HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,963
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 27
kland 24
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108929
02/25/09 12:14 AM
02/25/09 12:14 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'll clarify what I posted above. Oral tradition that is based on the true understanding of why Jesus had to die goes back to Jesus and Moses. Nevertheless, it is not clearly articulated in the Bible. Apparently, it is something the authors of the Bible took for granted.

This is a pretty fanciful hypothesis, IMO. I doubt you'll get any supporters for this idea.

Quote:
T: So we would be led to conclude that before Ellen White, the world was in the dark as to why Christ had to die.

M:Not if we accept my explanation above.

Which is pretty hard to do. It's really hard to imagine that God would choose not to include this teaching in Scripture. I guess you don't think understanding Jesus' death is very important (this is assuming that God inspires important things to be included in Scripture).

Quote:
Justification is a fruit of the death of Jesus, but the doctrine doesn't explain why Jesus had to die. Yes, it is implied, but it is not explicitly explained.

My point was that justification by faith cannot be clearly articulated without understanding and articulating why Jesus died. Therefore if Christ's death was not clearly articulated, then neither was justification by faith.

Quote:
Again, such things are fruits of the death of Jesus, but they do not clearly explain why Jesus' death was required, why it wasn't optional. Yes, it is implied, but it is not explicitly explained.

Peter explains that Jesus Christ died to bring us to God. This is clearly explaining why Jesus Christ died. He did so in order to bring us to God.

Paul explains the same thing in Romans when he speaks of our being reconciled to God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109027
02/26/09 08:01 PM
02/26/09 08:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Let's take the subject of why Jesus had to die and see how it plays out. Where in the Bible, using the "line upon line" method, is it clearly explained why Jesus had to die? And, then, where does it specifically say Jesus had to die to 1) influence and motivate sinners to love and obey God, and 2) die in our place because law and justice require death in consequence of sin?

T: Regarding where in the Bible, there are many spots, a number of which have been mentioned already. Isaiah 53, 2 Cor. 5:14-21, Gal. 2:20-3:13, John 3, Romans 3-Romans 6 (don't know where to stop here, Paul was talking about this constantly in Romans, but 3:21-27 and 5:12-18 are a couple of places within this chunk that especially touches on it).

Obviously none of these passages CLEARLY explain why Jesus had to die. Yes, they allude to it, but they do not clearly explain it. That's been my point all along.

Regarding influence, 2 Cor. 5:14-15, Gal. 2:20, and John 3:16 are three texts that come mind.

Again, neither one of these texts clearly say Jesus' death motivates sinners to love and obey God. Also, are you suggesting this is the only thing the Bible clearly says about why Jesus had to die? Or, if you believe there are others reasons why He had to die, then please post the passages that clearly teach them.

Regarding justice, as you conceive of it, I would agree with you that there are not Scripture texts which clearly teach this.

What are you suggesting, Tom? Are you suggesting it is implied rather than clearly explained? If not, please explain what you mean. Thank you.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109035
02/26/09 10:46 PM
02/26/09 10:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Obviously none of these passages CLEARLY explain why Jesus had to die. Yes, they allude to it, but they do not clearly explain it. That's been my point all along.

"Allude" means:

Quote:
make a more or less disguised reference to

This isn't what these passages are doing. They have, specifically, the death of Christ in mind, and they make an explanation of that fact. In the case of Paul, he goes on for chapter after chapter.

Peter says that Christ died "to bring us to God." What's not clear about that?

Jesus Christ explained His death to Moses. According to the SOP, Moses got it when Jesus (ironically enough) cited Moses. Why do you think Jesus Christ's explanation was not clear?

Quote:
T:Regarding influence, 2 Cor. 5:14-15, Gal. 2:20, and John 3:16 are three texts that come mind.

M:Again, neither one of these texts clearly say Jesus' death motivates sinners to love and obey God.

Sure they do.

Quote:
14For the love of Christ controls and urges and impels us, because we are of the opinion and conviction that [if] One died for all, then all died;

15And He died for all, so that all those who live might live no longer to and for themselves, but to and for Him Who died and was raised again for their sake.

There couldn't be a clearer statement of Christ's death motivating us than this. Here's something I found online:

Quote:
How does God motivate this change?

