HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 100 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109168
03/01/09 02:22 AM
03/01/09 02:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, whatever you think I believe about the unbiblical view of hellfire as described by Ellen in the GC passage you posted above I can assure you you are morbidly wrong on so many levels.

About what? If you're talking about GC 536 applying to your view, I specifically asked you if you agreed with the view described in GC 635, 636 apart from duration, and you said you did. I've been very careful each time I've referred to this passage to say that this is your view *except for the duration*. You agreed with this in the past, and nothing you've said so far disagrees with this, as the only point you've disagreed with, to date, on this thread is with the duration aspect.

Quote:
It is not helping your case against the view I hold to insist it is identical to that horrid description except in duration.

I was just taking your answer to my direct question at face value.

Quote:
You are being unfair and insensitive which is so unlike Jesus and so unlike your desire to be like Jesus that I find it hard to believe you are so eager to pursue this unlovely line of attack.

If I asked you a direct question, such as, "Do you agree that this represents your view, except for the duration" and you answer that you do, how am I being unfair?

If you disagree with my characterization, just tell me what part of the description of GC 635, 636, other than duration, that you disagree with, and I'll include that in any future comments I make.

Quote:
Please listen carefully. I agree with you that the "consuming fire" passages you quoted symbolize the internal agony sinners suffer as a result of facing their unveiled sins in judgment. However, I also happen to believe that the "fire" passages Bob and I quoted clearly describe the effects of literal fire upon the earth. Sinners also suffer the effects of this fire. It causes them intense physical pain.

The literal fire causes them pain? How would that fit with DA 764? Or DA 108?

Quote:
But such pain is hardly felt in contrast to the soul agony they suffer.

They would hardly feel being burned alive? This can't possibly be true. For one thing, the wicked do not have the agony of soul regarding sin that Jesus Christ had on the cross because Jesus Christ, as the Son of God, and as One who never sinned, had a far greater capacity for sin than a wicked person would have. Secondly, crucifixion, as bad as that is, would not compare to being burned alive by molten lava (or something similar), something which would kill a human being in a matter of seconds.

Regarding which fire is literal and which is symbolic, I believe the fire which causes the soul anguish of the wicked is symbolic, as per DA 764 and DA 108. I believe that there will be a literal fire which will cleanse the earth.

Regarding this comment:

Quote:
If you ever hope to save me from the view I hold you're going to have to address this passage.

I don't believe this at all. That is, the reason you hold the view you have is not because of the passage in question. It's much more deep-seated than that (assuming that's a word). If one took away this passage, you'd still hold to the view you hold, because of the way you perceive God to be. This isn't something which can be changed by considering a single passage. It's an issue of paradigm.

I'll see if I can write a post to give an example of this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109173
03/01/09 03:56 PM
03/01/09 03:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's an example of how two different paradigms can effect our view of what's going on in a passage:

Quote:
19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

20Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

21Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.(Rom. 12)

This brings out a few things:

1.We should not avenge ourselves.
2.Vengeance is the Lord's, who will repay.
3.Therefore if our enemy is hungry, we should feed him.
4.This heaps coals of fire on his head.
5.Evil will be overcome with good.

Here's one way of interpreting this.

Because God will give the wicked their comeuppance, we should be patient, and treat the wicked kindly, letting God be the hit guy, knowing that eventually they'll get what's coming to them. We leave God to do the avenging.

Now the key point in this way of looking at things is that we act differently than God does. We are kind and loving in our treatment of the wicked, whereas God is anything but.

Here's another way of interpreting the passage.

God will repay His enemies by returning good for evil, which will heap coals of fire upon their head, so we should do the same thing. We should love our enemies, just as God does, returning good for evil, just as God does.

In this view, we do not act differently than God does, but similarly, and for the same reason.

Note that treating our enemies with agape heaps coals of fire on their head. This is what happens in the final judgment.

