HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 100 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108926
02/25/09 12:02 AM
02/25/09 12:02 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Actually you have not gone through the exercise of taking these extremely disconfirming texts and exegeting them to show that - or to point out that -- it is in fact organic.

But your recent statements that it might be interesting to cover all the manufactured and architected solutions we see in those texts and call it all "organic" as if to say 'well naturally God reveals himself in flaming fire dealing out retribution" once wickedness reaches a certain point -- as if 'organic' and supernatural intervention are to be re-cast as the same concept.

Originally Posted By: Tom

Ellen White argued in DA 764 that the death of the wicked was not due to supernatural intervention,

A. that is not correct - 763-764 does not say that Christ does nothing to cause the wicked to be slain at His coming "Whom the Lord will destroy by the brightness of His coming" 2Thess 2:8 .

B. that is not a Bible text

C. that leaves you without a Bible response to 2Thess 1 "revealedin flaming fire dealing out retribution" and for Rev 19 "the REST were slain by the sword that comes from His Mouth".

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/25/09 12:03 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108928
02/25/09 12:11 AM
02/25/09 12:11 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Quote:
DA 763
The warfare against God's law, which was begun in heaven, will be continued until the end of time. Every man will be tested. Obedience or disobedience is the question to be decided by the whole world. All will be called to choose between the law of God and the laws of men. Here the dividing line will be drawn. There will be but two classes. Every character will be fully developed; and all will show whether they have chosen the side of loyalty or that of rebellion. {DA 763.3}

Then the end will come. God will vindicate His law and deliver His people. Satan and all who have joined him in rebellion will be cut off. Sin and sinners will perish, root and branch, (Mal. 4:1),--Satan the root, and his followers the branches. The word will be fulfilled to the prince of evil, "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; . . . I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more."

Then "the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be;" "they shall be as though they had not been." Ezek. 28:6-19; Ps. 37:10; Obadiah 16. {DA 763.4}

This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown

The argument is that God's ACT in DESTROYING them is not arbitrary (though some have imagined it that way) it is simply the Just Act of God in "dealing out retribution in flaming" fire to those who do not obey the Gospel -- they chose to disobey.

But of course even this is not the final destroying act of God for He will raise these same people YET AGAIN at the end of the 1000 years so that they can experience the 2nd death and thus complete what Ellen White calls "paying the full penalty" of the debt of sin owed.

But as for that 2nd coming event you have referenced -- we have "yet again" the 2Thess 1 text so often mentioned here - but never actually responded to -

Quote:

6 For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you,
7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,
8 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
9 These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/25/09 12:13 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108930
02/25/09 12:15 AM
02/25/09 12:15 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
I believe there are some in Adventism for whom the solution to the texts above is "never quote them" so that an entirely different POV can be promoted that is not compatible with the actual details of the text.

Which is why I keep asking that this discussion finally and "at last" come down to the "inconvenient details" involved in exegeting these texts some "other way" than what they clearly say - as if it is even possible.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108931
02/25/09 02:06 AM
02/25/09 02:06 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, Regarding #108912, you were the one who brought up SC 21 in response to DA 480. What did you have in mind?

(so you don't necessarily have to go back to the post to look, this is in regards to fear of punishment)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108932
02/25/09 02:42 AM
02/25/09 02:42 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Since we were recently at the point of discussing the wrath of God visited in the event of the second Coming - and DA 763 was mentioned -- I thought it might be helpful to see if the Great Controversy said anything at all about the 2nd coming.

Here we see "the something" that Christ does in this His act of vengence and wrath at the 2nd coming.

======================================
Great Controversy 656

"A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth; for the Lord hath a controversy with the nations, He will plead with all flesh; He will give them that are wicked to the sword." Jeremiah 25:31. For six thousand years the great controversy has been in progress; the Son of God and His heavenly messengers have been in conflict with the power of the evil one, to warn, enlighten, and save the children of men. Now all have made their decisions; the wicked have fully united with Satan in his warfare against God. The time has come for God to vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. Now the controversy is not alone with Satan, but with men. "The Lord hath a controversy with the nations;" "He will give them that are wicked to the sword." {GC 656.1}

The mark of deliverance has been set upon those "that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done." Now the angel of death goes forth, represented in Ezekiel's vision by the men with the slaughtering weapons, to whom the command is given: "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at My sanctuary." Says the prophet: "They began at the ancient men which were before the house." Ezekiel 9:1-6. The work of destruction begins among those who have professed to be the spiritual guardians of the people. The false watchmen are the first to fall. There are none to pity or to spare. Men, women, maidens, and little children perish together. {GC 656.2}
"The Lord cometh out of His place to punish the inhabitants
of the earth for their iniquity: the earth also shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain." Isaiah 26:21. "And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold everyone on the hand of his neighbor, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbor." Zechariah 14:12, 13. In the mad strife of their own fierce passions, and by the awful outpouring of God's unmingled wrath, fall the wicked inhabitants of the earth--priests, rulers, and people, rich and poor, high and low. "And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried." Jeremiah 25:33. {GC 656.3}

