HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,217
Posts195,975
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 30
Rick H 26
Daryl 4
asygo 3
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111518
04/10/09 01:58 PM
04/10/09 01:58 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
To me, the above implications (i.e. non-explicit) examples are clear. By saying these things were not explicit, I never said they were not clear. Non-explicit things can be and frequently are nonetheless clear.

Well said.

For example:
If the instructions were to drive 4 miles south of town, turn right and go to the tall building, then park in back, it is implied that one has access to a vehicle. Would that not be clear to anyone reading the instructions? At least in this day in this country.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Apparently not clear enough to prevent them from killing their Messiah.

Jesus said though one rise from the dead, they would not believe. Two people rose from the dead and they still did not believe. I seem to recall that Ellen White said something about if given a chance they would crucify Him again. Do you really think "clarity" had anything to do with preventing them from killing Him? Do you think that perhaps being clear about He claiming to be the Son of God caused them to kill Him? Some did not want to kill Him. Does killing or not killing Him imply clarity? What would it take for them to not kill Him?

Quote:
Something like the following would be clear - "The Son of God will eventually die for our sins. The animal sacrifices symbolize His death."

Really?

I mean, really. Do you think, as they were leading Him to the hill, if he should say, "I am the Son of God and it is foretold I would die for your sins. The animal sacrifices which you do symbolize my death" they would say, "Oh, that is so clear. Please forgive us and we'll let you continue your ministry"? Or if you need it be, if Moses had specifically said that, would it have made a difference?

Do you really think that would prevent them from killing Him? Or would it just be a clear requirement for you? I really think you misunderstood why they killed Him as to why you presented that argument.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111525
04/10/09 03:36 PM
04/10/09 03:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:So this can easily explain how something could be clear to them which is not clear to you.

M:Apparently not clear enough to prevent them from killing their Messiah.

An absolutely amazing statement. As if clarity had anything to do with why Christ was rejected. kland has addressed this point elsewhere, so I won't add more than to say it seems you've missed the real issues involved in Christ's rejection, and in doing so have unintentionally, I'm sure, by implication cast aspersions upon God (i.e., making God responsible for their rejection of Christ, since God wasn't clear about it, and they wouldn't have rejected Christ if He had been).

Quote:
Also, please bear in mind they had oral tradition to help them interpret the cryptic language employed in the OT.

A point you seem to be missing, MM, is that the language in the OT was not cryptic to them. It's cryptic to you, because you are not a Hebrew who lived over 3 thousand or years ago.

Quote:
Remember, Moses spelled it out for them in plain terms.

You're saying he spelled it out for them in plain terms orally, but not written? What inspired statement do you base this on?

Quote:
Something like the following would be clear - "The Son of God will eventually die for our sins. The animal sacrifices symbolize His death."

To a Hebrew living over 3,000 years ago? What makes you think so? Specifically, why do you think the word "symbolize" would have meaning to them? I don't think that word even exists in Hebrew.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #111630
04/11/09 07:03 PM
04/11/09 07:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Quote:
T: I think people have stated the passages to you from the Pentateuch, but it isn't clear to you.

M: Again, even GC admitted that it is "implied" and not explicit. That's been my point all along.

T: So this can easily explain how something could be clear to them which is not clear to you.

M: Apparently not clear enough to prevent them from killing their Messiah. Also, please bear in mind they had oral tradition to help them interpret the cryptic language employed in the OT. Remember, Moses spelled it out for them in plain terms.

T: When it became clear to me that you didn't believe Jesus, John, or Paul were clear, or any inspired author saving Ellen White, then, of course, it was no surprise that you wouldn't see Moses as being clear.

M: You seem to agree with me that it is implied rather than plainly spelled out.

GC: Mike, the real question is, why do you ask for such clarity? Why is this important to you? Why does it matter?

Are you going to make some great theological insight whose profoundness we can all learn from? OR are you inclined towards casting a shadow over the Sacred Writ which would deprive it of its power and Divine stamp?