This principle is described here:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. (DA 764)

And here:

Quote:
The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

The wicked, by ruining their own character, had made it so any revelation of God's character, which is agape, destroys them. Agape cannot be shrouded forever. When it is fully revealed, evil is overcome with good, and heaps of coal are heaped on the head of God's enemies. The penalty of the law is visited. God's wrath is appeased. Justice is satisfied. All of these things happen when agape is no long shrouded, when God's character is laid open for all to see.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109199
03/01/09 07:49 PM
03/01/09 07:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom (109094)
M: Neither the Bible nor the SOP could be more clear about it.

T: Sure they could. If the point of the Bible was that God will supernaturally extend the lives of the wicked so that they can be made to suffer excruciating pain, it could say so somewhere, or, more generally, present God has having the character of One who tortures.

From the SOP, she specifically argues against such an idea in a number of places, including, most pointedly, GC 536 where she expresses horror at the ideas being presented. I can only imagine her reaction if she could her the suggestions as to what she is saying in a way "that couldn't be clearer."

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live. Yet this doctrine has been widely taught and is still embodied in many of the creeds of Christendom. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11.

What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated. For, according to the teachings of these theologians, continued torture without hope of mercy maddens its wretched victims, and as they pour out their rage in curses and blasphemy, they are forever augmenting their load of guilt. God's glory is not enhanced by thus perpetuating continually increasing sin through ceaseless ages.

It is beyond the power of the human mind to estimate the evil which has been wrought by the heresy of eternal torment. The religion of the Bible, full of love and goodness, and abounding in compassion, is darkened by superstition and clothed with terror. When we consider in what false colors Satan has painted the character of God, can we wonder that our merciful Creator is feared, dreaded, and even hated? The appalling views of God which have spread over the world from the teachings of the pulpit have made thousands, yes, millions, of skeptics and infidels. (GC 535, 536)

Other than the duration of the suffering of the wicked, there's no difference between what you're asserting and the position she's arguing against here. (I'm asserting this not only due to a conclusion on my part, but because I asked you this specific question, and you agreed with it; i.e. that there's no difference between the views presented here -- specifically paragraphs 2 and 3 -- and what you've presented)

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
The following inspired description of hellfire and brimstone is foundational:

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

Originally Posted By: teresaq
t: does that cancel 109094? or do they fit together like pieces of a puzzle?

M: There is no comparison between the Catholic view of eternal torment and the view she describes above. "Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds."

t: since i am the one who wrote this, i have to wonder which reader is ignoring what.....

M: No, they do not fit together like a puzzle, that is, they are not describing the same lake of fire. The Catholic view of hellfire is so distorted that it in no way resembles the truth as described in the Bible and the SOP. There are Protestant views that are also so far off the mark that they do not close to the truth. Do you see the two different descriptions of hellfire as two pieces of the same puzzle? If so, please explain.

t: perhaps you would like to go back to when i originally said the red bolded part and see where you detoured at. smile

I've recreated the dialog above. I thought I was addressing your question. Please explain to me where I detoured. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109200
03/01/09 07:54 PM
03/01/09 07:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
It sounds like you think Ellen White is schizophrenic.

You made this unsavory comment in response to Bob's list of questions. I, for one, see nothing schizophrenic about the way Bob harmonizes the Bible and the SOP descriptions of hellfire and brimstone and the lake of fire.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109203
03/01/09 08:31 PM
03/01/09 08:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, whatever you think I believe about the unbiblical view of hellfire as described by Ellen in the GC passage you posted above I can assure you you are morbidly wrong on so many levels.

T: About what? If you're talking about GC 536 applying to your view, I specifically asked you if you agreed with the view described in GC 635, 636 apart from duration, and you said you did. I've been very careful each time I've referred to this passage to say that this is your view *except for the duration*. You agreed with this in the past, and nothing you've said so far disagrees with this, as the only point you've disagreed with, to date, on this thread is with the duration aspect.

Tom, you need to listen to what I'm saying here. No matter you think I believe or what you think I've said about the GC 535 quote in the past, listen to me now. I'm telling you what I believe. Please listen to me. Ellen describes a view of hellfire on page 535 that is so far from the truth that there is no way I can compare it with her description of the lake of fire on pages 672 and 673.

