HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 36 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106363
12/22/08 02:45 AM
12/22/08 02:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM was essentially saying, "God doesn't tell us everything that He could because we are too dumb. And sometimes we have to trust that He knows what He's doing even if we don't."

Were you agreeing with MM? It seemed to me that you were contradicting him by pointing out that Jesus wasn't too dumb. Am I right so far? Then, in this context, you throw in His statement that "all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

MM said God knew stuff that He didn't tell the disciples. Are you agreeing with that or not?

MM said that God didn't communicate everything that He could communicate because of dimwittedness. Therefore if there are things which were not being communicated by God, the reason for this is being dimwitted. Jesus said He told us "all things that I have heard from my Father." So everything that God communicated to Jesus, Jesus communicated to the disciples. I pointed out that Jesus wasn't too dimwitted to hear things from God. The communication was God ==> Jesus ==> disciples. Since Jesus communicated all things He heard to the disciples, if God was holding things back, He had to have been holding them back from Jesus.

Obviously God knew things the disciples didn't. That's not a point that needs to be commented on.

Quote:
T:Also I have not taught what you are suggesting. What I have said is that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but rather one based on evidence, reason and understanding.

A:Slavish obedience is bad, we agree. What I'm taking issue with is the concept that taking God at His word because we trust His goodness and wisdom, and distrust our own competence, constitutes slavish obedience.

This hasn't been suggested. Again, what I've been saying is that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but rather one based on evidence, reason and understanding.

Quote:
What I'm taking issue with is the teaching that God thinks it is good that we question His character, and make Him explain Himself every time He gives a command.

This hasn't been suggested either.

Quote:
I don't want my children doing that; and I don't think God wants His children doing that.

Again, what I've been saying is that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but rather one based on evidence, reason and understanding.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: teresaq] #106465
12/24/08 05:24 PM
12/24/08 05:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
T: it seems like ive had so many lifetimes, that that is just one. mostly i was angry when i thought of it. i guess there were times when it hurt, but i cant say it does much anymore. for one thing its over. they cant do that anymore. i dont know, it just doesnt seem to hurt anymore.

M: As a pastor, I have counseled many precious souls in a similar state as you seem to be in. Let me just say - There are good reasons to fear not hurting anymore. It is usually a bad sign. It can mean important things are in danger of dying in you, things you desperately don't want to lose. I nearly died inside because I mishandled the hurt. But, thank you Jesus, I was able to recover.

T: hmmmmm, i didnt realize anyone would come to that conclusion. i believe it doesnt hurt anymore for a variety of reasons. one because i understand somewhat of their circumstances, and another because i have forgiven them and only want their best.

Have you heard how repentance deepens the more like Jesus we become? I like how Tom explains this experience (if you're listening Tom please feel free to share). The closer I draw to Jesus the more sorry I am for some of the sins I committed in the past. I know I am forgiven but it doesn't stop me from feeling bad for what I did, especially those times when I wounded my wife with unkind words. I feel worse about it now than I did when I first asked her to forgive me. Of course I do not burden her with this fact. But at odd times here and there it hits me and an overwhelming sense of sorrow floods my soul. It motivates me to stick close to Jesus. Even the thought of wounding my precious wife is enough to cause hot tears to flow.

A similar thing happens to me when I recall the losses I suffered as a child. All of a sudden, out of the blue, it will hit me. Especially this time of the year. I see parents and children having fun and full of love for one another. Then I remember it wasn't that way for me. Such love and affection was foreign to me as a little orphan boy. The pain is never the same; sometimes it is worse than at other times. But it hurts nonetheless. I forgave my parents long ago for abandoning me. There was even a time when I thought I was over the hurt. But I was only hardening my heart making matters worse. Now I welcome the pain. It prevents me from becoming an unfeeling monster. It never hinders me. It always helps me. And, it continues to deepen and intensify.

Jesus bears the scars of His crucifixion. Forever and ever we will remember that Jesus suffered and died to ransom and redeem us from death row. The hurt of hurting Him will deepen more and more throughout eternity. It serves to motivate us now to love and obey Him more and more unto the perfect day. That's one of the many blessed results of being like Jesus. In this way sadness and sorrow for sin serves to inspire us love God and to love one another. The thought of hurting one of God's dear loved ones, one of our brothers or sisters, is so painful that we would rather tie a millstone around our neck and jump over board than to follow through on such a revolting thought. Such a thought is an enemy to our soul; we flee to Jesus and He sets us free, and we are free indeed. Thank you Jesus!

I share these things hoping it will help others like me who are living with hurtful histories and painful pasts. Embrace the sorrow as a friend, for it is making your heart soft and supple, a warm and cozy place for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Peace and good tidings.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #106467
12/24/08 05:36 PM
12/24/08 05:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:I'm not disagreeing with the concept that because we trust God, that we should be willing to do what He says just based on His say so. I'm disagreeing with the idea that this is something God would wish to do.

