HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108603
02/18/09 10:06 PM
02/18/09 10:06 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
I should add that dullness on the part of the disciples probably accounts for why Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die.

This is assuming, of course, that Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die. It's pretty amazing to me the one could think that Jesus would neglect to explain such a vital topic. We have pages upon pages of teachings from Jesus. None of these teachings deal with His death?

Well - there is that John 6 thing...

in Christ,

Bob

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108608
02/18/09 11:21 PM
02/18/09 11:21 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
BTW -- please post the link where your quote of Ellen White above was the text used to argue against substitutionary atoning sacrifice.

This sounds like there may be some confusion here. First of all, I'm the one arguing against the penal view, not MM. Secondly, I agree that Christ was a substitutionary atoning sacrifice, just not with the typical penal explanation as to why (or perhaps, more accurately, what this means). I agree with what Waggoner wrote when he said:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry with men (or sin) that he will not forgive them unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.0 "And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death." Col. 1:21, 22.

I added "(or sin)".

I'm not really wanting to use this thread to discuss this, however, but I'm quite happy to discuss this further with you if you'd like. Just let me know, and I'll bump a thread discussing this. Or could do it yourself by doing a search on the word "penal."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108618
02/19/09 03:39 AM
02/19/09 03:39 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
In the quote of Waggoner we see one glaring error simply "inserted" and we see one stellar point of insight regarding the term "propitiation" and "appeasement".

1. Waggoner apparently inserts that man decided to have the sacrifice of Christ... as innexplicable as that logic is...

2. But Waggoner is correct to complain about the "propitiation" translation -- it really should be exactly as the NIV has it "Atoning Sacrifice" because in the model of Atonment "God so LOVED that HE GAVE..." but in propitiation-appeasement "Christ so suffered that the angry deity finally relented".

Waggoner is correct to notice the mistranslation -- but is wrong to simply insert the idea that humans came up with this solution.

As Ellen White points out - Adam and Eve found the solution to be horrific.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108621
02/19/09 04:29 AM
02/19/09 04:29 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
In the quote of Waggoner we see one glaring error simply "inserted" and we see one stellar point of insight regarding the term "propitiation" and "appeasement".

1. Waggoner apparently inserts that man decided to have the sacrifice of Christ... as innexplicable as that logic is...

Waggoner was arguing against a viewpoint he felt was false. Where to you think he was asserting man decided to have the sacrifice of Christ? Please quote where you think he was doing this.

Quote:
2. But Waggoner is correct to complain about the "propitiation" translation -- it really should be exactly as the NIV has it "Atoning Sacrifice" because in the model of Atonment "God so LOVED that HE GAVE..." but in propitiation-appeasement "Christ so suffered that the angry deity finally relented".

I agree completely with the idea that God so love that He gave. Here's a nice EGW quote that touches on the distinction that you're raising:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 686)

Quote:
Waggoner is correct to notice the mistranslation -- but is wrong to simply insert the idea that humans came up with this solution.

It's not really so much a mistranslation as a wrong idea as to what the issue is. The correct translation is actually "mercy seat." The only translation I'm aware of that has it right is Young's Literal Translation:

Quote:
24being declared righteous freely by His grace through the redemption that [is] in Christ Jesus,

25whom God did set forth a mercy seat, through the faith in his blood, for the shewing forth of His righteousness, because of the passing over of the bygone sins in the forbearance of God --

26for the shewing forth of His righteousness in the present time, for His being righteous, and declaring him righteous who [is] of the faith of Jesus.

The word is actually "hilasterion," which means "mercy seat," just as Young's has it. Although I'm not aware of any other translations that have it right, I haven't checked all of them, so perhaps some other one does.

Quote:

Again, Waggoner was arguing against an idea he thought was false. He didn't assert that humans came up with the solution. Not at all. I don't understand why you think this is the case.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108642
02/19/09 07:37 PM
02/19/09 07:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
I should add that dullness on the part of the disciples probably accounts for why Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die.

This is assuming, of course, that Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die. It's pretty amazing to me the one could think that Jesus would neglect to explain such a vital topic. We have pages upon pages of teachings from Jesus. None of these teachings deal with His death?

Again, the operative word here is "clearly". And, yes, Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die. Long years of debate and disagreement is proof Jesus did not clearly explain it. Nor did any other Bible writer. Yes, it is implied, but it is not so clear as to prevent any debate or disagreement.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108643
02/19/09 07:47 PM
02/19/09 07:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Tom, it is difficult to discuss why Jesus had to die without including the penal substitution aspect of it. Law and justice requires God to execute the death penalty the instant people sin. The law does not provide pardon. It either condones or condemns sinners. Only God can pardon and save sinners. In this regard the law is not a transcript of God's character.

"For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." The death penalty would have been executed in the day they sinned had Jesus not implemented the plan of salvation. Listen:

Christ, in counsel with His Father, instituted the system of sacrificial offerings; that death, instead of being immediately visited upon the transgressor, should be transferred to a victim which should prefigure the great and perfect offering of the son of God (Ibid., March 14, 1878). {1BC 1104.5}

Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in his case?--Because a ransom was found. God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. There could have been no pardon for sin had this atonement not been made. {1BC 1082.6}

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108644
02/19/09 07:53 PM
02/19/09 07:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Bob, I am reposting this post for your convenience:

Originally Posted By: Bobryan
My argument with Sabbath is that no matter how clear a point is from the Bible - it does not mean that all will recognize it.

