HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 100 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: asygo] #106352
12/21/08 08:13 AM
12/21/08 08:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Aaron:If its God that punishes us and not the result of sin. Then Satan is right when He says the problem is God. If the only thing wrong with sin is that it goes against what God has asked us not to do then God should just stop giving us these annoying rules we are supposed to live by.

T:I think this is right on. If sin is innocuous, then the reason not to do it is to avoid punishment. The wrath of God becomes what we need to avoid.

OTOH, if sin has fatal effects, from which God seeks to save us, regardless of the cost to Himself, sin is rightly seen as the problem, and we perceive God as a self-sacrificing Savior.

A:Here's the noteworthy sentence from Aaron: If the only thing wrong with sin is that it goes against what God has asked us not to do then God should just stop giving us these annoying rules we are supposed to live by.

Do you still think that is "right on"?

Yes, Aaron is right on.

The tree was not theirs (Adam and Eve's). It didn't belong to them. By eating of it, they were violating the principle of respecting the property of another. What sort of society would heaven be if people did not respect that which belongs to somebody else?

Now the only way that Adam and Eve could know what was theirs and what wasn't was if someone told them.

I still don't know why you asked this question:

Quote:
If God did not want them to eat that fruit, then who put it there in the middle of a garden full of fruit to eat?

I've asked you for clarification about this a couple of times now. What were you thinking when you wrote this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106430
12/23/08 09:25 PM
12/23/08 09:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Another thing God did in the OT that Jesus never did while He was here, is He never commanded people to kill sinners. So, obviously, there are things Jesus did not reveal about God while He was here.

T: Here's what Ellen White wrote: "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286) I agree with her and disagree with you.

You are implying it wasn't God who commanded Moses to kill the Sabbath-breaker and the blasphemer. What is about the following commands that make you think it wasn't God who commanded them?

Leviticus
24:13, 14, 24 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard [him] lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him. And the children of Israel did as the LORD commanded Moses.

Numbers
15:35, 36 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #106433
12/23/08 10:05 PM
12/23/08 10:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, we've been through this many times.

What I'm saying is that all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. If we think we see something different than what Jesus Christ revealed, then what we think is wrong, not what Jesus Christ revealed. That's been my point. Rather than modify our view of who Christ is by our misunderstandings, we should modify our misunderstandings by what we see revealed in Christ.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106439
12/24/08 01:43 AM
12/24/08 01:43 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. If we think we see something different than what Jesus Christ revealed, then what we think is wrong, not what Jesus Christ revealed.

The "God" of the Old Testament WAS Jesus Christ. Since the Fall, all communication from heaven has been through Jesus. So what we find in the OT is a revelation of Jesus/God as well as the record in the NT.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106440
12/24/08 01:49 AM
12/24/08 01:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
Aaron:If its God that punishes us and not the result of sin. Then Satan is right when He says the problem is God. If the only thing wrong with sin is that it goes against what God has asked us not to do then God should just stop giving us these annoying rules we are supposed to live by.

T:I think this is right on. If sin is innocuous, then the reason not to do it is to avoid punishment. The wrath of God becomes what we need to avoid.

OTOH, if sin has fatal effects, from which God seeks to save us, regardless of the cost to Himself, sin is rightly seen as the problem, and we perceive God as a self-sacrificing Savior.

A:Here's the noteworthy sentence from Aaron: If the only thing wrong with sin is that it goes against what God has asked us not to do then God should just stop giving us these annoying rules we are supposed to live by.

Yes, Aaron is right on.

The tree was not theirs (Adam and Eve's). It didn't belong to them. By eating of it, they were violating the principle of respecting the property of another. What sort of society would heaven be if people did not respect that which belongs to somebody else?

So God put it there, in the middle of the smorgasbord so to speak, but not for them to eat. OK, I can live with that.

But Aaron said much more than that.

Now the only way that Adam and Eve could know what was theirs and what wasn't was if someone told them.

I'll ask the question again, to help you see what Aaron said: If God didn't give that "annoying rule" of not eating that fruit, would there have been a problem with eating that fruit?

