HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 100 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109239
03/02/09 05:03 PM
03/02/09 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T:It sounds like you think Ellen White is schizophrenic.

M:You made this unsavory comment in response to Bob's list of questions. I, for one, see nothing schizophrenic about the way Bob harmonizes the Bible and the SOP descriptions of hellfire and brimstone and the lake of fire.

T: It appears you missed the point. The point is that Bob was emphasizing what certain phrases meant "in the text." My point was that "in the text" the phrases had to conform with what Ellen White said about the judgment of the wicked elsewhere. Otherwise she would be speaking at times with one paradigm in her head, and at other times with another, which is something a schizophrenic person would do. Assuming she wasn't schizophrenic, the phrases "in the text" mean what they mean elsewhere in her writings (or, better yet, the meaning conveyed by these phrases "in the text" is the same as the meaning conveyed on this subject elsewhere in her writings).

That's what I meant, namely, that Bob was taking it all into consideration. He wasn't redefining the other source of fire involved in the final judgment of the wicked.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109240
03/02/09 05:20 PM
03/02/09 05:20 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobryan
But I do know that the pointed questions I would ask the reader to consider before turnig a blind eye to the GC 672-673 would be something like this --

============================================
Questions for the reader.

1. What does the phrase “His fury upon all their armies” refer too in the text above”?
2. What does the phrase “Suffer the full penalty of sin in the fires” refer to – in the text above?
3. Is it the same as the phrase above “The full penalty of the LAW has been visited ”??
4. When the text speaks of those who “suffer for many days” does this mean all or just some?
5. When the text says that by comparison “he is still to live and suffer on” after all others have perished… is that fair?
6. In the text the argument is made that in this way “the demands of justice have been met” is that really true as you see it?
7. In the text above when it is said that ”punishment is far greater” for Satan than for others suffering there – are ALL punished??

It sounds like you think Ellen White is schizophrenic. She means the same thing in the passage you are suggesting as she does in this one:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.

1. I am simply asking that you pay at least some attention to the "details" in the statements she makes on the subject of the 2nd death and the 2nd coming as quoted in th above post. To this point you have been very very reluctant to bring yourself to read the questions to the point of actually answering each one "from the text".

In find that "instructive".

2. Your claim that the questions are pointing to details in conflict with the way you would like to have positioned other statements by Ellen White -- is also "instructive".

Notice that neither of these quotes argues that "God is arbitrary so he pours out unmingled wrath" AS IF there was any link at all between those two concepts.

You insert it -- but it is not in the text that you are so carefully avoiding.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109241
03/02/09 05:24 PM
03/02/09 05:24 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Notice carefully that what is described below is REAL fire -- to the point that it is coming from Rocks and even reshaping the surface of the earth!

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01998.htm

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin.

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}
[/color]

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31.

They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1.

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Great Controversy P 486
http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter01984.htm

In the typical service the high priest, having made the atonement for Israel, came forth and blessed the congregation. So Christ, at the close of His work as mediator, will appear, "without sin unto salvation" (Hebrews 9:28), to bless His waiting people with eternal life. As the priest, in removing the sins from the sanctuary, confessed them upon the head of the scapegoat, so Christ will place all these sins upon Satan, the originator and instigator of sin. The scapegoat, bearing the sins of Israel, was sent away "unto a land not inhabited" (Leviticus 16:22); so Satan, bearing the guilt of all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit, will be for a thousand years confined to the earth, which will then be desolate, without inhabitant, and he will at last suffer the
full penalty of sin in the fires that shall destroy all the wicked. [/b]
; Thus the great plan of redemption will reach its accomplishment in the final eradication of sin and the deliverance of all who have been willing to renounce evil. {GC 485.3}

[/quote]

Then of course as just stated in my previous post -- I would ask some very pointed questions that ask the reader to actually notice a couple of inconvenient details in the quotes above.

