HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Andrew, Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield
1325 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,223
Posts196,066
Members1,325
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
kland 21
Rick H 16
Daryl 2
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Dina, dedication, 1 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111292
04/06/09 02:41 PM
04/06/09 02:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I've heard it said there will be great surprise in who is there and who isn't, and someone said that greatest shock would be finding oneself there.

There's also the person who said that when he thinks of himself, there's no way he can imagine being in heaven, but when he thinks of Christ, there's no way he can imagine not being there.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111298
04/06/09 04:08 PM
04/06/09 04:08 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
We are not to be anxious about what Christ and God think of us, but about what God thinks of Christ, our Substitute. {FLB 113.6}

Assurance comes only by looking for it in the right place.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111309
04/06/09 07:14 PM
04/06/09 07:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This seems to me to be an intermediate step. I'll first explain what I mean, and then see if you agree.

From "The Desire of Ages"

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. (DA 480)

There are other places in the SOP where it speaks of the motivations of shunning hell and gaining heaven. One could see these as contradictory to the above statement, but I think it's a matter of maturity. To a new believer, it's natural to be primarily motivated by hope of reward and fear of punishment. As one grows, however, one becomes enamored of Christ, and one is motivated by the beauties of His character, the beauty of Christ Himself. Other motivations fail, which I think is EGW's point.

So this (being motivated by hope of reward or fear of punishment) is an example what I'm calling an intermediate step.

I think being anxious of what God thinks of Christ is another example. If one is going to be anxious, it's certainly better to be anxious of what God thinks of Christ rather than what He thinks of us. But why be anxious at all about what God thinks? That is, as we come to know God, and see that He is indeed like Jesus Christ, we trust Him, which removes our being anxious. Are we anxious about what Christ thinks of us? If not, we shouldn't be anxious of what God thinks of us either.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111338
04/07/09 03:42 PM
04/07/09 03:42 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
If I understand you correctly, I agree with what you're saying. That's why I think the oft-asked question, "Are you saved?" is asked and answered by immature people. Mature people don't normally think in terms of avoiding bad things and gaining good things, but of being with God. (BTW, I touched on this in my sermon on the Consecration chapter of SC.)

But there is another angle. When you are standing naked in front of another person, say your doctor, feelings of self-consciousness and embarrassment are natural. That's because there are physical imperfections. Even if we can't specify what imperfections we are embarrassed about, even if there aren't any that human eyes could see, the feeling remains. I believe that applies spiritually also, even in the 144k.

Of course, there are those who are unashamed in flaunting their physical attributes. They have a supreme sense of pride in their bodies, and don't mind letting others ogle. I think this also happens spiritually, when we are proud of our "body of work."

The solution is to ever remember that God is looking at Christ. So for the embarrassed, don't worry about it because God is looking at Jesus, not you. For the proud, don't think that your accomplishments are all that because God is looking at Jesus, not you.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111340
04/07/09 07:16 PM
04/07/09 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The solution is to ever remember that God is looking at Christ. So for the embarrassed, don't worry about it because God is looking at Jesus, not you.

This is what I'm suggesting is an intermediate step. If we are anxious about God, then it's nice to think of God as looking at Christ instead of us. However, if we're not anxious about God's looking at us, there's no need. Of course, when God looks at us, He sees as as we really are.

God doesn't need a filter; we do. The problem is with how we see God, not how He sees us. If it helps us to perceive of God as looking at Jesus, OK, that's better than being afraid of God. But why be afraid in the first place?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111372
04/08/09 03:30 AM
04/08/09 03:30 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Then we're not seeing the same thing.

You're talking about being afraid of God. I'm talking about being embarrassed.

Try to imagine being in the comfort of your own home, by yourself, completely naked. Afraid? No. Embarrassed? No.

Then install a camera that broadcasts everything on national TV. Afraid? Nothing to be afraid of; still as safe as ever. Embarrassed? Maybe a little.

When the prophets came face-to-face with the undimmed holiness of God, what was the reaction? Fell on their faces. Comeliness turned into corruption.

What about when the 144k are living without a Mediator? They don't strut around proclaiming, "Hey, God's my buddy. There's nothing to worry about." The SOP gives us a different picture.

What about unfallen angels in the presence of God? The ones with 6 wings only use 2 to fly, 67% of their wing area is used to cover themselves. Afraid? I don't think so.

I see what you're seeing, and I agree. I hope you're getting a glimpse now of what I'm seeing.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: Tom] #111408
04/08/09 05:32 PM
04/08/09 05:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

Tom, did you overlook where I pointed out this insight earlier on this thread? I don't disagree with what you wrote. My comments are completely consistent with the whole picture.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111409
04/08/09 05:34 PM
04/08/09 05:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Also, do you think feeling like you aren't measuring up is right and healthy? Or, did you have something else in mind?