I still don't know why you asked this question:

Quote:
If God did not want them to eat that fruit, then who put it there in the middle of a garden full of fruit to eat?

I've asked you for clarification about this a couple of times now. What were you thinking when you wrote this?

I was thinking that you might notice that God put it there for a purpose other than eating. And the risk involved much more than indigestion. We'll see if we can get there from here.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: does God punish? [Re: asygo] #106445
12/24/08 07:09 AM
12/24/08 07:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
all that we can know about God was revealed by Jesus Christ. If we think we see something different than what Jesus Christ revealed, then what we think is wrong, not what Jesus Christ revealed.

The "God" of the Old Testament WAS Jesus Christ. Since the Fall, all communication from heaven has been through Jesus. So what we find in the OT is a revelation of Jesus/God as well as the record in the NT.

The God of the Old Testament was misunderstood:

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

Jesus Christ came to clear away the cobwebs.

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

The whole purpose of Christ's earthly mission was the revelation of God.

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. (8T 286)

The problem is that man has a different view of the God of the OT and Jesus Christ. When people usually do is try to form a composite image of God, one-half OT God, which they see as severe and harsh, exacting revenge on those who dare to defy His will in the least respect, and one-half Jesus Christ, whom is seen in a more positive way. Rather than allowing the image of Jesus Christ modify the "misapprehension" of the OT God, one's image of God becomes a melange.

Quote:
When our unveiled minds, behold the radiant beauty of the true God in Jesus Christ, we are transformed into his beauty...Our transformation is dependent on the picture of God we embrace in our mind and heart. And the picture God gives us is Jesus. The death-producing effects of the serpent's lie are reversed as we unwaveringly fix our sight on the One who is truth....

All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.

God's righteousness is most perfectly revealed when he himself becomes a judged criminal....

Christ was not an innocent third party who was punished against his will to appease the Father's wrath. Christ is Himself God, and He voluntarily took our sin and its just punishment upon Himself. Hence His sacrifice does not appease God's wrath; it reveals God's love. Even in--especially in--His agonizing death on the cross, Jesus is the exact imprint and perfect reflection of God. In the crucified Christ the truth about God, about us, and about the world is most perfectly revealed...

The "natural mind" does not expect the omnipotent Creator to look like this. (Grey Boyd, Is God to Blame?)

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106446
12/24/08 07:48 AM
12/24/08 07:48 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

T:Yes, Aaron is right on.

A:So God put it there, in the middle of the smorgasbord so to speak, but not for them to eat. OK, I can live with that.

But Aaron said much more than that.[/quote]

You asked me if I "still" agreed with this: "If the only thing wrong with sin is that it goes against what God has asked us not to do then God should just stop giving us these annoying rules we are supposed to live by."

I don't know why you put in the word "still," but I answered your question, which is yes, I agree.

Quote:
Tom:Now the only way that Adam and Eve could know what was theirs and what wasn't was if someone told them.

A:I'll ask the question again, to help you see what Aaron said: If God didn't give that "annoying rule" of not eating that fruit, would there have been a problem with eating that fruit?

Arnold, this is condescending. I understood what Aaron said, and I agree with it, and I explained why (a critical point in my explanation being that more is involved than the simple breaking of a rule).

Here's a similar explanation by Ty Gibson:

Quote:
Sin is the opposite, antagonistic principle at war with the law of love. Do not view sin as merely an alternative way of living, which happens to be harmlessly different from God's way. God's way is the only way to live, not because He happens to be more powerful and can arbitrarily punish us if we don't comply, but because life is actually, intrinsically present only in God's way, which is the way of love. The problem with sin is that it is wrong, actually, essentially, inherently wrong. And it is wrong for good reason, not only just because the One in charge doesn't like it. To be sure, God does not like sin, but He doesn't like it because of what it does to its victims, not because He is a picky control freak who decided to come up with a list of arbitrary rules to keep us under His thumb. Sin, by its very nature, is anti-life. It is intrinsically destructive. Hence the Bible calls it "the law of sin and death" (Romans 8:2). It is a law because it is a cause whose effect is death.(Shades of Grace)

This is what I heard Aaron saying, and I agree with his point (as well with what Ty Gibson wrote here).

