HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,973
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 28
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 3 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109395
03/04/09 07:26 PM
03/04/09 07:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, this is frustrating.

I agree! Common ground!

Quote:
You keep insisting you've repeatedly quoted from Pentateuch where Moses clearly explains why Jesus had to die and how the animal sacrifices symbolize His death, and yet in truth you have not posted one single passage from the Pentateuch.

The thing about the serpent in the wilderness is one thing, with the EGW comment supplied, explaining how Nicodemus wasn't understanding Jesus until he referred to it. Genesis 15 (quoted from Gal. 3) is another passage. I also explained to you how you could get your own passages by simply reading Paul in Romans, where I mentioned several chapters, and Galatians 3. Actually Paul's writings abound with these references. But if you don't think Paul is clear, what's the point?

Quote:
The only thing you posted that even remotely comes close it was when you quoted Paul quoting Moses. Here's what you gave as solid, indisputable, incontrovertible proof that Moses clearly explained both aspects of the title question - "In thee shall all nations be blessed."

This isn't all Paul quoted in Gal. 3. Read on! See if you can understand Paul's argument. That might help you to understand Moses.

Quote:
Tom, I am completely shocked and totally flabbergasted that you believe with all your heart, mind, body, and soul that this single sentence from Moses clearly explains beyond question why Jesus had to die and that animal sacrifices symbolize His death.

I'd suggest quoting something I actually wrote. I never said this!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109397
03/04/09 07:33 PM
03/04/09 07:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
What is the point? This thread is an offshoot of one that asks if we can obey God unslavishly if we do not know all the right reasons why.

All the reasons? No. None of the reasons. Let's get that straight!

In answer to my question, "What's the point?" your answer is that this thread is an offshoot of another one. So? What's the connection? Could you connect this up please?

My specific question regarding "What's the point?" is that if you don't believe Jesus Christ, or John, or Paul, or any other inspired person (except Ellen White) clearly explained Christ's death, you surely won't believe Moses did. So what's the point in discussing this?

Quote:
I assumed it was obvious to everyone that Moses did not record in the Pentateuch why Jesus had to die or that animal sacrifices symbolize His death.

Apparently it's only obvious to you! I know non-believers who would agree with you on this. I don't know any believers who would though.

Quote:
I assumed everyone realized such knowledge was based on oral tradition and taken for granted in the NT. But then you came along ranting and raving that Moses and many other inspired writers clearly explained both aspects in the Bible.

Ranting and raving! Are you having a bad hair day?

Quote:
But, lo, you have yet to post a single passage from Moses which fits the bill. Words are cheap. It's high time that you quote from the Pentateuch to prove your claims. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict you are never going to honor my request. Suit yourself.

I dealt with this in a previous post. I've got a question about your oral tradition idea. When do you think this originated?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #109469
03/06/09 03:27 PM
03/06/09 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you can end the frustration here by simply posting passages from the Pentateuch that clearly explain why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. Nothing Paul quoted fits the bill. Neither does the uplifted brazen serpent fit the bill. It requires oral tradition and intricate interpretation which does not fit the bill.

Perhaps you don't understand what I'm requesting of you. Pretend like all you have is the Pentateuch. Now, show me where it clearly explains why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death.

PS - Please understand that I believe oral tradition enables people to know why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death notwithstanding all the contradicting views that have evolved the correct view survived.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109470
03/06/09 03:40 PM
03/06/09 03:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
My specific question regarding "What's the point?" is that if you don't believe Jesus Christ, or John, or Paul, or any other inspired person (except Ellen White) clearly explained Christ's death, you surely won't believe Moses did. So what's the point in discussing this?

The point of this thread is the Pentateuch - not the rest of the Bible. Simply post the passages that you feel clearly explain why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. It should be clear to unbelievers as well as believers. If it requires circuitous thinking and elaborate round about methods to arrive at a "clear explanation" then clearly it is not clear. Or, if it depends entirely upon oral tradition in order to correctly decode the symbolism, inferences, and implications then again it is not clearly explained.

My point is that it obviously isn't clearly explained, but this isn't problem because oral tradition fills in the gaps and we end up with a clear explanation - but not so clear that it prevents confusing and contradicting views, as you pointed out earlier. However, I disagree with you that the SOP can be twisted to support contradicting views.

I've got a question about your oral tradition idea. When do you think this originated?

In the Garden of Eden. A&E received it from God and passed it on. It continues to be passed on to this day. But oral tradition experienced an upgrade when God inspired Ellen to write it down.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109474
03/06/09 04:24 PM
03/06/09 04:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Tom, you can end the frustration here by simply posting passages from the Pentateuch that clearly explain why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. Nothing Paul quoted fits the bill. Neither does the uplifted brazen serpent fit the bill. It requires oral tradition and intricate interpretation which does not fit the bill.

The explanation which Christ gave to Nicodemus could hardly be termed "intricate interpretation." Jesus said a few words to Nicodemus, and Nicodemus understood Him. So the uplifted snake was clear to him, hence Moses' explanation of Christ's death was clear to him.

Quote:
Perhaps you don't understand what I'm requesting of you. Pretend like all you have is the Pentateuch. Now, show me where it clearly explains why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death.

The uplifted serpent is one place.

I think you're not understanding the point about Paul. Paul's arguments are all sound on their own merit. You can take away the fact that they written by Paul and simply apply them. So all of the texts which Paul quoted from Moses to establish the meaning of Christ's death "fit the bill." This is precisely what Paul was doing: explaining the meaning of Christ's death by quoting from the OT, especially Moses. I've suggested several chapters that would be especially good for doing this, including Romans 4 and Gal. 3.

