HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,216
Posts195,933
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 22
kland 17
asygo 4
Daryl 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 3 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 50 of 55 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109704
03/11/09 04:30 AM
03/11/09 04:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
bump for me.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109709
03/11/09 12:54 PM
03/11/09 12:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
This blacklist of sins is compiled from Mark, Romans, and Galatians. Do you think Jesus or Paul imagined a born again believe ignorantly practicing one of these sins?

It's hard to answer a question like this, because you're coming at this from an angle the authors weren't writing from. That is, you're trying to retrofit back a question that they weren't addressing, so it doesn't work well. They were giving a description of those who are not born again. The idea wasn't if a person did such and such, then he wasn't born again, but that these are the characteristics of people who aren't converted. Do you see the difference?

Also, the idea of the authors, it seems clear to me, was specifically of sins which were done intentionally. So while some sin may be possible to do ignorantly, but such a person sinning ignorantly wouldn't be being considered by the author, so the question is moot, or, better, ill-conceived.

I think this answers all the questions about the list.

Quote:
M:And, yes, I am saying what Jesus clearly taught about it wasn’t clearly recorded in the Bible. It was taken for granted.

T: Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense. You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

M:Yes, I see a problem with it. And, I disagree with it. I believe the oral tradition has written down here and there since the death of Jesus (can’t name anyone off the top of my head). Ellen also wrote it down.

Ok, let me ask the question this way.

Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense. You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained by an inspired author until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

Quote:
It’s another example of an important truth that was taken for granted. And, I disagree with you regarding the angels being confused or not secure before the cross.

I think you're confused about what I'm saying! I didn't write the angels were "confused" or "not secure" in an unqualified by, but qualified what I said. For you to take what I carefully qualified, and then write that down in an unqualified way is as best sloppy. Please be more careful! (unless you're genuinely confused).

If you're genuinely confused, I'll try to clarify what I'm saying (although I've said this so many times, I would have thought it would be clear by now).

Quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 758)

So when I say there were "certain elements they were confused about" this is specifically what I have in mind. I don't think the way I wrote this is unfair. If holy beings had "not understood his principles," if they had "not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion," then there were certain elements they were confused about.

Regarding eternal security, the SOP tells us that before the cross the universe was not eternally secure. Do you disagree with this? For example:

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. (DA 764)

Quote:
Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified. The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union.(DA 26)

Quote:
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven (BTS December 1, 1907)

So from these quotes we see that the cross effected security, even for angels. They are "not secure" (<= please note) *except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God.*

Quote:
Yes, people are born with a yearning to worship God, but they do not know instinctively about the one true God. They have to learn about Him through Bible study and prayer. We both agree the Sabbath is unique.

Romans 1 tells us:

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

What does it say is condemned here? "All the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness." This is all inclusive, isn't it? It's not condemning some of the godlessness and wickedness of men, but all of it. Why? Because God has revealed Himself to all men, revealing not only Himself, but something of His character, for example, that He is the Creator, and that they should give thanks and glory to Him, as the next verse makes clear:

Quote:
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Quote:
T: You're contradicting yourself. If a person knows instinctively that any violation of the last six commandments is wrong, they can't be living in sin ignorantly.

M: They can in relation to the fourth commandment.

T: I'm pointing out a contradiction you hold in relation to the seventh commandment. You claim on the one hand that none of the last 6 commandments can be broken ignorantly. But then you say people can ignorantly live in sin. That's a contradiction.

M:Yes, it is a contradiction, but one I do not believe.

Yes it is, unless you didn't mean what you said. You said people can live ignorantly in sin. This is just what you said. Do you disagree with what you said earlier? Perhaps so, since you're now saying they cannot live together without a sense of shame.

Quote:
Ellen wrote, “The first step in reconciliation to God is the conviction of sin. . . The sinner must be made to feel that he is a transgressor.” In response to this I wrote, “This revelation can result in rebirth.” Notice I didn’t will result in rebirth. Neither can you say, “It’s a knowledge of God's love and character that results in rebirth.”

It's not the revelation of sin that can result in rebirth, but the revelation of God's character.

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. (DA 175)

The "light shining from the cross" is the key.

Quote:
1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

I believe the only real difference between these two groups has to do with those doctrines that are unique to the SDA church, namely, diet and health and dress reform. Of course, in some cases, Sabbath-keeping, hellfire, the state of the dead, and the investigative judgment are other notable differences. The sinful habits related to ignorance of these doctrines are practiced until the truth is learned.

We've spoken about this. I've said I disagreed, and that I think you have a superficial view of what constitutes sin, because you think it's something which can be covered by the SDA fundamental beliefs. By the way, these beliefs have changed over time. Also, the SOP tells us not all of what we believe is necessarily without error.

Quote:
There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation.

I'm mentioning this because if you're basing your idea of what it means to sin on the basis of our fundamental beliefs, that's shaky ground.

