HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108764
02/22/09 12:30 AM
02/22/09 12:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
You didn't say this. You said, "Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die." He could have explained things to them that weren't recorded in Scripture.

At any rate, you're already said a couple of times that Christ didn't explain why He had to die, which I think is an amazing thing for someone to think, but not as amazing as thinking that it's not explained anywhere in Scripture.

Tom, do you agree with me that I didn't say, "Christ didn't explain why He had to die", that instead I said, "Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die"? Or, do you even see a difference between your statement and mine?

I arbitrarily chose ten items, but one could extend this list to include hundreds of things which are debated from Scripture. So to apply your logic would be to assert that the Bible teaches virtually nothing clearly, since virtually any point you can make from Scripture has been the subject of debate and disagreement.

After saying all that - you still haven't posted a quote which clearly explains why Jesus had to die.

1. Until EGW came along, nobody understand why Christ had to die (unless they got lucky and guessed right, or some uninspired person explained why)

2. Even today, non-SDA's don't understand why Christ had to die, not having access to EGW's writings.

1. Obviously it was oral tradition.

2. Same as above.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108776
02/22/09 01:54 AM
02/22/09 01:54 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, do you agree with me that I didn't say, "Christ didn't explain why He had to die", that instead I said, "Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die"? Or, do you even see a difference between your statement and mine?

Yes, I see the difference, which is why I corrected it to something plausible. I don't agree with the plausible statement either, but what you wrote, that Jesus Christ didn't explain it to His disciples, is something you couldn't know, of course, since you don't know what He said to them apart from what was recorded in Scripture.

Quote:
T:I arbitrarily chose ten items, but one could extend this list to include hundreds of things which are debated from Scripture. So to apply your logic would be to assert that the Bible teaches virtually nothing clearly, since virtually any point you can make from Scripture has been the subject of debate and disagreement.

M:After saying all that - you still haven't posted a quote which clearly explains why Jesus had to die.

I wasn't attempting to do so. I was explaining why your logic was wrong. You said that because what Jesus said was debated it couldn't have been clear. This is incorrect, and this is what I was addressing.

Quote:
T:1. Until EGW came along, nobody understand why Christ had to die (unless they got lucky and guessed right, or some uninspired person explained why)

2. Even today, non-SDA's don't understand why Christ had to die, not having access to EGW's writings.

M:1. Obviously it was oral tradition.

2. Same as above.

What was obviously oral tradition? Oral tradition from whom? (must have been from someone unclear or uninspired)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108796
02/22/09 06:13 PM
02/22/09 06:13 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:
Tom points out -
1.Was Jesus Christ God?
2.Is the Godhead comprised of three persons?
3.Should we keep the Sunday?
4.Is there a heavenly sanctuary?
5.How is one justified?
6.When one dies, what happens?
7.What happens during the millenium?
8.How long are the wicked punished in hell?
9.What law is Paul speaking of in Galatians?
10.Is it OK to eat pork?

I arbitrarily chose ten items, but one could extend this list to include hundreds of things which are debated from Scripture. So to apply your logic would be to assert that the Bible teaches virtually nothing clearly,

I have to agree that the "existence of dispute" on a point is not "proof" that the bible is unclear on that point - given that we are all stuck with the bent and bias that is so natural to the sinful nature.

It would be a mistake to blame all of it on the lack of clarity in scripture.

On this thread I see a number of discussion topics.

1. Does SCRIPTURE tell us why Jesus had to die.
2. Do the GOSPELS ALONE report an exhaustive explanation on that topic "in red letters".
3. Does the exitence of dispute about any given Bible topic prove that the topic disputed is lacking in some degree of clarity in scripture?
4. Does God's Law really demand the death (2nd death lake of fire) of the sinner as the payment/debt owed for sin?

#4 is central since to determine IF the Bible "says X" you have to know what "X is" when you see it.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108806
02/22/09 09:37 PM
02/22/09 09:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, do you agree with me that I didn't say, "Christ didn't explain why He had to die", that instead I said, "Jesus did not clearly explain to His disciples why He had to die"? Or, do you even see a difference between your statement and mine?

T: Yes, I see the difference, which is why I corrected it to something plausible. I don't agree with the plausible statement either, but what you wrote, that Jesus Christ didn't explain it to His disciples, is something you couldn't know, of course, since you don't know what He said to them apart from what was recorded in Scripture.

Where in the Bible is the record of His "clear" explanation of why He had to die?

