HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 36 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106055
12/14/08 05:03 PM
12/14/08 05:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #106147, I think my first comment below addresses this.

Quote:
T:Regarding your convincing vs. commanding comment, we are told that God does not desire slavish obedience, and that Jesus said He calls us "friends, not servants. I agree with these sentiments.

A:Jesus also says that God is our Father, and that a wise father commands his children. My view accommodates both convincing and commanding.

It's the "also" idea that I'm responding to. You seem to be presenting the idea that as friend, God works with us on the basis of evidence and reason (convincing) but as Father, He doesn't (commanding). This would have God sometimes expecting our faith to be based on evidence on reason, and sometimes not, which I don't believe is correct.

Quote:
I've quoted what Jesus Christ said. Your ideas are incongruent with what He said.

So, the SOP about "blind obedience" is incongruent with Christ's teachings? I don't trust my hermeneutics enough to say that.

If there's an apparent agreement between inspired statements, then something's not being understood fully.

Quote:
A:A kind and wise Father would not allow His children to raise themselves. Since I live in a dangerous place, I expect complete and immediate obedience, whether or not my children concur with or even know my reasons. Only after they walk in the light they already have - my instructions - will they be in a position to receive more light - my explanations.

As adults, we have the ability to weigh evidence and reason, and this is what God expects us to do. "All should decide from the weight of evidence." (RH 9/16/73) "God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith" (SC 105). The "instructions" which God gives come with sufficient evidence so that a reasoned choice may be made. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to decide from the weight of evidence.

Quote:
If you've ever been in a position to have charge of souls, I don't need to spell it out. If not, no amount of spelling will make you see what I see.

What you see is not difficult to follow. I simply disagree with it. I disagree because you are considering beings who cannot reason to be equivalent, in terms of the point you are making, to beings who can.

Quote:
I think this analogy, on this particular point, fails badly because children before the age of accountability to not have the capability to reason things out like an adult would.

It works fine.

What is greater, the gap between an infant's reasoning ability and his father's, or your reasoning ability and you Heavenly Father's? You seem to think that while an infant cannot understand his father, and therefore must fully trust his father's judgment, you have a better chance and understanding the reasons for God's judgments.

I believe that no matter how "adult" or smart or wise we get, His ways are still past finding out.

It doesn't work because of the lack of ability to reason. It's not how much better one is able to reason than another, but the lack of ability to reason at all that causes the analogy to fail.

His ways are past finding out in the sense that we cannot know all that He considers, but this doesn't mean we can't know something about it. In particular, we are told that God gives us enough evidence upon which to make a reasoned decision. Certainly we can and should trust God in regards to the things we do not understand.

Quote:
A:A kind and wise Father would not allow His children to raise themselves. Since I live in a dangerous place, I expect complete and immediate obedience, whether or not my children concur with or even know my reasons. Only after they walk in the light they already have - my instructions - will they be in a position to receive more light - my explanations.

As adults, we have the ability to weigh evidence and reason, and this is what God expects us to do. "All should decide from the weight of evidence." (RH 9/16/73) "God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith" (SC 105). The "instructions" which God gives come with sufficient evidence so that a reasoned choice may be made. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to decide from the weight of evidence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106072
12/14/08 06:12 PM
12/14/08 06:12 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
T:Regarding your convincing vs. commanding comment, we are told that God does not desire slavish obedience, and that Jesus said He calls us "friends, not servants. I agree with these sentiments.

A:Jesus also says that God is our Father, and that a wise father commands his children. My view accommodates both convincing and commanding.

It's the "also" idea that I'm responding to. You seem to be presenting the idea that as friend, God works with us on the basis of evidence and reason (convincing) but as Father, He doesn't (commanding). This would have God sometimes expecting our faith to be based on evidence on reason, and sometimes not, which I don't believe is correct.

No, you misunderstand me. What I'm presenting is that a friend needs to convince his friend of the merits of his suggestions, while a father only needs to convince his son of his overall love and wisdom. Therefore, a friend requires reasons, while a son obeys implicitly.

The big difference is not that I don't require evidence to obey God, but that I believe His love and wisdom are evidence enough that His commands are always good and I should obey completely and immediately. You require more than that.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106073
12/14/08 06:15 PM
12/14/08 06:15 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
I've quoted what Jesus Christ said. Your ideas are incongruent with what He said.

So, the SOP about "blind obedience" is incongruent with Christ's teachings? I don't trust my hermeneutics enough to say that.

If there's an apparent agreement between inspired statements, then something's not being understood fully.

Then please explain how you reconcile them, since you feel that your understanding is complete enough to say that I am disagreeing with Jesus, even though I was only regurgitating what the SOP said. Is it possible that you don't understand it fully?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106075
12/14/08 06:23 PM
12/14/08 06:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The big difference is not that I don't require evidence to obey God, but that I believe His love and wisdom are evidence enough that His commands are always good and I should obey completely and immediately. You require more than that.

I've simply been saying what the inspiration says:

1.God does not desire a slavish obedience.
2.Jesus calls us "friends, not servants."
3.God always provides us sufficient evidence upon which to make decisions and base our faith.

I've been pointing out that I don't believe *God* is willing to give us commands that are not based on evidence or reason. I think God is correct in this, for a number of reasons. One is that it would be dangerous to have a faith not based on evidence or reason. It is this kind of "faith" that the enemy desires.

Another is that I don't believe this to be in harmony with God's character. Given that He does not desire a slavish obedience, that He desires obedience based on intelligent appreciation, evidence, and reason, why would God give us commands which would be contrary to these aspects of His character?