Quote:
I do not believe anyone in either group can be ignorant of the 45 blacklisted sins named above (this is based on the assumption that everybody in both groups have experienced rebirth in God’s appointed way). Do you agree?

I thought you said drinking and smoking were included on the list. Is this not right?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109710
03/11/09 12:59 PM
03/11/09 12:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T: I didn't say this, of course. I said your idea that God can reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once is based on a superficial view of sin.

M:1. Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on whether or not they have learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?

Not as you express things, no. (because of your equating "everything Jesus commanded" with a list of denominational doctrinal beliefs).

Quote:
2. Do you agree with me that God does not “reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once”?

I don't understand why you're asking this. Have you not been reading what I've been writing the last 5 years or more, over hundreds of posts with you?

Quote:
3. Do you agree with me that “seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin”?

This question is a bit difficult to parse. It doesn't look to be something I've been addressing. Here's what I would say. The cross reveals to people their sin. However, people continue to learn more and more about the sinfulness of sin as their knowledge of the cross progresses.

(More later)

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109721
03/11/09 04:12 PM
03/11/09 04:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Do you think a person can sin in the “more subtle matters of the heart” without breaking the law of God?

I think a person can do this ignorantly.

Quote:
Also, do you think the blacklisted sins named in the passages posted above exclude the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

Please refer to my earlier comments about this list.

Quote:
Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? And, what constitutes a “more subtle” sin?

Things like drinking, going to XXX movies would be on the very gross side. Sins of behavior, in general, would fall on the grosser side. Sins of thought, involving judging others, for example, would be subtler.

Quote:
T: For the reason I pointed out. It's common sense that a person can't give up a sin of which he is not aware. How could one think otherwise?

M:Again, you are assuming that they continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, that they not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Weren't we talking about people being converted?

Quote:
Or, do you believe people in the second group (described above) also ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth? Please elaborate.

I couldn't find the second group. I think the definition you have in mind involves knowing the SDA doctrines (although you use the phrase "keeping all things which Jesus commanded," which is not what I think this phrase has in mind). Given that this is what it means, yes, I think they are also ignorantly practicing unknown sins (sorry for the extra redundancy there).

Quote:
"The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

If I take this at face value there is no reason for me to assume she obviously means they will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing the miracle of rebirth. So, no, I don’t think it is obvious she intended for us to assume that’s what she meant. I am certain of this.

Doesn't this bring back the question of Luther, whom you agreed should not be included here? Or did I misunderstand you.

Quote:
For me to read "something more into what she wrote than she intended" (your words) I would have to change the wording. For example, to make it reflect what you're suggesting I would have to change it to read like this:

Some of the sins that were practiced before conversion, will be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." The sins they continue to ignorantly practice after they are reborn will be gradually revealed to them. As their sins of ignorance are revealed, they will confess and crucify them. Eventually they will reach the point where they are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Do you agree this would be "reading something more into what she wrote than she intended"?

No, not in the least. I think her wording is fine. I think anyone applying a little common sense would realize she didn't have in mind sins of which one is unaware, or else we'd have to come to the conclusion that people like Luther and William Miller weren't converted.

Quote:
Yes. Luther will be in heaven. Again, both groups of believers will be in heaven. But Ellen wasn’t describing both groups in SD 300. She was describing the second group.

Do you agree?

Wasn't this from Steps to Christ? This wasn't a book for SDA's. She couldn't have had your second group in mind, even using your definition of "all things which Jesus commanded" as "doctrines of the SDA church."

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109794
03/13/09 04:51 PM
03/13/09 04:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: BTW, do you think smoking and drinking are excluded in the lists above?

T: I was thinking they could be seen as a part of the list, which is why I mentioned them.

Of the 45 sins blacklisted above where do you see smoking and drinking fitting in?

Quote:
M: But what about Luther’s more offensive sins of ignorance? Why do you think God overlooked them? I am assuming some of his sins of ignorance were more offensive. Do you know of any that were?

T: Luther appeared in some ways to be obstinate and have an unchariable view of some. However it is the very traits, which we might characterize as defects, which are the other side the coin which made Luther such a force for good. So I wouldn't dare criticize him as I believe he was greatly used by God.

Do you view his obstinacy as one of his more offensive sins? And, do you view his uncharitable views of some as one of his more offensive sins? Also, do you think his drinking was one of the 45 sins blacklisted above? If so, which one?

Quote:
M: I’m having a hard time reconciling your interpretation in light of the following plainly worded statements: “They which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God . . . They which commit such things are worthy of death.”

T: Just read in the word "deliberately." People who ignorantly sin won't be judged for such, unless they take purposeful actions to be ignorant. It seems to me this is the same thing you're saying.

I’m not comfortable adding to the word of God. Do you know of an inspired passage that inserts the words like “deliberately” in contexts like this, that is, a context in which specific sins are said to make people worthy of death and ineligible to inherit the kingdom of God?

