HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Sinning Not #11072
10/21/04 05:59 AM
10/21/04 05:59 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Misunderstanding the truth may be the result of living in a sinful world, but it is not a moral defect of character. Yes, it is a mental defect, but not a moral one.

Re: Sinning Not #11073
10/22/04 03:11 AM
10/22/04 03:11 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Saying that you are sinless is a sin in itself. Its called a lie, so by lying you have sinned, by saying you are sinless you have deceived yourself and are calling God a liar, and we all know fully well that nothing that defileth shall enter the kingdom of heaven. Instead of looking at ourselves at how "spotless" "our" lives are we need to look to Jesus and see the true wretched poor excuse of a human we really are, and the only righteousness we will ever have is Christ's righteousness and not ours.
Jesus said that if your righteousness exceeded that of the Pharisees and the Scribes then you would not enter the kingdom of heaven.. I praise God for giving me the gift of eternal life by believing in Christ, and that I can do all things through Him, and if I mess up... Well I can go and ask for forgiveness AND be forgiven. I dont count how many times I have have sinned or have not. God doesn't so why should I.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Sinning Not #11074
10/22/04 03:25 AM
10/22/04 03:25 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What I wrote was this:

"Any sin is coming short of the glory of God and makes a person not sinless. Sin, whether known or unknown, misrepresents God's character. Since by beholding we become changed, it is imperative that we behold God as He really is in Christ Jesus. This is why it would be good to spend a thoughtful hour contemplating the life of Christ each day, especially the latter scenes."

You asked how a sin of ignorance could misrepresent God's character. I explained that.

Your latest post is not responsive to what I'm saying, which is that the most important thing we have to do is to represent God's character as well as possible. Sin, any sin, misrepresents God.

If we focus our efforts to understand God and correctly represent Him, which we do by learning of His revelation of Himself in Jesus Christ, there is no question that God will perfect our characters, which includes victory over all sin, whether known or unknown. However, if we focus on sin, instead of on Christ, that won't happen.

Re: Sinning Not #11075
10/22/04 03:30 AM
10/22/04 03:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Matthew
5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Revelation
19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

1 John
3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

People who insist that the righteousness of born again believers is filthy rags are deceivers, according to the Word of God.

Re: Sinning Not #11076
10/22/04 03:56 AM
10/22/04 03:56 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree with you that making Jesus first, last and best in our life is the only way we can reproduce His lovely character. That's not what I'm disputing. Please understand me.

It seems to me that you are excusing sin by saying born again believers gradually outgrow their defective traits of character by sinning less and less. But the Bible doesn't describe it the same way. Neither does Sister White.

Yes, false doctrines misrepresent God. But sins of ignorance, like breaking the Sabbath, does not. Born again believers are not guilty of committing a known sin when they unwittingly violate the Sabbath.

Therefore, if they are abiding in Christ, they are morally sinless. Yes, they may be doctrinally defective, but sins of ignorance do not and cannot contaminate the moral character. We must first choose to violate our conscience and convictions before we are morally guilty. No choice, no moral sin.

GC 510
No man without his own consent can be overcome by Satan. The tempter has no power to control the will or to force the soul to sin. He may distress, but he cannot contaminate. He can cause agony, but not defilement. The fact that Christ has conquered should inspire His followers with courage to fight manfully the battle against sin and Satan. {GC 510.3}

4T 294, 295
Man, who has defaced the image of God in his soul by a corrupt life, cannot, by mere human effort, effect a radical change in himself. He must accept the provisions of the gospel; he must be reconciled to God through obedience to His law and faith in Jesus Christ. His life from thenceforth must be governed by a new principle. Through repentance, faith, and good works he may perfect a righteous character, and claim, through the merits of Christ, the privileges of the sons of God. The principles of divine truth, received and cherished in the heart, will carry us to a height of moral excellence that we had not deemed it possible for us to reach. "And it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is. And every man that hath this hope in Him purifieth himself, even as He is pure." {4T 294.2}

