HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105938
12/11/08 08:09 AM
12/11/08 08:09 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If one believes that "Keep the seventh day holy by abstaining from work" is so complicated so as to make it impossible to obey, then it is he who has no understanding. Tom, you sound like my 10-year-old daughter when she's making up a bunch of excuses to avoiding doing that which she does not want to do.

Faith depends upon understanding - understanding God's character. If one has not the faith to obey God's word apart from the approval of fallen man, he has not the faith that will gain him entrance into eternal bliss, for his faith is in himself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #105940
12/11/08 08:50 AM
12/11/08 08:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
If one believes that "Keep the seventh day holy by abstaining from work" is so complicated so as to make it impossible to obey, then it is he who has no understanding.

Who is suggesting this?

Quote:
Tom, you sound like my 10-year-old daughter when she's making up a bunch of excuses to avoiding doing that which she does not want to do.

How so? Really, I don't understand why you would take the suggestion that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but wants us to obey Him based on reason and understanding as "making up a bunch of excuses" for doing something one does not wish to do.

The issue isn't us, but God. It is God who does not desire a slavish obedience. If He did, then He would ask us to do things for no reason.

Quote:
Faith depends upon understanding - understanding God's character. If one has not the faith to obey God's word apart from the approval of fallen man, he has not the faith that will gain him entrance into eternal bliss, for his faith is in himself.

I'm not seeing the connection here to our discussion, but I agree what you wrote here.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105950
12/11/08 04:56 PM
12/11/08 04:56 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
If one believes that "Keep the seventh day holy by abstaining from work" is so complicated so as to make it impossible to obey, then it is he who has no understanding.

Who is suggesting this?

You are, by saying that my father is correct in his disregard of God's plain instructions. You and he, apparently, both require convincing rather than commanding.

Quote:
Tom, you sound like my 10-year-old daughter when she's making up a bunch of excuses to avoiding doing that which she does not want to do.

How so? Really, I don't understand why you would take the suggestion that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but wants us to obey Him based on reason and understanding as "making up a bunch of excuses" for doing something one does not wish to do.

Those who have ever raised smart but unwise kids know exactly what I'm talking about. This is, whether you realize it or not, a parenting issue. God is our Father, but you think you are qualified to enter into His thought processes before you are required to obey. You're not that smart; none of us are. As the Bible said, His ways are past finding out.

The issue isn't us, but God. It is God who does not desire a slavish obedience. If He did, then He would ask us to do things for no reason.

But what you say God does not require, the Bible record has shown that He does. So my conclusion is that your understanding of "slavish obedience" is not the same as inspiration's. Your position is incongruent with the SOP I quoted about "blind obedience" and how God's army works.

Quote:

I'm not seeing the connection here to our discussion, but I agree what you wrote here.

Here's the connection: You require your own stamp of approval before you will do what God commands. For you, God's love and God's wisdom are insufficient reason to obey; you require a more compelling reason, namely, Tom's wisdom. That is trusting in the arm of flesh.

When my 10yo gets into this sort of foolishness, she is invariably unhappy. I point out to her that she feels that way because she has no peace, and that is because, deep down, she is scared that instead of being raised by wise parents, she is being raised by an unwise 10-year-old. When you make your understanding a requirement for obedience, you are being led by Tom, not the Spirit. And we know who are the children of God - those led by the Spirit.

Your persistence in thinking of God as a friend, while correct, has made you lose sight of the truth that He is our Father, first and foremost. It is a dangerous position you are in.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105991
12/12/08 06:29 PM
12/12/08 06:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
We should obey God if we are convicted to do so. Such conviction should include reason as an element, as God does not desire a slavish obedience from us. I don't believe it is enough for *God* to give a command to us for no other reason than "I said so."

In the case of the Sabbath commandment, God simply said rest because I rested. Is that reason enough to obey as a friend rather than as a servant or as a slave?

What about the stranger within thy gates? What is the status of their obedience - friend or servant or slave?

Is obeying God as a servant or as a slave acceptable to Him? Or, is it no better than rebelling?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105992
12/12/08 06:33 PM
12/12/08 06:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
. . . require convincing rather than commanding.

