HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,070
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 19
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, daylily), 2,156 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #109423
03/05/09 04:22 PM
03/05/09 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
PS - The quotes posted above demonstrate that the plan of salvation is mysterious and unexplainable.

I'm assuming this is directed at me, with the idea of defending the idea of "ignorant obedience."

I agree with your PS. What's mysterious and unexplainable is the love of God which would lead Him to give so much. Also that this gift can have the effect of fixing things, for beings so entrenched in sin.

No, it was directed at GC. And, another thing about the plan of salvation that is mysterious and unexplainable is how and why the death of Jesus serves as ransom for sinners, how and why it pays their sin debt of death since He was sinless. How and why does His death satisfy justice? How and why does it clear the guilty? It makes no sense to let a death row criminal go free simply because an innocent, sinless man died in his place. Such an exchange does not serve justice - even if the judge could guarantee society that the criminal will never sin again.

Quote:
"Ye know," says Peter, "that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold." Oh, had these been sufficient to purchase the salvation of man, how easily it might have been accomplished by Him who says: "The silver is mine, and the gold is mine" (Haggai 2:8). But the transgressor of God's holy law could be redeemed only by the precious blood of the Son of God. {AG 172.2}

It was through infinite sacrifice and inexpressible suffering that our Redeemer placed redemption within our reach. He was in this world unhonored and unknown, that, through His wonderful condescension and humiliation, He might exalt man to receive eternal honors and immortal joys in the heavenly courts. During His thirty years of life on earth His heart was wrung with inconceivable anguish. The path from the manger to Calvary was shadowed by grief and sorrow. He was a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief, enduring such heartache as no human language can portray. He could have said in truth, "Behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow" (Lam. 1:12). Hating sin with a perfect hatred, He yet gathered to His soul the sins of the whole world. Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. Innocent, yet offering Himself as a substitute for the transgressor. The guilt of every sin pressed its weight upon the divine soul of the world's Redeemer. The evil thoughts, the evil words, the evil deeds of every son and daughter of Adam, called for retribution upon Himself; for He had become man's substitute. Though the guilt of sin was not His, His spirit was torn and bruised by the transgressions of men, and He who knew no sin became sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. {AG 172.3}

What a price has been paid for us! Behold the cross, and the Victim uplifted upon it. Look at those hands, pierced with the cruel nails. Look at His feet, fastened with spikes to the tree. Christ bore our sins in His own body. That suffering, that agony, is the price of your redemption. {AG 172.4}

The cities of refuge were so distributed as to be within a half day's journey of every part of the land. The roads leading to them were always to be kept in good repair; all along the way signposts were to be erected bearing the word "Refuge" in plain, bold characters, that the fleeing one might not be delayed for a moment. Any person--Hebrew, stranger, or sojourner--might avail himself of this provision. But while the guiltless were not to be rashly slain, neither were the guilty to escape punishment. The case of the fugitive was to be fairly tried by the proper authorities, and only when found innocent of intentional murder was he to be protected in the city of refuge. The guilty were given up to the avenger. And those who were entitled to protection could receive it only on condition of remaining within the appointed refuge. Should one wander away beyond the prescribed limits, and be found by the avenger of blood, his life would pay the penalty of his disregard of the Lord's provision. At the death of the high priest, however, all who had sought shelter in the cities of refuge were at liberty to return to their possessions. {PP 515.3}

The death of Jesus serves more than merely influencing sinners to repent and obey God. It also serves to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice in requiring punishment and death in consequence of sin. Past, pardoned sins cannot be simply dismissed as irrelevant. Punishment and death must happen in consequence of sin. Just because a sinner ceases sinning it doesn't mean the sins he committed in the past are no longer deserving of punishment and death.

Quote:
God's forgiveness is not merely a judicial act by which He sets us free from condemnation. It is not only forgiveness for sin, but reclaiming from sin. It is the outflow of redeeming love that transforms the heart. {MB 114.1}

Thus through Christ's offering of Himself, the innocent for the guilty, every obstruction is removed, and the pardoning love of God flows forth in rich streams of mercy to fallen man. {TDG 38.3}

The light of the knowledge of the glory of God is revealed in the face of Jesus Christ; and the words of pardon are spoken: Live, O ye guilty sinners, live. Your repentance is accepted; for I have found a ransom. {OHC 46.3}

Christ's death on the cross was one of willing obedience, else in it there would have been no merit; for justice would not punish in the place of the sinner an innocent being who was unwilling to bear the penalty. {FLB 97.3}

Imagine, if possible, the nature and degree of Christ's sufferings. This suffering in humanity was to prevent the outpouring of the wrath of God upon the whole of those for whom Christ died. {HP 42.4}

When man was doomed to death by transgression of the law of God, the Father, looking upon His Son, said to the sinner, "Live: I have found a ransom." {PP 154.1}