But some readers might simply consider this the "bad Ellen White" part of the Great Controversy so they can simply ignore it. Or maybe when they read this part of GC -- instead of seeing the words above -

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/02/09 05:54 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109242
03/02/09 05:26 PM
03/02/09 05:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, you need to listen to what I'm saying here. No matter you think I believe or what you think I've said about the GC 535 quote in the past, listen to me now. I'm telling you what I believe. Please listen to me. Ellen describes a view of hellfire on page 535 that is so far from the truth that there is no way I can compare it with her description of the lake of fire on pages 672 and 673.

T: Different in some way other than duration? Previously you said not. If you now wish to say it's different, that's fine. Just tell me how.

The two descriptions are so different that they cannot be compared. No part of one resembles any part of the other. I have always said this. If you disagree, please post a quote where I said otherwise.

Quote:
T: I was just taking your answer to my direct question at face value.

M:As I have explained above you cannot do this in all fairness.

T: I ask you a specific question, and you answer the question, and I can't in fairness accept your answer to my question? That's an odd thing to assert. Why not?

I’ve never said anything you’re accusing me of here.

Quote:
M: Are they burned alive? Or, are they burned to ashes after they die?

T: They are not burned alive by literal fire. Yes, they are burned to ashes after they are already dead.

M: Please quote from this passage to answer my question. Thank you.

T: Please quote from the passage I've cited from DA 108 where you think the fire that kills the wicked is literal.

I never said it is literal. I believe it is light. "The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked."

Now please answer my question. Thank you.

Quote:
M: If you ever hope to save me from the view I hold you're going to have to address this passage.

T: So why don't you reject the view that God would use His supernatural power to extend the lives of people to cause them further pain by burning them alive? Why do you think God is capable of such a thing?

First, Ellen’s description in GC 672 and 673 says nothing about God using supernatural power to enable sinners to burn and suffer unnaturally. Second, throughout the Bible, God employed the forces of nature to cause death and destruction.

He destroyed two cities full of sinners with fire and brimstone. They were burned alive. This is true whether we use your view to explain how He did it or mine. He also used fire to kill Nadab and Abihu, the people who complained, and the 250 priests who sided with Korah. All of them were burned alive.

Quote:
"Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven." Burned alive.

"And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD." Burned alive.

"And [when] the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard [it]; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed [them that were] in the uttermost parts of the camp." Burned alive.

"And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." Burned alive.

I could help noticing you implied God didn’t do these things because He is too kind and loving. Are you implying, then, that He didn’t even employ the “withdraw and permit” method of allowing death and destruction to happen?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109243
03/02/09 05:29 PM
03/02/09 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

The wicked, by ruining their own character, had made it so any revelation of God's character, which is agape, destroys them. Agape cannot be shrouded forever. When it is fully revealed, evil is overcome with good, and heaps of coal are heaped on the head of God's enemies. The penalty of the law is visited. God's wrath is appeased. Justice is satisfied. All of these things happen when agape is no long shrouded, when God's character is laid open for all to see.

Please point to me on pages 672 and 673 of the GC the fire you are talking about.

For example, is the following fire what you described above: "The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire"?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109250
03/02/09 05:55 PM
03/02/09 05:55 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
When we speak of "real" fire -- we are talking about something that even affects the rocks -- those rocks are not having an emotional moment.

Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109256
03/02/09 06:26 PM
03/02/09 06:26 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

"And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD." Burned alive.

Lev 10:5 So they went near, and carried them in their coats out of the camp; as Moses had said.

nadab and abihu: its interesting how that fire "devoured" them but not their clothes. selective fire? then it also doesnt appear that they were ashes, but bodies, like annanias and sapphira of the nt? that is a strange fire.

apart from that, your examples seem rather instantaneous.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109257
03/02/09 06:47 PM
03/02/09 06:47 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
well, first off where did tom present the "catholic" view since that was the post i was referring to. that is the right number since you found it, right?