M:Arnold isn't arguing we should be "willing" to obey; instead, he is saying we should obey Him, that God expects such obedience.

T: You're suggesting I'm saying we should be willing to obey but not actually obey? I'm not understanding why you felt compelled to comment here.

Not at all, Tom. I was simply commenting on what Arnold posted about it.

Quote:
M: Remember, God is in a position where He cannot tell us everything He knows. We are too dense and dimwitted. So, He is often forced to command us to obey Him without providing better reasons than, Because I said so; or, You're just going to have to trust me on this one.

T: Jesus said: Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.(John 15:15)

Jesus wasn't dense or dimwitted, so God was able to communicate fine to Him, right? Jesus says He has called us "friends" because "all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

Where did Jesus say we should obey Him (or the Father) because "I said so." (or "He said so.")? This seems to be diametrically opposed to what Jesus is saying in John 15:15.

I addressed these issues in a previous post.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106469
12/24/08 06:03 PM
12/24/08 06:03 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
What I'm taking issue with is the teaching that God thinks it is good that we question His character, and make Him explain Himself every time He gives a command.

This hasn't been suggested either.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. Let me try to understand.

If God gave a command, e.g. keep the seventh day holy, and I could see no good reason for it other than God says I should do it, should I immediately do as He says or disregard it until I see a reason?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106471
12/24/08 06:38 PM
12/24/08 06:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: First of all, you didn't address my point or answer my question. Here they are again:

The point is - The commandment to rest on the seventh day is based on, Because I rested on the seventh day, rather than on an elaborate explanation.

The question is - Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain "better" reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day? NOTE: The passage in Genesis is the only command people had for 2500 years. It could be argued that people also understood the commandment as it reads in Exodus 20:8-11. Even the post-exilic passages you cited do not provide significantly better reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day. That is, referring to it as a "sign" isn't an improvement on the original reason given, namely, because it's the day God rested on.

T: As I pointed out, there are several reasons given for keeping the Sabbath. The foundation of observing the Sabbath is that God rested on this day, the crowning act of creation. The Sabbath is a memorial of creation, and its observance recognizes God as the Creator.

It's also a memorial of redemption, a them which is explained in detail in Hebrews. By faith we enter into the rest of God, which is what the Sabbath is all about. The Sabbath is also the seal of God and a sign of sanctification. This is just scratching the service!

You didn't answer my question. Here it is again: Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain "better" reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day? NOTE: The passage in Genesis is the only thing people had for 2500 years. It could be argued that people also understood the commandment as it reads in Exodus 20:8-11. Did these people render slavish obedience?

Quote:
M: Now, as to your first question. Jesus said, "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." Obviously, the kind of friendship Jesus is referring to isn't an ordinary friendship. How can it be? Jesus is, after all, God, and we're only human, and sinful to boot. My earthly friendships are not predicated on doing whatever they command me to do.

Jesus also said, "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." This must be understood in a limited sense, because obviously Jesus didn't tell them everything His Father told Him.

For example, Jesus said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." He left it to the Holy Spirit to explain certain things to the disciples later on. But not even the Holy Spirit could tell them everything. Elsewhere we read, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!"

"Henceforth I call you not servants." Even this statement must be understood in a limited sense. Jesus also said, "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant. If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all. Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Well done, thou good and faithful servant . . . enter thou into the joy of thy lord. The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also."

There is also the fact the disciples and apostles referred to themselves as servants. For example, "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ. Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ. James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ. Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ. The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John."

"For the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth." Again, this statement must be understood in a limited sense. Jesus also said, "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes." Obviously this servant was in the know. Nevertheless, he didn't obey his master. The end of such servants is less than desirable. "Cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

So, what did Jesus mean when He said, "Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." Again, I believe it must be understood within the immediate context. Here it is: [John 15:1-17 quoted]

This is the context of the statement, "All things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." Especially, Jesus made known to them the following:

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

This is what it takes to be Jesus' friend. But being His friend does not mean we stop being His servant. He will always be our Lord and Master, and we will always be His servants and friends.

T: MM, I hear you saying:

1.Jesus calls us friends if we do what He commands. (agreed)
2.Being His friend does not mean we stop being His servant.

However, regarding the second point, I still don't understand what you think Jesus meant by saying He no longer calls us servants but friends because He has told us all things He heard from His Father. Jesus makes two points here:

a.He calls us not servants, but friends.
b.His reason for doing this is because He has made known to us all things He heard from His Father.

You seem to be denying both of Jesus' points. Surely by saying "not servants but friends," Jesus did not mean "both servants and friends." He must have had something in mind in making this distinction. What was it?