The sin of the whole world was laid upon Jesus, and divinity gave its highest value to the suffering of humanity in Jesus, that the whole world might be pardoned through faith in the Substitute. The most guilty need have no fear that God will not pardon, for because of the efficacy of the divine sacrifice the penalty of the law will be remitted. Through Christ the sinner may return to allegiance to God. {FLB 104.9}

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Green Cochoa] #109424
03/05/09 04:29 PM
03/05/09 04:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
GC, do we add anything to the salvation Jesus wrought out for us when we consent and cooperate with God? I agree with you that our faith must work by love and purify us even as Jesus is pure but do we add to the work of Jesus as we experience genuine faith and works? Was His work incomplete and we must somehow add to it? Or, is Jesus' work the root of salvation and the good works we experience are the fruit of His work?

Mike,

If Jesus is all-powerful God, and if His sacrifice was sufficient for all people who ever lived on earth, then why will the majority be lost?

Obviously, then, the sacrifice alone is insufficient to save us. We must help God, by working together with Him in surrendering our will to His and choosing to live for Him. Without this, we cannot be saved.

The gift is sufficient. It is free. But free gifts are not actually "gifts" until they have been received. One can say that we need do nothing, for Christ has paid the debt, and be correct, or incorrect, depending on the nuance of interpretation. If we interpret the statement to mean that we need not pay anything, it is correct. If we say, however, that we can just sit idle and expect salvation to drop in our laps without any effort or request or seeking on our part, we are flat wrong.

Can you tell me why, for example, the Bible says "the prayer of a righteous man availeth much"?

If God makes us righteous, then why would He be so unfair as to thus qualify only a select few? It is only understood correctly when we realize that each of us has a choice in the matter, and that not all choose the path of righteousness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

GC, I think you are misunderstanding my point. Yes, I agree sinners must consent and cooperate with God for the free gift to benefit them personally. But that's not what I'm addressing. Instead, what I'm asking is - Do we add anything to the work of Jesus when we consent and cooperate with God and experience repentance and righteousness by faith?

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #109425
03/05/09 04:39 PM
03/05/09 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the following passage verifies the truth. Pardon does not cancel out the death sentence. The death of a substitute serves to satisfy justice.

Though there would be found none in Israel to execute the sentence of death upon the anointed of the Lord, David trembled, lest, guilty and unforgiven, he should be cut down by the swift judgment of God. But the message was sent him by the prophet, "The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." Yet justice must be maintained. The sentence of death was transferred from David to the child of his sin. {PP 722.2}

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #109426
03/05/09 04:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
No, it was directed at GC. And, another thing about the plan of salvation that is mysterious and unexplainable is how and why the death of Jesus serves as ransom for sinners, how and why it pays their sin debt of death since He was sinless. How and why does His death satisfy justice? How and why does it clear the guilty? It makes no sense to let a death row criminal go free simply because an innocent, sinless man died in his place. Such an exchange does not serve justice - even if the judge could guarantee society that the criminal will never sin again.

I agree with you this idea you're sharing doesn't make sense. I also agree with you that this idea (at least in the form of a clear explanation of Christ's death) does not exist in Scripture.

So, in order for your idea to be true, it must be the case that:

1.God uses a means to save people which is illogical.
2.God uses a means to save people which isn't clearly explained in Scripture.

When you add to this your ideas regarding how God deals with the wicked in the judgment, you have (what appears to me) a very odd concept of what God is like (and not very attractive). Why not attactive? Because you would have God torture (my word, not yours) and kill people who do not follow an illogical plan He invented which He didn't have clearly explained in Scripture.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #109427
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
GC, do we add anything to the salvation Jesus wrought out for us when we consent and cooperate with God? I agree with you that our faith must work by love and purify us even as Jesus is pure but do we add to the work of Jesus as we experience genuine faith and works? Was His work incomplete and we must somehow add to it? Or, is Jesus' work the root of salvation and the good works we experience are the fruit of His work?

Mike,

If Jesus is all-powerful God, and if His sacrifice was sufficient for all people who ever lived on earth, then why will the majority be lost?

Obviously, then, the sacrifice alone is insufficient to save us. We must help God, by working together with Him in surrendering our will to His and choosing to live for Him. Without this, we cannot be saved.

The gift is sufficient. It is free. But free gifts are not actually "gifts" until they have been received. One can say that we need do nothing, for Christ has paid the debt, and be correct, or incorrect, depending on the nuance of interpretation. If we interpret the statement to mean that we need not pay anything, it is correct. If we say, however, that we can just sit idle and expect salvation to drop in our laps without any effort or request or seeking on our part, we are flat wrong.

Can you tell me why, for example, the Bible says "the prayer of a righteous man availeth much"?