Quote:
M: It is not helping your case against the view I hold to insist it is identical to that horrid description except in duration.

T: I was just taking your answer to my direct question at face value.

As I have explained above you cannot do this in all fairness.

Quote:
M: You are being unfair and insensitive which is so unlike Jesus and so unlike your desire to be like Jesus that I find it hard to believe you are so eager to pursue this unlovely line of attack.

T: If I asked you a direct question, such as, "Do you agree that this represents your view, except for the duration" and you answer that you do, how am I being unfair?

If you disagree with my characterization, just tell me what part of the description of GC 635, 636, other than duration, that you disagree with, and I'll include that in any future comments I make.

I assume you mean page 535. I disagree with all of it.

Quote:
M: Please listen carefully. I agree with you that the "consuming fire" passages you quoted symbolize the internal agony sinners suffer as a result of facing their unveiled sins in judgment. However, I also happen to believe that the "fire" passages Bob and I quoted clearly describe the effects of literal fire upon the earth. Sinners also suffer the effects of this fire. It causes them intense physical pain.

T: The literal fire causes them pain? How would that fit with DA 764? Or DA 108?

They're talking about two different sources of fire.

Quote:
M: But such pain is hardly felt in contrast to the soul agony they suffer.

T: They would hardly feel being burned alive? This can't possibly be true. For one thing, the wicked do not have the agony of soul regarding sin that Jesus Christ had on the cross because Jesus Christ, as the Son of God, and as One who never sinned, had a far greater capacity for sin than a wicked person would have. Secondly, crucifixion, as bad as that is, would not compare to being burned alive by molten lava (or something similar), something which would kill a human being in a matter of seconds.

Are they burned alive? Or, are they burned to ashes after they die?

Quote:
T: Regarding which fire is literal and which is symbolic, I believe the fire which causes the soul anguish of the wicked is symbolic, as per DA 764 and DA 108. I believe that there will be a literal fire which will cleanse the earth.

According to Ellen's description in GC 672, 673 do you think the literal fire comes after all the sinners are dead? Please quote from this passage to answer my question. Thank you.

Quote:
Regarding this comment: "If you ever hope to save me from the view I hold you're going to have to address this passage." I don't believe this at all. That is, the reason you hold the view you have is not because of the passage in question. It's much more deep-seated than that (assuming that's a word). If one took away this passage, you'd still hold to the view you hold, because of the way you perceive God to be. This isn't something which can be changed by considering a single passage. It's an issue of paradigm.

Throughout the Bible God employed the forces of nature to cause death and destruction. He destroyed two cities full of sinners with fire and brimstone. They were burned alive. This is true whether we use your view to explain how He did it or mine. He also used fire to kill Nadab and Abihu, the people who complained, and the 250 priests who sided with Korah. All of them were burned alive.

"Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven." Burned alive.

"And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD." Burned alive.

"And [when] the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard [it]; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed [them that were] in the uttermost parts of the camp." Burned alive.

"And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." Burned alive.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109204
03/01/09 08:43 PM
03/01/09 08:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. (DA 108)

The wicked, by ruining their own character, had made it so any revelation of God's character, which is agape, destroys them. Agape cannot be shrouded forever. When it is fully revealed, evil is overcome with good, and heaps of coal are heaped on the head of God's enemies. The penalty of the law is visited. God's wrath is appeased. Justice is satisfied. All of these things happen when agape is no long shrouded, when God's character is laid open for all to see.

Please point to me on pages 672 and 673 of the GC the fire you are talking about. For example, does the following description speak about the fire you described above: "The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire"? If not, then please point it out to me. Thank you.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109211
03/01/09 09:54 PM
03/01/09 09:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:It sounds like you think Ellen White is schizophrenic.

M:You made this unsavory comment in response to Bob's list of questions. I, for one, see nothing schizophrenic about the way Bob harmonizes the Bible and the SOP descriptions of hellfire and brimstone and the lake of fire.