Quote:
M: Also, do you think born again believers can do such things without realizing they are sinning and still have the type of mind and character that would enable them to enjoy heaven? If so, please name one of the blacklisted sins as example.

T: Given smoking and drinking are not excluded from the list, I'll name those.

Of the 45 sins blacklisted above which ones are smoking and drinking?

Quote:
M: Before people embark upon the process of conversion they are instinctively aware of what is morally right and wrong as defined by the last six commandments (or, according to you, as defined by all ten commandments). But after they embark upon the process of conversion they see their sins for the time in light of the cross. This makes a huge difference. Do you agree?

T: There's no need to limit this to the last six commandments. I don't know why you make a distinction between the first four commandments and the last six in this regard. Especially the first. People know there is a God, and it is wrong to have other Gods before Him. Even cultures which are polytheistic have a concept of a God above the other gods.

M: You’ll notice that I included your view above.

T: I agree in the process of conversion people see their sins in the light of the cross, and this is something they would not have done before conversion.

Do you agree with me that seeing their sins for the first time in light of the cross makes a huge difference in how they view their sins? If so, what do think accounts for it?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109797
03/13/09 05:03 PM
03/13/09 05:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. evil thoughts,
2. adulteries,
3. fornications,
4. murders,
5. Thefts,
6. covetousness,
7. wickedness,
8. deceit,
9. lasciviousness,
10. an evil eye,
11. blasphemy,
12. pride,
13. foolishness:
14. a reprobate mind,
15. things which are not convenient;
16. Being filled with all unrighteousness,
17. maliciousness;
18. full of envy,
19. debate,
20. deceit,
21. malignity;
22. whisperers,
23. Backbiters,
24. haters of God,
25. despiteful,
26. boasters,
27. inventors of evil things,
28. disobedient to parents,
29. covenantbreakers,
30. without natural affection,
31. implacable,
32. unmerciful:
33. have pleasure in them that do them.
34. uncleanness,
35. Idolatry,
36. witchcraft,
37. hatred,
38. variance,
39. emulations,
40. wrath,
41. strife,
42. seditions,
43. heresies,
44. drunkenness,
45. revellings,

M: This blacklist of sins is compiled from Mark, Romans, and Galatians. Do you think Jesus or Paul imagined a born again believe ignorantly practicing one of these sins?

T: It's hard to answer a question like this, because you're coming at this from an angle the authors weren't writing from. That is, you're trying to retrofit back a question that they weren't addressing, so it doesn't work well. They were giving a description of those who are not born again. The idea wasn't if a person did such and such, then he wasn't born again, but that these are the characteristics of people who aren't converted. Do you see the difference?

Also, the idea of the authors, it seems clear to me, was specifically of sins which were done intentionally. So while some sin may be possible to do ignorantly, but such a person sinning ignorantly wouldn't be being considered by the author, so the question is moot, or, better, ill-conceived. I think this answers all the questions about the list.

I hear you saying some of the sins blacklisted above can indeed be ignorantly practiced by certain born again believers, and that this is inherently implied by Jesus and Paul. If so, then please post the passages where this idea is clearly explained in the Bible or the SOP.

Also, which sins blacklisted above do you believe born again believers can practice without realizing they are sinning?

Quote:
M: And, yes, I am saying what Jesus clearly taught about it wasn’t clearly recorded in the Bible. It was taken for granted.

T: Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense. You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

M: Yes, I see a problem with it. And, I disagree with it. I believe the oral tradition was written down here and there since the death of Jesus (can’t name anyone off the top of my head). Ellen also wrote it down.

T: Ok, let me ask the question this way. Why would the death of Christ be taken for granted? That makes no sense. You're saying the death of Christ was taken for granted for almost 2,000 years, never clearly explained by an inspired author until Ellen White. You don't see the problem with this?

I believe the oral tradition regarding why Jesus had to die was written down here and there since the death of Jesus (can’t name anyone off the top of my head). Ellen also wrote it down.

Quote:
M: [The Sabbath is] another example of an important truth that was taken for granted.

You seemed to have overlooked this point.

Quote:
M: And, I disagree with you regarding the angels being confused or not secure before the cross.

T: I think you're confused about what I'm saying! I didn't write the angels were "confused" or "not secure" in an unqualified by, but qualified what I said. For you to take what I carefully qualified, and then write that down in an unqualified way is as best sloppy. Please be more careful! (unless you're genuinely confused). If you're genuinely confused, I'll try to clarify what I'm saying (although I've said this so many times, I would have thought it would be clear by now).

Quote:
To the angels and the unfallen worlds the cry, "It is finished," had a deep significance. It was for them as well as for us that the great work of redemption had been accomplished. They with us share the fruits of Christ's victory.