Nicely worded.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #106037
12/14/08 05:31 AM
12/14/08 05:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:If one believes that "Keep the seventh day holy by abstaining from work" is so complicated so as to make it impossible to obey, then it is he who has no understanding.

T:Who is suggesting this?

M:You are, by saying that my father is correct in his disregard of God's plain instructions. You and he, apparently, both require convincing rather than commanding.

Arnold, I'm an SDA. I don't know why you make this comment in regards to me. Obviously I don't believe the Sabbath commandment is over-complicated. Regarding your father, I said nothing of the sort that he was correct in his disregard of God's plain instructions. You said that he was too proud to believe God would require obedience without understanding. I took issue with what you said here. God does not desire a slavish obedience.

Regarding your convincing vs. commanding comment, we are told that God does not desire slavish obedience, and that Jesus said He calls us "friends, not servants. I agree with these sentiments.

There are untold numbers of Christians who do not keep the Sabbath. Do you think they are all guilty of what you accuse me and your father of?

Quote:
T:How so? Really, I don't understand why you would take the suggestion that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but wants us to obey Him based on reason and understanding as "making up a bunch of excuses" for doing something one does not wish to do.

A:Those who have ever raised smart but unwise kids know exactly what I'm talking about. This is, whether you realize it or not, a parenting issue. God is our Father, but you think you are qualified to enter into His thought processes before you are required to obey. You're not that smart; none of us are. As the Bible said, His ways are past finding out.

I think this analogy, on this particular point, fails badly because children before the age of accountability to not have the capability to reason things out like an adult would.

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith.... Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth, will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith." Steps to Christ 105

This is exactly what I've been saying.

Quote:
T:The issue isn't us, but God. It is God who does not desire a slavish obedience. If He did, then He would ask us to do things for no reason.

A:But what you say God does not require, the Bible record has shown that He does. So my conclusion is that your understanding of "slavish obedience" is not the same as inspiration's. Your position is incongruent with the SOP I quoted about "blind obedience" and how God's army works.

I've quoted what Jesus Christ said. Your ideas are incongruent with what He said.

Quote:
Here's the connection: You require your own stamp of approval before you will do what God commands.

I disagree. I've been pointing out that *God* requires that we render an obedience by faith based on evidence, as stated above in SC.

Quote:
For you, God's love and God's wisdom are insufficient reason to obey; you require a more compelling reason, namely, Tom's wisdom. That is trusting in the arm of flesh.

For God, His commanding "blind obedience" without reference to reason or evidence is not desirable. God does not wish a slavish obedience. This isn't "Tom's wisdom." There are plenty more quotes like the above in SC:

Quote:
God gives sufficient evidence for the candid mind to believe." Testimonies, vol. 4, p. 232

Quote:
God gives sufficient evidence to every soul. He does not promise to remove every doubt, but He gives a reason for faith. And sufficient evidence was given to the Jews." Review and Herald, January 24, 1899

Quote:
Those who desire to doubt will have plenty of room. God does not propose to remove all occasion for unbelief. He gives evidence, which must be carefully investigated with a humble mind and teachable spirit. All should decide from the weight of evidence. Review and Herald, Sept. 16, 1873, emphaisis mine

Quote:
There is always sufficient evidence upon which to base an intelligent faith. But God will never remove from any man all occasion for doubts. Those who love to dwell in the atmosphere of doubt and questioning unbelief can have the unenviable privilege. He who turns from the weight of evidence because there are a few things that he cannot make plain to his finite understanding, will be left to the cold, chilling atmosphere of unbelief and skepticism, and will make shipwreck of faith. Signs of the Times, December 30, 1886

Quote:
Your persistence in thinking of God as a friend, while correct, has made you lose sight of the truth that He is our Father, first and foremost. It is a dangerous position you are in.

You seem to have the idea that because God is our Father, that means He wants obedience that is not based on evidence or reason. It seems to me that precisely because God is a kind and wise Father that He does not desire a slavish obedience.