Not by fear-threat. Not by duty-obligation. Unfortunately, Christians have usually resorted to these to motivate people to live for Christ ("GOD WILL GET YOU;" "HE HAS DONE SO MUCH FOR YOU - YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO RETURN THE FAVOR"). Both of these can produce behavioral change, but the change is superficial: you do the bare minimum, you comply grudgingly, etc. The church is filled w/ people living this way and it is a tragedy because God never intended or desired this.

God motivates this change by love (vs 14a: sunecho - impels; urges on).

There is no more powerful motivator in the human realm than love (MYSELF: "The ones who have loved me the most have changed me the most."). Nothing produces zeal and loyalty and the willingness to gladly go beyond what is required like love.

The same is true in the spiritual realm. God's love has the ability to completely revolutionize your life. This is why Paul always prayed that his converts would keep growing in their comprehension of God's love for them (read Eph. 3:18,19).

How do you get motivated by Christ's love?

Notice the connection between vs 14a & vs 14b: it is the result of forming conclusions (krinantas) about the meaning of Christ's death - that he died in your place and for you. As you learn what the Bible teaches about the cross, and as you choose to believe it, the Holy Spirit enables you to experience the motivating power of his love in your life (Rom 5:5).

This is why new Christians are so motivated to serve Christ. They don't serve him because they are afraid of him, or because they feel they "have to." They can't stop themselves from talking to him & talking about him to others, etc. Why? Because they have "tasted of the kindness of the Lord" (1 Pet. 2:3) - they have freshly experienced the power of Christ's love by believing in his work on the cross to forgive them.

But this motivation wanes unless it is cultivated by continuing to learn more about the work of the cross, and reflecting on it and believing in it.

Are you an unmotivated Christian - just going through the motions to keep up appearances, or out of duty to God? You need to ask God to illuminate your heart to grasp in a fresh and deeper way the work of the cross - and then go to the Bible's explanation of it. Remind of 2 Cor. 3:18;4:16,18.

So that this text explains how Christ's death motivates us is readily seen.

Quote:
Also, are you suggesting this is the only thing the Bible clearly says about why Jesus had to die?

I just answered your question. You requested texts which explained how Christ's death motivates us, so I provided some.

Quote:
Or, if you believe there are others reasons why He had to die, then please post the passages that clearly teach them.

I'll see if I can do this later tonight. If I can't, you can remind me.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109041
02/27/09 02:57 AM
02/27/09 02:57 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you would fail in a court of law to prove that the Bible clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Reasonable doubt would be your undoing.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109055
02/27/09 10:37 AM
02/27/09 10:37 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Tom, you would fail in a court of law to prove that the Bible clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Reasonable doubt would be your undoing.

Mountain Man,

Unfortunately, this is a moot point. You would also fail in a court of law, for the same stated reason and possibly others besides, if you tried there to prove any of the following:

1) Jesus was God.
2) The Bible is God's Word.
3) A place called "Heaven" exists.
4) There is life after death.
5) God created the world.
6) The devil exists.

The fact is, all of the above would have been proven in a court of law already if such were possible, owing to debates such as Creation vs. Evolution, Sanctity of Life (abortion), Marriage, and "the devil made me do it!

Obviously, a court of law has no real interest in a Christian discussion.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Green Cochoa] #109056
02/27/09 12:30 PM
02/27/09 12:30 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Or, if you believe there are others reasons why He had to die, then please post the passages that clearly teach them.

Ok, of course this is a subject which will be the study of eternity, so any answer to this question would be inadequate. But I'll try to provide here a brief outline of some themes which Scripture presents, and if you're interested in studying these further, I would probably help in providing references to resources for further study.

First of all, in studying the meaning of Christ's death, it's important that we not isolate His death from His life. Christ's death can only be understood in the context of His life. In a nutshell, the purpose of Christ's death is explained succinctly by the following SOP statement:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

The "whole purpose" of Christ's mission on earth (which includes His death, of course) was "to set men right through the revelation of God."

So one can categorize the different themes involved under the umbrella of "revelation of God."

Of course, you asked for reasons based on Scripture, so let's go there. The above quotation was basically simply EGW commenting on John 17, so we'll look at that:

Quote:
3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
Jesus Prays for His Disciples
6"I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world.