Here is a work for man to do. He must face the mirror, God's law, discern the defects in his moral character, and put away his sins, washing his robe of character in the blood of the Lamb. Envy, pride, malice, deceit, strife, and crime will be cleansed from the heart that is a recipient of the love of Christ and that cherishes the hope of being made like Him when we shall see Him as He is. The religion of Christ refines and dignifies its possessor, whatever his associations or station in life may be. Men who become enlightened Christians rise above the level of their former character into greater mental and moral strength. Those fallen and degraded by sin and crime may, through the merits of the Saviour, be exalted to a position but little lower than that of the angels. {4T 294.3}

Re: Sinning Not #11077
10/21/04 04:08 PM
10/21/04 04:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Will wrote:
quote:
I dont count how many times I have have sinned or have not. God doesn't so why should I.

Sister White wrote:
quote:
GC 481, 482
There is a record also of the sins of men. "For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Says the Saviour: "By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Ecclesiastes 12:14; Matthew 12:36, 37. The secret purposes and motives appear in the unerring register; for God "will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts." I Corinthians 4:5. "Behold, it is written before Me, . . . your iniquities, and the iniquities of your fathers together, saith the Lord." Isaiah 65:6, 7. {GC 481.2}

Every man's work passes in review before God and is registered for faithfulness or unfaithfulness. Opposite each name in the books of heaven is entered with terrible exactness every wrong word, every selfish act, every unfulfilled duty, and every secret sin, with every artful dissembling. Heaven-sent warnings or reproofs neglected, wasted moments, unimproved opportunities, the influence exerted for good or for evil, with its far-reaching results, all are chronicled by the recording angel. {GC 482.1}

Re: Sinning Not #11078
10/21/04 04:41 PM
10/21/04 04:41 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mike Lowe said that born again believers are not guilty of committing a known sin when they unwittingly violate the Sabbath.

How about when they unwittingly violate the 4th Commandment? Isn't that part of the moral law?

Can they unwittingly violate the 3rd, the 6th, the 8th?

Re: Sinning Not #11079
10/21/04 05:17 PM
10/21/04 05:17 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
God reveals to us in His word:
quote:

Psalms 103:8-12
8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.
10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Just in case:

quote:

Isaiah 43:25
25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Looks like God will not only blot out your sins, but also NOT remember them. The Bible is very clear about this.
God Bless,
Will

Re: Sinning Not #11080
10/21/04 09:29 PM
10/21/04 09:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom, I agree with you that making Jesus first, last and best in our life is the only way we can reproduce His lovely character. That's not what I'm disputing. Please understand me.

It seems to me that you are excusing sin by saying born again believers gradually outgrow their defective traits of character by sinning less and less. But the Bible doesn't describe it the same way. Neither does Sister White.

What I am saying is that the important issue is the revelation of God's character. Eternal life is knowing God. God saves us be revealing Himself to us. This He does through Jesus Christ. Any sin falsely reveals God, whether known or not.

Our goal should be to correctly represent God. The way to do this is perceive Him as He is, and represent Him as He is.

Take the Pharisees as an example. Some of them may not have been committing known sins. It appears Paul, or Saul, wasn't since he said he did all things according to his conscience. Yet he was certainly misrepresenting God. In fact, he was persecuting God, without knowing it.

The only way to overcome sin, IMO, is to believe God's revelation of Himself in Jesus Christ. Anyone who does this will be made perfect. I have repeatedly quoted the following:

"God has made provision that we may become like unto Him, and He will accomplish this for all who do not interpose a perverse will and thus frustrate His grace." MB 76

This quote in a commentary on "Be ye therefore perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect." To be perfect is to be like Christ. God will make anyone like Christ who does not resist Him. This is perfection. This is victory of sin. This is not an excuse to sin, but the only way to overcome it.

I don't look at the process as "sinning less and less." The way I look at the process is as becoming more and more like Christ.

Re: Sinning Not #11081
10/21/04 11:14 PM
10/21/04 11:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Can they unwittingly violate the 3rd, the 6th, the 8th?

Not if they are being led and empowered by the Holy Spirit. The Sabbath is the only commandment that a born again believer can unwittingly violate, that is, without realizing it.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!