At the coming of Christ the wicked are blotted from the face of the whole earth--consumed with the spirit of His mouth and destroyed by the brightness of His glory. Christ takes His people to the City of God, and the earth is emptied of its inhabitants. "Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof." "The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the Lord hath spoken this word." "Because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned." Isaiah 24:1, 3, 5, 6. {GC 657.1}

The whole earth appears like a desolate wilderness. The ruins of cities and villages destroyed by the earthquake, uprooted trees, ragged rocks thrown out by the sea or torn out of the earth itself, are scattered over its surface, while vast caverns mark the spot where the mountains have been rent from their foundations.
{GC 657.2}

================================================

Among the many "details" to note in the quote above is the term "unmingled wrath" -- do you recall what it is that wrath is "not mingled" with in this case?

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/25/09 03:07 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108933
02/25/09 02:54 AM
02/25/09 02:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I didn't see where you acknowledged Ellen's insight. She contrasts mercy and justice in a way that you do not. How do you reconcile your view and hers?

I don't see a need for reconciliation. I would ask you the same question: how would you reconcile your view with hers?

Quote:
Also, Zech 7:9 reads in context:

7:8 And the word of the LORD came unto Zechariah, saying,
7:9 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Execute true judgment, and show mercy and compassions every man to his brother:
7:10 And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.
7:11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear.

It simply encourages leaders to execute true judgment as opposed to unfair or unjust judgment. They should also show mercy and compassion if it is deserved and serves the community well. It is no wise means, though, that penalty should never be inflicted when it is deserved and serves the community well.

This hasn't been suggested.

I think the crux of the matter comes down to whether we view justice as retributive or restorative/redemptive. You write:

Quote:
They should also show mercy and compassion if it is deserved and serves the community well.

This is on the right track! We can't say that one should show mercy if it is deserved, since, by definition, mercy is not deserved, but to emphasize if it "serves the community well" is exactly right. As I've been saying, justice has to do with restoring the covenant community to shalom, which is in harmony with what you just said.

So, viewing justice as restorative, we ask the question, "When is justice satisfied"? The answer is clear: When things are set right. How are men set right with God?

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

By the revelation of God. So we see the heart of justice is the revelation of God.

This is a new thought for me. Thanks for spurring me on to it.

Regarding justice and mercy being set against one another, one way of thinking about it is two sides of the same coin. Justice and mercy are not the same thing, but they work together. Justice is administered by mercy. Over and over in Scripture we see justice expressed in terms of taking care of the needy, in both testaments.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #108934
02/25/09 02:59 AM
02/25/09 02:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding #108925, you didn't in the slightest acknowledge or address any of the points I made. I'm talking about the post which addresses this:

Quote:
You'll notice that her argument here is not that God is not capricious, but that the death of the wicked is due to their own choice, as opposed to a manufactured act of power on the part of God.

You're not considering the context or the intent of DA 764. It's not at all presenting the idea you are suggesting, but diametrically arguing against it, which is clear if one considers what is written there.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108935
02/25/09 03:04 AM
02/25/09 03:04 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

I think the crux of the matter comes down to whether we view justice as retributive or restorative/redemptive.

in the case of the wicked in the lake of fire - they are neither redeemed nor restored by their being "tormented in fire and brimstone" - to use God's Words. (And by that I mean Christ of course).

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108936
02/25/09 03:17 AM
02/25/09 03:17 AM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Quote:

2Thess 1 we see that God perceives Himself as being revealed in "flaming fire dealing out retribution"

In Rev 14:10-11 we see that God perceives Himself as "tormenting the wicked in fire and brimstone" (to use His Words in that case).

In Rev 20 we see that God perceives Himself as raising the dust -- back to life then judging them -- then casting them alive into the Lake of Fire.

in Luke 12 we see that God perceives Himself as dealing out "stripes" to each person as their deeds and knowledge reveal their different levels of guilt - some getting "many stripes" while others getting "few" (to use His words in that case.)

In Matt 18 we see that God perceives Himself as revoking forgiveness in the case of those who refuse to forgive others as they HAVE been forgiven by God such that they are made to pay "ALL that was owed" at the hand of the torturers.

In Is 53 we see that God perceives Christ as having taken the "stroke for US to whom it was due" (to use His words in the way that He says He perceives it).

Then there was that interesting quote from Ellen White on how God perceives Himself to arrange events such that some of the wicked burn quickly while others suffer many days in the Lake of Fire according to their guilt.

http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108825#Post108825

First of all, God has not placed Himself on trial in either the rhetoric or logic of Scripture. You keep equating Scripture to God. Scripture is not God! Scripture was inspired by God, but that's not the same thing.

