sinner's Advocate, it would be summarily visited on every offender. Justice and mercy are blended. Christ and the law stand side by side. The law convicts the transgressor, and Christ pleads in the sinner's behalf. {TDG 246.1}

[God] demands of you to love as Christ has loved souls. He demands of you compassion for the suffering, the erring, those who are subject to Satan's temptations. He demands of you kindness, courtesy to even the unfortunate, a generous consideration of the feelings of others. {SD 271.3}

Good deeds are the fruit that Christ requires us to bear: kind words, deeds of benevolence, of tender regard for the poor, the needy, the afflicted. {2T 25.1}

Re: Does God Punish Suicide? [Re: Mountain Man] #106023
12/13/08 08:55 PM
12/13/08 08:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM, what is it about God's character that does not allow Him to forgive freely?

Justice! God is a God of justice and mercy. Justice will not allow Him to freely forgive impenitent sinners.

This makes it sound like justice is some thing, greater than God, which does not allow God to forgive freely. Let me try to put what you said in terms of what my question asked. You are saying that because God is just, He cannot forgive freely. Is that right?

Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!