HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,067
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Dina, 1 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 100 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 99 100
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #107396
01/10/09 06:07 AM
01/10/09 06:07 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Temptation and desire are seperate, just as being offered a 'date' by a prostitutes is a temptation for sexual sin, but if you have the mind of Christ the desire is not there as you have not bounced it around in your head to the point of creating a 'need' or desire for it. Too many people have developed a 'sweet tooth' for sin and then assume that Christ must have had also had this in his mind, but he never developed it, yet he had the weakened flesh just as we are born with.

Again, there's the issue of the following:

Quote:
Unless there is a possibility of yielding, temptation is no temptation. Temptation is resisted when man is powerfully influenced to do a wrong action and, knowing that he can do it, resists, by faith, with a firm hold upon divine power. This was the ordeal through which Christ passed. (S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, page 1082)

Where's the possibility of yielding in this idea? Or the powerful influence to do a wrong action? Or the ordeal?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #107400
01/10/09 07:51 AM
01/10/09 07:51 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
so you do not see temptation and desire as two separate things?

did Christ toy with temptation as we do?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #107402
01/10/09 11:59 AM
01/10/09 11:59 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Originally Posted By: Tom
Of this very temptation, EGW writes:

Quote:
This last temptation was the most alluring of the three. Redemption; or the Temptation of Christ in The Wilderness (page 51)

So it's clear the temptations in the wilderness, and this one in particular, were alluring to Christ.

Tom, here are the definitions of ALLURING:

Quote:
ALLURING, ppr.
1. Drawing; tempting; inviting by some real or apparent good.
2. a. Inviting; having the quality of attracting or tempting.

In other words, 1. One can find a temptation alluring or tempting, or 2. One can make a temptation alluring or tempting.

Satan made the his temptations as alluring as possible, and of all the temptations,
Quote:
This last temptation was the most alluring of the three. Redemption; or the Temptation of Christ in The Wilderness (page 51)

BUT! That DOES NOT mean that Jesus found these temptations that Satan presented as alluring as he possible could, tempting or alluring. Clearly He did not, for she says ~

Quote:
But Jesus said, "Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." This was to Christ just what the Bible declares it to be--a temptation. Before His sight the tempter held the kingdoms of the world. As Satan saw them, they possessed great external grandeur. (See, Satan made them as "alluring" as possible.) But Christ saw them in a different aspect, just as they were--earthly dominions under the power of a tyrant. He saw humanity full of woe, suffering under the oppressive power of Satan. He saw the earth defiled by hatred, revenge, malice, lust, and murder. He saw fiends in the possession of the bodies and souls of men. (MS 33, 1911). {5BC 1083.5}

Those powerful temptations, the strongest ones Satan could bring upon Christ, found NOTHING within Christ that responded to them...they were repelled immediately...Christ saw them as they really were, not as Satan tried to portray them.

This needs to become and must become our experience - until it does, we are not safe to save. I believe with all my heart, that this is why Jesus has not come back yet, because His people are not ready....that is all He is waiting for.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Rick H] #107403
01/10/09 12:03 PM
01/10/09 12:03 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Originally Posted By: Richard

Temptation and desire are seperate...

Very important and critical point, Richard. Thank you!

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #107404
01/10/09 12:06 PM
01/10/09 12:06 PM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
Originally Posted By: asygo

For example, when Satan showed Him the kingdoms of the world, he showed good, wholesome scenes, not the scenes of sin that attract depraved men like us. So the way Satan attacked Him came from a different angle.