The view Ellen described in the passages Tom posted is the Catholic view of hell. But as Tom pointed out most Protestants hold to this view as well. My bad. I should have said so. The origin of the view is Catholic.

t: does that cancel 109094? or do they fit together like pieces of a puzzle?

this refers to both toms ellen white statements and your ellen white statements. perhaps you could explain how that got confused so i can try to avoid that in the future.

That is exactly what I assumed in my initial response. I tried to demonstrate that, No, one does not cancel out the other, and that, No, the different quotes are not pieces of the same puzzle. So apparently we weren't talking past each other. At any rate, do you agree with my assessment of the quotes? If not, please explain.

she made comments about that view. the comments about that view, i believe, are worthy of study.

Quote:
How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live. Yet this doctrine has been widely taught and is still embodied in many of the creeds of Christendom. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"
Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity?

Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage?

No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11.

What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated. For, according to the teachings of these theologians, continued torture without hope of mercy maddens its wretched victims, and as they pour out their rage in curses and blasphemy, they are forever augmenting their load of guilt. God's glory is not enhanced by thus perpetuating continually increasing sin through ceaseless ages.

It is beyond the power of the human mind to estimate the evil which has been wrought by the heresy of eternal torment. The religion of the Bible, full of love and goodness, and abounding in compassion, is darkened by superstition and clothed with terror. When we consider in what false colors Satan has painted the character of God, can we wonder that our merciful Creator is feared, dreaded, and even hated? The appalling views of God which have spread over the world from the teachings of the pulpit have made thousands, yes, millions, of skeptics and infidels. (GC 535, 536)

perhaps, that is the problem. reading this as pertaining to only the "catholic" view, instead of understanding the principles she is stressing.

do you see it as "ok" for a specified time as opposed to eternity? God is somehow more "humane" because He will "torture" only for a limited amount of time as opposed to eternity?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109266
03/02/09 08:52 PM
03/02/09 08:52 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

Lev 10:5 So they went near, and carried them in their coats out of the camp; as Moses had said.

nadab and abihu: its interesting how that fire "devoured" them but not their clothes. selective fire? then it also doesnt appear that they were ashes, but bodies, like annanias and sapphira of the nt? that is a strange fire.

apart from that, your examples seem rather instantaneous.

There is nothing in this story that tells us that these men were "not burned -- they simply died of emotional stress" -- I am sure we all agree.

The fact that God is able to burn them so selectively -- that they burn without all of their clothing dissappearing -- is not a kind of "proof" that NEITHER they NOR their clothes burned.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109267
03/02/09 08:59 PM
03/02/09 08:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:It sounds like you think Ellen White is schizophrenic.

M:You made this unsavory comment in response to Bob's list of questions. I, for one, see nothing schizophrenic about the way Bob harmonizes the Bible and the SOP descriptions of hellfire and brimstone and the lake of fire.

T: It appears you missed the point. The point is that Bob was emphasizing what certain phrases meant "in the text." My point was that "in the text" the phrases had to conform with what Ellen White said about the judgment of the wicked elsewhere. Otherwise she would be speaking at times with one paradigm in her head, and at other times with another, which is something a schizophrenic person would do. Assuming she wasn't schizophrenic, the phrases "in the text" mean what they mean elsewhere in her writings (or, better yet, the meaning conveyed by these phrases "in the text" is the same as the meaning conveyed on this subject elsewhere in her writings).

M:That's what I meant, namely, that Bob was taking it all into consideration. He wasn't redefining the other source of fire involved in the final judgment of the wicked.

This is still missing the point. Bob wanted to limit things to just the text he had quoted, leaving out the texts I had cited from consideration.

My point was this shouldn't be done, but that all that has been written on the subject should be taken into account, that anything she wrote in one text (given she's not being schizophrenic) will agree with what she's written elsewhere.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 42 of 100 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!