HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily, TheophilusOne), 1,877 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 100 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108875
02/24/09 03:29 AM
02/24/09 03:29 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bob

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the wicked will not suffer or die in the judgment, but there's different ways of viewing this event. One way is as Ty Gibson has laid out, which is that punishment is organic to sin itself.

indeed that is an interesting option - but as I keep pointing out there is nothing "organic" about the 2nd coming where Christ is "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" to the wicked (a point that Ty never brings himself to actually address in his comments posted on this thread).

And as pointed out there is "nothing organic" about dust of Rev 20 being resurrected after the 1000 years or about the Great White Throne Judgment or the manufactured lake of fire or the "torment of fire and brimstone in the presence of the Lamb" in Rev 14:10-11 or all the "exact payment" language we saw in GC speaking to the subject of the Law and the penalty of sin and how it is paid in the lake of fire etc.

The mounds of non-organic examples given simply do not allow for a general hand-waive and sweep so as to re-cast it all as "organic".

Originally Posted By: Tom

This is what we've been discussing. To simply assert this is not the case is not an argument.

Indeed - that is why I keep referring to the texts and various other quotes that are piling up in this regard as well as the need to engage in a sola-scriptura solution that relies on solid exegesis -- so that is avoiding emotional appeals at every turn.

Quote:

As I've been pointing out, it is organic,

Actually you have not gone through the exercise of taking these extremely disconfirming texts and exegeting them to show that - or to point out that -- it is in fact organic.

But your recent statements that it might be interesting to cover all the manufactured and architected solutions we see in those texts and call it all "organic" as if to say 'well naturally God reveals himself in flaming fire dealing out retribution" once wickedness reaches a certain point -- as if 'organic' and supernatural intervention are to be re-cast as the same concept.

Quote:

and I've been presenting evidence that this is the case.

Just not in the actual text that form a problem for that view.

The mounds of non-organic examples given simply do not allow for a general hand-waive and sweep so as to re-cast it all as "organic".

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "it all." What specifically has been asserted is that punishment is organic to sin. This is what Ty said.

Quote:
T:If we view punishment as organic to sin, then it makes perfect sense

B:If the policman is "organic to crime" and the jail house is "organic to crime" and the Judge and Jury are all "organic to crime" and the electric chair is "organic to crime" -- then we have changed the definition for "organic" to cover almost every conceivable non-organic fact one could imagine.

Or we could change our view as to what is happening in the judgment.

As we look at the text describing God as "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" we instantly see that this is not "our view God is expressing" -- it is His.

Re-labelling it all with the term "organic" does nothing to lessen the horrific event of sinner tormented in fire and brimstone in the presence of the Lamb "AND of His Holy ones".

It's not a question of re-labeling, but an understanding of what's actually happening.

I think the idea here is that these Rev 14:10-11, 2Thess 1 texts are telling us from God's POV "What's actually happening".

As you pointed out it is the ACT it is the burning it is the fact that the wicked are being kept alive to suffer the exact amount of torment that is the issue no matter how many times we want to use the word "organic" when we see each of those details as described in the texts given.

This sentence badly needs to be split up, and commas. Here's what I think you mean:

As you pointed out, it is the ACT, it is the burning, it is the fact that the wicked are being kept alive to suffer the exact amount of torment that is the issue. It doesn't matter how many times we want to use the word "organic" when we see each of those details as described in the texts given.

Indeed. ... - the commas

The problem is not with the use of words, but with the perception of what is happening. I agree that if one perceives God as burning people alive, and supernaturally extending their life so they can suffer more pain, that such a view cannot be helped by labeling the process as "organic."

2Thess 1 we see that God perceives Himself as being revealed in "flaming fire dealing out retribution"

In Rev 14:10-11 we see that God perceives Himself as "tormenting the wicked in fire and brimstone" (to use His Words in that case).

In Rev 20 we see that God perceives Himself as raising the dust -- back to life then judging them -- then casting them alive into the Lake of Fire.

in Luke 12 we see that God perceives Himself as dealing out "stripes" to each person as their deeds and knowledge reveal their different levels of guilt - some getting "many stripes" while others getting "few" (to use His words in that case.)