He tells us what it is. "A servant does not know what his master is doing." That's the different. He calls us not servants but friends because He has told us what God revealed to Him, so that it cannot be said that we don't know what the master is doing, unlike the ignorant servant. Clearly this is Jesus' point, isn't it?

Tom, I addressed the points you raised in my response above. I explained things in great detail. Jesus made the servant-friends comment in a specific context. You seem to think it applies to every other context too. But, if you are right, how do you explain everything I posted about it above? In addition to everything I posted above, please consider the following:

Quote:
Those who live in close fellowship with Christ will be promoted by Him to positions of trust. The servant who does the best he can for his Master is admitted to familiar intercourse with the One whose commands he loves to obey. In the faithful discharge of duty we may become one with Christ, for those who are obeying God's commands may speak to Him freely. The one who talks most familiarly with his divine leader has the most exalted conception of His greatness and is the most obedient to His commands. {TMK 296.2}

"If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. . . . Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." . . . {TMK 296.3}

The character of the one who comes to God in faith will bear witness that the Saviour has entered into his life, directing all, pervading all. Such a one is continually asking, "Is this Thy will and way, O my Saviour?" Constantly he looks to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of his faith. He consults the will of his divine Friend in reference to all his actions, for he knows that in this confidence is his strength. He has made it a habit to lift up the heart to God in every perplexity. . . . {TMK 296.4}

Again, this type of friendship is unique in that it doesn't resemble normal earthly friendships. Beings friends with the Lord and Master of the Universe is not the same thing as being friends with angels or humans or any other FMA. For one thing, we are not His equal.

Consider also the fact Jesus called Judas "friend" the night he betrayed Jesus into the hands of sinners. "Friend, wherefore art thou come?" A similar thing exists in the following passages where Jesus is portrayed as calling people "friend" when they are in fact not His friends. "Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?" "Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment?"

Quote:
M: And, regarding your second question. "What is 'a slavish obedience,' as spoken of here?" It means doing all the right things for all the wrong reasons. It means obeying the rules begrudgingly, not as a cheerful giver. In reality, though, all such obedience is offensive to God. It does not flow out of a heart of love and adoration for God. For example:

"God loveth a cheerful giver," and those who love Him will give freely and cheerfully when by so doing they can advance His cause and promote His glory. The Lord never requires His people to offer more than they are able, but according to their ability He is pleased to accept and bless their thank offerings. Let willing obedience and pure love bind upon the altar every offering that is made to God; for with such sacrifices He is well pleased, while those that are offered grudgingly are an offense to Him. {5T 269.2}

T: MM, I agree that our obedience to God should not be egocentric, I point I've often made to you in our discussions regarding sins of ignorance, and I also agree that the points your are mentioning are elements of what slavish obedience encompasses. However, it is not what EGW is dealing with in the context of the statement I quoted, which is the following:

Quote:
God does not force the will or judgment of any. He takes no pleasure in a slavish obedience. He desires that the creatures of His hands shall love Him because He is worthy of love. He would have them obey Him because they have an intelligent appreciation of His wisdom, justice, and benevolence. And all who have a just conception of these qualities will love Him because they are drawn toward Him in admiration of His attributes.

The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." (GC 541)

What she brings out here is that slavish obedience is in contrast to intelligent appreciation. These, by the way, are the differences of the Old and New Covenants.

Quote:
The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ.(PP 372)

The Old Covenant consists of a slavish obedience to laws written on stone, which is why it "gendereth to bondage." In the New Covenant the law is written in the heart, and one is constrained to obey by the agape of God, revealed in the cross of Calvary (which agrees with the 5T 269.2 quote you pointed out).

I, too, agree with the points you raised here, except I do not agree that obeying God for less than optimum reasons constitutes slavish obedience. I do not agree with you that obeying God based on reasons no better than, Because I said so, is slavish obedience. All true obedience springs forth from a heart wherein the Holy Spirit dwells triumphantly even when such obedience has a foundation no better than, Because I said so.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #106473
12/24/08 06:48 PM
12/24/08 06:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM said that God didn't communicate everything that He could communicate because of dimwittedness. Therefore if there are things which were not being communicated by God, the reason for this is being dimwitted. Jesus said He told us "all things that I have heard from my Father." So everything that God communicated to Jesus, Jesus communicated to the disciples. I pointed out that Jesus wasn't too dimwitted to hear things from God. The communication was God ==> Jesus ==> disciples. Since Jesus communicated all things He heard to the disciples, if God was holding things back, He had to have been holding them back from Jesus.

