HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #109914
03/15/09 07:33 PM
03/15/09 07:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I think the expression “doesn’t make sense” means something else to me than it does to you. I am using it to convey the idea that I cannot explain how or why God does certain things. For example, I cannot explain how Jesus became a human being.

T: No, this isn't the sense you use it. In this sense, of course there are things we cannot explain. We cannot understand how it is that God had no beginning, or how God could become a human being, or the Godhead, or the enormity of God's love for us. This isn't what you were saying, however, nor what I was referring to.

You use the expression in dealing with things God does, saying "for reasons that make sense to Him." Also, in terms of the atonement, you described a system which you said was not valid (your words) and said it didn't make sense to you why this should save us. This is what I'm talking about. This kind of "does not make sense to me" is dangerous.

M:Did you really just say my explanation of how I was using the expression “doesn’t make sense to me” is incorrect?

Yes. You did not address correctly what you actually did, which I pointed out. If you were using it in the sense you alleged, I wouldn't have commented and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You spoke of a system based on a procedure you said was "invalid," and explained that this didn't make sense to you. This is very different than not understanding how God became a human being, which nobody understands.

Quote:
Ellen compared the “punishment” at the end of time to stoning someone to death. What is so symbiotic about capital punishment?

What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

It seems to me she's making the same point that I'm making, actually, that she made, that death is the inevitable result of sin. So even though there was an earthly punishment, this was not the death which comes as the inevitable result of sin.

Quote:
T: On the other hand, if death is the inevitable result of sin, then it's easy to see that God, being love, would do everything possible to free man from sin. The atonement is God's way of freeing man from sin. The Plan of Salvation, the vindication of God's throne, comes about as a result of demonstrating Satan's true character in contrast with His own, and the effects of sin. Everything ties together.

M:It is unfair and unkind of you to imply my view doesn’t include the moral influence aspect of Jesus’ death.

I didn't say this. You say that death does not result from sin. I say it does. I was explaining what logically follows from taking this point of view.

In regards to the moral influence of Jesus' death, this certainly isn't something you emphasize. If you mention it at all, it's only as a distant afterthought. You can go pages upon pages, weeks at a time, without mentioning it at all.

Quote:
M:Death is the result of sin. Capital punishment is the penalty or wages of sin.

What EGW wrote is that had God *left* Satan to reap the result of his sin, he would have perished, but had God done so, this would have planted a seed of doubt in the angels because they did not understand that death is the inevitable result of sin. I don't see you can possibly disagree with this way of putting DA 764, as this is just what she says. Now this doesn't make any sense whatsoever if Satan dies because God kills him.

Quote:
You can search this forum from the beginning and you’ll not find one post that supports your accusation. I believe Jesus “tasted” and consumed and conquered the second death experience beginning in Gethsemane and ending on Golgotha.

Sorry if I misrepresented you, but I recall you emphasizing many times that Jesus' death was very different than the death of the wicked.

Quote:
You know in your heart that I have affirmed these reasons. We agree these are important reasons why Jesus died. Our disagreement has to do with the legal aspect. BTW, I do not see this aspect as primary. None of the reasons are more important than the others. They are equally important.

You certainly gave the impression that the legal aspect is primary. This is what you speak of over 95% of the time.

Ok, if this is what you say (even if your actions don't support this) I'll take you at your word, and represent it as a reason you believe Christ died, one among many, equally important as the others.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110007
03/16/09 06:52 PM
03/16/09 06:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I think the expression “doesn’t make sense” means something else to me than it does to you. I am using it to convey the idea that I cannot explain how or why God does certain things. For example, I cannot explain how Jesus became a human being.

T: No, this isn't the sense you use it. In this sense, of course there are things we cannot explain. We cannot understand how it is that God had no beginning, or how God could become a human being, or the Godhead, or the enormity of God's love for us. This isn't what you were saying, however, nor what I was referring to.

You use the expression in dealing with things God does, saying "for reasons that make sense to Him." Also, in terms of the atonement, you described a system which you said was not valid (your words) and said it didn't make sense to you why this should save us. This is what I'm talking about. This kind of "does not make sense to me" is dangerous.

M: Did you really just say my explanation of how I was using the expression “doesn’t make sense to me” is incorrect?

T: Yes. You did not address correctly what you actually did, which I pointed out. If you were using it in the sense you alleged, I wouldn't have commented and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You spoke of a system based on a procedure you said was "invalid," and explained that this didn't make sense to you. This is very different than not understanding how God became a human being, which nobody understands.