In Matt 18 we see that God perceives Himself as revoking forgiveness in the case of those who refuse to forgive others as they HAVE been forgiven by God such that they are made to pay "ALL that was owed" at the hand of the torturers.

In Is 53 we see that God perceives Christ as having taken the "stroke for US to whom it was due" (to use His words in the way that He says He perceives it).

Then there was that interesting quote from Ellen White on how God perceives Himself to arrange events such that some of the wicked burn quickly while others suffer many days in the Lake of Fire according to their guilt.

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108825#Post108825

Again, the problem is not with the labeling of the process, but with the perception of the process.

Interesting.

And the texts?

What of them?

Because in the end doctrine must stand or fall sola-scriptura according to SDA FB#1.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/24/09 03:30 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108877
02/24/09 03:52 AM
02/24/09 03:52 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

The model I'm suggesting is founded on the principle that all that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and character of Jesus Christ.

So that all 66 books of scripture and all the inspired work given by the Holy Spirit to Ellen White is "what God has revealed about Jesus" -- ??

Or so that "just the red letters in the bible are of interest"??

I am not sure which point you are trying to make there.

This I understand!

You were questioning how what I wrote would be helpful insofar as supporting the model I was suggesting, so I made some brief comments regarding the model I was using. The model is that all we can know of God was revealed by Jesus Christ, that when we've seen Jesus Christ, we've seen the Father. Therefore any interpretation of Scripture which would have God acting contrary to what Jesus Christ revealed is suspect.

-- indeed but I am still waiting for the response.

As long as "What Jesus Christ revealed" is agreed to be exactly what He gave us in His 66 books of scripture and through His gift of prophecy given to Ellen White (with all things being tested by his foundational 66 books that define what we Know about what He said) -- we are still waiting for some kind of attention to the text raised so far as they point to inconvenient details so incompatible with the model you have proposed (or that "Ty" has proposed I suppose we could say - though I do not consider you or Ty to actually be the authors of that view.)

quotes John 14 --

Jesus Christ said, "When you've seen me, you've seen the Father." Hebrews tells us that Christ is the exact image of the Father.

Jesus said, "No one can come to the Father but my Me." It is through Christ that we know the Father.

Indeed as Christ said "I have many more things to tell you BUT you can not bear them now... the Spirit of Truth whom the Father will send HE WILL lead you into ALL truth" John 16.

Which is why that bit about "All scripture INSPIRED by GOD" and "no scripture a matter of ones own interpretation.. but men of old moved by the Holy Spirit SPOKE from GOD" becomes so "instructive" on the point. (As I am sure we all agree).

BTW - is your response above answering the question with "red letter only" or did you mean to yes "YES! absolutely all 66 books must be taken as the revelation of Christ"?

Quote:

He is the Word of God, God's thought made audible. If we would know the Father, we must know Christ.

Now what do we see when we look at Christ? How did Christ respond when He was urged to destroy with fire those who opposed Him? "You know not spirit you are of." "The Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them."

Indeed and How did He respond when Abraham tried to negotiate with him for the lives of those in Sodom and Gomorrah?

How did He respond when Noah had finished the ark as per his instructions?

How do we "see Him responding" in Rev 20 coming in the clouds of heaven with armies to do battle?

How does "He describe Himself" as responding to the wicked in 2Thess 1. I find it instructive that there He chooses to show that He is "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" to those who do not obey the Gospel.

The SOP tells us, "Satan is the destroyer.

Very true -- and also tells us that God said that He will so arrange things such that Satan will suffer for "many days" in the lake of fire long after all those he tempted have finally been consumed as we saw in that previous quote.

The Lord is the restorer," that the destruction of the wicked is *not* a manufactured act of power on the part of God (she actually uses the word "arbitrary," in a way which is synonymous with "manufactured")

Actually they are nothing alike.

In the case of manufactured -- it is the idea of design and architect vs "organic events" that simply happen of themselves.

in the case of "arbitrary" it is the idea of capricious selection based on whim rather than on Law and enduring principles PROVEN to be just and for the good of all intelligent life. In God's Free Will model of government "by Law" intelligent beings are given evidence of God's Love -- but also allowed to "choose" whom they will serve.

(A hand-waiving style equivocation between those two drastically different concepts is not the best way to get the details out on the table.)