Quote:
Here is an example of intelligent prayer,--an appeal to the reason and the sympathy of Jehovah; and Moses' prayer was answered, because God is reasonable and compassionate. The sorrows of his people touch his heart of love; and will he not hear our prevailing prayer? Will not our very urgency be regarded? His loving-kindness faileth not. As a kind Father, he does not mock the miseries of his children. (The Signs of the Times , August 14, 1884)

This speaks of God's being "reasonable," and of His being a "kind Father." These go hand in hand.

It seems to me that it is the idea that God would be pleased with an obedience which involves neither evidence nor reason that is dangerous.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106038
12/14/08 05:37 AM
12/14/08 05:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In the case of the Sabbath commandment, God simply said rest because I rested.

No He didn't. As an SDA, you should know there were reasons other than this to keep that Sabbath.

Quote:
Is that reason enough to obey as a friend rather than as a servant or as a slave?

This is a FOTAP question. God gave more reasons than this.

Quote:
What about the stranger within thy gates? What is the status of their obedience - friend or servant or slave?

This is a FOTAP question. Their obedience is not in question in the commandment, which is directed to the master of the house, not the stranger.

Quote:
Is obeying God as a servant or as a slave acceptable to Him? Or, is it no better than rebelling?

If a person has the mentality of an ignorant slave, and wishes to obey, I don't see why God would refuse such. God is very gracious, and may accept things He does not desire. But He would prefer us to be "friends, not servants," as Jesus explained.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106047
12/14/08 08:40 AM
12/14/08 08:40 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You seem to have the idea that because God is our Father, that means He wants obedience that is not based on evidence or reason.

Let me try this again for the 4th time: "Intelligent appreciation" is a good thing. (I'm going to be an expert at copy/paste before this is over, it seems.)

Why do you keep saying I believe something that I obviously do not? It is a straw man, and is beneath one of your skills as a logician.

Furthermore, I think I explained before that trusting that 1) God is good, and 2) God is wise constitute a good reason to do what He says. At least, for some of us it does. We walk by faith, not by sight - as in, "seeing" that He has a good reason for commanding what He does.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106050
12/14/08 08:59 AM
12/14/08 08:59 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Regarding your convincing vs. commanding comment, we are told that God does not desire slavish obedience, and that Jesus said He calls us "friends, not servants. I agree with these sentiments.

Jesus also says that God is our Father, and that a wise father commands his children. My view accommodates both convincing and commanding.

I've quoted what Jesus Christ said. Your ideas are incongruent with what He said.

So, the SOP about "blind obedience" is incongruent with Christ's teachings? I don't trust my hermeneutics enough to say that.

It seems to me that precisely because God is a kind and wise Father that He does not desire a slavish obedience.

A kind and wise Father would not allow His children to raise themselves.

Since I live in a dangerous place, I expect complete and immediate obedience, whether or not my children concur with or even know my reasons. Only after they walk in the light they already have - my instructions - will they be in a position to receive more light - my explanations. But their faith in following my instructions before they get my explanations may prove crucial to them surviving long enough to hear my explanations.

If you've ever been in a position to have charge of souls, I don't need to spell it out. If not, no amount of spelling will make you see what I see.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106051
12/14/08 09:05 AM
12/14/08 09:05 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:How so? Really, I don't understand why you would take the suggestion that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but wants us to obey Him based on reason and understanding as "making up a bunch of excuses" for doing something one does not wish to do.

A:Those who have ever raised smart but unwise kids know exactly what I'm talking about. This is, whether you realize it or not, a parenting issue. God is our Father, but you think you are qualified to enter into His thought processes before you are required to obey. You're not that smart; none of us are. As the Bible said, His ways are past finding out.

I think this analogy, on this particular point, fails badly because children before the age of accountability to not have the capability to reason things out like an adult would.

It works fine.

What is greater, the gap between an infant's reasoning ability and his father's, or your reasoning ability and you Heavenly Father's? You seem to think that while an infant cannot understand his father, and therefore must fully trust his father's judgment, you have a better chance and understanding the reasons for God's judgments.

I believe that no matter how "adult" or smart or wise we get, His ways are still past finding out.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 10 of 36 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!