Must all things be said explicitly? Would you prefer that the text says, for example, "And Adam had sexual relations with his wife Eve" in lieu of "And Adam knew his wife Eve"? Does the prophecy referring to Jesus in Psalm 22 fail of being a prophecy because Jesus is never mentioned there, and it appears as if David were speaking of himself?

What is your point?

To me, the above implications (i.e. non-explicit) examples are clear. By saying these things were not explicit, I never said they were not clear. Non-explicit things can be and frequently are nonetheless clear.

The point is – The Pentateuch does not clearly explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. That’s it! No ulterior motive to undermine the authority of God or the Bible. I am simply agreeing with you that both are “implied” in the Pentateuch and that neither are clearly stated or explained. Which I see as no problem, since we are not limited to the Pentateuch. We have the entire Bible and the entire SOP to guide us aright.

Yes, it is “clear” to you and me, but that’s because we have the benefit of the rest of the Bible and the SOP. Otherwise, it would not be as clear or explicit. We could easily believe as do many other Christians things which you and I both vehemently oppose (e.g. the moral influence theory). The Jews, of course, benefited from what Moses plainly told them, namely, that the Son of God would eventually die to atone for their sins and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death, which, unfortunately, he did not record for our benefit.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: kland] #111631
04/11/09 07:37 PM
04/11/09 07:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Apparently not clear enough to prevent them from killing their Messiah.

K: Jesus said though one rise from the dead, they would not believe. Two people rose from the dead and they still did not believe. I seem to recall that Ellen White said something about if given a chance they would crucify Him again. Do you really think "clarity" had anything to do with preventing them from killing Him? Do you think that perhaps being clear about He claiming to be the Son of God caused them to kill Him? Some did not want to kill Him. Does killing or not killing Him imply clarity? What would it take for them to not kill Him?

Jesus said, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” And Ellen observed, “Had they known that they were putting to torture One who had come to save the sinful race from eternal ruin, they would have been seized with remorse and horror.” {DA 744.3} So, yes, I think ignorance played a big part.

Quote:
M: Something like the following would be clear - "The Son of God will eventually die for our sins. The animal sacrifices symbolize His death."

K: Really? I mean, really. Do you think, as they were leading Him to the hill, if he should say, "I am the Son of God and it is foretold I would die for your sins. The animal sacrifices which you do symbolize my death" they would say, "Oh, that is so clear. Please forgive us and we'll let you continue your ministry"? Or if you need it be, if Moses had specifically said that, would it have made a difference? Do you really think that would prevent them from killing Him? Or would it just be a clear requirement for you? I really think you misunderstood why they killed Him as to why you presented that argument.

I think the Jews clamored for Jesus’ crucifixion because they truly believed He was a deceiver and a blasphemer, and they arrived at this conclusion based on a misunderstanding of the mission and message of the Messiah.

However, this isn’t what I had in mind when I wrote what you quoted above. Someone asked me to give an example of what I thought would qualify as a clear statement regarding the two aspects of this thread. Do you agree with me that the example I provided represents a clear statement? If so, do you know where in the Pentateuch wrote something as clear as this example?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #111632
04/11/09 08:01 PM
04/11/09 08:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
T: So this can easily explain how something could be clear to them which is not clear to you.

M: Apparently not clear enough to prevent them from killing their Messiah.

T: An absolutely amazing statement. As if clarity had anything to do with why Christ was rejected. kland has addressed this point elsewhere, so I won't add more than to say it seems you've missed the real issues involved in Christ's rejection, and in doing so have unintentionally, I'm sure, by implication cast aspersions upon God (i.e., making God responsible for their rejection of Christ, since God wasn't clear about it, and they wouldn't have rejected Christ if He had been).