AND instead of wiping sinners out - by applying the sentence of Law as soon as they sin - God has sovereignly chosen to let the principles of both good and evil play out - EVEN though it means INCREASED suffering in hell - due to increased guilt in a life that was not cut short at the first hint of sin -- (and also meant an INCREASED amount of torment that Christ must endure at the cross paying for all the debt of sin of all mankind)

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/24/09 03:54 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108882
02/24/09 02:00 PM
02/24/09 02:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Indeed - that is why I keep referring to the texts and various other quotes that are piling up in this regard as well as the need to engage in a sola-scriptura solution that relies on solid exegesis -- so that is avoiding emotional appeals at every turn.

As I asked before, did you go to the seminary? Where did you learn to do exegesis? I'm asking this because you've demonstrated no evidence that you know what exegesis is. You're certainly not using an exegetical method in any of your posts.

You keep bringing up emotional appeals, but I'm not being emotional, but logic. I'm using the same argument Ellen White used. Because emotions appear in an argument does not equate to making an emotional appeal. Quoting again from GC 535

Quote:
How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live.

Notice she says this false doctrine is "repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice." This is the same thing I'm saying. Your ideas are "repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice." This is no more an emotional appeal than her argument is.

Quote:
Actually you have not gone through the exercise of taking these extremely disconfirming texts and exegeting them to show that - or to point out that -- it is in fact organic.

But your recent statements that it might be interesting to cover all the manufactured and architected solutions we see in those texts and call it all "organic" as if to say 'well naturally God reveals himself in flaming fire dealing out retribution" once wickedness reaches a certain point -- as if 'organic' and supernatural intervention are to be re-cast as the same concept.

Ellen White argued in DA 764 that the death of the wicked was not due to supernatural intervention, but was the result of the choice of the wicked. That's organic. It's a different concept than what you are presenting.

Quote:
T:and I've been presenting evidence that this is the case.

B:Just not in the actual text that form a problem for that view.

The actual text is relating a symbolic vision. The text I'm using is an explanation as to what happens. To ascertain a teaching we need to consider *all* the texts that bear on the subject, not simply cherry pick certain texts.

Quote:
T:Or we could change our view as to what is happening in the judgment.

B:As we look at the text describing God as "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" we instantly see that this is not "our view God is expressing" -- it is His.

First of all, God has not placed Himself on trial in either the rhetoric or logic of Scripture. You keep equating Scripture to God. Scripture is not God! Scripture was inspired by God, but that's not the same thing.

Secondly there's no need to interpret "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" in the way you have. I don't have time to go into detail here, so I'll have to come back to this, but I'll just say in brief that it's possible to interpret this expression in a way which is in harmony with God's character (Romans 12 is a good spot to consider regarding this; I'll come back to this when I have time).

Quote:
T:It's not a question of re-labeling, but an understanding of what's actually happening.

B:I think the idea here is that these Rev 14:10-11, 2Thess 1 texts are telling us from God's POV "What's actually happening".

Same comments as before.

Quote:
2Thess 1 we see that God perceives Himself as being revealed in "flaming fire dealing out retribution"

God has not placed Himself on trial in either the rhetoric or logic of Scripture. (1SM 21) God's POV is revealed in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
In Rev 14:10-11 we see that God perceives Himself as "tormenting the wicked in fire and brimstone" (to use His Words in that case).

Same comment. These aren't His words.

Quote:
In Rev 20 we see that God perceives Himself as raising the dust -- back to life then judging them -- then casting them alive into the Lake of Fire.

in Luke 12 we see that God perceives Himself as dealing out "stripes" to each person as their deeds and knowledge reveal their different levels of guilt - some getting "many stripes" while others getting "few" (to use His words in that case.)

In Matt 18 we see that God perceives Himself as revoking forgiveness in the case of those who refuse to forgive others as they HAVE been forgiven by God such that they are made to pay "ALL that was owed" at the hand of the torturers.

In Is 53 we see that God perceives Christ as having taken the "stroke for US to whom it was due" (to use His words in the way that He says He perceives it).

Then there was that interesting quote from Ellen White on how God perceives Himself to arrange events such that some of the wicked burn quickly while others suffer many days in the Lake of Fire according to their guilt.