Let's go back to Nicodemus for a moment. You agree that Nicodemus understood Jesus' explanation, don't you? That once Jesus explained things to him, he understood Jesus' death? Or do you disagree with this?

Quote:
PS - Please understand that I believe oral tradition enables people to know why Jesus had to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death notwithstanding all the contradicting views that have evolved the correct view survived.

When something is communicated from one person to another, there is a whole basis of communication which is assumed, involving one's language and culture. For example, when you write, "It's cool with me" you're assuming that I'll understand what you mean, because I share the same language and culture you do.

So any communication assumes commonality between the sender of the message and its receiver. Now you're saying that because of Oral Tradition, the readers of the Pentateuch could understand the meaning of the sacrifices and know why Jesus Christ had to die. This forms a basis of commonality of culture and language between Moses and his readers. Thus Moses' writing constitute a clear explanation of Christ's death.

The fact that *you* come at things with a different language and culture does not mean *Moses* was unclear. It just points to an ignorance you have.

Now when Ellen White explains things, you say she's clear. Why? Because she shares a language and culture with you, so you understand her words more easily. But this doesn't mean she's any clearer than Moses was. It just means you and she share a language and culture.

Now suppose we go forward in time 500 years, and Christ hasn't come (just for the same of explaining this concept). Cultures have changed a lot in 500 years, and so has English. God raises a new prophet who writes in Chinese. A Chinese person, thinking like you do, could claim that no prophet except for this one ever explained Jesus' death clearly, simply because he didn't share a common language and culture. Ellen White's writings would be no clearer to him than the Bible.

If it were indeed a fact that Ellen White is the only one who explains Christ's death clearly, then it should be the case that those who read her writings would have a view of Christ's death that others do not have. But this isn't the case.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #109476
03/06/09 04:36 PM
03/06/09 04:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:My specific question regarding "What's the point?" is that if you don't believe Jesus Christ, or John, or Paul, or any other inspired person (except Ellen White) clearly explained Christ's death, you surely won't believe Moses did. So what's the point in discussing this?

M:The point of this thread is the Pentateuch - not the rest of the Bible.

This doesn't answer my question. If you don't think Jesus Christ or Paul explained things clearly, how could you think Moses did? This doesn't make sense to me. Do you think this makes sense? If so, why?

Quote:
T:I've got a question about your oral tradition idea. When do you think this originated?

M:In the Garden of Eden. A&E received it from God and passed it on. It continues to be passed on to this day. But oral tradition experienced an upgrade when God inspired Ellen to write it down.

But not when Jesus Christ spoke of it? So we have:

a)Oral tradition, written down by Moses. No upgrade.
b)Oral tradition, explained by Jesus Christ. No upgrade.
c)Oral tradition, explained by Paul. No upgrade.
d)Oral tradition, written down by Ellen white. Upgrade.

This is what you think?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #109546
03/07/09 11:01 PM
03/07/09 11:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

T: The uplifted serpent is one place.

Okay, let's go with this example. Here's what Moses wrote:

Quote:
21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for [there is] no bread, neither [is there any] water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
21:7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Now, in keeping with my suggestion (articulated above), please pretend like I'm an Egyptian who is showing an interest in the God of Israel. I've just witnessed the whole fiery serpent look and live episode play out. Pretend you're a Jew and all you have is the Pentateuch up to and including the written account above to clearly explain why Jesus will have to die and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. What would you say?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109553
03/08/09 12:16 AM
03/08/09 12:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I would say something along the lines of that which follows, which is from PP 430:

The people well knew that there was no power in the serpent of brass to cause such a change in those who looked upon it. The healing virtue was from God alone. In His wisdom He chose this way of displaying His power. By this simple means the people were made to realize that this affliction had been brought upon them by their sins. They were also assured that while obeying God they had no reason to fear, for He would preserve them.

The lifting up of the brazen serpent was to teach Israel an important lesson. They could not save themselves from the fatal effect of the poison in their wounds. God alone was able to heal them. Yet they were required to show their faith in the provision which He had made. They must look in order to live. It was their faith that was acceptable with God, and by looking upon the serpent their faith was shown. They knew that there was no virtue in the serpent itself, but it was a symbol of Christ; and the necessity of faith in His merits was thus presented to their minds. Heretofore many had brought their offerings to God, and had felt that in so doing they made ample atonement for their sins. They did not rely upon the Redeemer to come, of whom these offerings were only a type. The Lord would now teach them that their sacrifices, in themselves, had no more power or virtue than the serpent of brass, but were, like that, to lead their minds to Christ, the great sin offering.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #109603
03/09/09 12:47 AM
03/09/09 12:47 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Great answer. Now, please prove these points from the Pentateuch itself. Where in the Pentateuch is this explanation recorded?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #109607
03/09/09 01:30 AM
03/09/09 01:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
See post #109474, especially the last part.

It's not necessary that Moses recorded something that you understand without explanation, but that those who read him would. (i.e., his immediate audience). That this happened in evident in the case of Nicodemus because when Jesus spoke of his being lifted up like the serpent, Nicodemus got it.

I'm not suggesting someone like yourself could understand Moses without doing some study. Post #109474 discusses how culture enters into communication.

Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by dedication. 09/18/24 12:45 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!