I don't think so, Arnold...these don't sound like good, wholesome scenes~

Quote:
But Jesus said, "Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." This was to Christ just what the Bible declares it to be--a temptation. Before His sight the tempter held the kingdoms of the world. As Satan saw them, they possessed great external grandeur. But Christ saw them in a different aspect, just as they were--earthly dominions under the power of a tyrant. He saw humanity full of woe, suffering under the oppressive power of Satan. He saw the earth defiled by hatred, revenge, malice, lust, and murder. He saw fiends in the possession of the bodies and souls of men (MS 33, 1911). {5BC 1083.5}

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #107405
01/10/09 02:33 PM
01/10/09 02:33 PM
Rick H  Offline
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Of this very temptation, EGW writes:

Quote:

So it's clear the temptations in the wilderness, and this one in particular, were alluring to Christ.

Tom, here are the definitions of ALLURING:

Quote:
ALLURING, ppr.
1. Drawing; tempting; inviting by some real or apparent good.
2. a. Inviting; having the quality of attracting or tempting.

In other words, 1. One can find a temptation alluring or tempting, or 2. One can make a temptation alluring or tempting.

Satan made the his temptations as alluring as possible, and of all the temptations,
Quote:

BUT! That DOES NOT mean that Jesus found these temptations that Satan presented as alluring as he possible could, tempting or alluring. Clearly He did not, for she says ~

Quote:
But Jesus said, "Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." This was to Christ just what the Bible declares it to be--a temptation. Before His sight the tempter held the kingdoms of the world. As Satan saw them, they possessed great external grandeur. (See, Satan made them as "alluring" as possible.) But Christ saw them in a different aspect, just as they were--earthly dominions under the power of a tyrant. He saw humanity full of woe, suffering under the oppressive power of Satan. He saw the earth defiled by hatred, revenge, malice, lust, and murder. He saw fiends in the possession of the bodies and souls of men. (MS 33, 1911). {5BC 1083.5}

Those powerful temptations, the strongest ones Satan could bring upon Christ, found NOTHING within Christ that responded to them...they were repelled immediately...Christ saw them as they really were, not as Satan tried to portray them.

This needs to become and must become our experience - until it does, we are not safe to save. I believe with all my heart, that this is why Jesus has not come back yet, because His people are not ready....that is all He is waiting for.

We all could resist temptation to a strange, dark and evil thing. But Satan doesnt present that, he makes it according to what he thinks we might want, a beautiful fruit to taste for our pallete, a golden calf to dance before and have a party, a great position as the man who 'handled' Christ along with the money bag, none of it seemed evil. We might not be drawn to some sin or even change our mind and stay away from the temptation presented, but once the devil finds what we have let in our head or our tendencies, whether its curiousity, a beautiful body we want to show off, or intelligence which we want everyone to know we have, then he sets the trap. Christ didnt let these idle thoughts percolate in his mind which open you up to temptation and harden into desire, he had no evil tendencies because he never let them develop. We are not born with evil thoughts, but we let them grow as we let them creep into our minds and stay there...

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tom] #107406
01/10/09 03:32 PM
01/10/09 03:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
Tom, I'm afraid your words here could be misconstrued to mean the reason it was hard for Jesus to be tempted like we are is because He found them enticing or alluring.

I was trying to see what words you were talking about. It seemed to me it must be these:

Quote:
If temptations were not tempting to Christ, then the were easy for Him to resist. Why wouldn't they be? What else is there to a temptation that makes it difficult if it's not that it's tempting.

Is this what you were speaking of?

In regards to temptation being alluring for Christ, Ellen White said that. It's not present in what I wrote, although I agree with what she said. She also said that one is tempted when one experiences a powerful influence to do a wrong action, which is the ordeal that Christ passed through. I think we do our soul's a wrong if we make Christ afar from us, as opposed to One close at hand, who experienced our sorrows and temptations, yet overcame by faith. Do you agree?

I don't think temptations were alluring or enticing to Jesus in the same sense they are to unconverted sinners. His fallen flesh craved and clamored for sinful expression, but Jesus Himself was never inclined to sin. The temptations that bombarded Him from within and from without were repulsive to Him. There was nothing alluring or enticing about them. He never wavered between wanting to sin and not wanting to sin. The whole idea of sinning was disgusting to Him. Of course I'm here talking about temptations to indulge something inherently sinful, not to indulge doing something inherently right at the wrong time (i.e. heal someone).