Tom, I know what I meant to say and what I didn’t mean to say. You can believe me or continue to believe whatever you want. I have changed my mind. Obviously I used words that made you think I meant something other than what I believe. So, disregard those words and listen to what I’m telling you now. I’m trying to use words that will help you understand what I believe.

Quote:
M: What I am saying is one of the reasons why Jesus had to die was because law and justice require death in consequence of sin. Someone must die in consequence of sin. Just because sinners are pardoned and cease sinning it does not mean the death sentence can simply be annulled (canceled, repealed, rescinded). The part I don’t understand is how and why God can credit to my account Jesus’ death and righteousness and treat me as if I never sinned.

T: Your whole paradigm is, from my perspective, arbitrary in nature, which is evident by the way you phrase things. For example, you speak of death happening because the law requires it, as opposed to being "the inevitable result of sin." You see no organic relationship between sin and death, and everything falls apart from there. If you see no relationship between sin and death, you have no choice but to see the atonement, the plan of salvation, the vindication of God's throne, the judgment, the destruction of the wicked, as being arbitrary; you can't avoid it. Your paradigm forces you to do so.

M: Ellen compared the “punishment” at the end of time to stoning someone to death. What is so symbiotic about capital punishment?

“What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

T: It seems to me she's making the same point that I'm making, actually, that she made, that death is the inevitable result of sin. So even though there was an earthly punishment, this was not the death which comes as the inevitable result of sin.

No, what she is said that the punishment for sin did not end with the execution of capital punishment. So, the question remains unanswered - What is so symbiotic, so organic about capital punishment? You make it sound like the crime is what inflicts the punishment. But Ellen says the penalty for sinning is punishment. She doesn’t say the punishment is the crime.

Quote:
T: On the other hand, if death is the inevitable result of sin, then it's easy to see that God, being love, would do everything possible to free man from sin. The atonement is God's way of freeing man from sin. The Plan of Salvation, the vindication of God's throne, comes about as a result of demonstrating Satan's true character in contrast with His own, and the effects of sin. Everything ties together.

M: It is unfair and unkind of you to imply my view doesn’t include the moral influence aspect of Jesus’ death.

T: I didn't say this. You say that death does not result from sin. I say it does. I was explaining what logically follows from taking this point of view.

Do you agree with me that the view I have embraced includes the moral influence aspect of Jesus’ death?

Quote:
T: In regards to the moral influence of Jesus' death, this certainly isn't something you emphasize. If you mention it at all, it's only as a distant afterthought. You can go pages upon pages, weeks at a time, without mentioning it at all.

There is no reason to keep reminding you of what we already agree on. We are discussing what we seem to disagree on. The reason it goes on for weeks and weeks and months and months is because you keep emphasizing what we already agree on instead of discussing what we seem to disagree on.

Quote:
M: Death is the result of sin. Capital punishment is the penalty or wages of sin.

T: What EGW wrote is that had God *left* Satan to reap the result of his sin, he would have perished, but had God done so, this would have planted a seed of doubt in the angels because they did not understand that death is the inevitable result of sin. I don't see you can possibly disagree with this way of putting DA 764, as this is just what she says. Now this doesn't make any sense whatsoever if Satan dies because God kills him.

She said “some” not all. “Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love.” Only God could have “immediately blotted him out of existence”. You seem to think sin is what would have immediately blotted him out of existence. I disagree. “Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.” God, not sin, will exterminate sin and sinners.

Quote:
M: You can search this forum from the beginning and you’ll not find one post that supports your accusation. I believe Jesus “tasted” and consumed and conquered the second death experience beginning in Gethsemane and ending on Golgotha.

T: Sorry if I misrepresented you, but I recall you emphasizing many times that Jesus' death was very different than the death of the wicked.

It was in many ways very different, most notably, He didn’t die the second death – He tasted and conquered it! Then He died the first death.

Quote:
M: You know in your heart that I have affirmed these reasons. We agree these are important reasons why Jesus died. Our disagreement has to do with the legal aspect. BTW, I do not see this aspect as primary. None of the reasons are more important than the others. They are equally important.

T: You certainly gave the impression that the legal aspect is primary. This is what you speak of over 95% of the time.

I addressed this comment above.

Quote:
T: Ok, if this is what you say (even if your actions don't support this) I'll take you at your word, and represent it as a reason you believe Christ died, one among many, equally important as the others.

If you prefer I can remind you more often. But, as you know, discussions die out when agreement is reached. The reason certain ideas get over 95% of the attention is because it is being discussed. The brother of the prodigal son felt bummed out because the wayward son got 95% of the father’s attention. Jesus left the ninety and nine to search for the one lost sheep. That’s just the nature of the beast. Problems receive the majority of the attention. There’s nothing wrong with it. It doesn’t mean what’s right is less important.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110008
03/16/09 06:54 PM
03/16/09 06:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It's astounding to me that a Christian would think that Ellen White's words are clearer than Christ's. I can only imagine how she would have responded to such an idea.