It appears you missed the point. The point is that Bob was emphasizing what certain phrases meant "in the text." My point was that "in the text" the phrases had to conform with what Ellen White said about the judgment of the wicked elsewhere. Otherwise she would be speaking at times with one paradigm in her head, and at other times with another, which is something a schizophrenic person would do. Assuming she wasn't schizophrenic, the phrases "in the text" mean what they mean elsewhere in her writings (or, better yet, the meaning conveyed by these phrases "in the text" is the same as the meaning conveyed on this subject elsewhere in her writings).

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109214
03/01/09 10:09 PM
03/01/09 10:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ellen describes a view of hellfire on page 535 that is so far from the truth that there is no way I can compare it with her description of the lake of fire on pages 672 and 673.

Different in some way other than duration? Previously you said not. If you now wish to say it's different, that's fine. Just tell me how.

Quote:
T: I was just taking your answer to my direct question at face value.

M:As I have explained above you cannot do this in all fairness.

I ask you a specific question, and you answer the question, and I can't in fairness accept your answer to my question? That's an odd thing to assert. Why not?

Quote:
Are they burned alive? Or, are they burned to ashes after they die?

They are not burned alive by literal fire. Yes, they are burned to ashes after they are already dead.

Quote:
Please quote from this passage to answer my question. Thank you.

Please quote from the passage I've cited from DA 108 where you think the fire that kills the wicked is literal.

Regarding your response to the following:

Quote:
Regarding this comment: "If you ever hope to save me from the view I hold you're going to have to address this passage." I don't believe this at all. That is, the reason you hold the view you have is not because of the passage in question. It's much more deep-seated than that (assuming that's a word). If one took away this passage, you'd still hold to the view you hold, because of the way you perceive God to be. This isn't something which can be changed by considering a single passage. It's an issue of paradigm.

In nothing you said was the issue of God's actively working, using His supernatural power to do so, to keep the wicked alive so they could suffer longer the inexpressible anguish and suffering that being burned alive would cause.

Neither you nor Bob have answered my question as to how you think God is capable of the things you are suggesting He will do.

Here's an example of my question. Suppose someone came up with some interpretation of the SOP which had God doing something you regarded as immoral, like, for example, cursing (I'm assuming you would consider this something impossible for God to do, because of His character). You would reject the view out of hand, because you reject that God is incapable of doing such a thing (i.e. curse). So before you even considered the SOP text which supposedly said this, you would know the asserted conclusion couldn't possibly be true.

So why don't you reject the view that God would use His supernatural power to extend the lives of people to cause them further pain by burning them alive? Why do you think God is capable of such a thing?

Re: does God punish? [Re: Mountain Man] #109215
03/01/09 10:38 PM
03/01/09 10:38 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom (109094)
M: Neither the Bible nor the SOP could be more clear about it.

T: Sure they could. If the point of the Bible was that God will supernaturally extend the lives of the wicked so that they can be made to suffer excruciating pain, it could say so somewhere, or, more generally, present God has having the character of One who tortures.

From the SOP, she specifically argues against such an idea in a number of places, including, most pointedly, GC 536 where she expresses horror at the ideas being presented. I can only imagine her reaction if she could her the suggestions as to what she is saying in a way "that couldn't be clearer."

How repugnant to every emotion of love and mercy, and even to our sense of justice, is the doctrine that the wicked dead are tormented with fire and brimstone in an eternally burning hell; that for the sins of a brief earthly life they are to suffer torture as long as God shall live. Yet this doctrine has been widely taught and is still embodied in many of the creeds of Christendom. Said a learned doctor of divinity: "The sight of hell torments will exalt the happiness of the saints forever. When they see others who are of the same nature and born under the same circumstances, plunged in such misery, and they so distinguished, it will make them sensible of how happy they are." Another used these words: "While the decree of reprobation is eternally executing on the vessels of wrath, the smoke of their torment will be eternally ascending in view of the vessels of mercy, who, instead of taking the part of these miserable objects, will say, Amen, Alleluia! praise ye the Lord!"