Not until the death of Christ was the character of Satan clearly revealed to the angels or to the unfallen worlds. The archapostate had so clothed himself with deception that even holy beings had not understood his principles. They had not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion. (DA 758)

So when I say there were "certain elements they were confused about" this is specifically what I have in mind. I don't think the way I wrote this is unfair. If holy beings had "not understood his principles," if they had "not clearly seen the nature of his rebellion," then there were certain elements they were confused about.

Yes, I know. I agree the angels didn’t understand all the reasons why Satan’s side of the GC are wrong. But by faith they were/are perfectly happy believing he is wrong on all accounts. They have been ready since A&E sinned in Eden to wipe out the evil angels. No doubts, no questions, no regrets!

Quote:
T: Regarding eternal security, the SOP tells us that before the cross the universe was not eternally secure. Do you disagree with this? For example:

Quote:
Well, then, might the angels rejoice as they looked upon the Saviour's cross; for though they did not then understand all, they knew that the destruction of sin and Satan was forever made certain, that the redemption of man was assured, and that the universe was made eternally secure. (DA 764)

Through Christ's redeeming work the government of God stands justified. The Omnipotent One is made known as the God of love. Satan's charges are refuted, and his character unveiled. Rebellion can never again arise. Sin can never again enter the universe. Through eternal ages all are secure from apostasy. By love's self-sacrifice, the inhabitants of earth and heaven are bound to their Creator in bonds of indissoluble union.(DA 26)

The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven (BTS December 1, 1907)

So from these quotes we see that the cross effected security, even for angels. They are "not secure" (<= please note) *except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God.*

I disagree with your idea that the loyal angels were somehow, someway, not secure until AD 31. They were/are 100% certain that God is good and forever worthy of praise. They have never doubted it. They have always been secure in their love and adoration and trust of God. They also know eternity is safeguarded against another rebellion because by faith they believe redeemed humans will never choose to sin. This faith will be confirmed during the 7 last plagues and Jacob’s time of trouble.

Quote:
M: Yes, people are born with a yearning to worship God, but they do not know instinctively about the one true God. They have to learn about Him through Bible study and prayer. We both agree the Sabbath is unique.

T: Romans 1 tells us:

Quote:
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

T: What does it say is condemned here? "All the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness." This is all inclusive, isn't it? It's not condemning some of the godlessness and wickedness of men, but all of it. Why? Because God has revealed Himself to all men, revealing not only Himself, but something of His character, for example, that He is the Creator, and that they should give thanks and glory to Him, as the next verse makes clear:

Quote:
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

No, I do not agree with you that Paul was addressing every human being born on this planet. He was talking about people who once understood the truth about God and then turned their back on Him. He was definitely not talking about “heathens” or “savages” who have never heard name of God.

Quote:
T: You're contradicting yourself. If a person knows instinctively that any violation of the last six commandments is wrong, they can't be living in sin ignorantly.

M: They can in relation to the fourth commandment.

T: I'm pointing out a contradiction you hold in relation to the seventh commandment. You claim on the one hand that none of the last 6 commandments can be broken ignorantly. But then you say people can ignorantly live in sin. That's a contradiction.

M: Yes, it is a contradiction, but one I do not believe.

T: Yes it is, unless you didn't mean what you said. You said people can live ignorantly in sin. This is just what you said. Do you disagree with what you said earlier? Perhaps so, since you're now saying they cannot live together without a sense of shame.

People can sin in ignorance, but only in relation to the first four commandments. I have never said two people can live in sin (i.e. living and sleeping together unlawfully) without feeling uncomfortable about it. Yes, they can harden their heart and not feel shame.

Quote:
M: Ellen wrote, “The first step in reconciliation to God is the conviction of sin. . . The sinner must be made to feel that he is a transgressor.” In response to this I wrote, “This revelation can result in rebirth.” Notice I didn’t will result in rebirth. Neither can you say, “It’s a knowledge of God's love and character that results in rebirth.”

T: It's not the revelation of sin that can result in rebirth, but the revelation of God's character.

“The first step in reconciliation to God is the conviction of sin. . . The sinner must be made to feel that he is a transgressor.” You cannot bypass the first step and hope to experience genuine rebirth. Nevertheless, one cannot experience rebirth without embracing the love of God. Both are necessary. Both happen at the cross.

Quote:
1. Born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, who have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

2. Born again believers who are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded, who are imitating His sinless example.

M: I believe the only real difference between these two groups has to do with those doctrines that are unique to the SDA church, namely, diet and health and dress reform. Of course, in some cases, Sabbath-keeping, hellfire, the state of the dead, and the investigative judgment are other notable differences. The sinful habits related to ignorance of these doctrines are practiced until the truth is learned.

T: We've spoken about this. I've said I disagreed, and that I think you have a superficial view of what constitutes sin, because you think it's something which can be covered by the SDA fundamental beliefs. By the way, these beliefs have changed over time. Also, the SOP tells us not all of what we believe is necessarily without error.

Quote:
There is no excuse for anyone in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation.