Quote:
A:If God did not want them to eat that fruit, then who put it there in the middle of a garden full of fruit to eat?

T:I've asked you for clarification about this a couple of times now. What were you thinking when you wrote this?

A:I was thinking that you might notice that God put it there for a purpose other than eating.

Arnold, this is condescending too. Have I been condescending to you? Do you think this is OK?

Quote:
And the risk involved much more than indigestion. We'll see if we can get there from here.

Your question seems odd to me. Here's a similar question:

Quote:
If I didn't want you to read this, then who posted this?

Isn't the implication that I wanted you to read this? When you asked:

Quote:

then is not the implication that God wanted them to eat that fruit? Is this what you meant to imply?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106462
12/24/08 04:57 PM
12/24/08 04:57 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The God of the Old Testament was misunderstood:

That may be so. But I don't believe that Samuel the prophet was mistaken when he said Saul was in trouble with God for not killing all the Amalekites. Do you think Samuel was correct?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: does God punish? [Re: asygo] #106472
12/24/08 06:38 PM
12/24/08 06:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think Samuel was correct, but that this story, and many others (there's a lot of violence in the OT) are misunderstood, not being interpreted in the light of what Christ has revealed in regards to God's character.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #106535
12/25/08 07:51 PM
12/25/08 07:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your whole theory about God commanding people to kill sinners and Jesus' revelation of God fails to address the truth. Ellen's insight about Jesus' revelation of God was never intended to prove your point, namely, that it wasn't God who commanded people to kill sinners, or that unfavorable circumstances forced Him, against His will and desire, to command people to kill sinners. The idea that God compromised the truth to accommodate the perverted desires of sinners is absurd. The Bible is too plainly worded to be mistaken or misunderstood. Listen to what Ellen said about it:

The truths most plainly revealed in the Bible have been involved in doubt and darkness by learned men, who, with a pretense of great wisdom, teach that the Scriptures have a mystical, a secret, spiritual meaning not apparent in the language employed. These men are false teachers. It was to such a class that Jesus declared: "Ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God." Mark 12:24. The language of the Bible should be explained according to its obvious meaning, unless a symbol or figure is employed. Christ has given the promise: "If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine." John 7:17. If men would but take the Bible as it reads, if there were no false teachers to mislead and confuse their minds, a work would be accomplished that would make angels glad and that would bring into the fold of Christ thousands upon thousands who are now wandering in error. {GC 598.3}

You believe Jesus revealed everything we can know about God, and yet Jesus Himself testified, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now." He deferred certain things to the Holy Spirit. But not even the Holy Spirit can reveal to sinners all there is to know about God. Sinners are simply incapable of comprehending certain things about God. One of them is what God must refer to as His "strange acts" for the simple and obvious reason sinners lack the ability to understand His "strange acts".

At times, it is God's will and purpose to employ the elements of nature to cause death and destruction: Listen:

God controls all these elements; they are his instruments to do his will; he calls them into action to serve his purpose. These fiery issues have been, and will be his agents to blot out from the earth very wicked cities. Like Korah, Dathan and Abiram they go down alive into the pit. These are evidences of God's power. Those who have beheld these burning mountains have been struck with terror at the grandeur of the scene-- pouring forth fire, and flame, and a vast amount of melted ore, drying up rivers and causing them to disappear. They have been filled with awe as though they were beholding the infinite power of God. These manifestations bear the special marks of God's power, and are designed to cause the people of the earth to tremble before him, and to silence those, who like Pharaoh would proudly say, "Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice?" {3SG 80}

You, however, believe Satan caused these things to happen, that they are evidences of his power, that he designed them to make God look bad, and that anyone who believes God caused them to happen, or that it was God's will and purpose for them to happen, is deceived. Your basis for disregarding the obvious meaning of what Ellen wrote about it is the fact Jesus, while He was here, never commanded anyone to kill sinners and never employed the element of nature to cause death and destruction. It amazes me you do this. It even amazes me even more that you insist Ellen expects us to interpret passages like this one the way you do.

Page 11 of 100 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!