Do you agree with me that Ellen spoke on behalf of Jesus?

Also, Tom, have pity on me and post passages that clearly explain why Jesus had to die.

I agree there are several places where the manner of His death is hidden in symbolic, cryptic, prophetic language, but these passages do not explain why He had to die.

I also understand that the Bible speaks of the benefits, the fruits of His death, but again these passages do not explain why He had to die. One could argue, I suppose, such passages imply why He had to die, and I would have to agree.

But my point is - It is not clearly explained in the Bible. It was simply taken for granted. Oral tradition preserved the knowledge and was written down from time to time since the passing of the apostles. Ellen also wrote about it.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110010
03/16/09 06:57 PM
03/16/09 06:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Jesus paid the price that we cannot pay.

T: Obviously we could not die the second death, which is the result of sin (or the penalty of the law). Christ, being God, was able to overcome death by His life.

The majority of humans born since A&E will pay the price Jesus paid when they suffer and die at the end of time. Unlike Jesus, of course, they will not survive draining the cup of woe. So, do you agree with me that the majority of mankind can and will die the second death? And, do you agree it will pay the price for the penalty of sinning?

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Mountain Man] #110020
03/16/09 08:04 PM
03/16/09 08:04 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, I know what I meant to say and what I didn’t mean to say. You can believe me or continue to believe whatever you want. I have changed my mind. Obviously I used words that made you think I meant something other than what I believe. So, disregard those words and listen to what I’m telling you now. I’m trying to use words that will help you understand what I believe.

MM, here's what you said:

Quote:
I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place....Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid. But this isn't to say it is illogical. I don't understand it, but I believe it because God said so.

This seems pretty clear. You said "logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid." Above that you said, "I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place."

Quote:
No, what she is said that the punishment for sin did not end with the execution of capital punishment.

That's what I said.

Quote:
So, the question remains unanswered - What is so symbiotic, so organic about capital punishment?

Capital punishment has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
You make it sound like the crime is what inflicts the punishment.

In the case of sin, it is. Waggoner expresses this nicely in "The Glad Tidings." In Chapter 3 I think. Something along the lines of the law is everywhere, so whenever a person sins, the curse is right there. I can't remember exactly.

Quote:
But Ellen says the penalty for sinning is punishment. She doesn’t say the punishment is the crime.

Ty Gibson puts it like this: "The punishment is organic to the sin itself" (or maybe he says inherent, something like that).

Ellen White expresses this same thought this way:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This can't be an arbitrarily caused punishment, because in this case she could not have spoken of God's *leaving* Satan to reap the full results of his sin. If God were *causing* those results, this could hardly be expressed as God's *leaving" Satan to those results.

Also her comments about a doubt of God's goodness coming about because it wouldn't have been apparent to the angels that Satan's death was the "inevitable result of sin."

If what you're suggesting were true, then death would not be the inevitable result of sin. If death is NOT the inevitable result of sin, then there's no way the angels could confuse God's actions.

I keep trying to explain this to you, but you've never gotten it. You don't have to agree with what I'm saying, but it would be nice if you understood the point. Perhaps I'm not explaining it clearly enough. I'll try some more.

If Satan dies because God kills him, then Satan does not die because of sin. If Satan does not die because of sin, then God's actions could not be confused with causing Satan's death. There would be nothing to confuse God's actions with, as God would be doing the very thing that EGW says the angels would have confused God as doing.

This doesn't seem clear either. Let me try another way. Let's assume for a moment that "leave Satan to suffer the full result of sin" means capital punishment. Then we would have Ellen White saying:

God did not have Satan killed immediately because had He done so, the angels would not have understood this is the inevitable result of sin.

What?! If God kills Satan, then death isn't the inevitable result of sin. There would be nothing to be confused over. The angels would think that God was killing Satan, as, indeed, He would be doing.

So your idea that this is speaking of capital punishment just doesn't make sense.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110021
03/16/09 08:20 PM
03/16/09 08:20 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: In regards to the moral influence of Jesus' death, this certainly isn't something you emphasize. If you mention it at all, it's only as a distant afterthought. You can go pages upon pages, weeks at a time, without mentioning it at all.

M:There is no reason to keep reminding you of what we already agree on. We are discussing what we seem to disagree on. The reason it goes on for weeks and weeks and months and months is because you keep emphasizing what we already agree on instead of discussing what we seem to disagree on.

