HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 36 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106096
12/14/08 09:15 PM
12/14/08 09:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arthur, I'm not setting up a straw man. I asked a question, trying to understand what you wrote. I don't think you are expressing yourself very clearly. You could get someone else's opinion on this. If you are expressing yourself clearly, someone else should be able to present your argument for you. If they can do that, then I'll be happy to admit that you were a better writer than I was an exegete.

I don't understand why you feel it's necessary to resort to sarcasm. How does this help your position?

I also don't understand why you think it's OK for you to ascribe bad motivations to my questions and comments. I can assure you with a clear conscience, the Holy Spirit bearing witness, that all I was trying to do was to clarify your thought.

Please consider the last paragraph of my previous post. I would be interested in your thoughts on this. Do you agree with what I wrote?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106097
12/14/08 09:19 PM
12/14/08 09:19 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
A:But your idea of slavish obedience is sometimes described by inspiration as a good thing.

1.My idea of slavish obedience is obedience not based on evidence, reason or understanding. Since inspiration says that God always provides sufficient evidence upon which we may base our decisions, inspiration would have to be disagreeing with itself for your suggestion to be true.

There is no disagreement, because inspiration tells us that we have evidence of God's voice based on our previous experience with Him, reason to believe that He always wants what is best for us, and understanding that He knows what is best for us. You just don't understand how that can be sufficient, without more details. It is implicit faith in our loving and wise Father.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106102
12/14/08 11:27 PM
12/14/08 11:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Apparently, we've been talking about different things. I am talking about whether or not to obey what God told you. But your problem is that you can't tell what God is telling you, or maybe even if it is God telling you those things. Your problem, then, is not lack of evidence, but lack of discernment. That's an entirely different topic.

I'm questioning the whole premise, that God would tell you to do something without providing evidence for why, by which I mean evidence as to the command itself (not simply evidence that God wants what's best for us, for example).

Regarding discernment/evidence, I asked you the question as to how you would know it was God telling you something if one accepts the premise that He will tell you to do things without your having to have any understanding as to why. Do you have something to go on beyond simply being confident of your ability to recognize God's voice?

Quote:
There is no disagreement, because inspiration tells us that we have evidence of God's voice based on our previous experience with Him, reason to believe that He always wants what is best for us, and understanding that He knows what is best for us. You just don't understand how that can be sufficient, without more details. It is implicit faith in our loving and wise Father.

I don't think this is what she's talking about in SC 105, or the other quotes I provided.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106110
12/15/08 03:34 AM
12/15/08 03:34 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? Are we required to render obedience even if we don't understand why? Is it safe to refuse to comply with God's command while we don't know His rationale for giving the command?

sometimes yes, sometimes no. it depends on the commands and the circumstances.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106113
12/15/08 07:42 AM
12/15/08 07:42 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I'm questioning the whole premise, that God would tell you to do something without providing evidence for why, by which I mean evidence as to the command itself (not simply evidence that God wants what's best for us, for example).

God said, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me, thou shalt not kill, shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal." He gave no explanations. Do you think that God did not expect them to keep these commandments until He had explained His reasons for giving them?

Regarding discernment/evidence, I asked you the question as to how you would know it was God telling you something if one accepts the premise that He will tell you to do things without your having to have any understanding as to why. Do you have something to go on beyond simply being confident of your ability to recognize God's voice?

I don't know. Abraham didn't have much to go on either. Yet, he was going to kill his son.

In any case, you are now dragging a red herring into the discussion. You are now talking about not being sure if God is the one telling you stuff, and not someone else. What we have been talking about all this time was whether or not we should obey commands given by God, even if He gave no rationale. Those are very different things.

Quote:

I don't think this is what she's talking about in SC 105, or the other quotes I provided.

Just because she's not talking about that in any particular place, does not make it wrong. That's simple logic.

However, she does talk about it in the other quotes I presented. That, IMO, goes a long way toward the concept being right.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106118
12/15/08 08:34 AM
12/15/08 08:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:I'm questioning the whole premise, that God would tell you to do something without providing evidence for why, by which I mean evidence as to the command itself (not simply evidence that God wants what's best for us, for example).

A:God said, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me, thou shalt not kill, shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal." He gave no explanations. Do you think that God did not expect them to keep these commandments until He had explained His reasons for giving them?

What I've been saying is that God does not desire a slavish obedience, that He desires that we obey Him on the basis of weighing evidence and by using reason and understanding. In the case of "thou shalt have no other gods before me" there's a whole bunch of evidence involved here! Just think of all that happened before this command was given. There's the whole experience of the Exodus, and the happenings on Mt. Sinai.

Regarding stealing, don't you think it's likely that the Israelites understood stealing was wrong? If they understood it was wrong, then they could obey with understanding.