Where, in the pages of God's word, is such teaching to be found? Will the redeemed in heaven be lost to all emotions of pity and compassion, and even to feelings of common humanity? Are these to be exchanged for the indifference of the stoic or the cruelty of the savage? No, no; such is not the teaching of the Book of God. Those who present the views expressed in the quotations given above may be learned and even honest men, but they are deluded by the sophistry of Satan. He leads them to misconstrue strong expressions of Scripture, giving to the language the coloring of bitterness and malignity which pertains to himself, but not to our Creator. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11.

What would be gained to God should we admit that He delights in witnessing unceasing tortures; that He is regaled with the groans and shrieks and imprecations of the suffering creatures whom He holds in the flames of hell? Can these horrid sounds be music in the ear of Infinite Love? It is urged that the infliction of endless misery upon the wicked would show God's hatred of sin as an evil which is ruinous to the peace and order of the universe. Oh, dreadful blasphemy! As if God's hatred of sin is the reason why it is perpetuated. For, according to the teachings of these theologians, continued torture without hope of mercy maddens its wretched victims, and as they pour out their rage in curses and blasphemy, they are forever augmenting their load of guilt. God's glory is not enhanced by thus perpetuating continually increasing sin through ceaseless ages.

It is beyond the power of the human mind to estimate the evil which has been wrought by the heresy of eternal torment. The religion of the Bible, full of love and goodness, and abounding in compassion, is darkened by superstition and clothed with terror. When we consider in what false colors Satan has painted the character of God, can we wonder that our merciful Creator is feared, dreaded, and even hated? The appalling views of God which have spread over the world from the teachings of the pulpit have made thousands, yes, millions, of skeptics and infidels. (GC 535, 536)

Other than the duration of the suffering of the wicked, there's no difference between what you're asserting and the position she's arguing against here. (I'm asserting this not only due to a conclusion on my part, but because I asked you this specific question, and you agreed with it; i.e. that there's no difference between the views presented here -- specifically paragraphs 2 and 3 -- and what you've presented)

The following inspired description of hellfire and brimstone is foundational:

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

M: There is no comparison between the Catholic view of eternal torment and the view she describes above. "Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds."

t: since i am the one who wrote this, i have to wonder which reader is ignoring what.....

M: No, they do not fit together like a puzzle, that is, they are not describing the same lake of fire. The Catholic view of hellfire is so distorted that it in no way resembles the truth as described in the Bible and the SOP. There are Protestant views that are also so far off the mark that they do not close to the truth. Do you see the two different descriptions of hellfire as two pieces of the same puzzle? If so, please explain.

t: perhaps you would like to go back to when i originally said the red bolded part and see where you detoured at. smile

I've recreated the dialog above. I thought I was addressing your question. Please explain to me where I detoured. Thank you.

it appears rather self-evident to me........

well, first off where did tom present the "catholic" view since that was the post i was referring to. that is the right number since you found it, right?

this refers to both toms ellen white statements and your ellen white statements. perhaps you could explain how that got confused so i can try to avoid that in the future....... dunno

second
Quote:
was in response to bobryan, it was right below his comment. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: does God punish? [Re: teresaq] #109238
03/02/09 04:57 PM
03/02/09 04:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
well, first off where did tom present the "catholic" view since that was the post i was referring to. that is the right number since you found it, right?

The view Ellen described in the passages Tom posted is the Catholic view of hell. But as Tom pointed out most Protestants hold to this view as well. My bad. I should have said so. The origin of the view is Catholic.

this refers to both toms ellen white statements and your ellen white statements. perhaps you could explain how that got confused so i can try to avoid that in the future.

That is exactly what I assumed in my initial response. I tried to demonstrate that, No, one does not cancel out the other, and that, No, the different quotes are not pieces of the same puzzle. So apparently we weren't talking past each other. At any rate, do you agree with my assessment of the quotes? If not, please explain.

Page 41 of 100 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!