I'm mentioning this because if you're basing your idea of what it means to sin on the basis of our fundamental beliefs, that's shaky ground.

Do you *suspect* one or more of our fundamental beliefs are in error and are the source of SDAs sinning ignorantly? Also, do you think certain subtle sins are overlooked by our fundamental beliefs? If so, please name them. Thank you.

Quote:
M: I do not believe anyone in either group can be ignorant of the 45 blacklisted sins named above (this is based on the assumption that everybody in both groups have experienced rebirth in God’s appointed way). Do you agree?

T: I thought you said drinking and smoking were included on the list. Is this not right?

Do you think smoking and drinking are included on the blacklisted sins named above? And, do you think this proves neither Paul nor Jesus meant born again believers cannot ignorantly practice some of the sins they blacklisted, that indeed it can and does happen?

Personally, I believe they meant precisely what they said, namely, that anyone who practices the sins they blacklisted will not be admitted to heaven. So, yes, I do not believe smoking and drinking are included or any other sin believers can commit in ignorance. None of the sins blacklisted above can be ignorantly committed by believers in either one of the two groups I described above.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109800
03/13/09 07:02 PM
03/13/09 07:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA

M: Whether or not a person is in the first or second classification I named above depends on whether or not they have learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?

T: Not as you express things, no. (because of your equating "everything Jesus commanded" with a list of denominational doctrinal beliefs).

You seem to be suggesting that SDAs who are living in perfect harmony with our fundamental beliefs come short of the glory of God. In what way?

Quote:
M: Do you agree with me that God does not “reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once”?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this. Have you not been reading what I've been writing the last 5 years or more, over hundreds of posts with you?

Is this a cryptic way of saying, Yes, you agree with me?

Quote:
M: Do you agree with me that “seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross does not leave them with a shallow view of the sinfulness of sin”?

T: This question is a bit difficult to parse. It doesn't look to be something I've been addressing. Here's what I would say. The cross reveals to people their sin. However, people continue to learn more and more about the sinfulness of sin as their knowledge of the cross progresses.

Do you think seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross for the first time is shallow compared to what they will know about it 5 years later? Here’s a description of someone seeing their sins in light of the cross for first time:

Quote:
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

This is the experience I’m talking about. Does this sound shallow to you?

Quote:
T: You only speak of breaking rules. Sin involves more than this. It involves matters of the heart, more subtle things.

M: Do you think a person can sin in the “more subtle matters of the heart” without breaking the law of God?

T: I think a person can do this ignorantly.

Please provide an illustration. For example, finish the following story in a way that reflects how you see it playing out, how you see someone committing a subtle sin of the heart without realizing it.

“Jim entered the office and was surprised when everyone broke out singing, For he’s a jolly good fellow. His heart was …. This is an example of a subtle sin of the heart.”

Quote:
M: Also, do you think the blacklisted sins named in the passages posted above exclude the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

T: Please refer to my earlier comments about this list.

Quote:
They [Jesus and Paul] were giving a description of those who are not born again. The idea wasn't if a person did such and such, then he wasn't born again, but that these are the characteristics of people who aren't converted. Do you see the difference?

Also, the idea of the authors, it seems clear to me, was specifically of sins which were done intentionally. So while some sin may be possible to do ignorantly, but such a person sinning ignorantly wouldn't be being considered by the author, so the question is moot, or, better, ill-conceived.

Your comment does not address my question. I understand that you believe the list merely identifies some of the sins unconverted people commit intentionally. Nevertheless, does the list include the sins involving the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

Quote:
T: First a person is born again, and learns of the grosser sins. As a person progresses, the Lord brings up more subtle things.

M: Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? And, what constitutes a “more subtle” sin?

T: Things like drinking, going to XXX movies would be on the very gross side. Sins of behavior, in general, would fall on the grosser side. Sins of thought, involving judging others, for example, would be subtler.

Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? Also, at what point do you think believers cease to sin in thought?

Quote:
1 Corinthians
10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

1. When do you think “obedience is fulfilled”?
2. When do you think “bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” happens?

Quote:
T: Are you aware of any sin in your life MM? Are there any things you perceive you need to work on? If not, that's not a good sign!

Oh yes, I am very aware of my weakness and imperfections. Do you think being aware of ones weaknesses and imperfections means they are guilty of sinning? Also, what do you mean by, “Are you aware of any sin in your life”? Are you asking if I am willfully cultivating a particular sinful habit? Or, are you asking if I am willfully indulging some subtle form of selfishness like pride of opinion?

Let me say this - “Whosever abideth in him sinneth not.” When I am actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus, the Bible says that I am pure “even as he is pure,” that I am “righteous even as He is righteous”. It also says, “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” It goes on to say, “We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.”

Do these descriptions of believers abiding in Jesus obviously imply that they are ignorantly practicing some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth? I don’t think so. Do you?

Quote:
M: I didn’t clarify in the description above but both groups would be admitted to heaven if they died. Only the second group can be translated alive.