Quote:
T:I arbitrarily chose ten items, but one could extend this list to include hundreds of things which are debated from Scripture. So to apply your logic would be to assert that the Bible teaches virtually nothing clearly, since virtually any point you can make from Scripture has been the subject of debate and disagreement.

M:After saying all that - you still haven't posted a quote which clearly explains why Jesus had to die.

T: I wasn't attempting to do so. I was explaining why your logic was wrong. You said that because what Jesus said was debated it couldn't have been clear. This is incorrect, and this is what I was addressing.

I concede the point.

Quote:
T:1. Until EGW came along, nobody understand why Christ had to die (unless they got lucky and guessed right, or some uninspired person explained why)

M:1. Obviously it was oral tradition.

2. Same as above.

T: That was obviously oral tradition? Oral tradition from whom? (must have been from someone unclear or uninspired)

People before Ellen understood from oral tradition why Jesus had to die. Oral tradition which reflects the truth can be trace back to inspired sources such as Jesus and Moses. My point is - it is not clearly reflected in the Bible. Yes, it is implied, but not explicitly explained. Otherwise, you would post it.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108808
02/22/09 09:55 PM
02/22/09 09:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
1. Does SCRIPTURE tell us why Jesus had to die.
2. Do the GOSPELS ALONE report an exhaustive explanation on that topic "in red letters".
3. Does the exitence of dispute about any given Bible topic prove that the topic disputed is lacking in some degree of clarity in scripture?
4. Does God's Law really demand the death (2nd death lake of fire) of the sinner as the payment/debt owed for sin?

1. It is implied, not explicitly explained.
2. Definitely not.
3. Possibly.
4. It is implied, not explicitly explained.

The following texts imply the law demands death:

Quote:
1 Cor 15:56 The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Jam 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

1 John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

The relationship between sin and death and penalty is clear in the following SOP passages:

Quote:
The Son of God, pure and unsullied, bore the penalty of transgression, and received the stroke of death that brought deliverance to the race.--Review and Herald, Jan. 20, 1903. {CM 76.2}

For the sins of those who are redeemed by the blood of Christ will at last be rolled back upon the originator of sin, and he must bear their punishment, while those who do not accept salvation through Jesus will suffer the penalty of their own sins. {EW 178.1}

Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

Abel grasped the great principles of redemption. He saw himself a sinner, and he saw sin and its penalty, death, standing between his soul and communion with God. He brought the slain victim, the sacrificed life, thus acknowledging the claims of the law that had been transgressed. Through the shed blood he looked to the future sacrifice, Christ dying on the cross of Calvary; and trusting in the atonement that was there to be made, he had the witness that he was righteous, and his offering accepted. {CC 24.4}

The question, "If a man die, shall he live again?" has been answered. By bearing the penalty of sin, by going down into the grave, Christ has brightened the tomb for all who die in faith. God in human form has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. In dying, Christ secured eternal life for all who believe in Him. In dying, He condemned the originator of sin and disloyalty to suffer the penalty of sin--eternal death. {CH 333.1}

God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108810
02/22/09 11:49 PM
02/22/09 11:49 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Ok - maybe we are getting some place.

Some Bible doctrines you can get from just one text - one chapter.

1. God created the World in 6 days Genesis 1, or Exodus 20:11.

2. Jesus was the Son of Mary -
3. Jesus was born via the Holy Spirit to a virgin.
4. The Bible is inspired by God
5. It rained for 40 days during the world wide flood.
6. The Earth was destroyed by Water at the flood
7. Jesus was resurrected.. Lazarus was resurrected
8. Jesus ascended to heaven
9. The Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost.
10. God is Love

It would seem that MM is calling this level of direct statement in the Bible "Clearly stated".

But there are other teachings in the Bible that require adding texts together to get the full picture.

1. Trinity
2. Jesus was actually eternal all powerful God not merely the Son of God.
3. The Holy Spirit is a person and is Himself God not merely a force
4. Lucifer was the one who rebelled in heaven and took with him 1/3 of the Angels during that war.
5. Lucefer is actualy assumed the form of a serpent and tempted Eve.
6. The gospel was given at the gates of Eden - and consists of the fact that we are saved by Grace through Faith.
7. The Investigative Judgment started in 1844.
8. Jesus Christ died as Substitutionary Atoning Sacrifice -- (in our place) not merely an Atoning Sacrifice.
9. God preserves a syste of free will - instead of merely zapping brains and making arbitrary decrees.
10. God's free will model requires compelling data to motivate in favor of correct conclusions.
11. The New Testament should be accepted as part of scripture.

etc.