Quote:
T:Regarding discernment/evidence, I asked you the question as to how you would know it was God telling you something if one accepts the premise that He will tell you to do things without your having to have any understanding as to why. Do you have something to go on beyond simply being confident of your ability to recognize God's voice?

A: I don't know. Abraham didn't have much to go on either. Yet, he was going to kill his son.

In any case, you are now dragging a red herring into the discussion. You are now talking about not being sure if God is the one telling you stuff, and not someone else. What we have been talking about all this time was whether or not we should obey commands given by God, even if He gave no rationale. Those are very different things.

It's not a red herring. It's a very serious matter. This is one of the principle reasons I feel the point of view you are presenting is dangerous. IMO, it leaves one wide open to the deceptions of the enemy.

I think the idea that one can obey God with no understanding or reason is the sort of thinking behind fundamentalist extremism in many forms of religion. Once one takes reason out of the equation, that's very dangerous. People can do, and have done, very terrible things under the conviction that they were following God's orders.

Quote:

Just because she's not talking about that in any particular place, does not make it wrong. That's simple logic.

However, she does talk about it in the other quotes I presented. That, IMO, goes a long way toward the concept being right.

Here's the SC 105 quote:

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith.

These are the ideas I've been trying to share. God *never* asks us to believe without evidence upon which to base our faith. Why not? Because He does not desire a slavish obedience. He wants an obedience based on reason.

Quote:
God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense.(3SM 217)

That God desires that we rely on common sense and reason tells us something about who He is.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106209
12/17/08 08:18 PM
12/17/08 08:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: In the case of the Sabbath commandment, God simply said rest because I rested.

T: No He didn't. As an SDA, you should know there were reasons other than this to keep that Sabbath.

Here is how the creation account and commandment read. I've underlined the words that explain why God commanded people to rest on the seventh day.

Genesis
2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus
20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
20:10 But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The point is - The commandment to rest on the seventh day is based on, Because I rested on the seventh day, rather than on an elaborate explanation.

The question is - Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain better reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106210
12/17/08 08:37 PM
12/17/08 08:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
A: If you've ever been in a position to have charge of souls, I don't need to spell it out. If not, no amount of spelling will make you see what I see.

T: What you see is not difficult to follow. I simply disagree with it.

A: But the problem is not mental assent. If you ever get yourself into similar shoes, it will become clear to you. Maybe be a babysitter for a few hours, and see how you deal with it when the kid runs across the street after a ball. Do you give a command or an explanation?

Let me give you a glimpse of how it works in my family. We were visiting some friends and my son was playing in the backyard with the other kids. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him running toward the area where the dogs relieve themselves. Not wanting to have to clean his shoes, I called out his name to tell him why he doesn't want to go there. Before I could even tell him anything else, when he heard his name, he immediately turned around and ran toward me. Without any explanation, he knew where safety was.

That instance didn't carry much risk, but it was training for bigger and better things. There was another time when he was playing about 30 yards away from me and he ran toward the street. When I saw it, I yelled out, "Stop!" With no more than that, he immediately stopped and waited for my next word. My sheep know my voice and follow me.

Do you train your children to know your voice and obey, or do you always give them a dissertation before you expect them to obey?

Arnold, thank you for this excellent example. I appreciate how you present things using practical examples. I trained my children in the same way. On one occasion it paid off dearly. When my oldest son was 10 years old he was about to walk in front of four people swinging on a pallet swing. I hollered, "Jeff, stop!" He obeyed my command immediately. It saved his life. My heart and knees were so weak I collapsed and cried like a baby.

Tom, I was disappointed you didn't respond to this post. It explains things so nicely. Did you overlook it?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #106214
12/17/08 09:32 PM
12/17/08 09:32 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
yes, it is an excellent point. now, why did your children obey instantly, assuming that they were raised with love, and not like my dad?

Last edited by teresaq; 12/17/08 09:34 PM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: teresaq] #106217
12/17/08 10:08 PM
12/17/08 10:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #106209, there's also this:

Quote:
12Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

13Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:

14But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

15And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. (Deut. 5)

And this:

Quote:
13Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.(Ex. 31)

And this:

Quote:
13If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

14Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.(Isa. 58)

One could argue that Isa. 58 was written afterward, but it seems likely the Israelites would have had an oral tradition already involving the principle Isaiah lays out.

Regarding #106210, my posts #106055 #106037 deal with the points raised in what you cited.

A couple of questions for you MM.

1.What does it mean that Jesus said He calls us "friends, not servants," because He has made things known to us?

2.What is "a slavish obedience," as spoken of here?

Quote:
He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes. (GC 541)

Page 12 of 36 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!