HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109418
03/05/09 03:22 PM
03/05/09 03:22 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: GC
"Even so must the Son of man be lifted up." That's explicit in my book.

GC, please demonstrate from the Bible that this analogy and expression refers to the death of Jesus and that it clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Thank you.

Mike,

I find it odd that you did not read the whole statement. It answers your question. Perhaps you were skimming for lack of time in your busy schedule. I'll highlight the most important part to make it easier to skim off the answer.

Originally Posted By: John Quoting Jesus
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:10-18, KJV)

How did Moses lift up the serpent in the wilderness? Jesus says that is the SAME WAY in which He would be lifted up....(on a cross). This is so clear a child could understand it. (Of course, one must have first heard the story of the serpents in the wilderness, to know what Jesus was talking about.) And what happened to Jesus on the cross? He died.

Incidentally, in the Chinese language, the word for "snake" and the word for "death" sound almost identical. The average American would say they ARE identical. The only difference is the tone in which it is stated. We can add to these two words the number "four" in Chinese, which again sounds much like "death." Because of this, Chinese culture considers the number four to be unlucky. Hospitals and hotels have no fourth floor...but they will have a thirteenth floor. smile And Chinese people don't seem to talk much about snakes either.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109455
03/06/09 02:18 AM
03/06/09 02:18 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The death of Jesus makes it possible for God to justify pardoning and saving sinners. It gives Him the legal to pardon and save rather than punish and kill.

Which you say is illogical and not clearly explained in Scripture.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109456
03/06/09 02:31 AM
03/06/09 02:31 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Perhaps you were skimming for lack of time in your busy schedule.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109493
03/06/09 10:03 PM
03/06/09 10:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
The death of Jesus makes it possible for God to justify pardoning and saving sinners. It gives Him the legal to pardon and save rather than punish and kill.

Which you say is illogical . . .

I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place.

Quote:
. . . and not clearly explained in Scripture.

That's why I said it was taken for granted. They were relying on oral tradition.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Green Cochoa] #109494
03/06/09 10:24 PM
03/06/09 10:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
GC: "Even so must the Son of man be lifted up." That's explicit in my book.

M: GC, please demonstrate from the Bible that this analogy and expression refers to the death of Jesus and that it clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Thank you.

GC: Mike, I find it odd that you did not read the whole statement. It answers your question. Perhaps you were skimming for lack of time in your busy schedule.

Actually I did read the whole passage. It reminds me of Jesus using the story of Jonah to say He will be in the heart of the earth for three days and mights. Nothing in the book of Jonah leads one to think of the Son of God.

Quote:
GC: I'll highlight the most important part to make it easier to skim off the answer.

Originally Posted By: John Quoting Jesus
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:10-18, KJV)

How did Moses lift up the serpent in the wilderness? Jesus says that is the SAME WAY in which He would be lifted up....(on a cross). This is so clear a child could understand it. (Of course, one must have first heard the story of the serpents in the wilderness, to know what Jesus was talking about.) And what happened to Jesus on the cross? He died.

There are so many dissimilarities between the Nehushtan story and the Crucifixion story that I find it hard to say it clearly explains why Jesus had to die.

Quote:
GC: Incidentally, in the Chinese language, the word for "snake" and the word for "death" sound almost identical. The average American would say they ARE identical. The only difference is the tone in which it is stated. We can add to these two words the number "four" in Chinese, which again sounds much like "death." Because of this, Chinese culture considers the number four to be unlucky. Hospitals and hotels have no fourth floor...but they will have a thirteenth floor. smile And Chinese people don't seem to talk much about snakes either.

Thank you for the cool language lesson. However, the following insight does not clearly answer the title question of this thread - "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

This is very cryptic and symbolic. You are assuming Jesus is describing death by crucifixion because the Nehushtan story clearly does not specify it. Nevertheless, I believe it clearly implies Jesus had to die, otherwise sinners would perish with their sins.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109497
03/07/09 01:10 AM
03/07/09 01:10 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
"He that hath an ear, let him hear."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Green Cochoa] #109521
03/07/09 05:24 AM
03/07/09 05:24 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place.