You keep framing things in terms of things which are not acceptable to me, but I don't see that as the issue. I see the issue as involving what's acceptable to God. I don't believe that "obedience" which is not based on understanding, evidence, or reason is something God desires, because of His character.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106077
12/14/08 06:32 PM
12/14/08 06:32 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
If you've ever been in a position to have charge of souls, I don't need to spell it out. If not, no amount of spelling will make you see what I see.

What you see is not difficult to follow. I simply disagree with it.

But the problem is not mental assent. If you ever get yourself into similar shoes, it will become clear to you. Maybe be a babysitter for a few hours, and see how you deal with it when the kid runs across the street after a ball. Do you give a command or an explanation?

Let me give you a glimpse of how it works in my family. We were visiting some friends and my son was playing in the backyard with the other kids. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him running toward the area where the dogs relieve themselves. Not wanting to have to clean his shoes, I called out his name to tell him why he doesn't want to go there. Before I could even tell him anything else, when he heard his name, he immediately turned around and ran toward me. Without any explanation, he knew where safety was.

That instance didn't carry much risk, but it was training for bigger and better things. There was another time when he was playing about 30 yards away from me and he ran toward the street. When I saw it, I yelled out, "Stop!" With no more than that, he immediately stopped and waited for my next word. My sheep know my voice and follow me.

Do you train your children to know your voice and obey, or do you always give them a dissertation before you expect them to obey?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106078
12/14/08 06:35 PM
12/14/08 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Then please explain how you reconcile them, since you feel that your understanding is complete enough to say that I am disagreeing with Jesus, even though I was only regurgitating what the SOP said.

I simply responded to what you said *using your own words* in regards to what Christ said as opposed to something Ellen White said. Therefore *you* must have felt your understanding was sufficient to say to me that I was disagreeing with Ellen White, even though I was "only regurgitating what the SOP said."

Quote:
Is it possible that you don't understand it fully?

IMO, without question, neither you nor I understand this issue fully.

In regards to reconciling the statements, I think in the army quotes, Ellen White was dealing with a different issue. If she were dealing with the same issue, this would be a contradiction, since in SC 105, and other places, she says that God always provides evidence sufficient for us to base our decisions. The issue I think she is dealing with in the other quotes is one of a rebellious attitude.

How would you reconcile these statements?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106079
12/14/08 06:38 PM
12/14/08 06:38 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I've simply been saying what the inspiration says:

1.God does not desire a slavish obedience.

But your idea of slavish obedience is sometimes described by inspiration as a good thing.

Abraham, the friend of God, did something that you would call slavish obedience.

3.God always provides us sufficient evidence upon which to make decisions and base our faith.

But you don't think God's love and wisdom are sufficient evidence. That's the biggest weakness of your position.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106084
12/14/08 06:59 PM
12/14/08 06:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:But your idea of slavish obedience is sometimes described by inspiration as a good thing.

1.My idea of slavish obedience is obedience not based on evidence, reason or understanding. Since inspiration says that God always provides sufficient evidence upon which we may base our decisions, inspiration would have to be disagreeing with itself for your suggestion to be true.

Quote:

Abraham, the friend of God, did something that you would call slavish obedience.

The case of Abraham is an involved one. To put things as simply and briefly as possible, given where Abraham was coming from, I don't think his was a slavish obedience, but one based on evidence, reason and understanding. I would agree that given what we know today, that what Abraham did could be characterized as "slavish obedience," but Abraham did not know what we know today.

Quote:

But you don't think God's love and wisdom are sufficient evidence. That's the biggest weakness of your position.

Your idea is that once we are convinced that God is loving and wise, He no longer desires that we obey His commands based on weighing evidence? (since we've already done this, and come to the conclusion that God is loving and wise).

If we take a specific command, say to keep the Sabbath, any sincere Christ would believe God is loving and wise. The decision to keep the Sabbath would therefore have to be based on the evidence in regards to the Sabbath. One would need to consider what the Bible says in regards to whether the Sabbath has been replaced by Sunday, if it was done away with, if the law as a whole should be kept by Christians at all, and similar arguments. So I understand the evidence that SC 105 and the other quotes is referring to is in regards to the specific command being considered, not simply to the general idea that God is loving and wise.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106093
12/14/08 09:03 PM
12/14/08 09:03 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Your idea is that once we are convinced that God is loving and wise, He no longer desires that we obey His commands based on weighing evidence? (since we've already done this, and come to the conclusion that God is loving and wise).

"He no longer desires that we obey His commands based on weighing evidence"? Are you serious? I wrote this somewhere? Is this the best argument you can muster to bolster your position, to impute this idea to me? Either I am a very bad writer, or you are a very bad exegete.

That's as wrong this time as the last time you threw it out to see if it would stick. For the 5th time: "Intelligent appreciation" is a good thing. (Please take note of it, because my Control, C, and V keys are being worn out.) If you're not sure what that means, ask me and I can try to explain. But I can tell you right now that what you think I meant barely resembles what I actually meant. Good thing I'm still around to explain myself yet again.

Straw men are easier to knock down than real ones, but the activity is ultimately fruitless.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106095
12/14/08 09:14 PM
12/14/08 09:14 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If we take a specific command, say to keep the Sabbath, any sincere Christ would believe God is loving and wise. The decision to keep the Sabbath would therefore have to be based on the evidence in regards to the Sabbath. One would need to consider what the Bible says in regards to whether the Sabbath has been replaced by Sunday, if it was done away with, if the law as a whole should be kept by Christians at all, and similar arguments. So I understand the evidence that SC 105 and the other quotes is referring to is in regards to the specific command being considered, not simply to the general idea that God is loving and wise.

Apparently, we've been talking about different things. I am talking about whether or not to obey what God told you. But your problem is that you can't tell what God is telling you, or maybe even if it is God telling you those things. Your problem, then, is not lack of evidence, but lack of discernment. That's an entirely different topic.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 11 of 36 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!