I’ll repost what Ellen wrote about it:

Had they known that they were putting to torture One who had come to save the sinful race from eternal ruin, they would have been seized with remorse and horror. But their ignorance did not remove their guilt; for it was their privilege to know and accept Jesus as their Saviour. Some of them would yet see their sin, and repent, and be converted. Some by their impenitence would make it an impossibility for the prayer of Christ to be answered for them. Yet, just the same, God's purpose was reaching its fulfillment. Jesus was earning the right to become the advocate of men in the Father's presence. {DA 744.3}

In the past you have argued heartily that the Bible has hooks upon which we can hang our doubts if we so choose, that not everything is plainly spelled out so as to remove all room for doubt. Ellen concurs:

While God has given ample evidence for faith, He will never remove all excuse for unbelief. All who look for hooks to hang their doubts upon will find them. And those who refuse to accept and obey God's word until every objection has been removed, and there is no longer an opportunity for doubt, will never come to the light. {GC 527.2}

Does this insight force us to conclude God is to blame because He has not clearly spelled everything out in the Bible? No, of course not! Certain aspects of the Bible are purposefully vague or cryptic. It forces us to dig deep and work hard to discover the truths that can set us free.

Quote:
M: Also, please bear in mind they had oral tradition to help them interpret the cryptic language employed in the OT.

T: A point you seem to be missing, MM, is that the language in the OT was not cryptic to them. It's cryptic to you, because you are not a Hebrew who lived over 3 thousand or years ago.

True, it would have been clearer to the Jews who were taught it by Moses in person. His unrecorded explanations were fresh in their minds. However, the passing of time has a way of distancing the obvious connection made by earlier generations who were there in person and who heard the explanations that were not recorded.

Quote:
M: Remember, Moses spelled it out for them in plain terms.

T: You're saying he spelled it out for them in plain terms orally, but not written? What inspired statement do you base this on?

Ellen says so in different places throughout the SOP. Do you agree? She also saw in vision that God explained it to Adam and Enoch who in turn passed it on to their descendants.

Quote:
M: Something like the following would be clear - "The Son of God will eventually die for our sins. The animal sacrifices symbolize His death."

T: To a Hebrew living over 3,000 years ago? What makes you think so? Specifically, why do you think the word "symbolize" would have meaning to them? I don't think that word even exists in Hebrew.

Yes, even to Hebrews who learned from Moses! Are you suggesting they had no concept of the Son of God eventually coming to die for their sins? And, are you suggesting they had no concept of the animal sacrifices symbolizing the death of Jesus?

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Mountain Man] #111652
04/12/09 01:24 AM
04/12/09 01:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Certain aspects of the Bible are purposefully vague or cryptic.

Do you have some inspired statement to support this idea? Are you saying God is behind this? God is purposefully vague or cryptic? In what circumstances? Is He so with fundamental doctrines? Like the Sabbath, or the stated of the dead, or the Gospel?

Quote:
T: A point you seem to be missing, MM, is that the language in the OT was not cryptic to them. It's cryptic to you, because you are not a Hebrew who lived over 3 thousand or years ago.

M:True, it would have been clearer to the Jews who were taught it by Moses in person. His unrecorded explanations were fresh in their minds. However, the passing of time has a way of distancing the obvious connection made by earlier generations who were there in person and who heard the explanations that were not recorded.

MM, do you not think it's possible that you're simply ignorant on this point? That you don't understand the ancient Hebrew culture, and that if you did you might find what Moses wrote to be clear? Is this possible?

Quote:
M: Remember, Moses spelled it out for them in plain terms.

T: You're saying he spelled it out for them in plain terms orally, but not written? What inspired statement do you base this on?

M:Ellen says so in different places throughout the SOP. Do you agree?

No, of course not. She never said Moses' written messages regarding the death of Christ were unclear but his orally he was clear. This is a baseless claim.

Quote:

T: To a Hebrew living over 3,000 years ago? What makes you think so? Specifically, why do you think the word "symbolize" would have meaning to them? I don't think that word even exists in Hebrew.

M:Yes, even to Hebrews who learned from Moses! Are you suggesting they had no concept of the Son of God eventually coming to die for their sins?

No, I'm not suggesting this. I'm suggesting what I said, which is that what you wrote as something which would have been clear would not have been clear to them. You're thinking in Greek terms, not Hebrew.

Quote:
And, are you suggesting they had no concept of the animal sacrifices symbolizing the death of Jesus?