I'm on the same page with Teresa. I think your ideas here are truly frightening. I recall Ellen White speaking of herself, referring to how she lamented not better reflecting the Master (I can't recall her exact words well enough to find the quote), but it reflected the humility one would expect in a follower of Christ.

As we look to Christ, we see our own unworthiness. As long as we live, our prayer should be, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner." Our only hope is in God's great mercy, grace and love. Not in our own ability to do anything, least of all "measure up."

i couldnt find the words. thank you. thanks

Teresaq, are you afraid to believe God is pleased with your walk and progress in righteousness and true holiness?

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: asygo] #111410
04/08/09 05:41 PM
04/08/09 05:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold, I'm sure you couldn't help noticing that my posts above included this aspect of reality. It doesn't appear to me, though, that you are including the other side of the picture portrayed in the passages I posted above. Do you agree that they depict what I've been advocating here? If not, please explain why. Thank you.

True, we are called to overcome sin and obey God. And by God's grace, it can be accomplished.

But there are shades of meaning and varying degrees of overcoming and obeying. The obedience required of the high priest is not the same as that required of the toddler. But to our discussion at hand, the high priest should have a much clearer view of the magnitude of God's glory that he should have a much clearer view of his shortcomings.

Quote:
But he who is truly seeking for holiness of heart and life delights in the law of God, and mourns only that he falls so far short of meeting its requirements. {SL 81.1}

When we get a good view of God's glory, and truly desire to reflect it in our own character, His light will clearly reveal that we fall short of His glory.

Even in the New Earth we shall come far short of the glory of God. This isn't referring to sin, though; instead, it is referring to maturation. Eternity isn't long enough for us to exhaust our potential to become more like Jesus. Becoming more like Jesus has nothing to do with discovering unknown sins and overcoming them. On the contrary, it means maturing more and more in the fruits of the Spirit. You seem to be implying it means gradually outgrowing sinful habits.

Re: PERFECTION OF CHARACTER -What is it exactly? [Re: teresaq] #111411
04/08/09 05:50 PM
04/08/09 05:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Claudia Thompson
That one ays though we know we are sinful we arent supposed to FOCUS on that.

So if we keep on focusing upon our deformities this isnt going to do us any good. We actually do in a way need to "feel" good about ourselves because we are relying upon the merits of Christ and we realize God sees Jesus when He looks at us, right?

it sounds like there are some who can only see an either/or and not a third path.

no one, as far as i know, is saying anything about "focusing on our deformities". to the contrary. as we look at Jesus, really look at Jesus, we become more and more conscious of our deformities. but we are always to keep our eyes and Jesus, study His life, meditate on it, and in so doing as well as appropriating the bible promises we become more and more like Him.

Teresaq, you seem to be implying that becoming more and more like Jesus means becoming less and less like Satan. The Bible says that those believers who are abiding in Jesus do not and cannot sin. If we take this promise and description at face value it means they do not and cannot sin while they are abiding in Jesus. If this is the case then it also means their imperfections and defects and weaknesses do not constitute a sin. IOW, they are not sinning simply because they have them. Having them and indulging them are two totally different realities. So as long as believers rein in their defects, weaknesses, and imperfections they are not guilty of sinning. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Profiles Of Jesus In Zecharia
by dedication. 10/15/24 12:56 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 10/14/24 12:13 PM
Fourth quarter, 2024, The Gospel of John
by dedication. 10/13/24 12:51 PM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 10/10/24 12:36 PM
The October 7th Massacre and Zechariah 9 Prophecy
by dedication. 10/08/24 05:41 PM
When they say Peace and Safety...
by Rick H. 10/01/24 11:56 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by Rick H. 09/28/24 10:02 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 09/22/24 02:05 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Dr Conrad Vine Banned
by kland. 10/15/24 05:21 PM
Understanding the 1,260-year Prophecy
by kland. 10/15/24 05:12 PM
What Should Be Our Response to the "Sunday Laws"?
by dedication. 10/13/24 01:08 AM
Understanding the 1290 & 1335 of Daniel 12?
by dedication. 10/11/24 02:16 PM
Are The Prophecies Important?
by dedication. 10/08/24 04:18 PM
The Beast and the Image Beast
by Rick H. 10/05/24 04:40 AM
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 10/03/24 11:50 PM
Why Is Papacy Uniting COVID/Climate Change
by kland. 10/03/24 12:06 PM
The 1260 Year Prophecy & The Roman Catholic Church
by dedication. 09/26/24 06:13 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!