Obviously we don't agree on this, MM. If you agreed with me, you would see that the penal ideas you have are superfluous, completely unnecessary.

If we understand that Jesus had to die in order for the truth to be made clear, and that making the truth clear solves the problems that needed to be solved, then there's no need to go looking for some additional reason.

I'm reminding of the following:

Quote:
If you should find it necessary to keep some potent poison at your house, where would you put it? Where the children could readily find it? Or on the highest shelf in the garage?

“You absolutely must not touch that poison,” you warn the children. “Don’t even go near that shelf. If you disobey me, you’ll be severely punished.”

Some time later you hear an ominous crash. You rush out to the garage, and there on the floor is your son, the broken bottle beside him.

What would you do to your dying child? He has disobeyed you. Would it occur to you even for a moment that he should be put to death for his sin? He’s dying already.

You know that the poison works quickly. You don’t have much time. Would you waste precious moments scolding him for his disobedience? Would you insist that he repent and tell you he’s sorry. Would forgiveness keep him from dying?

You run to fetch the antidote. But your son refuses to take it, and you sadly watch him die.

What caused his death? You loved him. You forgave him. You offered him the antidote. But he still died.

Friends don’t see sin as a legal problem. They see it as working like poison. And they understand the plan of salvation as God’s offer of the antidote.

But what if we refuse the antidote? What happens to those who turn down the offer of salvation? (http://www.pineknoll.org/graham/sof/chapter8.html)

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110023
03/16/09 08:53 PM
03/16/09 08:53 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: What EGW wrote is that had God *left* Satan to reap the result of his sin, he would have perished, but had God done so, this would have planted a seed of doubt in the angels because they did not understand that death is the inevitable result of sin. I don't see you can possibly disagree with this way of putting DA 764, as this is just what she says. Now this doesn't make any sense whatsoever if Satan dies because God kills him.

M:She said “some” not all. “Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love.” Only God could have “immediately blotted him out of existence”. You seem to think sin is what would have immediately blotted him out of existence. I disagree. “Then the extermination of sin will vindicate God's love and establish His honor before a universe of beings who delight to do His will, and in whose heart is His law.” God, not sin, will exterminate sin and sinners.

You completely ignored the point.

Quote:
T: You certainly gave the impression that the legal aspect is primary. This is what you speak of over 95% of the time.

M:I addressed this comment above.

I'm not the only one you discuss this with. Perhaps you're not aware of how much you emphasize this. Just a thought.

Quote:
T:It's astounding to me that a Christian would think that Ellen White's words are clearer than Christ's. I can only imagine how she would have responded to such an idea.

M:Do you agree with me that Ellen spoke on behalf of Jesus?

Even we speak on behalf of Christ. That doesn't mean our words are clearer than Christ. "Never a man spoke as He spoke."

Quote:
Also, Tom, have pity on me and post passages that clearly explain why Jesus had to die.

I don't this several times. John 3:1-something (23? or so) is one place that's been mentioned several times.

Quote:
I agree there are several places where the manner of His death is hidden in symbolic, cryptic, prophetic language, but these passages do not explain why He had to die.

Peter explains why in 1 Pet. 2:24, 25 as well as 1 Pet. 3:18. He's quoting from Isa. 53, which is another place. Isa. 53 is quoted in many places in the NT. You could try looking at the NASB online, go to Isa. 53, and see all the links there are to NT passages quoting it.

Quote:
I also understand that the Bible speaks of the benefits, the fruits of His death, but again these passages do not explain why He had to die.

He dies to make the fruits you speaks of come to fruition.

Quote:
One could argue, I suppose, such passages imply why He had to die, and I would have to agree.

Well done!

Quote:
But my point is - It is not clearly explained in the Bible.

When the Bible speaks of the benefits, is that clearly done?

Quote:
It was simply taken for granted. Oral tradition preserved the knowledge and was written down from time to time since the passing of the apostles. Ellen also wrote about it.

Please quote some inspired text which says this.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110024
03/16/09 09:05 PM
03/16/09 09:05 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The majority of humans born since A&E will pay the price Jesus paid when they suffer and die at the end of time.

Was Jesus' death like the death of the wicked? Or unlike it? If it was unlike it, how could the wicked be paying the same price Jesus paid?

Quote:
Unlike Jesus, of course, they will not survive draining the cup of woe. So, do you agree with me that the majority of mankind can and will die the second death? And, do you agree it will pay the price for the penalty of sinning?

No, not in your terms. I don't see it as an arbitrary thing which pays some price. I see their death as the inevitable result of sin. Sin is to death as the acorn is to the Oak tree. "Sin, when it is finished, brings forth death."