Do you agree?

Quote:
M: The question is - Why do you insist she had this class of believers in mind when she wrote, "The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3} How do you know she wasn't referring to the other class of believers?

T: For the reason I pointed out. It's common sense that a person can't give up a sin of which he is not aware. How could one think otherwise?

M: Again, you are assuming that they continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, that they have not yet learned how to live in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

T: Weren't we talking about people being converted?

We’re talking about the people described in SD 300. Do you think she is talking about believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth? Or, do you agree with me that she is saying all of them must be confessed and crucified when they experience rebirth?

Quote:
M: Or, do you believe people in the second group (described above) also ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth? Please elaborate.

T: I couldn't find the second group. I think the definition you have in mind involves knowing the SDA doctrines (although you use the phrase "keeping all things which Jesus commanded," which is not what I think this phrase has in mind). Given that this is what it means, yes, I think they are also ignorantly practicing unknown sins (sorry for the extra redundancy there).

Here are the two groups:

Quote:

“I think they are also ignorantly practicing unknown sins.” I hear you saying, yes, the second group ignorantly practices some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. If so, please name a sin someone who is imitating Jesus’ sinless example can commit without realizing they are sinning.

Quote:
"The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

M: If I take this at face value there is no reason for me to assume she obviously means they will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to experiencing the miracle of rebirth. So, no, I don’t think it is obvious she intended for us to assume that’s what she meant. I am certain of this.

T: Doesn't this bring back the question of Luther, whom you agreed should not be included here? Or did I misunderstand you.

Luther is not included in the group of believers she describes in SD 300. This is not to say Luther is, therefore, lost. Do you agree? If so, then please post a passage where she is obviously describing born again believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth. By “obviously” I mean a passage that does not require the fanciful art of logical deduction based on implied inferences.

Quote:
M: For me to read "something more into what she wrote than she intended" (your words) I would have to change the wording. For example, to make [SD 300] reflect what you're suggesting I would have to change it to read like this:

Some of the sins that were practiced before conversion, will be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." The sins they continue to ignorantly practice after they are reborn will be gradually revealed to them. As their sins of ignorance are revealed, they will confess and crucify them. Eventually they will reach the point where they are living in perfect harmony with everything Jesus commanded.

Do you agree this would be "reading something more into what she wrote than she intended"?

T: No, not in the least. I think her wording is fine. I think anyone applying a little common sense would realize she didn't have in mind sins of which one is unaware, or else we'd have to come to the conclusion that people like Luther and William Miller weren't converted.

Not necessarily. Since the passage does not say what you believe it implies, it is more logical, in my mind, to take SD 300 at face value and conclude she was describing a specific group of believers, which happens to exclude believers like Luther who were born again ignorantly practicing some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. The onus is upon you to post a passage that describes believers like Luther, a passage that does not require the fanciful art of logical deduction based on implied inferences.

Quote:
T: The only alternative would be that Luther's not in heaven, wouldn't it be? What's wrong with logic deduction?

EGW: God wants us all to have common sense, and He wants us to reason from common sense. (3SM 217)

T: What's wrong with following this advice?

M: There is the other alternative you haven't thought of yet, namely, that she wasn't describing someone like Luther, that she was instead describing someone like Peter, Paul, James, and John. Such a view doesn't require higher education or the use of fanciful deduction.

T: But I'm asking about Luther. So this isn't an alternative. Will Luther be in heaven or not? That's a simple enough question.

M: Yes. Luther will be in heaven. Again, both groups of believers [named above] will be in heaven. But Ellen wasn’t describing both groups in SD 300. She was describing the second group. Do you agree?

T: Wasn't this from Steps to Christ? This wasn't a book for SDA's. She couldn't have had your second group in mind, even using your definition of "all things which Jesus commanded" as "doctrines of the SDA church."

No, we’re discussing SD 300.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109801
03/13/09 08:13 PM
03/13/09 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
You seem to be suggesting that SDAs who are living in perfect harmony with our fundamental beliefs come short of the glory of God. In what way?

The fundamental beliefs are doctrines. A person can agree to believe and do certain things without even being converted. The Pharisees are examples of this.

Quote:
M: Do you agree with me that God does not “reveal all the sinful habits a person has at once”?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this. Have you not been reading what I've been writing the last 5 years or more, over hundreds of posts with you?

M:Is this a cryptic way of saying, Yes, you agree with me?

It's more like a straight-forward way of questioning why you're asking this. You're asking me if I'm agreeing with something I've asserted dozens of times over a number of years. Why?

Quote:
Do you think seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross for the first time is shallow compared to what they will know about it 5 years later?

It's shallower. Presumably one would learn something in 5 years.

Quote:
This is the experience I’m talking about. Does this sound shallow to you?

I never said anything about the experience being shallow. Why are you asking this?