Tom, you are taking Jesus' words out of context and applying it to everything. Moments afterward Jesus said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." How do you reconcile what you believe with what Jesus said here?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #106474
12/24/08 06:49 PM
12/24/08 06:49 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
There was even a time when I thought I was over the hurt. But I was only hardening my heart making matters worse. Now I welcome the pain.

aaaahhh, you think im hardening my heart. i havent seen any evidence of that in my life, since i still reach out to those i see in pain, and with much more wisdom and reliance on the Lord for Him to minister through me, i believe, than i ever did in my "pain".

but i dont "fear" hurting from what they did. i gave up the anger and felt the pain. its not the same as losing a loved one. that pain never goes away. we may forget at times, but when thinking about it it still hurts. but that is a different kind of pain. right now im worried about whether they will accept salvation and change than "feeling my pain".
maybe that is why it doesnt hurt anymore. its just not that important compared to whether they will come to know the Lord or not.

that is the struggle, staying in Jesus and out of myself.

another issue you touched on was repentence for what i have done. i have also had that experience. it seems repentence can go deeper and deeper.

Last edited by teresaq; 12/24/08 06:50 PM.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: teresaq] #106479
12/24/08 08:15 PM
12/24/08 08:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you are taking Jesus' words out of context and applying it to everything. Moments afterward Jesus said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." How do you reconcile what you believe with what Jesus said here?

Jesus said the following:

Quote:
15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

This looks to me to be saying that the reason He called them not friends but servants was tied to the fact that He told them things He had heard from His Father. He said, "for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth".

So what distinguishes the servant from the friend? Isn't it that the servant does not know that his lord doeth, but the friend does? And isn't the reason for this because the lord has communicated these things? So the difference between servant and the friend is understanding. This seems to me to be in harmony with EGW's statement that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but one based on intelligent appreciation.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106480
12/24/08 08:20 PM
12/24/08 08:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
A:What I'm taking issue with is the teaching that God thinks it is good that we question His character, and make Him explain Himself every time He gives a command.

T:This hasn't been suggested either.

A:Perhaps I misunderstood you. Let me try to understand.

If God gave a command, e.g. keep the seventh day holy, and I could see no good reason for it other than God says I should do it, should I immediately do as He says or disregard it until I see a reason?

I've been saying I don't think God would do this, because He does not desire a slavish obedience, but one based on evidence, which involves one's reason, and understanding.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #106484
12/24/08 08:59 PM
12/24/08 08:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You didn't answer my question. Here it is again: Do these verses require "slavish" obedience since they do not contain "better" reasons why God commands people to rest on the seventh day? NOTE: The passage in Genesis is the only thing people had for 2500 years.

No it's not. I don't know why you would think this. There was a vast oral tradition, a part of which was included in the books of Moses, which include Job, as well as the Pentateuch.

Quote:
It could be argued that people also understood the commandment as it reads in Exodus 20:8-11. Did these people render slavish obedience?

Since they were slaves, and needed to be educated in the things of God, it is not surprising that they would render a slavish obedience. Indeed, this is what the Old Covenant is about, rendering slavish obedience. However God was always interested in writing the law in their heart, and in obedience motivated by an intelligent appreciation of His character.

I don't understand how your points about friends has to do with Jesus' point, that He was calling His disciples not servants, but friends, because a servant does not know what his lord is doing, but Jesus told them all things He had heard from His Father. This seems to me like the same idea EGW communicated in saying that God does not desire a slavish obedience, but one based on an intelligent appreciation of God's character.

Quote:
T:The Old Covenant consists of a slavish obedience to laws written on stone, which is why it "gendereth to bondage." In the New Covenant the law is written in the heart, and one is constrained to obey by the agape of God, revealed in the cross of Calvary (which agrees with the 5T 269.2 quote you pointed out).

M:I, too, agree with the points you raised here, except I do not agree that obeying God for less than optimum reasons constitutes slavish obedience.

This is a bit vague. That is "less than optimum reason" is vague, but, depending upon how this is interpreted, I think this is exactly what constitutes slavish obedience.

Quote:
I do not agree with you that obeying God based on reasons no better than, Because I said so, is slavish obedience.

Ok, we disagree on this point then. I don't see how this idea harmonizes with what Jesus said in John 15:15.

Quote:
All true obedience springs forth from a heart wherein the Holy Spirit dwells triumphantly even when such obedience has a foundation no better than, Because I said so.

How would this be different than an automaton?

Quote:
The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon a blind submission, an unreasoning control. It appeals to the intellect and the conscience. "Come now, and let us reason together" is the Creator's invitation to the beings He has made. Isaiah 1:18. God does not force the will of His creatures. He cannot accept an homage that is not willingly and intelligently given.(SC 43)

How does, "Because I said so" appeal to the intellect? How does this involve reasoning together?

Page 15 of 36 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!