I'll come back to considering these texts when I have time, but in all of them you're making the same mistake which EGW points out in 1SM 21. You're speaking as if you were a Fundamentalist.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108885
02/24/09 03:38 PM
02/24/09 03:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:The Lord is the restorer," that the destruction of the wicked is *not* a manufactured act of power on the part of God (she actually uses the word "arbitrary," in a way which is synonymous with "manufactured")

B:Actually they are nothing alike.

On the contrary, they are exactly alike. I actually like your word, "manufactured," better, because it captures her meaning in an unambiguous way. You're suggestion that she meant "capricious" is a common misconception, easily disproved by examining the context.

Quote:
B:In the case of manufactured -- it is the idea of design and architect vs "organic events" that simply happen of themselves.

in the case of "arbitrary" it is the idea of capricious selection based on whim rather than on Law and enduring principles PROVEN to be just and for the good of all intelligent life.

Not which, but individual discretion.

Quote:
In God's Free Will model of government "by Law" intelligent beings are given evidence of God's Love -- but also allowed to "choose" whom they will serve.

Agreed. And when they choose to server sin, they reap the inevitable result, which is death.

First of all, let's take a look at the meaning of the word "arbitrary"

Quote:
1:depending on individual discretion (as of a judge) and not fixed by law <the manner of punishment is arbitrary>

This is Webster's primary definition, and that this meaning was Ellen White's intent in born out by considering the context:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

You'll notice that her argument here is not that God is not capricious, but that the death of the wicked is due to their own choice, as opposed to a manufactured act of power on the part of God. If she were using "arbitrary" as you are suggesting, to mean "capricious" or "on a whim," she would not have argued that the death of the wicked was the result of their own choice, as opposed to the result of an act on God's part, but would have made a defense as to God's actions.

That is, she would have argued like this:
1.Yes it's true that the death of the wicked is due to an act of power on God's part, but this action is justifiable, for the following reasons ...
2.God is within His rights to take this manufactured action, and it is good that God does so for the following reasons ...

She would have taken pains to argue that God's actions were not capricious, but that's not what she argued. She argued that the death of the wicked were not due to God's actions at all, but due to the actions of the wicked. Over and over she makes this point:

1.God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.
2.Christ says, "All they that hate Me love (choose) death."
3.They receive the results of their own choice.
4.Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished.
5.It would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.

Note that if God had "left" Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished. Note that the "inevitable result" of sin is death. Note the wicked receive the result of their choice, which is death.

Everything in these paragraphs points to the fact that it is sin which results in death, and the wicked die because of their choice. She even describes how this choice results in their death:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

This is the fire which comes down from heaven that destroys the wicked. The fire destroys the wicked, not because of an arbitrary (i.e. manufactured) act of power of the wicked, but because, by a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

Here's another text from the SOP which brings out this principle:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.(DA 108)

Note that the same thing which gives life to the righteous will slay the wicked. Therefore this "light of the glory of God" does not represent something arbitrary (i.e. manufactured) which God does to the wicked to kill them. Their death is due to what they have done to themselves, making it so that what should have resulted in life for them, as it does for the righteous, results in death. Their death is not due to a change on God's part (i.e., a manufactured action) but due to their own actions.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108912
02/24/09 09:49 PM
02/24/09 09:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
If we view God as one who will torture and kill those who disobey Him (or "torment and kill" if preferred), then it seems to me that this cannot but help lead to one's being afraid of God, leading to a religion based on fear of punishment and hope of reward.

Consider the following insights:

Oh, let us contemplate the amazing sacrifice that has been made for us! Let us try to appreciate the labor and energy that Heaven is expending to reclaim the lost, and bring them back to the Father's house. Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

How about this?

It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him.(DA 480)

I see no contradiction. Do you?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #108913
02/24/09 10:08 PM
02/24/09 10:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: The author was discussing justice in Scripture, not in Ellen White, so it makes no sense to quote Ellen White in reference to what the author was writing.