Quote:
We’re talking about the people described in SD 300. Do you think she is talking about believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth? Or, do you agree with me that she is saying all of them must be confessed and crucified when they experience rebirth?

I think she's talking about the ordinary experience of being converted, which applies for any person at any time. She doesn't have some special group in mind.

Quote:
T: You only speak of breaking rules. Sin involves more than this. It involves matters of the heart, more subtle things.

M: Do you think a person can sin in the “more subtle matters of the heart” without breaking the law of God?

T: I think a person can do this ignorantly.

M:Please provide an illustration. For example, finish the following story in a way that reflects how you see it playing out, how you see someone committing a subtle sin of the heart without realizing it.

“Jim entered the office and was surprised when everyone broke out singing, For he’s a jolly good fellow. His heart was …. This is an example of a subtle sin of the heart.”

You've lost me.

Quote:
Your comment does not address my question. I understand that you believe the list merely identifies some of the sins unconverted people commit intentionally.

No, this isn't what I said. I said it's a list of some general characteristics of those who are unconverted.

Quote:
Nevertheless, does the list include the sins involving the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

The list is dealing with people who aren't even converted, so this is a superset of what you're asking for, and not something the authors were even discussing.

Quote:
Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”? Also, at what point do you think believers cease to sin in thought?

I think my thoughts are the same as yours for this for your "first group" regarding sins done in ignorance. Regarding ceasing to sin in thought, that would make one perfect, wouldn't it? As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. So whenever one becomes perfect.

Quote:
1. When do you think “obedience is fulfilled”?
2. When do you think “bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” happens?

You could interpret these in different ways, depending on the context. That is, as applying either to justification or sanctification.

Quote:

No. I see no evidence of two groups who experience conversion differently. I believe that all people experience conversion in the same, which is by faith in Christ, and that all, when converted, have sins of ignorance to yet meet.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Since the passage does not say what you believe it implies, it is more logical, in my mind, to take SD 300 at face value and conclude she was describing a specific group of believers, which happens to exclude believers like Luther who were born again ignorantly practicing some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. The onus is upon you to post a passage that describes believers like Luther, a passage that does not require the fanciful art of logical deduction based on implied inferences.

You're the one with the unique idea here. If you have an idea which disagrees with how everyone else sees thing, it's incumbent upon to you to present a good reason why.

What evidence do you have that she even conceived of such a class of people?

Quote:
T: Wasn't this from Steps to Christ? This wasn't a book for SDA's. She couldn't have had your second group in mind, even using your definition of "all things which Jesus commanded" as "doctrines of the SDA church."

M:No, we’re discussing SD 300.

Oh.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #109889
03/15/09 03:42 PM
03/15/09 03:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You seem to be suggesting that SDAs who are living in perfect harmony with our fundamental beliefs come short of the glory of God. In what way?

T: The fundamental beliefs are doctrines. A person can agree to believe and do certain things without even being converted. The Pharisees are examples of this.

You didn’t answer my question. How can a born again converted person live in perfect harmony with our beliefs and come short of the glory of God?

Quote:

M: Is this a cryptic way of saying, Yes, you agree with me?

T: It's more like a straight-forward way of questioning why you're asking this. You're asking me if I'm agreeing with something I've asserted dozens of times over a number of years. Why?

Do you agree with me?

Quote:
M: Do you think seeing their cultivated sinful habits in light of the cross for the first time is shallow compared to what they will know about it 5 years later?

T: It's shallower. Presumably one would learn something in 5 years.

Please post an inspired passage to support the idea that following experience involves a shallow view of sin:

One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner's acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. {SC 29.1}

Quote:

T: I think she's talking about the ordinary experience of being converted, which applies for any person at any time. She doesn't have some special group in mind.

Do you think she expected us to assume some of them would continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth? Here’s the passage again:

Quote:
The old sinful life is dead; the new life entered into with Christ by the pledge of baptism. Practice the virtues of the Saviour's character. Let His wisdom dwell in you richly in all wisdom; "teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." . . . The sins that were practiced before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

Here it is without the ellipse:

The old sinful life is dead, the new life entered into with Christ by the pledge of baptism. Practice the virtues of the Saviour's character. Let His word "dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him" [verses 16, 17]. {19MR 236.2}

These things are to be presented in the churches. Love, compassion, and tenderness are to be revealed amongst us. Put on, as the elect of God, mercy and kindness. The sins that were practiced before conversion are to be put off with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {19MR 236.3}

“The sins that were practiced before conversion are to be put off with the old man.” Why do you think this sentence must be interpreted to mean some people will continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth? She didn’t qualify it as you do. Please post something she wrote that plainly agrees with your assertion.

Quote:
M: Please provide an illustration. For example, finish the following story in a way that reflects how you see it playing out, how you see someone committing a subtle sin of the heart without realizing it.

“Jim entered the office and was surprised when everyone broke out singing, For he’s a jolly good fellow. His heart was …. This is an example of a subtle sin of the heart born again converted believers can commit without realizing they are sinning.”