Bob, are you saying you've heard of Christians who disagree that the fourth commandment commanded the Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath on Saturday? If so, please post the online links so I can see it for myself. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Bobryan
In any case - it is clear that Ellen White's visions are in agreement with this same substitutionary atonement concept I point to in these texts and that other non-SDA groups point to as well. If the argument is that all this agreement is being benefitted by long standing Christian tradition that just so happens to agree with what Ellen White saw in vision - then so be it. I suppose that too is possible. But in my own view - I think the texts point to it.

The original underlying purpose behind the question that serves as the title for this thread (it was imported from a different thread) was to prove or to disprove the penal substitution view of why Jesus had to die. Tom is convinced neither the Bible nor the SOP endorse it. I agree with you that both do, but I'm not as sure as you are that it is "clearly" explained in the Bible.

Ellen wrote:

Quote:
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man's sin. The beasts for sacrificial offerings were to prefigure Christ. In the slain victim, man was to see the fulfillment for the time being of God's word, "Thou shalt surely die." And the flowing of the blood from the victim would also signify an atonement. There was no virtue in the blood of animals; but the shedding of the blood of beasts was to point forward to a Redeemer who would one day come to the world and die for the sins of men. And thus Christ would fully vindicate His Father's law. {Con 21.3}

These are the clearest inspired statements there are in support of the penal substitution view. Tom, however, believes they clearly disprove it.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108645
02/19/09 07:59 PM
02/19/09 07:59 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M:I should add that dullness on the part of the disciples probably accounts for why Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die.

T:This is assuming, of course, that Jesus did not clearly explain why He had to die. It's pretty amazing to me the one could think that Jesus would neglect to explain such a vital topic. We have pages upon pages of teachings from Jesus. None of these teachings deal with His death?

M:Again, the operative word here is "clearly". And, yes, Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die.

We're not discussing what Jesus explained to His disciples, only what we see in Scripture. Of course, Jesus explained many things to them which are not recorded in Scripture, so we can't really comment on that.

Quote:
Long years of debate and disagreement is proof Jesus did not clearly explain it.

No it's not. Bob's argument regarding the Sabbath refutes this idea.

Quote:
Nor did any other Bible writer. Yes, it is implied, but it is not so clear as to prevent any debate or disagreement.

Again, you're suffering under a false assumption here, which is that the understanding of spiritual things which is that if something is clearly written it will be understood. As Bob pointed out, the Scripture is clear regarding the Sabbath, yet there has been much debate and disagreement regarding this.

I know you think that the SOP was clear about this, as opposed to Scripture, which you think wasn't, but you're criteria, applied to her writings would have her categorized as not clear as well. There have been long years of debate and disagreement regarding why Christ had to die viz a viz her writings, for over 50 years I think. So, again, if that's the criteria we use to determine whether or not an inspired writing is clear or not, we would be constrained to conclude that no inspired writing is clear on this subject.

Quote:
PS - Tom, it is difficult to discuss why Jesus had to die without including the penal substitution aspect of it.

I understand that for someone like yourself, operating from the paradigm you have, would have difficulty doing so, so I'm not objecting to the subject coming up here, just to the topic being derailed. Let's remember the topic is if Scripture is clear as to why Jesus Christ had to die. As long as we're discussing penal substitution in this context, that's fine. If you wish to discuss whether or not it is true, let's bring up another thread for that, which already discusses this, OK?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108684
02/20/09 04:01 AM
02/20/09 04:01 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:

Waggoner was arguing against a viewpoint he felt was false. Where to you think he was asserting man decided to have the sacrifice of Christ? Please quote where you think he was doing this.

I was referring to this -

I agree with what Waggoner wrote when he said:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased.

But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.

It is the height of absurdity to say that God is so angry with men (or sin) that he will not forgive them unless something is provided to appease his wrath, and that therefore he himself offers the gift to himself, by which he is appeased.0 "And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death." Col. 1:21, 22.

I added "(or sin)".

When Waggoner argues "we require the sacrifice not God" the conclusion I drew was that he was arguing that we in some way insisted on this as being the solution for sin -- when in fact it is God that insists that this substitutionary atoning sacrifice model is the only satisfactory solution for sin.

I suppose it is possible that Waggoner is simply saying that in God's providence the solution for sin needed to save mankind - was the substitutionary atonement process that He alone devised.

To which I would asy - that since it is a system of atonement and not appeasement - the term propitiation is not as accurate as "Atoning Sacrifice" NIV 1John 2:2.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/20/09 04:06 AM.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108685
02/20/09 04:13 AM
02/20/09 04:13 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
My argument with Sabbath is that no matter how clear a point is from the Bible - it does not mean that all will recognize it.

Quote:
MM
Bob, are you saying you've heard of Christians who disagree that the fourth commandment commanded the Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath on Saturday? If so, please post the online links so I can see it for myself. Thank you.

My reference to Exodus 20:8-11 and clarity was to point out that all the texts that speak to the subject of Sabbath are clear

Is 66 in the New Heaven and New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath... Shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship". Showing the eternal unnending nature of Sabbath with the "scope" being "all mankind"

Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was Made for MANKIND not mankind Made for the Sabbath" speaking to the making of both -- in Gen 1-2:3 Showing the origin "making" of the Sabbath and the scope to be all "mankind".

Exo 20:8-11 showing the Sabbath memorial to be moral code in the heart of the 10 commandments - affirming both the summary of Creation week as a literal 7 day event and affirming the Sabbath as a pre-sin pre-salvation concept applicable at the level of moral law.

-----------------

My point stated in brief was that no matter how clear this is in scripture -- not all will agree to it (due to the flaws in human nature - not a flaw in the text).

In Christ,

Bob

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!