I beg to differ "Men of old moved by the Holy Spirit - SPOKE FROM GOD" 2Peter 1:21

Ellen White argue "THUS it is not the word of MEN but the Word of GOD"

Secondly there's no need to interpret "revealed in flaming fire dealing out retribution" in the way you have.

Really? How so?

I don't have time to go into detail here, so I'll have to come back to this, but I'll just say in brief that it's possible to interpret this expression in a way which is in harmony with God's character (Romans 12 is a good spot to consider regarding this; I'll come back to this when I have time).

It will be most interesting to see you exegete the phrase in 2Thess 1 -- using Romans 12.

you may want to take your time with that - getting it right.

I wait patiently.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 02/25/09 03:19 AM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #108937
02/25/09 03:22 AM
02/25/09 03:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Actually you have not gone through the exercise of taking these extremely disconfirming texts and exegeting them to show that - or to point out that -- it is in fact organic.

Bob, I've asked you several times where you learned exegesis. You use the word, but seem to have no concept in regards to what exegetical methodology is. Did you study this somewhere, like at a seminary?

Quote:
But your recent statements that it might be interesting to cover all the manufactured and architected solutions we see in those texts and call it all "organic" as if to say 'well naturally God reveals himself in flaming fire dealing out retribution" once wickedness reaches a certain point -- as if 'organic' and supernatural intervention are to be re-cast as the same concept.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. It sounds like you're operating from the standpoint that what you believe must be true and arguing against labeling again, as opposed to considering that your perspective as to what is happening may be wrong.

Quote:
A. that is not correct - 763-764 does not say that Christ does nothing to cause the wicked to be slain at His coming "Whom the Lord will destroy by the brightness of His coming" 2Thess 2:8 .

DA 764 starts by quoting Malachi, which deals with the destruction of the wicked, and explains the meaning of this text. She explains that the wicked are destroyed by their own choice, as opposed to something God (or Christ) does to them.

Just as Ty points out, we are inclined to ask God why He would kill us, when God asks, "Why will you die." Ty's thoughts are the same as Ellen White's in DA 764.

Quote:
B. that is not a Bible text

What's not?

Quote:
C. that leaves you without a Bible response to 2Thess 1 "revealedin flaming fire dealing out retribution" and for Rev 19 "the REST were slain by the sword that comes from His Mouth".

Are you suggesting that Christ has a literal sword in His mouth, and that's what slays the wicked? They're chopped in pieces by a sword?

You're operating from a paradigm which has sin as something which is innocuous. Sinners only die because God kills them. To counteract this, a number of Bible texts were presented. "Sin, when it is finished, brings forth death." "The soul that sins shall die." "The sting of death is sin." "Sin pages its wages: death." Or, to quote Ellen White, death is "the inevitable result of sin." She also says that Satan is the "author of sin and all its results."

Putting these together, we see that death is not something caused by God, but by sin. Once we grasp this key, the rest falls into place.

Retribution is not something arbitrarily imposed upon those who sin ("arbitrary" as in "manufactured," not "capricious"), but it the payback inherent in their own actions. As the SOP puts it, had God left Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished. Why? Because this is what sin does; it kills people.

The way Waggoner put it is that sin has death wrapped up in it.

To quote from Scripture:

Quote:
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.(Romans 12)

Notice the admonition to feed your enemy if he is hungry, to give him something to drink if he is thirsty. Note what this does. It heaps burning coals on his head. Why? For the reasons that Ty pointed out. Sin has an impact on the conscience. Returning good for evil leads to the destruction of the evil one, if he does not repent. Evil is overcome by good.

This is the way God works. He overcomes evil with good. He loves his enemies, and returns their hatred with love. Ask Christ admonished, He turns the other cheek and walks the second mile. *This is how God destroys the wicked. This is His retribution.*

Why? Because good is more powerful than evil. Love is more powerful than hate.

God has no need to burn alive those who oppose Him. What could possibly be gained by such a deed?

Although I've asked you several times now, you haven't answered my question as to how you think God is capable of such a deed.

Let's consider another example of what I'm asking. I'm guessing you will agree with me that God doesn't lie. Yet we read in 1st Kings 22 that God sent a lying spirit to Ahab. So should we conclude from this that God lies? We would reject such a conclusion because we know that God does not lie.

Here's another example. Let's say someone interpreted some text to say that God or Christ did some immoral thing. It could be anything, but say had an impure thought. We would reject such a conclusion because we know that God is not capable of having impure thoughts.

Now let's consider another example. Let's say someone interpreted some text to have God acting in a cruel manner, torturing someone. We would reject such an interpretation. Why? Because God is not capable of cruelty or of torture.

God is not immoral. You're suggestion that God will burn people alive with fire, supernaturally extending their lives so the torture can be continued must be rejected.

Page 35 of 100 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!