HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108563
02/18/09 02:05 AM
02/18/09 02:05 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Your argument, Bob, is that because so many denominations agree with a certain viewpoint, it must be the case that the Bible is clear on this point? You seem to recognize the fallacy of this reasoning as you bring up, and rightly so, the Sabbath as a counter example. Both the point of view you've been expressing in regards to the meaning of Christ's death (you've only mentioned one thing among many that Christ accomplished by His death, by the way) have more to do with tradition than with clarity in Scripture.

While I agree with your conclusion (that Scripture is clear as to why Christ died), I think a better way of reaching this conclusion is simply to consider the consequences of assuming the converse. That is, let's assume the Scriptures are not clear. What does that imply?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108580
02/18/09 04:55 PM
02/18/09 04:55 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
My argument is that those non-SDA denominations did not get their ideas about subtitutionary atonement from the dreams and visions of Ellen White, so when we look at the texts given here that point to that very conclusion - we can not assume that one really needs the visions of Ellen White to get there rather than just the Bible.

My argument with Sabbath is that no matter how clear a point is from the Bible - it does not mean that all will recognize it.

Certainly an interesting discussion could be had with Christians of all groups abouth whether their view of a given Bible doctrine is based more on tradition than an objective exegetical review of the text.

In any case - it is clear that Ellen White's visions are in agreement with this same substitutionary atonement concept I point to in these texts and that other non-SDA groups point to as well. If the argument is that all this agreement is being benefitted by long standing Christian tradition that just so happens to agree with what Ellen White saw in vision - then so be it. I suppose that too is possible. But in my own view - I think the texts point to it.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/18/09 04:57 PM.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108591
02/18/09 07:36 PM
02/18/09 07:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
A similar apparent discrepancy exists in Ellen White's writings, which we've been through in great detail, so there's no need to rehash these things here. I'm just making the point that because one person interprets writings one way and another interprets them another does not mean the writer is not being clear.

To me its rather astounding to suggest that Jesus Christ did not clearly teach the meaning of His death.

Yes, it astounding that He didn't clearly explain why He had to die. It also astounding that Moses didn't clearly explain it, or any other Bible writer, for that matter.

Quote:
You didn't comment on my corollaries.

1.Nobody knew until Sister White why Jesus Christ had to die.
2.Nobody knows now except for SDA's.

It seems these points would follow from the idea that nobody except for Sister White clearly explained the reason for Christ's death. Actually, you said no inspired person did so, so perhaps you would say that there was some non-inspired person before Ellen White who explained it clearly, so others could have gotten it from that. But they wouldn't be able to explain it from Scripture. Is this correct?

1. The long history of debate over this very issue makes it clear to me that it wasn't clear to everyone prior to God explaining it "clearly" to His Remnant Church through means of His vessel chosen for this very purpose (i.e. to clearly explain the truth).

2. The debate still wages within Christendom to this day. There are some who are in agreement with the explanation God shared with His Remnant Church through the gift and calling of Ellen White.

PS - The key word here is "clearly". I agree it is implied or alluded to in the Bible, but it is not so clearly explained so as to circumvent centuries of debate and doubt.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108592
02/18/09 07:46 PM
02/18/09 07:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
My argument is that those non-SDA denominations did not get their ideas about subtitutionary atonement from the dreams and visions of Ellen White, so when we look at the texts given here that point to that very conclusion - we can not assume that one really needs the visions of Ellen White to get there rather than just the Bible.

The problem is they may have gotten it from some other source besides the Bible.

Quote:
My argument with Sabbath is that no matter how clear a point is from the Bible - it does not mean that all will recognize it.

I agree, both with your point and your argument to establish that point.

Quote:
Certainly an interesting discussion could be had with Christians of all groups abouth whether their view of a given Bible doctrine is based more on tradition than an objective exegetical review of the text.

This applies to our denomination as well.

Quote:
There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation." Review and Herald, Dec. 20, 1892

Quote:
In any case - it is clear that Ellen White's visions are in agreement with this same substitutionary atonement concept I point to in these texts and that other non-SDA groups point to as well. If the argument is that all this agreement is being benefitted by long standing Christian tradition that just so happens to agree with what Ellen White saw in vision - then so be it. I suppose that too is possible. But in my own view - I think the texts point to it.

I think it's clear that you think that Ellen White's visions are in agreement with the concept you presented, and I would also agree that other non-SDA groups have a similar concept to what you shared. However, your concept could be wrong, but it could still be the case that the Bible clearly teaches why Christ had to die. I think it's a mistake to formulate an argument which is dependent upon how you view things.

What I'm suggesting is that we can consider the proposition that the Bible is not clear regarding why Christ had to die (the converse of MM's assertion) as see what the implications of that are. If the implications are unacceptable, then we can reject MM's assertion, regardless of what our particular views on the subject are.

I've mentioned two things which would follow from MM's suggestion:

1.Before Ellen White, nobody understood, on the basis of something inspired, why Christ had to die.
2.Even now non-SDA's do not understand why Christ had to die, since they don't have her writings to rely upon, unless they got their understanding from some uninspired source.