T: You've lost me.

Please provide an example of a born again converted person committing a subtle sin of the heart without realizing they are sinning. In the unfinished example above I assumed you would have inserted something like – “His heart filled up with pride. This is an example of a subtle sin of the heart born again converted believers can commit without realizing they are sinning.”

Quote:
M: Nevertheless, does the list of 45 blacklisted sins above include the sins involving the “more subtle matters of the heart”?

T: The list is dealing with people who aren't even converted, so this is a superset of what you're asking for, and not something the authors were even discussing.

Do you think the list includes sins unconverted people commit? If so, do you think the list includes sins involving the “more subtle matters of the heart” (your words)? If not, why not? Please elaborate.

Quote:
Do you think a person is born again first and then learns how to crucify the “grosser sins”?

T: I think my thoughts are the same as yours for this for your "first group" regarding sins done in ignorance.

You didn’t answer my question.

Quote:
M: Also, at what point do you think believers cease to sin in thought?

T: Regarding ceasing to sin in thought, that would make one perfect, wouldn't it? As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. So whenever one becomes perfect.

Do you think someone in the first group can commit sins of ignorance in the area of thoughts? And, do you think the people in the second group have reached the point where, like Jesus, they no longer sin in thought? Here’s the description of the two groups:

Quote:

Here’s how Ellen describes the second group:

"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. {DA 123.3}

Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

Do you think people in the second group can sin in thought or word or deed without realizing they are sinning? If so, please explain (use inspired quotes).

Quote:
2 Corinthians
10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

When do you think “obedience is fulfilled”? When do you think “bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” happens?

T: You could interpret these in different ways, depending on the context. That is, as applying either to justification or sanctification.

You didn’t answer my questions.

Quote:
M: We’re talking about the people described in SD 300. Do you think she is talking about believers who continue to ignorantly practice some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to experiencing rebirth? Or, do you agree with me that she is saying all of them must be confessed and crucified when they experience rebirth?

T: No. I see no evidence of two groups who experience conversion differently. I believe that all people experience conversion in the same, which is by faith in Christ, and that all, when converted, have sins of ignorance to yet meet.

Do you think it is possible for someone to experience rebirth and conversion at the same time, that is, 1) confess and crucify all of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth, and 2) live in perfect harmony with Jesus’ sinless example?

Quote:
M: Not necessarily. Since the passage does not say what you believe it implies, it is more logical, in my mind, to take SD 300 at face value and conclude she was describing a specific group of believers, which happens to exclude believers like Luther who were born again ignorantly practicing some of the sinful habits they cultivated prior to rebirth. The onus is upon you to post a passage that describes believers like Luther, a passage that does not require the fanciful art of logical deduction based on implied inferences.

T: You're the one with the unique idea here. If you have an idea which disagrees with how everyone else sees thing, it's incumbent upon to you to present a good reason why.

Please post an inspired passage that clearly describes Luther’s state the moment he experienced rebirth, that is, a passage that describes born again believers who ignorantly practice some of the sins they cultivated prior to rebirth. Since you seem to believe it is such a common belief you should have no problem honoring my request for you to support your assertion. I am not the one saying so, thus the onus is upon you.

Quote:
T: What evidence do you have that she even conceived of such a class of people?

The evidence is as follows:

Quote:
"The prince of this world cometh," said Jesus, "and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. There was in Him nothing that responded to Satan's sophistry. He did not consent to sin. Not even by a thought did He yield to temptation. So it may be with us. Christ's humanity was united with divinity; He was fitted for the conflict by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. And He came to make us partakers of the divine nature. So long as we are united to Him by faith, sin has no more dominion over us. God reaches for the hand of faith in us to direct it to lay fast hold upon the divinity of Christ, that we may attain to perfection of character. {DA 123.3}

Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ. Not even by a thought could our Saviour be brought to yield to the power of temptation. Satan finds in human hearts some point where he can gain a foothold; some sinful desire is cherished, by means of which his temptations assert their power. But Christ declared of Himself: "The prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me." John 14:30. Satan could find nothing in the Son of God that would enable him to gain the victory. He had kept His Father's commandments, and there was no sin in Him that Satan could use to his advantage. This is the condition in which those must be found who shall stand in the time of trouble. {GC 623.1}

You seem to think the state of sinlessness described above can be reached only after years of sinning less and less until sinning ceases altogether. If so, please post inspired passages to support such an assertion.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #109890
03/15/09 03:45 PM
03/15/09 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please respond to 109794 and 109797. Thank you.

Page 50 of 55 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/06/24 12:53 AM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/05/24 09:41 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 08/28/24 02:39 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by Rick H. 09/07/24 09:49 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/05/24 09:37 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Perfection, when will we gain it?
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:18 PM
The Beginning and Ending of the Sabbath
by Rick H. 08/24/24 02:12 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!