If God makes us righteous, then why would He be so unfair as to thus qualify only a select few? It is only understood correctly when we realize that each of us has a choice in the matter, and that not all choose the path of righteousness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

GC, I think you are misunderstanding my point. Yes, I agree sinners must consent and cooperate with God for the free gift to benefit them personally. But that's not what I'm addressing. Instead, what I'm asking is - Do we add anything to the work of Jesus when we consent and cooperate with God and experience repentance and righteousness by faith?

Yes, Mike, I think we do. We add our vote before the watching universe for the superiority of Christ's plan. We help to counter His shame upon the cross, for He has not died for us in vain. And we help Him to prove His words that, "I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men to me."

So, what we add can be summed up in one word: validity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #109428
03/05/09 05:22 PM
03/05/09 05:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
These too:

Consider the Captain of our salvation. He suffered shame for us that we might not suffer everlasting shame and contempt. He suffered on the cross, that mercy might be granted to fallen man. God's justice is preserved, and guilty man is pardoned. Jesus dies that the sinner might live. Shame is borne by the Son of the Highest for the sake of poor sinners, that they might be ransomed and crowned with eternal glory. {TMK 287.3}

But David makes no excuse. Justice points to the broken tablets of the broken law and draws her sword against the transgressor. All apologies or excuses for sin are of no value with God. The sentiment of the soul of David was, Who shall testify to lessen the guilt of the sinner when God testifies against him? God's verdict--guilty--has gone forth, and man cannot erase it. {TSB 179.3}

Says the apostle: "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself." Only as we contemplate the great plan of redemption can we have a just appreciation of the character of God. The work of creation was a manifestation of His love; but the gift of God to save the guilty and ruined race, alone reveals the infinite depths of divine tenderness and compassion. "God so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." While the law of God is maintained, and its justice vindicated, the sinner can be pardoned. The dearest gift that heaven itself had to bestow has been poured out that God "might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." By that gift men are uplifted from the ruin and degradation of sin to become children of God. Says Paul: "Ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." {5T 739.2}

The brief but terrible history of Ananias and Sapphira is traced by the pen of inspiration for the benefit of all who profess to be the followers of Christ. This important lesson has not rested with sufficient weight upon the minds of our people. It will be profitable for all to thoughtfully consider the nature of the grievous offense for which these guilty ones were made an example. This one marked evidence of God's retributive justice is fearful, and should lead all to fear and tremble to repeat sins which brought such a punishment. Selfishness was the great sin which had warped the characters of this guilty couple. {4T 462.2}

I saw the mercy and compassion of God in giving his Son to die for guilty man. Those who will not choose to accept salvation which has been so dearly purchased for them, must be punished. Beings whom God created have chosen to rebel against his government; but I saw that God did not shut them up in hell to endure endless misery. He could not take them to heaven; for to bring them into the company of the pure and holy would make them perfectly miserable. God will not take them to heaven, neither will he cause them to suffer eternally. He will destroy them utterly, and cause them to be as though they had not been, and then his justice will be satisfied. He formed man out of the dust of the earth, and the disobedient and unholy will be consumed by fire, and return to dust again. I saw that the benevolence and compassion of God in this, should lead all to admire his character, and to adore him; and after the wicked shall be destroyed from off the earth, all the heavenly host will say, Amen! {1SG 118.1}

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Mountain Man] #109429
03/05/09 05:25 PM
03/05/09 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: GC
So, what we add can be summed up in one word: validity.

The work of Jesus was validated by God Himself. How can we improve upon that?

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #109430
03/05/09 05:29 PM
03/05/09 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I agree with you this idea you're sharing doesn't make sense. I also agree with you that this idea (at least in the form of a clear explanation of Christ's death) does not exist in Scripture.

So, in order for your idea to be true, it must be the case that:

1.God uses a means to save people which is illogical.
2.God uses a means to save people which isn't clearly explained in Scripture.

When you add to this your ideas regarding how God deals with the wicked in the judgment, you have (what appears to me) a very odd concept of what God is like (and not very attractive). Why not attactive? Because you would have God torture (my word, not yours) and kill people who do not follow an illogical plan He invented which He didn't have clearly explained in Scripture.

Tom, please comment on each one of the passages I posted to support my view. Each quote clearly say, Yes, to the title question of this thread.

Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #109431
03/05/09 05:33 PM
03/05/09 05:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, the following passage verifies the truth. Pardon does not cancel out the death sentence. The death of a substitute serves to satisfy justice.

Death comes as a result of sin. The way to remove the death sentence, if one wishes to speak in these terms, is to remove sin.

Quote:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Matt. 1:21)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? [Re: Tom] #109471
03/06/09 03:44 PM
03/06/09 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, did Jesus have to earn the right to pardon and save sinners? Please explain. Also, I posted many passages which clearly say, Yes, and you haven't responded to them yet. Please do so. Thank you.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/21/24 01:01 AM
Understanding the Battle of Armageddon
by dedication. 10/19/24 03:08 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by dedication. 10/21/24 08:37 PM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!