M: Ellen was also discussing justice in the Bible. I merely compared his and her observations and conclusions. They are very much different. Where he and she contradict one another I side with her. For example, I agree with the way she contrasts mercy and justice in the following passage:

The One who has stood as our intercessor; who hears all penitential prayers and confessions; who is represented with a rainbow, the symbol of grace and love, encircling His head, is soon to cease His work in the heavenly sanctuary. Grace and mercy will then descend from the throne, and justice will take their place. He for whom His people have looked will assume His right--the office of Supreme Judge (RH Jan. 1, 1889). {7BC 989.11}

Obviously mercy and justice are not one and the same aspects of the plan of salvation. Mercy serves on the throne until justice takes it place. They do not serve on the throne simultaneously. "Then I saw Jesus lay off His priestly attire and clothe Himself with His most kingly robes. . . And as mercy's sweet voice died away, fear and horror seized the wicked." {SR 404.1} "But the door of mercy is closed to the wicked, no more prayers are offered in their behalf, after probation ends." {3BC 1150.7}

She goes on to explain what happens when mercy and justice trade places on the throne:

Quote:
With unerring accuracy the Infinite One still keeps an account with all nations. While His mercy is tendered with calls to repentance this account will remain open, but when the figures reach a certain amount, which God has fixed, the ministry of His wrath commences.--5T 208 (1882). {LDE 39.6}

God keeps a record with the nations. The figures are swelling against them in the books of heaven, and when it shall have become a law that the transgression of the first day of the week shall be met with punishment, then their cup will be full.--7BC 910 (1886). {LDE 40.1}

God keeps a reckoning with the nations. . . . When the time fully comes that iniquity shall have reached the stated boundary of God's mercy, His forbearance will cease. When the accumulated figures in heaven's record books shall mark the sum of transgression complete, wrath will come.--5T 524 (1889). {LDE 40.2}

While God's mercy bears long with the transgressor, there is a limit beyond which men may not go on in sin. When that limit is reached, then the offers of mercy are withdrawn, and the ministration of judgment begins.--PP 162, 165 (1890). {LDE 40.3}

The time is coming when in their fraud and insolence men will reach a point that the Lord will not permit them to pass and they will learn that there is a limit to the forbearance of Jehovah.--9T 13 (1909). {LDE 40.4}

There is a limit beyond which the judgments of Jehovah can no longer be delayed.--PK 417 (c. 1914). {LDE 40.5}

"When that limit is reached, then the offers of mercy are withdrawn, and the ministration of judgment begins."

“Thus says the LORD of hosts: Execute true justice, show mercy and compassion everyone to his brother. (Zech. 7:9) According to the LORD, true justice is executed by showing mercy and compassion to one's brother.

I didn't see where you acknowledged Ellen's insight. She contrasts mercy and justice in a way that you do not. How do you reconcile your view and hers?

Also, Zech 7:9 reads in context:

7:8 And the word of the LORD came unto Zechariah, saying,
7:9 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and show mercy and compassions every man to his brother:
7:10 And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.
7:11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear.

It simply encourages leaders to execute true judgment as opposed to unfair or unjust judgment. They should also show mercy and compassion if it is deserved and serves the community well. It is no wise means, though, that penalty should never be inflicted when it is deserved and serves the community well.

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #108914
02/24/09 10:47 PM
02/24/09 10:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The author was discussing justice in Scripture, not in Ellen White, so it makes no sense to quote Ellen White in reference to what the author was writing.

Ellen was also discussing justice in the Bible. I merely compared his and her observations and conclusions. They are very much different. Where he and she contradict one another I side with her. For example, I agree with the way she contrasts mercy and justice in the following passage:

The One who has stood as our intercessor; who hears all penitential prayers and confessions; who is represented with a rainbow, the symbol of grace and love, encircling His head, is soon to cease His work in the heavenly sanctuary. Grace and mercy will then descend from the throne, and justice will take their place. He for whom His people have looked will assume His right--the office of Supreme Judge (RH Jan. 1, 1889). {7BC 989.11}

Obviously mercy and justice are not one and the same aspects of the plan of salvation. Mercy serves on the throne until justice takes it place. They do not serve on the throne simultaneously. "Then I saw Jesus lay off His priestly attire and clothe Himself with His most kingly robes. . . And as mercy's sweet voice died away, fear and horror seized the wicked." {SR 404.1} "But the door of mercy is closed to the wicked, no more prayers are offered in their behalf, after probation ends." {3BC 1150.7}

She goes on to explain what happens when mercy and justice trade places on the throne:

Quote:
With unerring accuracy the Infinite One still keeps an account with all nations. While His mercy is tendered with calls to repentance this account will remain open, but when the figures reach a certain amount, which God has fixed, the ministry of His wrath commences.--5T 208 (1882). {LDE 39.6}

God keeps a record with the nations. The figures are swelling against them in the books of heaven, and when it shall have become a law that the transgression of the first day of the week shall be met with punishment, then their cup will be full.--7BC 910 (1886). {LDE 40.1}

God keeps a reckoning with the nations. . . . When the time fully comes that iniquity shall have reached the stated boundary of God's mercy, His forbearance will cease. When the accumulated figures in heaven's record books shall mark the sum of transgression complete, wrath will come.--5T 524 (1889). {LDE 40.2}

While God's mercy bears long with the transgressor, there is a limit beyond which men may not go on in sin. When that limit is reached, then the offers of mercy are withdrawn, and the ministration of judgment begins.--PP 162, 165 (1890). {LDE 40.3}

The time is coming when in their fraud and insolence men will reach a point that the Lord will not permit them to pass and they will learn that there is a limit to the forbearance of Jehovah.--9T 13 (1909). {LDE 40.4}

There is a limit beyond which the judgments of Jehovah can no longer be delayed.--PK 417 (c. 1914). {LDE 40.5}

"When that limit is reached, then the offers of mercy are withdrawn, and the ministration of judgment begins."

yes, and this is the justice, that is if we believe egw:

Quote:
The world is a theater; the actors, its inhabitants, are preparing to act their part in the last great drama. With the great masses of mankind, there is no unity, except as men confederate to accomplish their selfish purposes. God is looking on. His purposes in regard to His rebellious subjects will be fulfilled. The world has not been given into the hands of men, though God is permitting the elements of confusion and disorder to bear sway for a season. A power from beneath is working to bring about the last great scenes in the drama,--Satan coming as Christ, and working with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in those who are binding themselves together in secret societies. Those who are yielding to the passion for confederation are working out the plans of the enemy. The cause will be followed by the effect.--Testimonies, vol. 8, pp. 27, 28. {ChS 50.1}

Never did this message apply with greater force than it applies today. More and more the world is setting at naught the claims of God. Men have become bold in transgression. The wickedness of the inhabitants of the world has almost filled up the measure of their iniquity. This earth has almost reached the place where God will permit the destroyer to work his will upon it. The substitution of the laws of men for the law of God, the exaltation, by merely human authority, of Sunday in place of the Bible Sabbath, is the last act in the drama. When this substitution becomes universal, God will reveal Himself. He will arise in His majesty to shake terribly the earth. He will come out of His place to punish the inhabitants of the world for their iniquity, and the earth shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain.--Testimonies, vol. 7, p. 141. 51 {ChS 50.2}

We are standing on the threshold of the crisis of the ages. In quick succession the judgments of God will follow one another,--fire, and flood, and earthquake, with war and bloodshed. We are not to be surprised at this time by events both great and decisive; for the angel of mercy cannot remain much longer to shelter the impenitent.-- Prophets and Kings, p. 278. {ChS 51.1}

We are standing upon the threshold of great and solemn events. Prophecies are fulfilling. Strange, eventful history is being recorded in the books of heaven. Everything in our world is in agitation. There are wars, and rumors of wars. The nations are angry, and the time of the dead has come, that they should be judged. Events are changing to bring about the day of God which hasteth greatly. Only a moment of time, as it were, yet remains. But while already nation is rising against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, there is not now a general engagement. As yet the four winds are held until the servants of God shall be sealed in their foreheads. Then the powers of earth will marshal their forces for the last great battle.-- Testimonies, vol. 6, p. 14. {ChS 51.5}

The restraining Spirit of God is even now being withdrawn from the world. Hurricanes, storms, tempests, fire and flood, disasters by sea and land, follow each other in quick succession. Science seeks to explain all these. The signs thickening around us, telling of the near approach of the Son of God, are attributed to any other than the true cause. Men cannot discern the sentinel angels restraining the four winds that they shall not blow until the servants of God are sealed; but when God shall bid His angels loose the winds, there shall be such a scene of strife as no pen can picture.--Testimonies, vol. 6, p. 408. {ChS 52.1}