No, I'm not suggesting this. I'm saying you're thinking in terms which are more Greek and Western than Hebrew. Your whole paradigm is different than theirs. What you think would have been clear is something which would have been clear to you, but not to them. What Moses wrote was clear to them, but you can't see this, because it's not clear to you, and you're not familiar with their culture or thinking. You're allowing your ignorance to define what you think they could clearly perceive.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #111653
04/12/09 01:39 AM
04/12/09 01:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The point is – The Pentateuch does not clearly explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death. That’s it! No ulterior motive to undermine the authority of God or the Bible. I am simply agreeing with you that both are “implied” in the Pentateuch and that neither are clearly stated or explained. Which I see as no problem, since we are not limited to the Pentateuch. We have the entire Bible and the entire SOP to guide us aright.

Yes, it is “clear” to you and me, but that’s because we have the benefit of the rest of the Bible and the SOP. Otherwise, it would not be as clear or explicit. We could easily believe as do many other Christians things which you and I both vehemently oppose (e.g. the moral influence theory). The Jews, of course, benefited from what Moses plainly told them, namely, that the Son of God would eventually die to atone for their sins and that the animal sacrifices symbolize His death, which, unfortunately, he did not record for our benefit.

Here's where we disagree. You think the Bible is not clear about why Christ had to die, but the SOP was. I think Ellen White would have strongly disagreed with you. Also, given you don't think Paul, Jesus, or John were clear, I don't see how you could possibly think Moses was. I don't even see why you would want to pursue the issue.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #111655
04/12/09 02:42 AM
04/12/09 02:42 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Certain aspects of the Bible are purposefully vague or cryptic. It forces us to dig deep and work hard to discover the truths that can set us free.

I agree with Mike on this point. One does not need any statement saying specifically that it is thus. Reading the Bible for oneself proves the statement.

However, there are a number of Jesus' statements to support this. One of them is the parable of the hidden treasure in the field. One is the oft-repeated statement "he that hath an ear, let him hear." This is usually stated following a hard saying. Even the disciples did not understand Jesus' parables, and frequently asked Him to explain them.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Green Cochoa] #111676
04/12/09 11:26 PM
04/12/09 11:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think the problem is so much that God purposefully made the Scripture vague or cryptic, but that spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

Re: Where did Moses explain why Jesus had to die or that the animal sacrifices symbolized His death? [Re: Tom] #111677
04/12/09 11:52 PM
04/12/09 11:52 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
I don't think the problem is so much that God purposefully made the Scripture vague or cryptic, but that spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

Are you saying an omniscient and omnipotent God would do something unintentionally?

Of course it was intentional. The question should be, Why does He do this? It is for our benefit.

A popular English saying sums it up in a worldly sort of way: "No pain, no gain." If we did not have to dig for the buried treasure, we would not treasure it.

I agree, however, that spiritual things are spiritually discerned.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 09/18/24 05:00 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 09/11/24 05:20 PM
The Judgment of the Living
by kland. 09/10/24 06:13 PM
Fireballs in the Sky
by kland. 09/10/24 06:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 09/10/24 11:45 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 09/03/24 05:48 PM
Are All Born Saved and All Choose to be Lost?
by dedication. 09/01/24 04:02 PM
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 09/01/24 03:48 PM
Deep down, are humans basically good?
by kland. 08/28/24 12:10 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by kland. 08/28/24 11:29 AM
O Canada for Freedom
by Rick H. 08/24/24 01:54 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 09/19/24 11:34 AM
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 09/19/24 11:04 AM
SDA Infiltration by Jesuits?
by kland. 09/17/24 11:30 AM
The church appears about to fall.
by dedication. 09/16/24 03:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 09/05/24 09:39 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 09/02/24 04:58 PM
Timeline of the Last Day Events
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:28 PM
Is God letting loose the Four Winds of Strife?
by Rick H. 08/31/24 07:29 AM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by Rick H. 08/31/24 04:13 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 08/31/24 03:57 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 08/30/24 08:22 PM
LLU Endorses Gay Pride Month!
by kland. 08/28/24 11:36 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!