I rewrote them slightly. I think the way I've put them here is clearer than how I wrote them before.

Another implication that comes to mind is that if Ellen White is clear on this vital topic, but Scripture is not, then she sort of becomes the greater light, and Scripture the lesser light, so when we speak of the lesser light pointing to the greater light we would have a totally different meaning.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108593
02/18/09 07:53 PM
02/18/09 07:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan

Bob, are you saying you've heard of Christians who disagree that the fourth commandment commanded the Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath on Saturday? If so, please post the online links so I can see it for myself. Thank you.

The original underlying purpose behind the question that serves as the title for this thread (it was imported from a different thread) was to prove or to disprove the penal substitution view of why Jesus had to die. Tom is convinced neither the Bible nor the SOP endorse it. I agree with you that both do, but I'm not as sure as you are that it is "clearly" explained in the Bible.

Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." And the flowing of the blood from the victim would also signify an atonement. There was no virtue in the blood of animals; but the shedding of the blood of beasts was to point forward to a Redeemer who would one day come to the world and die for the sins of men. And thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law. {Con 21.3}

These are the clearest inspired statements there are in support of the penal substitution view. Tom, however, believes they clearly disprove it.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108594
02/18/09 08:01 PM
02/18/09 08:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I slipped in a response to your post while you were busy responding to Bobryan.

PS - I should add that dullness on the part of the disciples probably accounts for why Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108595
02/18/09 08:18 PM
02/18/09 08:18 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The original underlying purpose behind the question that serves as the title for this thread (it was imported from a different thread) was to prove or to disprove the penal substitution view of why Jesus had to die. Tom is convinced neither the Bible nor the SOP endorse it. I agree with you that both do, but I'm not as sure as you are that it is "clearly" explained in the Bible.

This is wrong, MM, and it is because of carelessness in these sorts of assertions that I ask you to quote things. The thread which spawned this question was the one about whether or not understanding is necessary to obey God. The post I got it from is #108453.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss your assertion that Scripture does not clearly teach why Jesus Christ had to die. I see no need to discuss Ellen White quotes to do so.

It is not the purpose of this thread to discuss any of my assertions or views. Please don't derail this thread. It's purpose is to discuss your idea that Scripture does not clearly teach why Christ had to die. There are other threads, several in fact, which deal with the Penal Substitution view. I don't think we need to go into detail about that here.

Thanks.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108596
02/18/09 08:24 PM
02/18/09 08:24 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I should add that dullness on the part of the disciples probably accounts for why Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die.

This is assuming, of course, that Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die. It's pretty amazing to me the one could think that Jesus would neglect to explain such a vital topic. We have pages upon pages of teachings from Jesus. None of these teachings deal with His death?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108600
02/18/09 09:53 PM
02/18/09 09:53 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:

Quote:
Mountain Man

Bob, are you saying you've heard of Christians who disagree that the fourth commandment commanded the Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath on Saturday? If so, please post the online links so I can see it for myself. Thank you.

I am saying that we have everything under the sun being proposed for Ex 20 including "they were told to worship one day in seven and they just so happened to pick Saturday" - to "the seven days of creation week are not the same as what the 4th commandment says" to "the commandments remain valid -- but not the 4th one" to "nine of the commandments are moral - the 4th commandment is ceremonial"...

Etc.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108602
02/18/09 10:02 PM
02/18/09 10:02 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:
Ellen White

Quote:
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." And the flowing of the blood from the victim would also signify an atonement. There was no virtue in the blood of animals; but the shedding of the blood of beasts was to point forward to a Redeemer who would one day come to the world and die for the sins of men. And thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law. {Con 21.3}

Quote:
Mountain Man
These are the clearest inspired statements there are in support of the penal substitution view. Tom, however, believes they clearly disprove it.

I agree that she does a nice job of grouping the points together - but they are all in scripture.

BTW -- please post the link where your quote of Ellen White above was the text used to argue against substitutionary atoning sacrifice.

Heb 10:4-5 -- no value in animal blood
Heb 9 - without the shedding of blood no forgiveness of sins
1Cor 5 -- Christ our passover has been slain
Col 2:14-15 -- Christ nailed our "certificate of DEBT to the cross" NASB
Is 53 He took the stroke of punishment for US to whom the "stroke was due"
1 John 2:2 "His is the Atoning Sacrifice for Our SINS and not for our SINS only but for the SINS of the whole world"
And of course as Ellen White notes "the wages of sin is death" Romans 6 and in Rev 20 we see that "second death" punishment that is "the wages of sin". Because it is the one where the wicked are tormented in "fire and brimstone".

1. We get no doctrine at all from Ellen White -- we get it all Sola Scriptura according to FB#1.

2. Ellen White's statements above are very concise paraphrased versions of what we find in scripture on these key points.

3. Because it is so clearly stated in scripture -- it is to be expected that many other Christian denominations would also get this point -- without any need to read Ellen White.

In Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/18/09 10:05 PM.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!