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110025
03/16/09 09:10 PM
03/16/09 09:10 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But, as you know, discussions die out when agreement is reached.

I thought this was an interesting observation. The internet is an odd beast. When I speak on the phone, I can talk about spiritual things for hours without any disagreement, but, on the internet, I'd have to agree with your observation.

Re: Does Scripture explain why Christ had to die? [Re: Tom] #110135
03/18/09 04:02 PM
03/18/09 04:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, I know what I meant to say and what I didn’t mean to say. You can believe me or continue to believe whatever you want. I have [not] changed my mind. Obviously I used words that made you think I meant something other than what I believe. So, disregard those words and listen to what I’m telling you now. I’m trying to use words that will help you understand what I believe.

T: MM, here's what you said:

Quote:
I've never said it is illogical; it's just that I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place....Logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid. But this isn't to say it is illogical. I don't understand it, but I believe it because God said so.

This seems pretty clear. You said "logic doesn't have anything to do with it. Love doesn't have to be logical to be valid." Above that you said, "I don't understand why it is valid. In human courts of law we do not allow death-row criminals to go free and execute an innocent person in their place."

What are you accusing me of? What do you think I believe?

Quote:
“What did God command Moses to do with those who were guilty of adultery? They should be stoned to death. Does the punishment end there? No, they are to die the second death. The stoning system has been done away, but the penalty for transgressing God's law is not done away. If the transgressor does not heartily repent, he will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. {TSB 131.3}

M: So, the question remains unanswered - What is so symbiotic, so organic about capital punishment?

T: Capital punishment has nothing to do with it.

What do you call stoning someone to death? The punishment for certain sins began with capital punishment. So, the question remains unanswered - What is so symbiotic, so organic about capital punishment?

Quote:
M: You make it sound like the crime is what inflicts the punishment.

T: In the case of sin, it is. Waggoner expresses this nicely in "The Glad Tidings." In Chapter 3 I think. Something along the lines of the law is everywhere, so whenever a person sins, the curse is right there. I can't remember exactly.

Thank you verifying this point.

Quote:
M: But Ellen says the penalty for sinning is punishment. She doesn’t say the punishment is the crime.

T: Ty Gibson puts it like this: "The punishment is organic to the sin itself" (or maybe he says inherent, something like that). Ellen White expresses this same thought this way:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This can't be an arbitrarily caused punishment, because in this case she could not have spoken of God's *leaving* Satan to reap the full results of his sin. If God were *causing* those results, this could hardly be expressed as God's *leaving" Satan to those results.

Also her comments about a doubt of God's goodness coming about because it wouldn't have been apparent to the angels that Satan's death was the "inevitable result of sin."

If what you're suggesting were true, then death would not be the inevitable result of sin. If death is NOT the inevitable result of sin, then there's no way the angels could confuse God's actions.

I keep trying to explain this to you, but you've never gotten it. You don't have to agree with what I'm saying, but it would be nice if you understood the point. Perhaps I'm not explaining it clearly enough. I'll try some more.

If Satan dies because God kills him, then Satan does not die because of sin. If Satan does not die because of sin, then God's actions could not be confused with causing Satan's death. There would be nothing to confuse God's actions with, as God would be doing the very thing that EGW says the angels would have confused God as doing.

This doesn't seem clear either. Let me try another way. Let's assume for a moment that "leave Satan to suffer the full result of sin" means capital punishment. Then we would have Ellen White saying:

God did not have Satan killed immediately because had He done so, the angels would not have understood this is the inevitable result of sin.

What?! If God kills Satan, then death isn't the inevitable result of sin. There would be nothing to be confused over. The angels would think that God was killing Satan, as, indeed, He would be doing.

So your idea that this is speaking of capital punishment just doesn't make sense.

Punishment and suffering and death are the inevitable results of sin – not just suffering and death. Had God punished the evil angels prematurely, the loyal angels would not have understood why it was the right and righteous thing for God to do. Again, capital punishment, the infliction of punishment by God, is the inevitable results of sin. The same is true of all governments. God’s government is no different.

I understand your view, Tom. I have for some time now. You believe God is preventing sinners from succumbing to the natural, unimpeded cause and consequence effects of sinning. You believe as soon as God stops doing this, sinners will immediately begin suffering emotionally and physically in proportion and in duration to their sinfulness and then die. You refer to this as God “punishing” them.

What you haven't made clear yet is the role God's glory plays in the final demise of sinners at the end of time. At times it seems like you're saying it is the glory of God reacting with sin that causes sinners to suffer and die. Then at other times it seems like you believe it is sin alone that causes them to suffer and die. Please explain this to me.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!