Here Jesus brings out that He revealed God (this is the principle verse EGW was commenting on above) which is the underlying theme of John in general. Verse 3 points out that eternal life comes by knowing God. Christ's fundamental purpose, as far as man is concerned, as that we might have eternal life by knowing God. For this purpose, He revealed God. So one theme of Scripture is that the death of Christ (actually His life, but His death was a part of that life, and the apex in terms of revealing God) is as revelation. In Christ's death, we see God revealed.

So what are some texts which deal with this theme?

First of all, we see texts in John scattered about. John 1:18 speaks of how Christ has shown us what God is really like. When Jesus spoke to Nicodemus, He explained to him that He would be lifted up like the serpent in the wilderness, bringing out the principle of "look and live." By seeing the love of God revealed at the cross, we are drawn to God, and led to repent of our sins, to ask and receive forgiveness for them, that we may be reconciled to God, and have peace with Him.

Using this as a segue, these are all purposes which Scripture discusses, Paul in particular, that by Jesus Christ we are led to repentance of our sins (Rom. 2:3,4), that we receive forgiveness of sins (Rom. 4), reconciled to God (2 Cor. 5; Rom. 5; 1 Pet 2:24, 25; 3:18) and have peace with God (Rom. 5:1). Of course these themes are discussed in many places in Scripture.

You already mentioned the aspect of motivation, which 2 Cor. 5:14, 15 and Gal. 2:20 are a couple of good places which discuss this.

Another theme we see presented at length in Scripture is that of Christ as healer. In regards to Christ's death, Isa. 53 in particular brings out this aspect, and this chapter is cited in numerous places in the NT, including, just off the top of my head, Matt. 8:17 and 1 Pet. 2:24, 25. The NASB (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isa%2053;&version=49;) has over 30 references it looks like from Isa. 53, so this would be a good place to see how NT writers develop this theme.

Other themes involving man involve inheritance (Eph. 1; Romans 4:13; 2 Pet. 3; Gal. 3:18), the Kingdom of God (Matthew; too many places to cite), redemption (Eph. 1:7), and service (Mark 10:42-45; John 13:1-17; John 12:24)

Ok, we've discussed a bit what Christ's death accomplished in terms of man (healing, eternal life, knowing God, forgiveness of sin, peace with God, repentance, revelation of God). Another aspect to consider is the more far-reaching purposes involving the universe.

Colossians brings out that the reconciliation which Christ effects is not only for man, but the universe. John touches on this theme as well (John 11:32; other verses I can't remember off the top of my head which speak of the "cosmos").

In basic terms, we can say that Christ's death served the purpose of defeating the powers of darkness (again emphasizing that we're really speaking of Christ's life and death here, as Christ's death should be seen as extension of His life). This is the underlying theme of the Gospels as a whole, especially the Synoptic Gospels. Paul develops this theme in a number of places, including Romans, Ephesians and Colossians (Col. 2:15 is an especially good verse regarding this; also Eph. 1:20-23).

This is the theme of Christus Victor, which is present in a massive number of texts, especially throughout Revelation, of which Rev. 12:10 is a nice verse. So is John 12:31. Col. 2:15 and Eph. 1:20-23 have already been mentioned.

Ok, this is woefully inadequate, but here are a few of the themes mentioned in the NT in terms of the meaning of Christ's death, by no means exhaustive.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109057
02/27/09 12:33 PM
02/27/09 12:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding doubt:

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant. Yet God has never removed the possibility of doubt. Our faith must rest upon evidence, not demonstration. Those who wish to doubt will have opportunity; while those who really desire to know the truth will find plenty of evidence on which to rest their faith. (SC 105)

For those with eyes to see, there is ample evidence in Scripture as to the meaning of Christ's death being clearly explained.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109058
02/27/09 12:37 PM
02/27/09 12:37 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding an explanation from the SOP that Christ's death (again = Christ's life and death, but includes the meaning of Christ's death) is clearly explained in Scripture, the chapter "The Road to Emmaus" from "The Desire of Ages" develops this idea (and Moses is specifically mentioned!).

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109077
02/27/09 05:33 PM
02/27/09 05:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, let's leave it at this - You believe the Bible clearly explains why Jesus had to live and die. I believe it is implied but not explicitly explained.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109079
02/27/09 05:47 PM
02/27/09 05:47 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What about justification by faith? Would you say the same thing is true about that? (i.e., implied by the Bible, but not explicitly explained)

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/15/24 02:59 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/15/24 11:53 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by dedication. 09/15/24 12:06 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!