Is this what you're saying? Or, are you saying something else?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: teresaq] #107407
01/10/09 04:30 PM
01/10/09 04:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy
M: Another example. A guy shared this with me recently. When he was a boy there was a girl in school who was very beautiful and shapely, and, unfortunately, less than virtuous. One day a terrible scene played itself out in his mind. It portrayed him forcing himself on her. He was shocked and disgusted, and rejected it as evil and unChristlike.

T: MM, this was NOT the experience of Jesus! This is NOT the experience of the victorious Christian. When Satan tempted Jesus, NOTHING in Jesus responded to the temptation....HE immediately repelled the temptation. This man "played" the temptation "out in his mind"...Jesus NEVER did that. This man lusted for this girl....that is sin.

I agree such scenes did not play themselves out in Jesus’ mind. I’m sorry you thought I said so. I also agree Jesus immediately recognized and resisted the temptations that bombarded Him. However, all temptations begin as unholy thoughts and feelings. We must be conscious of the fact we are being tempted in order to be tempted.

Temptations are not temptations if we’re unconscious of the fact. The boy in my example was disgusted by the images that passed through his mind. The idea of raping the girl was horrible to him. The images were not in the least alluring or enticing to him. This is the point of the story. Just because horrible thoughts and feelings pass through our mind it does mean we are guilty of sinning.

For example, I know a guy who, when he was a boy, the school bully beat his little brother to a pulp. He was on life support for nearly a year. He died several times and had to be revived. Although he was raised as a Christian, he was tempted to kill the bully. Visions of what he was capable of doing flashed across his mind. But he dismissed them as evil and unChristlike. In such cases people are not guilty of sinning, nor is the character corrupted or contaminated.

Do you agree?

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: asygo] #107408
01/10/09 04:59 PM
01/10/09 04:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Unless there is a possibility of yielding, temptation is no temptation. Temptation is resisted when man is powerfully influenced to do a wrong action and, knowing that he can do it, resists, by faith, with a firm hold upon divine power. This was the ordeal through which Christ passed. (S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 5, page 1082)

I don't see how you can reconcile these statements with the idea that Christ's temptations were not tempting. Also we are told that the strength of Christ's temptations are incomprehensible to man. What does "strength" of temptation mean if not that the temptation is tempting?

On the mountaintop Satan offered Jesus a shortcut or alternate path that bypassed the cross. This was the same issue Jesus wrestled with in Gethsemane. The allurement, enticement consisted of doing something inherently right (i.e. redeeming sinners). The strength of such temptations were indeed incomprehensibly strong. Things that are inherently wrong were never alluring or enticing to Jesus. He resisted them without hesitation. Such temptations possessed no strength whatsoever. Thus it may be with us, yea, must be with us. In Christ it is so.

Re: Christ Desired and Lusted to Sin? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #107411
01/10/09 06:25 PM
01/10/09 06:25 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Originally Posted By: asygo

For example, when Satan showed Him the kingdoms of the world, he showed good, wholesome scenes, not the scenes of sin that attract depraved men like us. So the way Satan attacked Him came from a different angle.

I don't think so, Arnold...

i believe this is what he was referring to...

Quote:
Placing Jesus upon a high mountain, Satan caused the kingdoms of the world, in all their glory, to pass in panoramic view before Him. The sunlight lay on templed cities, marble palaces, fertile fields, and fruit-laden vineyards. The traces of evil were hidden. The eyes of Jesus, so lately greeted by gloom and desolation, now gazed upon a scene of unsurpassed loveliness and prosperity. Then the tempter's voice was heard: "All this power will I give Thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If Thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be Thine." {DA 129.2}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 12 of 100 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 99 100

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/18/24 11:18 AM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!