The days in which we live are solemn and important. The Spirit of God is gradually but surely being withdrawn from the earth. Plagues and judgments are already falling upon the despisers of the grace of God. The calamities by land and sea, the unsettled state of society, the alarms of war, are portentous. They forecast approaching events of the greatest magnitude. The agencies of evil are combining their forces, and consolidating. They are strengthening for the last great crisis. Great changes are soon to take place in our world, and the final movements will be rapid ones.--Testimonies, vol. 9, p. 11. {ChS 52.2}

The time is at hand when there will be sorrow in the world that no human balm can heal. The Spirit of God is being withdrawn. Disasters by sea and by land follow one another in quick succession. How frequently we hear of earthquakes and tornadoes, of destruction by fire and flood, with great loss of life and property! Apparently these calamities are capricious outbreaks of disorganized, unregulated forces of nature, wholly beyond the control of man; but in them all, God's purpose may be read. They are among the agencies by which He seeks to arouse men and women to a sense of their danger.--Prophets and Kings, p. 277. {ChS 52.3}

We are living in the midst of an "epidemic of crime," at which thoughtful, God-fearing men everywhere stand aghast. The corruption that prevails, it is beyond the power of the human pen to describe. Every day brings fresh revelations of political strife, bribery, and fraud. Every day brings its heart-sickening record of violence and lawlessness, of indifference to human suffering, of brutal, fiendish destruction of human life. Every day testifies to the increase of insanity, murder, and suicide. Who can doubt that satanic agencies are at work among men with increasing activity to distract and corrupt the mind, and defile and destroy the body?--Ministry of Healing, pp. 142, 143. {ChS 53.2}

It would appear that you have made up your mind and have sided with Tom's view of punishment. Or, have I misunderstood your intentions in the quotes you posted?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108923
02/24/09 11:26 PM
02/24/09 11:26 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I know I keep mentioning this very clear model of "payment" and "punishment" in the Lake of Fire -- but since we have few people commenting on the "details" that we see there -- here it is -- by itself.

quote]

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01998.htm

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin.

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

[/quote]

Quote:

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31.

They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1.

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108924
02/24/09 11:34 PM
02/24/09 11:34 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Quote:

Quote:
How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live.

Notice she says this false doctrine is "repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice." This is the same thing I'm saying. Your ideas are "repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice." This is no more an emotional appeal than her argument is.

Indeed one is free to add that something is emotionally non-satisfying AFTER they have made the exegetically solid sola-scriptura BIBLE-ALONE argument for the correct "doctrinal" position as Ellen White had done and as SDAs typically do on the subject of eternally burning hell. Which almost always brings us to the Matt 10:28 response and the Rev 14:10 response so necessary for our point of view, showing that this is not a case of emotion-instead of a sola scriptura sound Bible position.

In fact a favorite naysaying of those who do believe in eternal hell is that the "annihilationists skip the Bible argument" altogether and rest their doctrine on nothing better than emotion.

For example, in my frequent discussions with 4 and 5 point Calvinists I never tire of the benefits of the emotional argument between the Calvinist arbitraray-selection doctrine and the "God so Loved the WORLD that he GAVE" contrast. I give the bible arguments and then simply top it off with a bit of contrast for the benefit of the emotional effect.

I heartily approve of it.

But skipping the exegetically sound Bible argument and simply going for nothing more than emotional appeal does not hold up in those contexts any more than it would here.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/24/09 11:41 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108925
02/24/09 11:46 PM
02/24/09 11:46 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Quote:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

You'll notice that her argument here is not that God is not capricious, but that the death of the wicked is due to their own choice, as opposed to a manufactured act of power on the part of God.

Indeed my position has always been "judged by deeds" and never "arbitrary judgment" -- my argument is that "judged by deeds" is DESIGNED, is ARCHITECTED, is CREATED (manufactured) with infinite power and knowledge to MAKE the dust turn back into living tissue -- living humans and then MAKE them stand before the judgment seat of God where all are "judged according to their deeds" and then CAST them into the Lake of Fire there to be "tormented with fire and brimstone" as GOD says in Rev 14:10-11 and as Ellen White affirms "some for MANY DAYS".

Nothing "arbitrary" there -- and nothing "organic".

I leave others to try to get those terms inserted.

in Christ,

Bob

Page 34 of 100 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!