However I don't think that we would need to conclude that anything that is not all in one text or all in one chapter -- would need oral tradition to figure out.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/22/09 11:52 PM.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Bobryan] #108823
02/23/09 02:25 AM
02/23/09 02:25 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, until now I hadn't been asked to quote something from Scripture which points out clearly why Christ had to die. I've been asking questions about the consequences to your idea, if it was true. Do you agree that your idea implies that non-SDA's don't understand why Christ had to die? You're suggesting they got it from some oral tradition, but that oral tradition would have to be based on something, and if that something is Scripture, that doesn't help because you've already said Scripture does not clearly explain it.

So we would be led to conclude that before Ellen White, the world was in the dark as to why Christ had to die.

Do you feel this way about other doctrines as well? For example, justification by faith. One could hardly understand justification by faith without understanding why Jesus Christ had to die, wouldn't you agree? So the same conclusions regarding the death of Christ would apply to justification by faith.

Therefore justification by faith is not clearly explained in Scripture. This seems to follow directly from your idea that Scripture does not clearly explain why Christ had to die.

As to quoting references, I've already quoted references many, many times. For example, 1 Pet. 3:18, which tells us that Christ died "to bring us to God."

John 3:16 is also a clear explanation. In this verse, Christ tells us that He would die so that whoever believed in Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108897
02/24/09 06:33 PM
02/24/09 06:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
However I don't think that we would need to conclude that anything that is not all in one text or all in one chapter -- would need oral tradition to figure out.

Let's take the subject of why Jesus had to die and see how it plays out. Where in the Bible, using the "line upon line" method, is it clearly explained why Jesus had to die? And, then, where does it specifically say Jesus had to die to 1) influence and motivate sinners to love and obey God, and 2) die in our place because law and justice require death in consequence of sin?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #108899
02/24/09 06:46 PM
02/24/09 06:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you agree that your idea implies that non-SDA's don't understand why Christ had to die? You're suggesting they got it from some oral tradition, but that oral tradition would have to be based on something, and if that something is Scripture, that doesn't help because you've already said Scripture does not clearly explain it.

I'll clarify what I posted above. Oral tradition that is based on the true understanding of why Jesus had to die goes back to Jesus and Moses. Nevertheless, it is not clearly articulated in the Bible. Apparently, it is something the authors of the Bible took for granted.

Quote:
T: So we would be led to conclude that before Ellen White, the world was in the dark as to why Christ had to die.

Not if we accept my explanation above.

Quote:
T: Do you feel this way about other doctrines as well? For example, justification by faith. One could hardly understand justification by faith without understanding why Jesus Christ had to die, wouldn't you agree? So the same conclusions regarding the death of Christ would apply to justification by faith. Therefore justification by faith is not clearly explained in Scripture. This seems to follow directly from your idea that Scripture does not clearly explain why Christ had to die.

Justification is a fruit of the death of Jesus, but the doctrine doesn't explain why Jesus had to die. Yes, it is implied, but it is not explicitly explained.

Quote:
T: As to quoting references, I've already quoted references many, many times. For example, 1 Pet. 3:18, which tells us that Christ died "to bring us to God." John 3:16 is also a clear explanation. In this verse, Christ tells us that He would die so that whoever believed in Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

Again, such things are fruits of the death of Jesus, but they do not clearly explain why Jesus' death was required, why it wasn't optional. Yes, it is implied, but it is not explicitly explained.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #108927
02/25/09 12:05 AM
02/25/09 12:05 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Let's take the subject of why Jesus had to die and see how it plays out. Where in the Bible, using the "line upon line" method, is it clearly explained why Jesus had to die? And, then, where does it specifically say Jesus had to die to 1) influence and motivate sinners to love and obey God, and 2) die in our place because law and justice require death in consequence of sin?

Regarding where in the Bible, there are many spots, a number of which have been mentioned already. Isaiah 53, 2 Cor. 5:14-21, Gal. 2:20-3:13, John 3, Romans 3-Romans 6 (don't know where to stop here, Paul was talking about this constantly in Romans, but 3:21-27 and 5:12-18 are a couple of places within this chunk that especially touches on it).

Regarding influence, 2 Cor. 5:14-15, Gal. 2:20, and John 3:16 are three texts that come mind.

Regarding justice, as you conceive of it, I would agree with you that there are not Scripture texts which clearly teach this.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!