You said it doesn't make sense. Something which doesn't make sense is illogical. You don't understand why it's valid because it isn't. You're absolutely right is asserting that it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
T: and not clearly explained in Scripture.

M:That's why I said it was taken for granted. They were relying on oral tradition.

This doesn't make sense either. An oral tradition that everybody took for granted, but nobody wrote down. Paul writes to the Gentiles about Christ, but doesn't explain the meaning of the death of Christ, because this is taken for granted because of oral tradition. How did, for example, the Galatians receive this oral tradition?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Green Cochoa] #109564
03/08/09 02:46 AM
03/08/09 02:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
"He that hath an ear, let him hear."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

GC, I take it you are giving up on me. That's too bad, though, because you didn't explain how the uplifted brazen serpent story clearly explains why Jesus had to die. Assuming it does isn't the same thing as explaining how it does.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #109566
03/08/09 03:03 AM
03/08/09 03:03 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place.

T: You said it doesn't make sense. Something which doesn't make sense is illogical. You don't understand why it's valid because it isn't. You're absolutely right is asserting that it doesn't make sense.

Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid. But this isn't to say it is illogical. I don't understand it, but I believe it because God said so.

Do you think death-row sinners are allowed to go free at least partly because Jesus died in their place?

Quote:
T: and not clearly explained in Scripture.

M: That's why I said it was taken for granted. They were relying on oral tradition.

T: This doesn't make sense either. An oral tradition that everybody took for granted, but nobody wrote down. Paul writes to the Gentiles about Christ, but doesn't explain the meaning of the death of Christ, because this is taken for granted because of oral tradition. How did, for example, the Galatians receive this oral tradition?

Are you assuming "explain why Jesus had to die" and "explain the meaning of the death of Christ" mean the same thing?

"How did, for example, the Galatians receive this oral tradition?" Why, Paul told them, of course!

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109573
03/08/09 05:56 AM
03/08/09 05:56 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place.

T: You said it doesn't make sense. Something which doesn't make sense is illogical. You don't understand why it's valid because it isn't. You're absolutely right is asserting that it doesn't make sense.

M:Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid. But this isn't to say it is illogical. I don't understand it, but I believe it because God said so.

So you think God wants you to believe things which don't make sense. I don't believe this is true. I think God appeals to us on the basis of reason. Not reason alone, but reason is involved. He doesn't ask us to believe things which don't make sense or aren't valid.

Quote:
God never asks us to believe, without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. His existence, His character, the truthfulness of His Word, are all established by testimony that appeals to our reason; and this testimony is abundant.(SC 105)

God never asks us to believe (note: never) without giving sufficient evidence upon which to base our faith. This evidence appeals to our reason.

Quote:
All whom God has blessed with reasoning powers are to become intellectual Christians. They are not requested to believe without evidence; therefore Jesus has enjoined upon all to search the Scriptures. Let the ingenious inquirer, and the one who would know for himself what is truth, exert his mental powers to search out the truth as it is in Jesus. (RH 3/8/87)

Quote:
It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny. (5T 707)

An argument which is based on "I believe this because God said so, but it doesn't make sense to me" is hardly one that can stand up to scrutiny. And it's unflattering to God. God has given us ample evidence upon which to understand the meaning of Christ's death. You're suggesting He came up with a way of saving us which doesn't appeal to our reason.

Quote:
Do you think death-row sinners are allowed to go free at least partly because Jesus died in their place?

This one flew way over my head. I have no idea either what you are talking about nor why.

Quote:
Are you assuming "explain why Jesus had to die" and "explain the meaning of the death of Christ" mean the same thing?

The meaning of the death of Christ encapsulates why Jesus had to die.

Quote:
"How did, for example, the Galatians receive this oral tradition?" Why, Paul told them, of course!

He told them. But not in his letters to them, which were inspired by the Holy Spirit for all time, but only when speaking to them in person? Why do you think the Holy Spirit would do this? Isn't it as important for the readers of Scripture to understand Christ's death as it was for the Galatians?

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!